Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 PM
Prepared

Default trespassing on farmland

Advertise Here

A lot of people have the idea that if land does not have a house in plain sight that the land is "wilderness" or "abandoned land". Most land has an owner who paid dearly for it. We live on a 300 acre farm, for example. The farm stretches along a small dead-end road for over a mile. In a collapse of society we will make every attempt to protect our farmland. We will control entrance roads and our neighbors will strongly protect adjoining farms. We will protect it with deadly force. My father bought this farmland in 1943. Our land is OUR land. We have lived on it all our lives. You need to understand that. Many here talk about hunting and fishing for food. Don't think you will be unopposed. You need to understand that most farmers WILL protect their farms from trespassers. When you trespass you are putting yourself into grave danger as well as the farmer and his family just by your presence. We know that we might eventually be overwhelmed with trespassers, and we might not be able to take out all trespassers, but until that happens we will protect what's ours.

I strongly suggest that you make arrangements with farmers to RENT farmland if you want a "bug out" location. Do it NOW. Don't just think you can steal a farm and use it as your own AFTER bad things happen. Keep a few silver coins to pay your rent after paper money collapses.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,894 Times in 3,643 Posts

Good thoughts.

Dont plan to share our land with anyone except family and friends.

Recommend making sacrifices now and buy land as soon as possible, rather than cling to the fantasy of "occupying an abandoned BOL."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to home in oz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,743 Times in 1,788 Posts

When people trespass on our farm I warn them that at any time I may go out and fire my gun into any area of my place without worry of hitting anyone because no one has asked me to be out there, and as far as I know no one is there. If someone asks permission to be there and lets me know when they are there, then I know to use caution if I intend to fire a weapon.

This little discussion tends to get many of them thinking along a different train of thought.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Prepared

that little speech is inspirational. i can clearly see the blood, sweat, and tears that were shed upon your land throughout the years just by how strongly you will fight for it. you sir have my respect. i wish i had my own land. alas I'm only 16 and working towards my career till. when the time come, i will have my great piece of land to live, love, and laugh on.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dodge631 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 10:57 PM
cannin' apricots

dirtfarmer, very well put. We feel the same on our farm and so do our neighbors, trespassers will not be welcome! And like you, we know every dip, bump, tree, spring, briar patch, CAVE, rocky outcropping and even nearly every animal, it's paths and schedules. Not a good place to intrude! If you want a BOL in the country, buy one now.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to paddysdaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 01:40 AM

what f i showed up wth 20 yr old scotch and 20 yr old cooze
The Following User Says Thank You to preppy78 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,133 Times in 4,543 Posts

Look Mike. Another gonna shoot everyone I see post to add to the list.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Survivalguy72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 02:03 AM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 4,848 Times in 1,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by preppy78 View Post
what f i showed up wth 20 yr old scotch and 20 yr old cooze
Tomorrow you will have to crawl back up on the wagon all by yourself.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 AM
Silver Wings

Thanked 21,028 Times in 7,206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalguy72 View Post

Yes. And it includes you and Mike.

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Recent Blog:
Texas Born & Texas Proud

I foresee this to be the most voilatile situation after SHTF. I live in an area surrounded by national forests and major lakes. Several medium size cities (50,000+) are less than 75 miles away and one of the top 10 metroplexes is less than 150 miles away. The unprepared vermon will leave those areas like rats abandoning a sinking ship. I have seen how they can devour resources as they evacuate from hurricanes. Tens/hundreds of thousands will desend on us, thinking we will take of them as in the past or they have the ability to live off the land. I will defend what is mine for my kids and grandkids to the bitter end.

Note to self--More ammo.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to martom50 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 AM
FBHO

Thanked 1,500 Times in 565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martom50 View Post
The unprepared vermon will leave those areas like rats abandoning a sinking ship. I have seen how they can devour resources as they evacuate from hurricanes. Tens/hundreds of thousands will desend on us, thinking we will take of them as in the past or they have the ability to live off the land. I will defend what is mine for my kids and grandkids to the bitter end.

Note to self--More ammo.
This.

Not saying I'll start shooting at the family of 4 looking for water, but the gang of rats... well are fair game.
The Following User Says Thank You to sharkeater For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalguy72 View Post
It's called WAR. Makers vs takers. Takers think they're "entitled" to what belongs to makers.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dirtfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 06:49 AM

Lol shoot em all n let God sort em out!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM

If you paid for the land you have the right to own it.
The only time I feel differently is when there is clearly no fence from a public footpath etc.

In my local woods about half of it is privately owned yet there are no fences or signs anywhere making it near impossible to work out where you can and can't go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrant For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Target Shooter

I totally understand where you are coming from..

But i do not think people would care if SHTF..
I would not care..
New times new rules.. and as a citizen of earth you can wonder if a paper of ownership has any meaning.. Does money really matter.. Money and ownership only means something because we have agreed on that it means something, and it is enforced by Governments. Even tho our monetary system is a joke..
If a family has to look for food to survive they wont care if you bought some land, or if your grandparents acquired a lot of land 100 years ago and wrote it down on a piece of paper..

In peace times however, the only way to keep out people is to make it clear where your land begins and ends.. Otherwise no one will know.. and might wander in on your land by mistake.
No point to be too trigger happy..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kmany For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM

Location: In the Mountains of Madness... southern West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
If you paid for the land you have the right to own it.
The only time I feel differently is when there is clearly no fence from a public footpath etc.

In my local woods about half of it is privately owned yet there are no fences or signs anywhere making it near impossible to work out where you can and can't go.

This is a really excellent point Tyrant - if you own rural property be sure it is fenced and posted. No trespassing and keep out signs are cheap, and they are your friend!

Also be careful of squatters on your property. Adverse possession laws exist in all fifty states, its good to do a complete walkaround of your property to look for squatters (or neighbors expanding a bit) at least once per year!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Prepared

whats a squatter? sorry to ask
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmany View Post
New times new rules.. and as a citizen of earth you can wonder if a paper of ownership has any meaning.. Does money really matter.. Money and ownership only means something because we have agreed on that it means something, and it is enforced by Governments.
If a family has to look for food to survive they wont care if you bought some land, or if your grandparents acquired a lot of land 100 years ago and wrote it down on a piece of paper..
No point to be too trigger happy..
It goes far beyond "a piece of paper". Just as the Indians were forced from their land, so will be the farmers, according to your "entitlement" ideas. The Indians OWNED the land for many generations and there was no "piece of paper". They owned it, paid for through their own sweat and blood. And they fought and died for it, just as farmers will.

Do you own a car? I think I want that car. Oh, it doesn't matter if you bought and paid for it and wrote it down on a piece of paper. I need it, so I'll give you my address and you bring it right on over please. Maybe I want your wife too. Is she good looking? "New times new rules"... That's crazy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirtfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfarmer View Post
It goes far beyond "a piece of paper". Just as the Indians were forced from their land, so will be the farmers, according to your "entitlement" ideas. The Indians OWNED the land for many generations and there was no "piece of paper". They owned it, paid for through their own sweat and blood. And they fought and died for it, just as farmers will.

Do you own a car? I think I want that car. Oh, it doesn't matter if you bought and paid for it and wrote it down on a piece of paper. I need it, so I'll give you my address and you bring it right on over please. Maybe I want your wife too. Is she good looking? "New times new rules"... That's crazy!
I think you misunderstand me..
I am not saying it is right.. or that i like it.. I am just saying how i think it would be.. based on how it has always been, in times of trouble.
Human nature can be crazy sometimes..
We have seen it many times throughout history, women also become open sport in times of war, no doubt. Take a deeper look at Africa.. and what is going on over there.. I do not think you will like what you see..
Ownership and laws mean little when there is no one to enforce them.

And BTW the "trigger happy" line was meant for the context it was put in.. not where it is in the quoted answer.. If you are going to quote me, please take the whole thing and do not cut it like FOX news..
The Following User Says Thank You to Kmany For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,500 Times in 1,588 Posts

I certainly empathize with the OP.

But there are some interesting points brought up. Homesteading laws and customs come to mind.