Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
A-Team A-Team is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,772
Thanks: 1,058
Thanked 2,313 Times in 824 Posts
Default 3rivers Archery rocks



Advertise Here

I'm new to archery and about as lost as a ball in high grass as to what to get both both and arrow wise. I've lucked out and found some starter bows that are turning out great... but getting broadhard arrows no matter how I sliced it was going to cost $$$ and this was rough because as a beginner I really don't know what it is I'm really going to want/need/like.

So I'm talking on the phone to the 3Rivers adviser and he says "Well, we have an 8 arrow test kit you may want to consider." It gives you 4 different arrows types... 2 of each... 8 arrows total. I got wood shafts... a variety of broadheads (even a couple bodkins) and at the end of the day $80 total icluding shipping.

For me... this rocks because normally I would have been looking at minimum $85-90 not including shipping for 6 arrows... and I wouldn't have been able to try different broadheads or shafts. This lets me test the full range of what I want to consider... and when it is time to plunk down $$$ for a dozen... I will know exactly what I'm getting.

3Rivers thinks ahead.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 PM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,691
Thanks: 38
Thanked 5,501 Times in 3,257 Posts
Default

Told you so

Did you get glue-on or screw-in?


For those that don't know, the test kit is two different arrows in a different spine weight for a total of four different spine weights...The one that works the best from your bow you would then go and order a dozen or so of them.

As a general rule of thumb if you have two that work about the same, it's safer to go up in spine (draw) weight then down...I've seen lots of lighter for weight arrows--with hair line cracks--shatter just at release and some serious injuries occurred to the forearm, wrist or hand of the shooter.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 PM
scoutrifleshooter's Avatar
scoutrifleshooter scoutrifleshooter is offline
All around gun nut
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 197
Thanks: 123
Thanked 177 Times in 86 Posts
Default

The only place I order from!! Fast service. Decent prices.. From novice to pro.. They have what you need!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:51 AM
Vacas Locas's Avatar
Vacas Locas Vacas Locas is offline
Blame Canada.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ft. Collins Colorado
Posts: 3,227
Thanks: 1,692
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
I'm new to archery and about as lost as a ball in high grass as to what to get both both and arrow wise. I've lucked out and found some starter bows that are turning out great... but getting broadhard arrows no matter how I sliced it was going to cost $$$ and this was rough because as a beginner I really don't know what it is I'm really going to want/need/like.

So I'm talking on the phone to the 3Rivers adviser and he says "Well, we have an 8 arrow test kit you may want to consider." It gives you 4 different arrows types... 2 of each... 8 arrows total. I got wood shafts... a variety of broadheads (even a couple bodkins) and at the end of the day $80 total icluding shipping.

For me... this rocks because normally I would have been looking at minimum $85-90 not including shipping for 6 arrows... and I wouldn't have been able to try different broadheads or shafts. This lets me test the full range of what I want to consider... and when it is time to plunk down $$$ for a dozen... I will know exactly what I'm getting.

3Rivers thinks ahead.
It gets cheaper to. 3Rivers is handy, and the best marketed, but $80.00 for two arrows of a different spine in a set of 8 is a bit high. Wood gets cheaper as you look around, same with accessories. Hell, soon you will be making your own, gloves, tabs, arm guards, arrows, shafts, blunts, broad heads, strings, quivers bows, you name it.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:43 PM
A-Team A-Team is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,772
Thanks: 1,058
Thanked 2,313 Times in 824 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
It gets cheaper to. 3Rivers is handy, and the best marketed, but $80.00 for two arrows of a different spine in a set of 8 is a bit high. Wood gets cheaper as you look around, same with accessories. Hell, soon you will be making your own, gloves, tabs, arm guards, arrows, shafts, blunts, broad heads, strings, quivers bows, you name it.
Funny you say that... I looked at the price of the fetching tools, raw spines, etc... Making your own arrows looks like a blast.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Vacas Locas's Avatar
Vacas Locas Vacas Locas is offline
Blame Canada.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ft. Collins Colorado
Posts: 3,227
Thanks: 1,692
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
Funny you say that... I looked at the price of the fetching tools, raw spines, etc... Making your own arrows looks like a blast.
It is, and its fairly low cost. for jigs, I have used the jo-jan multi fletch, and Arizona EZ fletch. Most swear by the bitz, and while I dont doubt its awesome, I got the jojan for $30.00 used. The EZ fletch was free. Its real easy to get started to.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:45 PM
augoldminer augoldminer is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: high desert calif at the edge of the big empty
Posts: 1,025
Thanks: 0
Thanked 897 Times in 468 Posts
Default

Quote:
I got wood shafts.
your bow is a long bow or light recurve???. never use wood shafts with a compound bow.

when I was young I did make all my arrows
fletching jig never had one never needed one.

fletched native American style using raven flight feathers.
http://www.nmarchaeology.org/assets/...e_an_arrow.pdf

Are you going to carry a fletching jig on you in a SHTF situation
where are you going to get fletching.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Vacas Locas's Avatar
Vacas Locas Vacas Locas is offline
Blame Canada.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ft. Collins Colorado
Posts: 3,227
Thanks: 1,692
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
your bow is a long bow or light recurve???. never use wood shafts with a compound bow.





Are you going to carry a fletching jig on you in a SHTF situation
where are you going to get fletching.[/QUOTE]

Yup. Its not called the Arizona EZ fletch for nothing. I glue them with the crazy glue from my first aid kit.




[/QUOTE]never use wood shafts with a compound bow.[/QUOTE]

Common sense you would think, But not entirely true. If you hit this link you will see a spine chart and information for shooting wood arrows off a compound. I have done it off of old school compounds, but would never try it with anything made from about 1980 to now.-

http://www.rosecityarchery.com/spine...0Spine%20Chart

In a society as litigious as ours it would be quite stupid for a business to even mention shooting wood off a compound, yet here they are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vacas Locas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2012, 06:37 AM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,691
Thanks: 38
Thanked 5,501 Times in 3,257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
your bow is a long bow or light recurve???. never use wood shafts with a compound bow.

Are you going to carry a fletching jig on you in a SHTF situation
where are you going to get fletching.
What gets me with that statement is that what will compound shooters use for arrows when they've lost, damaged or broken all of their aluminium and carbon arrows post SHTF.

If an arrow is rated for 50# and it's shot from a bow rated at 50# does it care if the bow is a long, recurve, horse or a compound bow? Shooting a 30# rated arrow from an 80# compound will eventually lead to disaster with a wood arrow but it will also effect AL or CF arrows as well.

Indigenous tribes just tied their feathers on with sinew...They use something like pine sap to hold the the feather in place but that dried up after time and was washed away by rain or snow...Look at pictures of arrows in museums and the fletching isn't even touch the shaft except at the very top and bottom where they're tied.

Medieval archers sewed their fletching on, wrapping sinew or linen around the split feather shaft.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Vacas Locas's Avatar
Vacas Locas Vacas Locas is offline
Blame Canada.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ft. Collins Colorado
Posts: 3,227
Thanks: 1,692
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
What gets me with that statement is that what will compound shooters use for arrows when they've lost, damaged or broken all of their aluminium and carbon arrows post SHTF.

If an arrow is rated for 50# and it's shot from a bow rated at 50# does it care if the bow is a long, recurve, horse or a compound bow? Shooting a 30# rated arrow from an 80# compound will eventually lead to disaster with a wood arrow but it will also effect AL or CF arrows as well.

Indigenous tribes just tied their feathers on with sinew...They use something like pine sap to hold the the feather in place but that dried up after time and was washed away by rain or snow...Look at pictures of arrows in museums and the fletching isn't even touch the shaft except at the very top and bottom where they're tied.

Medieval archers sewed their fletching on, wrapping sinew or linen around the split feather shaft.
Honestly, With the newer compound bows, I dont think traditionally made arrows would survive being shot. But I think the old school compound bows may do ok. The shots off newer stuff is very powerful and hard, while the older bows are much softer. Not very technical, but its the best way I can describe it.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:01 PM
A-Team A-Team is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,772
Thanks: 1,058
Thanked 2,313 Times in 824 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
Are you going to carry a fletching jig on you in a SHTF situation
where are you going to get fletching.
Yup. Its not called the Arizona EZ fletch for nothing. I glue them with the crazy glue from my first aid kit.




[/QUOTE]never use wood shafts with a compound bow.[/QUOTE]

Common sense you would think, But not entirely true. If you hit this link you will see a spine chart and information for shooting wood arrows off a compound. I have done it off of old school compounds, but would never try it with anything made from about 1980 to now.-

http://www.rosecityarchery.com/spine...0Spine%20Chart

In a society as litigious as ours it would be quite stupid for a business to even mention shooting wood off a compound, yet here they are.[/QUOTE]

The more I learn about bow making and arrow making.. the more common sense it seems to me to add these tools to my preps. Lots of people have reloading equipment for rifle and handgun ammo. Being able to make bows and good arrows is the same... EXCEPT you will ALWAYS have the availability of materials to make bows and arrows. You won't always be guaranteed the ability of having rifle/handgun reloading supplies... so making a small investment in a fletching tool etc... makes more sense to me every day.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:28 PM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,691
Thanks: 38
Thanked 5,501 Times in 3,257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
Honestly, With the newer compound bows, I dont think traditionally made arrows would survive being shot. But I think the old school compound bows may do ok. The shots off newer stuff is very powerful and hard, while the older bows are much softer. Not very technical, but its the best way I can describe it.
Do you really think an 80# compound shoots any harder then an 80# warbow? Do you think that it exerts its energy any differently? It will shoot it a little faster because of the pulleys being slightly more efficient but not significantly enough to make that much of a difference...An extra 5-10 fps isn't that problematic in compensating for drop at 40 yds.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Vacas Locas's Avatar
Vacas Locas Vacas Locas is offline
Blame Canada.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ft. Collins Colorado
Posts: 3,227
Thanks: 1,692
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
Do you really think an 80# compound shoots any harder then an 80# warbow? Do you think that it exerts its energy any differently? It will shoot it a little faster because of the pulleys being slightly more efficient but not significantly enough to make that much of a difference...An extra 5-10 fps isn't that problematic in compensating for drop at 40 yds.
No, not really. But looking at slow motion footage of both being shot I notice they both apply the same amount of force differently. I freely admit I base my opinion on hocus pocus, but there is also the fact that in the manuel of every compound I have bought it was printed that shooting wood voids the warranty. From this, I decided that I dont shoot wood of anything more modern then 1980. It has nothing to do with FPS and accuracy, but action and force on the shelf/knuckle.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:25 AM
SeekHer's Avatar
SeekHer SeekHer is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 7,691
Thanks: 38
Thanked 5,501 Times in 3,257 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcow View Post
No, not really. But looking at slow motion footage of both being shot I notice they both apply the same amount of force differently. I freely admit I base my opinion on hocus pocus, but there is also the fact that in the manuel of every compound I have bought it was printed that shooting wood voids the warranty. From this, I decided that I dont shoot wood of anything more modern then 1980. It has nothing to do with FPS and accuracy, but action and force on the shelf/knuckle.
Goes back to my original questions of what will you shoot when you've run out of carbon or aluminium arrows post SHTF???

It's amazing how shooting an arrow will void a warranty but nothing about dry firing other then not to do it as it will hurt the bow.

Ever see how properly spined arrows shoot around a riser and noted the degree of flex in the different materials...The force remains constant the projectile's material causes the flex but that means it just takes a different distance for them to stop flexing (stabilize) downrange.

The problem with compounds, of any vintage, with wood arrows is in the arrow not the bow...Too many accidents happened by inexperienced shooters taking arrows found in WalMart, designed for those five foot long all Fiberglas 30# self bows and shot them in 60# and 70# compounds where they shattered on the shelf hurting themselves and/or others...Guess what, I've seen the same bloody thing happen with the same bleeding arrows when shot by the same frigging draw weight recurve or longbow.

Got a 60# compound then shoot 60#, 70#, 80#, 90# spined wooden arrows from it.
Got a 60# traditional then shoot 60#, 70#, 80#, 90# spined wooden arrows from it.
In either case, DO NOT shoot arrows of any material that are lesser spined.

I wonder what happens to a #60 spined carbon arrow when fired from a 110# war bow? Maybe Farmer John will experiment with one for us? He could shoot it bolted to a table with half round metal brackets to avoid any damage to his person...That I'd love to see.

I go back to your statement: In a society as litigious as ours it would be quite stupid for a business to even mention shooting wood off a compound, yet here they are. Of the six wooden arrow makers I have knowledge of, all but two have the same compound chart (minor variances) and those two only cater to the SCA/Ren Faire crowd where bows don't usually exceed 40#
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 AM
Vacas Locas's Avatar
Vacas Locas Vacas Locas is offline
Blame Canada.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ft. Collins Colorado
Posts: 3,227
Thanks: 1,692
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default

"It's amazing how shooting an arrow will void a warranty but nothing about dry firing other then not to do it as it will hurt the bow."

Hoyt, Elite, and Martin say a dry fire voids the warranty. Light arrows void the warenty to. As for a compound in a SHTF It would not be an issue because mine would be left for the looters. If I wanted an arrow, material could be improvised, but why would I when make my situation worse by having to improvise at all ? I know which type compound bows I feel safe shooting wood of of. The older bows, as well as traditional bows dont weigh as much, and dont require a bow press to repair. Carbon and aluminum arrows are not 100% safe.



This is why I bend carbon before I shoot it.http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/upfi...8D803AE1E0.jpg

"Ever see how properly spined arrows shoot around a riser and noted the degree of flex in the different materials...The force remains constant the projectile's material causes the flex but that means it just takes a different distance for them to stop flexing (stabilize) downrange."

Not on a compound. and that information is pretty basic, and known by most child archers.



"I wonder what happens to a #60 spined carbon arrow when fired from a 110# war bow? Maybe Farmer John will experiment with one for us? He could shoot it bolted to a table with half round metal brackets to avoid any damage to his person...That I'd love to see."

if you knew as much as you claim, you would know arrows dont paradox as much on a compound. You would also know that many older compounds dont require a drop away rest. Many do just fine with a flipper or bear weather rest. So if you want to shoot wood off a modern compound go head. I wont. I dont have $1,000 + to throw in the trash on stupidity, and claims made by arm chair commandos.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:38 AM
Dirty Bill's Avatar
Dirty Bill Dirty Bill is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 1,135
Thanks: 624
Thanked 847 Times in 451 Posts
Default

I had my own traditional archery store,and 3 Rivers always treated me very well. After an auto accident,I was no longer able to work at my job and keep the archery store going.

It would have been a pretty big store by now,and a great retirement income. The plans of mice and men...sigh..

I love traditional archery,and now I don't get to enjoy it much.

Here's a pic from days gone by...


Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Vacas Locas's Avatar
Vacas Locas Vacas Locas is offline
Blame Canada.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ft. Collins Colorado
Posts: 3,227
Thanks: 1,692
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,346 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Bill View Post
I had my own traditional archery store,and 3 Rivers always treated me very well. After an auto accident,I was no longer able to work at my job and keep the archery store going.

It would have been a pretty big store by now,and a great retirement income. The plans of mice and men...sigh..

I love traditional archery,and now I don't get to enjoy it much.

Here's a pic from days gone by...


Bet that was a hoot ! Would you not consider a crossbow ?
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering getting into Archery Survival Swordsman Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 32 04-24-2012 03:59 AM
Archery hicktown1861 Polls and Surveys 26 02-13-2011 08:48 PM
Archery intern Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 10-12-2010 07:44 PM
Archery Vanishing Nomad Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 17 01-04-2009 08:02 PM
Archery Park No Longer Allows... Archery eeyore Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows 13 04-12-2008 03:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net