Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Ham Technician

Thanked 4,124 Times in 1,390 Posts
Default Infectious Coryza and chickens, Its like a severe cold.

Advertise Here

The symptoms are one, a few, or all.

Swollen Eyes
Bubbles in the corners of the eyes
Open mouth breathing
Pale face
Sneezing and coughing and gasping
Runny nose
Loss of appetite and not drinking water
Not laying eggs regularly as before
And the surefire last symptom that is a giveaway they have Infectious Coryza is a putrid smell coming from the nasal passages.
Once the chicken has this disease and is cured, that chicken never gets it again but they are still a carrier for life to give it to other chickens that have never had it.

Don't waste your money on antibiotics that are used in drinking water, or Sulmet.
Baytril (enrofloxicin) may be used but is vet controlled and very expensive.

The best and cheapest way to fight this infection on the upper respiratory system I have found is by using Tylan 200. This is an injectable medication. It is found at Tractor Supply or about any feed and grain type stores, for about $32 for a large bottle that will treat many a many chickens.
Once the chicken gets the Infectious Coryza give it 3/4 of a CC shot ( This dose is for grown and full size chicken) injected directly into the breast of the chicken, and be careful not to use a too long a needle or stick in to far that you get into the internal organs (Use common sense).
If the chicken is small (but at least over 10 weeks) only give 1/2 CC, this is for full size breeds.
Chickens that are a few weeks old I cannot give any info, for I do not know. However they do make a Tylan 50 that is a weaker version of Tylan 200, but I do not know the dosages for real young birds.
If symptoms do not improve in four days give another shot.
Use this info at your own risk, this is what worked for me, and I was taught by others.

Remember this is a treatment for a sick bird and not a vaccine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,738 Times in 5,610 Posts

I vaccinate for Coryza. I order the med online from Jeffers. If you keep many birds and others in your area, especially nearby, have poultry, it's a good idea to vaccinate if you can.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHannah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Follow your own star

Thanked 3,376 Times in 983 Posts

Good bio security works as well as quarantine any new poultry for 2+ weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazeleyes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 07:56 PM
Ham Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazeleyes View Post
Good bio security works as well as quarantine any new poultry for 2+ weeks.
This does not work with Coryza.
The new bird you buy will look healthy and fine, but be a carrier of the disease if it ever had Coryza.
My plan is to give Tylan 200 to all the sick birds, and then innoculate with vaccine the ones not sick yet.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Ham Technician

Here is what I used on Monday, there has been a vast improvement in the chickens I used it on and today is Wednesday.
Let me add this also when giving the shot go in at a steep angle so as to keep the needle just under the skin and a little in the meat. Do not go in to deep and hit an internal organ.
I do this under the wing and above the leg.
As taught to me by my elders a good farmer will cure an animal of sickness
if its not to expensive, and the animal is savable.
A want a be farmer will cull from lack of knowledge.
I buy sale and trade chickens now and to start over is out of the question.
The products below were bought at Tractor Supply.

$32 at tractor supply and will do several hundred or more chickens.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Follow your own star

Thanked 3,376 Times in 983 Posts

im talking in terms of helping prevent it from happing in the first place.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/206600.htm

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/15/

This does not work with Coryza.
The new bird you buy will look healthy and fine, but be a carrier of the disease if it ever had Coryza.
My plan is to give Tylan 200 to all the sick birds, and then innoculate with vaccine the ones not sick yet.[/quote]
Old 05-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Pull up your Dora panties

Thanked 16,504 Times in 4,458 Posts

omg, i totally needed this info. thanks. we are headed to tractor supply right now if they are open
Old 05-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Ham Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by VINCENT View Post
omg, i totally needed this info. thanks. we are headed to tractor supply right now if they are open
JUst be careful giving the shot, you want to go just under the skin and a little in the meat at a sharp angle. The lungs on a chicken are very easily hit with a needle, and if you do so you will know immediatly when they start coughing.

ETA: Expect the chicken to be really sore for about a day or two, after you give the shot. Mine had trouble walking and trying to roost for a few days they were so soar from the shot.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:42 PM

what would you say to use as a dose for 3 to 4 week old chicks?
Old 05-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Ham Technician

Quote:
what would you say to use as a dose for 3 to 4 week old chicks?
I would try and google it (the answer may not be there however), I have not a clue on chicks that young.
I have tried Tylan 200 on small chicks and had poor results.
I have been told that Tylan 50 is not as harsh on them, and works better with small chicks.
The needle prick needs to be very shallow, I do know that.
I think the problem is (its my hunch) that too much or to strong an antibiotic will make the kidneys on the bird not function correctly.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:38 PM

darn, now i need to drive all the way back to town and see if they have tylan 50, or i may just wing it(no pun intended)
Old 05-27-2012, 03:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,398 Times in 2,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyriver View Post
Once the chicken has this disease and is cured, that chicken never gets it again but they are still a carrier for life to give it to other chickens that have never had it.
It's literally bird flu. Vaccines help as a preventative, antibiotics won't (though medicated chick feed does help with digestive parasites).
Old 05-27-2012, 05:19 PM
Ham Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonid View Post
It's literally bird flu. Vaccines help as a preventative, antibiotics won't (though medicated chick feed does help with digestive parasites).

?????????
Infectious Coryza is an infectious contagious respiratory bacterial disease, Not a virus.
So it responds well to the correct antibiotics. Here is a link to what it is below.
Peafowl get the same disease.

http://www.peafowl.org/ARTICLES/15/
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Ham Technician

Quote:
darn, now i need to drive all the way back to town and see if they have tylan 50, or i may just wing it(no pun intended)
If you do, try Tylan 200, give only a few drops, you will kill the bird or render it where it cannot walk for days if you give it to strong a dose.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:29 PM

i did .2cc for the 20 small birds. way i see it is if i kill them i only did it quicker then the illness. i have 20+ larger birds to do tomorrow.

looks like i lost another turkey though today
Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,398 Times in 2,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyriver View Post
?????????
Infectious Coryza is an infectious contagious respiratory bacterial disease, Not a virus.
That's an odd name then. Coryza is a term that sums up flu symptoms.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Ham Technician

An update:

Last Monday (5-21-12) I began to give the grown chickens infected with Coryza, Tylan 200 and now one week later this chicken and the rest looks great. The other chickens have all their color back in their comb and wattles.
This one in the picture below is still a little pale in the face and gets tired quick, however its eyes are not swollen and no snot or putrid smell from the sinus.
The bird pictured below (6 month old Australorp) was in the worst shape of them all,and was lying down
and not moving, I hand watered it and feed it for a few days before and after the shot.
Had I not done this I feel certain the bird would of died of dehydration.
Coryza is simple to cure in grown chickens, now I have to figure out the small ones dosage, VINCENT (another member here) is trying .2 CC, of Tylan 200, I'm going to give Tylan 50 and give .2 CC of it for starters.
The little ones show no signs of the sickness hardly until its too late to help them. Then you have to hand water them a few times a day or they die.
Dealing with this reminds me of the honeybee diseases that were going around in the 80's, if a hive got infected or overcome with mites people would burn the hive, and all that was needed was some education on what to do.

I was taking precautions and washing hands (notice sanitizer in background) with each bird, now I don't care if a bird gets Coryza, At the first signs of it I give the bird a shot of Tylan 200 and toss it down and forget about it.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM

she looks great. we did the remaining 30 birds today including the big rooster.

we did lose two more of the turkeys over night, and i have suspicions about a couple others, but if they make a turn around we should be ok.

we used .2cc for the chicks that were about 2-4 weeks old, .3cc for the chicks that were 4-8 weeks old, .4cc for bird between 8 and 12weeks and.5cc for the birds that were 12-16 weeks. .75cc for birds over 16 weeks.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:59 PM
Ham Technician

Quote:
she looks great. we did the remaining 30 birds today including the big rooster.

we did lose two more of the turkeys over night, and i have suspicions about a couple others, but if they make a turn around we should be ok.

we used .2cc for the chicks that were about 2-4 weeks old, .3cc for the chicks that were 4-8 weeks old, .4cc for bird between 8 and 12weeks and.5cc for the birds that were 12-16 weeks. .75cc for birds over 16 weeks.
If in 4 days they still look sick, give them another shot, thats how I do it.
Each bird has to be handled on an individual basis on if it needs a second shot. About 1 in 8-10 birds need a second shot it seems here at my house.
I am also going to try and find some small needles like for human diabetics, for use with the chicks, to help stop the bruising it gives them with the larger needles like they have at Tractor Supply.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:42 PM

thats actually what we used, we have boxs and boxs of syringes and needs and insulin syringes from all the hormones JTJT had to get during the first part of the surogacy. it was very convienient since we had to do 50 birds