Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 05-20-2012, 08:50 PM

Advertise Here

3 years past canned tomato paste. color might have been funny. tasted fine
The Following User Says Thank You to funkujawa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 09:11 PM

The mac and cheese with the cheese in the squeeze pouch----cheese good for only a few months past date.

Brownie mix---I've eaten some that expired 3 years before and it was fine.

Peanut butter---I've never had any trouble with peanut butter going rancid on me and I've eaten it a couple of years out of date.

Nuts---I've only ever had one can of nuts go bad on me and I store a lot of nuts (peanuts). Good for a long time.

M&Ms----I have M&Ms from 4 years ago (the plain ones) that still taste just great.

Soups----cream of chicken/cream of mushroom--4 or so years out of date--no problems. Soups with meat (like chicken noodle) the meat chunks tend to get tough, but still edible.

Crackers--can't get these to last--humid climate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to prudentwatcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 10:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiddog9 View Post
Ate a can of Dinty Moore beef stew 4 years past its "best by" date It tasted fine perhaps lost a bit of its "body" or firmness of the meat.
Did notice I had a single "Loose One" about six hours later....EEEWWW! WELL thats what happened!! No other serious sequelae.
Sorry but I must be a little tired cause I just Laughed for 10 minutes straight!Scared my wife I think!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to army61 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 12:50 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,617 Times in 32,450 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy View Post
Opened some Nido dried whole milk that expired in March. It was a little off.
Nido has fat in it and the cardboard can it comes in really doesn't keep air out well. I haven't had it last all that well either. To the point that I don't even bother trying to pack it in mylar with an O2 absorber.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 AM
Get off my lawn!

Thanked 8,678 Times in 3,457 Posts

Just thought of another one. I have a jar of Folgers Instant coffee that I bought a couple years ago (late 2009 or early 2010) and I opened it soon after buying it. Forgot about it until recently. The expiration was November 10, 2011. Even though I broke the seal it has remained fine, been drinking it a little here and there.

Side note - I don't care much for regular instant coffee compared to the normal stuff, but I use the instant coffee with straight milk, not water. I nuke a mug of milk for 2 minutes, add a heaping teaspoon of instant coffee and some sugar, then nuke for another 30 seconds. Yumm!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1228 View Post
Great anecdote, this is exactly the kind of story I was hoping for when I started this thread.

I am eying a can of tuna I found in the back of the cupboard which expired in 2007....I may go for it tonite and report back....
Thanks. This is something I'm always playing with. My friends call me a Food Mad Scientist! lol I've revently had tuna from 2008 with no problems. Tuna also dehydrates well.
I'm also eating off of a generic "velveta" cheese loaf that expired in 2010. I had it just sitting in the pantry in the original box way in the back but visible where I could keep an eye on it. I opened it up a couple of months ago. It had turned a "bark brown" color, almost like it had oxidized even though the original wrapper was in tact. It tastes fine, but is a little saltier than usual. I also think it's firmer than usual meaning there was some evaporation of the loaf while it sat. That would also mean that the wrapper is not a 100% seal against the ravages of time. My next cheese loaf experiment is to vacuum seal one and let it set for a couple year in an airless environment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catfish For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,617 Times in 32,450 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Thanks. This is something I'm always playing with. My friends call me a Food Mad Scientist! lol I've revently had tuna from 2008 with no problems. Tuna also dehydrates well.
I'm also eating off of a generic "velveta" cheese loaf that expired in 2010. I had it just sitting in the pantry in the original box way in the back but visible where I could keep an eye on it. I opened it up a couple of months ago. It had turned a "bark brown" color, almost like it had oxidized even though the original wrapper was in tact. It tastes fine, but is a little saltier than usual. I also think it's firmer than usual meaning there was some evaporation of the loaf while it sat. That would also mean that the wrapper is not a 100% seal against the ravages of time. My next cheese loaf experiment is to vacuum seal one and let it set for a couple year in an airless environment.
Vacuum bags are not a 100% seal against the atmosphere either. They let air and moisture through in time. That's why they are a poor choice for long term food storage.

I've had the same experience with Velveeta. Only I didn't eat the brown stuff when I opened mine. I just ain't that brave!
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,005 Times in 2,815 Posts

Uhhmmmm, I think I'm fixing to throw some Velveeta out ...
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Semper Fi

I always, always, always put the cans through series of check before eating. First I inspect the can for bulges, rust, etc. if there is any the can gets tossed. I listen for that vacuum sound when I open the can. I look at and smell the product. Any failures of these criteria the can is tossed. Finally I give the product a small taste. I don't swallow at first, if it tastes ok on the tip of my tongue then I'll swallow. If it tastes ok going down then I'll use it. I once had a can of unexpired tomatoes explode on me when I opened them. Needless to say they got tossed right away. lol
I'm no expert scientist, or a dietitian. Play with expired food at your own risk. This is just what has worked for me. YMMV
BTW, I turn my hard beans into "bean flour" and use them to thicken soups, gravy's, etc. .
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to catfish For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Vacuum bags are not a 100% seal against the atmosphere either. They let air and moisture through in time. That's why they are a poor choice for long term food storage.

I've had the same experience with Velveeta. Only I didn't eat the brown stuff when I opened mine. I just ain't that brave!
Thanks for the heads up on the vacuum bags. They're all I have right now. But I'm getting ready to switch to Mylar bags.
I'm not brave Mike, just a prior marine that's a little touched in the head. LMAO I almost threw it out, but heck it's edible, so why not! LMAO
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catfish For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Target Shooter

I recently baked a cake using expired cake mix. it was about 1-2 years past expiration.

The result was edible, and in fact I ate half of it. hah.

But it did taste a little off, not as great as it should've.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slovak For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
Rapid Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenurse View Post
Before you eat something, post what it is and the expiration date. If we don't hear from you for a while we'll know not to eat the last thing you posted!

FYI survived the 2007 expiration tuna..Bowels intact..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jack1228 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Prepared

I recently made pumpkin muffins using expired canned pumpkin. The pigs really enjoyed them. They just had NO flavor and this particular recipe has TOO many calories for my to stuff them in my pie hole with NO flavor - oh my, I sound like a spoiled American in a different situation I would have happily eaten them.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM

There's was a similar thread here a while ago, I remember being impressed at the longevity of all canned goods (I'll edit and paste it here later) with one chap still working through his Y2K canned goods, 11 years old and counting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeeperNY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,306 Posts

made pancakes with some Aunt Jemima mix about 2 years beyond Dates.... They looked fine but tasted kind of "stale" for lack of a better word...rather "flat" in flavor.
edible but not delish as they should be
Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Get off my lawn!

Thanked 8,678 Times in 3,457 Posts

Found this article when I remembered hearing something about 100 year old canned goods retrieved from a Mississippi Steamboat:

Five Different Shelf Life Studies: Two on Canned Food and Three on Dry Food
The Following User Says Thank You to sprkymrk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

I found some lemon lime powdered Gatorade from circa 1982 in my old boy scout backpack. Tasted fine.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1228 View Post
I haven't seen a thread like this so I thought I might start one.

I have sampled some food items past expiration:

*Powdered Gatorade, orange flavor in 3 pound can- expired and opened in Dec '09....still using it. Sits in pantry at room temp.

*6 oz can on low-salt V8 tomato juice, expired June 2010, drank the last can yesterday. Sat in garage on open shelf.

*Little Debbie glazed donut sticks. Left outside all winter/spring in plastic packaging to the elements, expired Nov 12. Ate it last week.

Would be interested in comments from posters about other items. May help me and others with food rotation to help determine when you really need to consume (or ditch) something....

I always love tasting some old/expired food. My only real tests are the looks and smell test. If it passes it, I take a small sample of it.
My favorite one is a 5 pound can of beans that I came across that expired three years prior. Me and 2 other friends made a meal of it. Needless to say, we had some wicked farts when paired with copious amounts of beer. Other than night eerily similar to Escanaba In Da Moonlight, we made it out of alive.

Last week I tried some wintergreen candy I found in the glove compartment of my car dated 1997. Admittedly, I don't go into the compartment very much. It still tasted like the same stuff you get today.

I've always wondered what constituted a "expiration date" on an item because most things expire well after those dates.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Prepared

I'm eating tuna salad right now that I made with eggs that expired on 4/29. Taste fine. I doubt ill have any problems
Old 05-22-2012, 12:17 AM

Kraft macaroni and cheese 7 months past date on box was noticeably off. The powder cheese was pretty nasty. I tried to sneak it past the family, but everybody started yelling at me after one bite. I ate it, no ill effects other than the nasty flavor.