Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 05-13-2012, 02:42 PM
Prepared

Default antique 2 row corn planters

Advertise Here

In my opinion one of the best tools you can own is a two-row antique 3pt hitch corn planter. They are very simple to operate and they revolutionize your gardening. If you have the ability to break and disk your ground with a tractor and have at least five acres you definitely need a planter. We paid $200 for ours and they are readily available in most rural areas. You can plant a five-acre plot in a couple of hours. You can use a corn planter to plant corn, beans, pumpkins, squash, pickles, or any similar sized seed. If you have special plates you can also plant smaller seeds like sorghum.

Ten pounds of pinto beans purchased at the grocery will plant over an acre. Add ten pounds of heirloom corn seed and you'll have a year's supply of dried beans and corn bread for about $100. The corn planter is the key.

We do not use the fertilizer boxes on our planter, though we could. Fertilizer is so expensive now we only fertilize AFTER the plants emerge. That way if something happens, bad weather etc. and we don't get a good stand we haven't wasted all that money on fertilizer.

With the wide spacing of the corn planter you can do all your cultivation with a common one-row 3pt hitch cultivator, saving most of the tiller work.

Corn planters and small cultivators are very easy to pull so even a very tiny tractor can be made to work. I expect a horse-drawn planter could be pulled with a large lawn mower or 4-wheeler. We have had one small problem using a small tractor with a planter. The tractor wheels are closer together making the planter operate in the hard packed tractor tracks. If you can design some way to offset the planter to one side the small tractors will work better.

To test a planter raise it and hand rotate the wheels to make sure seeds are being dropped. The depth of the tractor's lift should be set carefully to make sure you don't plant too deep. You can depend on planters to already be set up correctly since most farmers who used them have worked that out already.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirtfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 12,252 Times in 5,088 Posts

Great idea. I've never seen anything like that for sale here, but I'll be keeping an eye out.

I'm using a manual push planter now and I'd hate to think of planting a large acreage like that. I'm planting maybe an acre with it now and that wears me down.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,321 Times in 3,901 Posts

big with the Amish ......
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM
old hand

Thanked 6,270 Times in 2,984 Posts

I've seen these popping up all over.
Guys are buying old planters and remaking them into two row units.

... get five of your friends to go in on it, a 12 row JD 7100 can sell pretty cheap at a farm auction.

The planters are ground driven and have finger pickup meters, it will plant any seed.
These planters also come with a rotary meter for sowing higher populations.
Attached Thumbnails
jd71002s1.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 02:25 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-hunter View Post
Guys are buying old planters and remaking them into two row units.

... get five of your friends to go in on it, a 12 row JD 7100 can sell pretty cheap at a farm auction.

The planters are ground driven and have finger pickup meters, it will plant any seed.
These planters also come with a rotary meter for sowing higher populations.
What you're suggesting is much nicer than my old antique one. I was raised following an old horse-drawn planter so the old ones are very familiar to me. The first 3 pt planters were converted horse versions. I don't understand exactly how the new ones work. On youtube there's a guy using a ONE row planter behind a riding mower. It's really neat. One row would really be nice for small gardens. It would also solve my problem of planting in the packed tractor tracks on my little China tractor.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 PM
old hand

Your antique planter uses plates with notches to meter the seed, a different sized plate is needed for different sized seed.
You must buy graded seed that is the correct size/shape for the plates you have, or you must have multiple sets of plates.

Newer planters (Dad called them 'plateless planters') have meters which have dozens of mechanical fingers that pick individual seeds and drop them with precision. One can plant any size seed without any calibration whatsoever.

Other planters use vacuum or air pressure and a different kind of plate.
I never liked those, there's too much to go wrong.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Prepared

This one is exactly like mine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 04:43 PM
who? what? me? No!!!

I have been looking at these alot lately, tho in my area, I think they are gold plated.

one that is operational, yet, maybe not complete, or beat up will sell for close to $1000
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 AM
Prepared

These Covington planters date from the early 1950s. The rear compartment is for grain, specifically corn, although different plates can be used to plant peas, etc. I have planted more peanuts with this kind of planter than any other crop. The round container in front of the grain boxes are cotton planters. One could get plates for the old "fuzzy" seed or the acid de-linted seed. These planters were popular in the south because a farmer could plant his corn, cotton, peanuts, and garden with the same planters. A fertilizer box mounts in front of the cotton box. The fertilizer box isn't mounted in this picture. The next picture shows some of the different plates available. In later years (70s and 80s) plates were available for planting soybeans. These planters are still manufactured. They are mounted on a cultivator frame. After planting is done, the planters can be removed from the cultivator and it is used for plowing out the weeds in the crop. The third picture shows the cultivator behind a 600 Ford tractor. These planters and the tractor belonged to my FIL who used them from the 50s through the early 80s.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levelfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 09:33 AM
old hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelfarmer View Post
A fertilizer box mounts in front of the cotton box.
This is the reason there aren't many of these left in the corn belt.

I cringe when I see a guy put starter fertilizer attachments on a new planter.
You'll notice it on the paint in a couple years, pretty soon all the bushings sieze up
... next thing you know it's all rusted out.
The Following User Says Thank You to ex-hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
I have been looking at these alot lately, tho in my area, I think they are gold plated.

one that is operational, yet, maybe not complete, or beat up will sell for close to $1000
It's hard to find them decently priced anymore, alot of hunters do food plots and buy up the old farming equipment to do this.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 AM

I had one of the Internation planters and it was more reliable than the modern ones.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Great idea. I've never seen anything like that for sale here, but I'll be keeping an eye out.

I'm using a manual push planter now and I'd hate to think of planting a large acreage like that. I'm planting maybe an acre with it now and that wears me down.
Mount two or four Earthway planters side by side, build a hitch and pull them behind a garden tractor or a 4-wheeler. They are ground drive just like the old ones and you can use them for many different kinds of crops. The old corn planters are getting hard to find parts for and they are limited by seed size.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfarmer View Post
We have had one small problem using a small tractor with a planter. The tractor wheels are closer together making the planter operate in the hard packed tractor tracks. If you can design some way to offset the planter to one side the small tractors will work better.
I've never used one like the one that you have shown in the video, but the Covington planters in levelfarmer's pictures are very easy to remove one of the planters, move the other to the middle of the frame, and make it a one-row. My dad and I did that with one of his in order to use it with a small Kubota tractor that he had.
Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,114 Posts

Covington is still in business and still making planters and cultivators, but if you can find a used one in good condition, they're much cheaper.

http://www.covingtonplanter.com/products.htm

Here's a link to a PDF file for a seed spacing chart for the Covington planters:

http://www.covingtonplanter.com/Asse...fdistances.pdf
Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Hunter

Tractor Supply and Northern Tool both have the one row push "row seeder" I don't know if they will ship but if your looking it don't hurt to ask.