Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Default auxiliary gas tanks

Advertise Here

Part of my emergency plan is leaving my current location to another that is approximately 2,300 miles away. This will require about 80 gallons of gasoline. I have a small sized sedan that has a 10 gallon tank which means I'll need to figure out how to carry 70 gallons in the car since stopping for gas on the way could be dangerous or impossible. Getting a different vehicle is not in my budget. Searching for auxiliary tanks only gives me ones that are intended to be mounted in the bed of a pickup. I'm thinking of something that could be installed in the trunk. Any suggestions?
Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Trapper

Jerry cans. If you vehicle is a standard car type, it will likely not have the space on the chassis anyway for extra tanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Borsch Dorks Gorge For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks! That is what I figured I would need to do.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Ham Technician

Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,337 Posts

Remember this also. The more space you use in the car to store gasoline in cans, is space that could be used to take food,water,and other essential preps to your new bug out location (BOL). And who wants to smell gas in their car the whole way? 80 gallons of gas is a lot of gas to store in a small car.
To be honest and I know you said a pickup is not in your budget, how about a trailer hitch on the sedan and a small enclosed trailer, or even a small open utility trailer? With a little treated plywood and some other treated wood, you now have the carry capacity of a pickup for about $325, plus the hitch. If no company makes a hitch for your car a custom one can be made.
Don't forget a spare tire.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...duct_7262_7262

X
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 08:06 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,166 Times in 2,062 Posts

You should work on plan B. I have driven 1000 miles in 20 hrs many times in good weather on good roads in good times. 3 days in bad weather, on maybe bad or jammed roads in bad times; I'd be putting two or three St. Christopher statues on the dash board. The little trailer with 2 bbls of gas might work ok. Put a fuel tank selector valve in your car and a guick disconnect at the back to plug into the one on the trailer. Fuel cans suck, but not as bad a walking.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Ham Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
You should work on plan B. I have driven 1000 miles in 20 hrs many times in good weather on good roads in good times. 3 days in bad weather, on maybe bad or jammed roads in bad times; I'd be putting two or three St. Christopher statues on the dash board. The little trailer with 2 bbls of gas might work ok. Put a fuel tank selector valve in your car and a guick disconnect at the back to plug into the one on the trailer. Fuel cans suck, but not as bad a walking.
Good idea, however the only problem I see with a fuel line that goes all the way to the trailer to the car is, you would have to already have it plumbed before the SHTF, because it would take alot of time and parts to do, Having that line ran to the back would be a big safety concern for me if I had too drive the car everyday for work, now if the SHTF, safety can be put aside. I also see running that fuel line hookup being a pain in the rear to plumb and keeping the fuel pump in the tank happy and the fuel injection on the car happy.
I think he is better off pulling over and fueling from jerry cans, if it were a pickup and a trailer not involved then an auxilary tank in the best is the way to go, but on an everyday driven car, NO WAY. Also what if on the way he finds a better vehicle that has been abandoned and has no fuel (#1 cause of abandoned vehicles during SHTF), he can simply fuel it by the cans he has and now has a better and safer BOV.
Disclaimer: Do not take vehicles that are not yours unless of a major SHTF situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 19,261 Times in 6,832 Posts

Maybe a luggage rack on top to carry cans?

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Ham Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboy View Post
Maybe a luggage rack on top to carry cans?
Great idea, just make sure to cover them up from view, you would be a wanted man by stranded motorist needing fuel, not that the car running is'nt already a wanted item.

ETA: What if a bullet or something piereced a can on top the car and fuel started spilling down the sides of the car with you in it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2012, 09:02 PM
reluctant sinner

The line only needs to go the gas tank for fuel injected. A electric fuel pump in the trailer would push the fuel to the tank and be controled by just an on/off switch. Disconnect like on an outboard motor tank are small same as the lines. Plan B would be find someplace closer than nearly coast to coast. A jerry can or two in roof ok but 14 is a little top heavy.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,952 Times in 1,208 Posts

you could find a nice used trailer to fit your car for maybe $100 or less on cl. also a good used aux. fuel tank for way less than new. and they have battery operated (D cell batts) transfer pumps. may take 10-15 minutes to refill you car from the trailer tank, but you'll probably be needing a stand up break by then anyway.
in my little ranger pu, i installed a 27 gal. aluminum boat tank and plumbed it into the gas line using a manual transfer valve from a boat. got 43 gal on board now.
for my little 1966 cj5 jeep, i just got a 16 gal plastic boat tank that will go into the where the back seat would usually be found. that will give me just over 30 gal total for the little 4 cyl. motor in it.
and i still carry 2 small 2.5 gal military style gas cans for just in case.
The Following User Says Thank You to strvger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 09:25 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 14,546 Times in 1,343 Posts

2,300 miles? Wow. Good luck! However, might check in to self healing bladders. or something here http://www.atlinc.com/ or along those lines.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM
Prepared

Don't forget also that the extra 80 gallons of fuel with the tank is gonna weigh right around 700 lbs.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmech For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Honey badger don't care

Thanked 1,163 Times in 416 Posts

Over 2k miles in a small sedan pulling a trailer full uf gas...lmao
Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Over 2k miles in a small sedan pulling a trailer full uf gas...lmao
yeah i was thinking same thing..may wanna get an early start why not go ahead and move? it aint like the sht aint gonna hit the fan..we know its coming.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:29 PM

See if you can find a way to trade your car in on a small pickup of equal value and put a camper shell on it. Or find a closer place to go to.
The Following User Says Thank You to 0dell For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 AM

Thanks for the input, I have a lot to think about!

Last edited by ksowayan; 05-30-2012 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: I wouldn't want the jerry cans visible while driving past stranded cars and lines at the gas stations.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 AM

I didn't think of how much that much gasoline would weigh. I also didn't consider the fumes inside the cab. My idea was to have the cans with that amount of gasoline in my shed and cycleing through them as I use gasoline in my day to day business. That way I can ensure the gas doesn't decompose. I do have a backup bol if shtf in winter since there is no way I can cross country in my sedan on roads that wont be plowed. I'm sure it seems absurd to everyone that I'm using a sedan in my plan but I have to work within my means.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 AM
reluctant sinner

I still think the little trailer with a light weight shell an a 55 with a 30 gal bbl would work with an electric fuel pump and a hose. I also think that 2300 miles in bad times is about 10 times as far as I want plan on going.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,500 Times in 3,976 Posts

It is advisable NOT to put fuel tanks inside the vehicle, there are a great many safety concerns, fumes for one.
The trailor is the best solution with fixed boat tanks mounted over the axil/s. a false floor covering the tanks and a detatchable hose and a fuel pump so you can find some out of the way place to trransfir fuel discretely into your OEM fuel tank. I would strongly recomend too that you have a water seperating fuel filter in that circut, so that in the event you are buying gas in a questionable place it is not emediately put into the car .
I had an insident several years ago that might have gotten ugly, had I not been prepared .
As the econemy deterriorates so will the possibility of getting water in the fuel.
Now it's your choice your life your investment.
I prefir ,when away from home, to fill my auxillery tank, and transfir from it thruogh a water seperating fuel filter like they use on boats , it Looks like an oil filter.
My truck has 2 filters one water seerating fuel filter and a clear glass filter I can see the flow right at the dash. I also have auxillery electric fuel pumps already in line and have been very handy when the mechanical had failed .
If you depend on something, you treat it like the space shuttle, several back up systems. Also carry spare starter and alternator and water pump and hoses water and oil. As well as fire extinguishers front and back. Spare tires 2 for the truck and 2 for the trailor. Several other spairs as well.
Comfort has nothing to do with getting there , getting there and getting home ,that is what matters. to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,619 Times in 2,334 Posts

do not just use 55 gallon drums. there needs to be a way to prevent the fuel from sloshing. it needs to be a proper aux tank with baffles. you can sometimes find the semi tanks for not too much money. and sorry to say but if its that bad you wont be going coast to coast border to border. the roads will be clogged unless you take back roads then you have to deal with those issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post: