Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-14-2012, 01:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,462 Posts
Default Organic milk with a 1 year shelf life?!?!

Advertise Here

I was shopping a little while back and noticed a display of unrefrigerated Horizon brand organic milk.

Curious, I took a closer look and noticed that some containers had an expiration date of 2013?!?!? I picked up a couple of small containers, but have yet to try it.

So, has anyone tried it yet? If so, what's your opinion? And, can it really sit unrefrigerated on a shelf for nearly a year?!?!
Old 06-14-2012, 01:32 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,467 Times in 32,610 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Shelf stable milk is nothing new. Been around for years. It's the same aseptic box technology that they use for juice and other stuff. The milk tastes a little different because it has been heat processed, but it's better than powdered.

I don't know how long it will last past it's "best by" date, but I have tomatoes packaged in the same type of box that have lasted several years past the date.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 01:36 PM

In Central and South America, this is the "norm".

But as MikeK said, this stuff tastes different. Not good or bad, just different.
The Following User Says Thank You to CajunCanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM

Is it heat-processed or irradiated?
The Following User Says Thank You to kb58 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Target Shooter

The ones I've seen are ultra pasteurized, which is heat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to octotat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 02:06 PM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,803 Times in 8,994 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synical1 View Post
I was shopping a little while back and noticed a display of unrefrigerated Horizon brand organic milk.

Curious, I took a closer look and noticed that some containers had an expiration date of 2013?!?!? I picked up a couple of small containers, but have yet to try it.

So, has anyone tried it yet? If so, what's your opinion? And, can it really sit unrefrigerated on a shelf for nearly a year?!?!
I have tried it and it tasted just like normal milk to me, even the chocolate milk was pretty good. The Kroger's near my house had some on clearance ( it was near the expiration date) and I bought all they had (about 12 of the individual serving cartons, various flavors) and over the next few weeks I would drink one or two a day and never had any problems with taste or spoilage at all. I never refrigerated any of it and it was not in the cold section at the grocery store when I bought it. Although it does work with cereal, I really recommend chilling it before pouring it on your Cheerios.... warm milk on Cheerios is just wrong.... trust me.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Not playing games

Thanked 1,657 Times in 701 Posts

Soy milk comes the same way, but seems over-priced to me.

a related query;
I got some of the powdered stuff out of a bin last year, how long does that stuff last, normally?
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Exorcist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Servant of יהוה

tastes fine, but not the healthiest option, in my opinion might as well buy powdered at that point has a longer shelf life
The Following User Says Thank You to jehoiakim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 03:40 PM
I love this forum

If health is not of concern it may be OK.... A pygmy goat may be a better choice for long term milk source... Plus I cant think of anything healthier than a glass of fresh Raw Goats milk...
Old 06-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Bill

+1 tastes OK you get used to eat get the chocolate. I used to get cases of it from the supply Sgt after we came back form the field when I was in the army and a poor private kids grew up on it .
The Following User Says Thank You to waywardbills For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,008 Times in 350 Posts

For a whole milk powder I like this brand, plus taste good as a powdered dairy substitute when camping for your coffee. Two year storage life on can but I have some opened past expiration and don't notice any deterioration.

Sams Club sells the low fat version but I order the whole milk version from Amazon. See the Amazon reviews as well. Little bit higher butterfat content 3.7%? for a powdered milk product but then maybe that's why it taste better.

http://www.nestlenido.com/AllAboutNido/Default.aspx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhyNot For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 04:16 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 15,539 Times in 6,095 Posts

That is great milk - Horizon - though I stopped drinking it cause its about twice as much as regular milk.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM
King of Nido

Thanked 1,978 Times in 908 Posts

Is it really fresh if its a couple years old?
Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,008 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
Is it really fresh if its a couple years old?
I bought the three pack from Amazon and am on the last can which is 6 months past the 2 year expire date and it seems to taste fine. Use it mostly as a coffee creamer for now as we have home milk delivery.

It always taste better to me than the grocery store stocked powdered milks like Carnation and such. But then it is a whole milk product which in powdered form more difficult to find. Try splitting a 3 pack with someone to see if you like it.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,760 Times in 3,378 Posts

Sounds like some stuff we picked up in the Navy back in the late 70's while in Singapore. I didn't like the flavor of the white milk but the chocolate and strawberry was pretty good. It came in cartons similar to juice packs. It even came with that real thin plastic straw too.

I haven't had any since then but It's still sold in lots of 3rd world places that don't have refrigeration.

Nido is now my go to powdered milk for drinking milk. That and Mourning Moo. LDS non fat powdered milk for baked goods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Exorcist View Post
I got some of the powdered stuff out of a bin last year, how long does that stuff last, normally?
LDS says powdered non fat powdered milk, stored in an O2 free environment is good for 10 years or more. The stuff with fats in it, like Nido has a much shorter shelf life. Maybe 2-3 years. 5 if you can't smell rancid fats very well.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,516 Times in 2,331 Posts

Ultra pasteurized milk lasts a long time. Irradiated milk lasts even longer.