Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM

Default where is the best place to buy mylar bags?

Advertise Here

Unfortunately I only have a mobile phone so I cant use the search function, sorry. Moving on. My father is turning 70 on June 1st and I want to help upgrade his food storage abilities. I wanted to get him some mylar bags and oxygen absorbers. I have found a few sites online, but I was hoping to gather some experience from preppers who use mylar themselves. He only has small preps but im hoping this gift might help move him along to a larger amount stored. Where is the cheapest place to shop for these items and what are the suggested sizes? He would probably be storing 5 to 10 lbs of rice and wheat in each bag. Thank you in advance for helping my family and making my fathers birthday memorable.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,973 Times in 1,842 Posts

http://www.discountmylarbags.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 08:04 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

freeze the grains first go to you tube if you want learn put them in 5gal bucket no gamma seal just reg lid be careful with some grains that have oil whole wheat it will go rancid .
Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,163 Posts

I second Discount Mylar Bags http://www.discountmylarbags.com/ , orders over $50 ship for free, use discount code SBOARDS10 to recieve a 10% discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath4407 View Post
freeze the grains first go to you tube if you want learn put them in 5gal bucket no gamma seal just reg lid be careful with some grains that have oil whole wheat it will go rancid .
And you have packed how many buckets in Mylar ???

Wheat packed in Mylar with O2 absorbers does not need to be put in the freezer prior to packing, and will last for 15 to 20 years at least.

I do agree with the recommendation of going to Youtube if you need a visual guide.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Old Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,406 Times in 614 Posts

LDS, not only are they the cheapest, but they are the strongest.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Goliath, do u use just the bucket or do u use mylar? Ive read conflicting opinions on both. Some people say the #2 food grade buc kets are enough. Some people say spend alittle and get the mylar to be safe. I just dont want to find my families food had spoiled, especially when we would need it the most.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Left the building

Thanked 25,224 Times in 8,254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakneck88 View Post
Goliath, do u use just the bucket or do u use mylar? Ive read conflicting opinions on both. Some people say the #2 food grade buc kets are enough. Some people say spend alittle and get the mylar to be safe. I just dont want to find my families food had spoiled, especially when we would need it the most.
First of all, welcome to the forum, and I hope you learn a lot by being here!
Check these two threads.........Read through them when you have time. You'll learn quite a bit.

The "Bucket List." Using Food Grade and Non-Food Grade Buckets For Long Term Food

List Of Threads To Help With Storing In Mylar. Help For New Members!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TxHills For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 37,921 Times in 12,745 Posts

Just bought a bunch of stuff from them earlier today. They ship fast. I expect delivery at the BOL by Sat. I purchased the 5mil 1 gal. bags to go w/ o2 absorbers.
The Following User Says Thank You to POPPALUV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,167 Times in 2,472 Posts

http://www.sorbentsystems.com they are the manufacturer...not a reseller
Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,580 Times in 2,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goliath4407 View Post

Whole wheat berries will outlast you if stored properly. Ground up whole wheat flour will go rancid after 2 years or so. See my link in my signature. Been there done that.
No need to freeze your long term grains either, if stored right. The side effects of O2 absorbers is.....No oxygen for the critters, its been replaced by nitrogen.
Freezing DOES work, sometimes (eggs are tough) and is good for grains you will be storing in the cupboard for up to a year. It is also not a bad idea to store your grains with a bit of food grade DE thrown in, both medium and long term, if critters are a concern. This would remove all doubt.
I have had weevils once, in some cream of wheat, the kids ate them up before we noticed.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,580 Times in 2,791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakneck88 View Post
Plastic buckets are NOT a true vapor barrier. It will let oxygen in over time. Buckets, vacuum sealed bags etc. all let oxygen in over time. Mylar and O2 absorbers are the proven way to protect food long term. I have been living off of my preps for 11 months now. Mylared goods faired much better then loose packed goods. Besides, that is what the professionals do at the factory.

P.S. The number 2 does not mean food grade. You have to find out if they were made for food. It all has to do with the releasing compounds they use on the molds. Plastic is porous and absorbs toxins as well as releases them.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:29 AM

Thank you for the replies. I ordered the 1 gal. Mylar and absorbers in a kit from discount mylar.. i will be storing the bags in #2 buckets from the bakery at our local supermarket. The kit was cheaper then what I thought it would be. " good insurance".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Breakneck88 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 09:33 AM
blaidd ddrwg

Thanked 18,284 Times in 7,527 Posts

advice and beans uses the same supplier and matches price i think... shipping is comprable.
The Following User Says Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Fine ham ABOUNDS!!!!!!!!

Thanked 37,921 Times in 12,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefunkymxw View Post
advice and beans uses the same supplier and matches price i think... shipping is comprable.
FREE SHIPPING over $50. +10% off if using Sboards10 code at checkout.
The Following User Says Thank You to POPPALUV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Recent Blog: Food Storage For Vets
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine-marine View Post
http://www.sorbentsystems.com they are the manufacturer...not a reseller
Thanks for the thumbs up in the thread folks, definitely appreciated, we do our best to serve Sboards folks (well, and everyone else!)=) Sorbent imports much, if not most of their stock from Asia, even though many think of them as a manufacturer. Of the items on their website, nowadays they manufacturer probably less than 10%, if any. We did use them for a long time, but found US manufacturers for our bags and are trying to keep what we can as US made, though the market has been getting much more competitive, making that challenging.

As mentioned, we gladly price match anything on the 'Net and ship same day on most of our orders.=)

Mylar Bags and Oxygen Absorbers available at Discount Mylar Bags.
Bulk Orders for Survival and Preparedness Store Owners: ShieldPro Flexible Packaging
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AandB For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,167 Times in 2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AandB View Post
Thanks for the thumbs up in the thread folks, definitely appreciated, we do our best to serve Sboards folks (well, and everyone else!)=) Sorbent imports much, if not most of their stock from Asia, even though many think of them as a manufacturer. Of the items on their website, nowadays they manufacturer probably less than 10%, if any. We did use them for a long time, but found US manufacturers for our bags and are trying to keep what we can as US made, though the market has been getting much more competitive, making that challenging.

As mentioned, we gladly price match anything on the 'Net and ship same day on most of our orders.=)
I think sorbent system has manufacturing in USA and Europe (Not Asia)

I have bought items from AandB and they have great prices. However... Because we have started a survival food business we are buying 1,000 mylar bags and 5,000 - 10,000 02 absorbers at a time... so it is better for us to go to the folks that make them... BUT - in many cases if you are buying smaller quantities I would HIGHLY recommend AandB
Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Not what I appear to be

Thanked 3,771 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTShawn View Post
I have had weevils once, in some cream of wheat, the kids ate them up before we noticed.
Mmmmmmm extra protein.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Prepared

Can you store rice and beans in food grade buckets in the packaging the come in?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:44 AM
Bazinga!

I picked up my mylar and desicant from http://mylarbagsdirect.com/ a few months ago.
Bought a special combo they had going - 100 7.5mil 8x12 (quart) mylar bags and 100 300cc oxygen obsorbers for 29.99 - the bags have a tearaway knotch at the bottom to open when you need - then you can reseal that end instead of the end with all the extra mylar form the original seal. Bought some 1 and 5 gallon 7.5 bags also.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 AM
VIP Member

Tried ordering from you but although there was a huge list of coutries to choose from, was told that you don't ship to Canada. Really?