Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Cabron

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,068 Posts
Default Where do feral hogs go?

Advertise Here

Recently I've started finding extensive signs of feral hogs starting to dig around on the place. It looks like maybe a mamma hog and some babies. For years after our neighbors started having problems we were free of the suckers. I'd like to nip the problem in the bud if at all possible. I took the rifle and tried to track them as best I could, but my tracking skills are not up to snuff. Where do hogs usually go during the day? Is it just the densest thickets or what? Or do I have to just set up with a spotlight at night? They don't come every night, and its been three or four days since they last came.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guntownuncle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Target Shooter

the prob with hogs is that they dont have regular habits like deer.your hogs may be 2 miles away right now and have no intention of hitting your place till they just happen to wander over there.if they have been hunted then yes they may go nocturnal and stay in the deepest thickets during daylight hrs.you could try a baited pen trap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ridgerunner1965 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 05:11 PM
Target Shooter

oh i see you mentioned a spotlight! i find a good way to rid your property of varmints is to do a walk around before bedtime with your light and a accurate scoped rifle.just make sure of your targets before you fire!
The Following User Says Thank You to ridgerunner1965 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

set up a large hog trap they make some will cath em by the herd
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 PM
My Dixie Wrecked

Thanked 15,745 Times in 4,454 Posts

They are nocturnal pretty much. As with most all game animals, they'll bed during the day. Generally in tall grass, brush and low spots, especially if the low spot catches water.

They will roam at night anywhere between what/where they can eat and then water.

I've soured corn in a 5 gallon plastic bucket with grape koolaid, cut about a 1" hole in the top and bury it a 1-2' deep.

They root around until they can get into that bucket. Keeps them there for lots of hours so you can shoot them.

They will eat corn on the ground too but the sour mash they love. They can smell it from far away

If you know where they water, you can undoubtedly shoot them there. I see them watering early in the morning just as its getting light enough to see.

I also see them rootin til around 10 or so in the morning.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 PM
DamnifIknow

Set yourself up a game camera in a likely spot. Also, Google "Pig Pipe", one of these will keep them in a location for hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Texazz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM

make something like that

and leave it open with bait feed em every day so they get used to it for about maby 5-10 days then sit in a blind and drop the door on the whole herd
Old 05-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,620 Times in 2,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntownuncle View Post
Recently I've started finding extensive signs of feral hogs starting to dig around on the place. It looks like maybe a mamma hog and some babies. For years after our neighbors started having problems we were free of the suckers. I'd like to nip the problem in the bud if at all possible. I took the rifle and tried to track them as best I could, but my tracking skills are not up to snuff. Where do hogs usually go during the day? Is it just the densest thickets or what? Or do I have to just set up with a spotlight at night? They don't come every night, and its been three or four days since they last came.
check good on #6 or #9 hog trap and build one. they are easy and work great. then dispatch at will
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,320 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965 View Post
the prob with hogs is that they dont have regular habits like deer.your hogs may be 2 miles away right now and have no intention of hitting your place till they just happen to wander over there.if they have been hunted then yes they may go nocturnal and stay in the deepest thickets during daylight hrs.you could try a baited pen trap.
I second that hogs don't have the regular habits of deer.

I would mix up a bucket of mash and dig a few holes and dump it in and around. I have had the best luck with mixing feeder corn with cheap malt liquor beer and letting it sit for a day or so to sour first. Another mixture I have had success with is feeder corn mixed with raspberry jello and water, letting it ferment for a day or two.

I have better luck hunting in the evenings than in the mornings for hogs. And, of course, you can hunt them at night with a spotlight.
The Following User Says Thank You to AtticusFinch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Survivor

for baiting nothing better then strawberrys and simple sugar. take a bag of frozen strawberrys and puree. then mix up a simple syrup of sugar and water. add the puree strawberrys and reduce to half. pour into water bottle. add a couple holes in the lid to drip. hang over a pile of corn.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 07:57 PM

Baiting them in and them getting used to food being there every time they come by is key to keeping them there.
Fermented corn is good because the smell draws them in......I take posthole diggers and dig a 3ft deep hole and pour it in filling it about halfway. Pour some out on the ground around it so they get a taste for it and want to hang around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rmart30 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 6,736 Times in 2,339 Posts

Around here the hogs bed down in the thickest scrub/forest they can find and always close to water or moist ground.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 09:03 PM
Crazy

Thanked 2,462 Times in 939 Posts

They go in my belly.
The Following User Says Thank You to John_Auberry For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Prepared

There are several websites that tell you how to build hog traps. You might want to google it. Round traps are much better because they are flexible and will bounce back. My hubby traps hogs for a rancher about 5 miles from us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shanna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 10:15 PM

i still don't understand why everybody thinks hogs are such a problem. I hunt them for food, but i have seen no evidence of them doing any damage whatsoever. is it just because they are there? they stay out in the deepest of woods, they are rarely seen, at least the really wild ones, they don't destroy crops, they don't bother people, they are ridiculously hard to hunt if they are truly wild, and most important of all, there are lots of them and they provide an opportunity for lots of spoiled deer hunters who think they are bad a s s hunters to learn a little humility and revise their techniques.

if you have ever had an easy wild boar hunt, then you weren't hunting real wild boar. their hearing, eyesight, and sense of smell is excellent. people should have a lot more respect for these animals, they are incredible.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:25 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by villacose View Post
i still don't understand why everybody thinks hogs are such a problem. I hunt them for food, but i have seen no evidence of them doing any damage whatsoever. is it just because they are there? they stay out in the deepest of woods, they are rarely seen, at least the really wild ones, they don't destroy crops, they don't bother people, they are ridiculously hard to hunt if they are truly wild, and most important of all, there are lots of them and they provide an opportunity for lots of spoiled deer hunters who think they are bad a s s hunters to learn a little humility and revise their techniques.

if you have ever had an easy wild boar hunt, then you weren't hunting real wild boar. their hearing, eyesight, and sense of smell is excellent. people should have a lot more respect for these animals, they are incredible.
just check some of these pictures

https://www.google.com/search?q=wild...w=1308&bih=753
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:

ummm you have been smoking something potent

i have seen then destroy fields
Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 19,322 Times in 6,847 Posts

Welcome to hog 101 OP. You are in the beginning stages of your education.

All I know is, you better take action or you will be super sorry you did not.

If your place is rural, and not too large, I think I would just hog fence it because they're never going away. You like your lawn? So do hogs. Like your garden? So do hogs. Like your sanity? Hogs love to ruin that. I could go on and on....

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
The Following User Says Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Ringin Your Gong From 600

Thanked 7,862 Times in 3,155 Posts

Quote:

I think you forgot to open your eyes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hawkbern For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkbern View Post
I think you forgot to open your eyes.
he was just on a canned hunt where they let the hog go shorty before he gets there