Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 05-13-2012, 12:54 PM

Default Best tomahawk for throwing

Advertise Here

I was just wondering if anyone had any input on what they thought the overall best throwing tomahawk was. All answers are greatly appreciated

-praveenbodaway
Old 05-14-2012, 02:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,330 Times in 3,171 Posts

Usually in the hands of the guy whooping you two ways to Sunday.

There is no best!

I've seen guys throwing Cold Steel made by American Tomahawk to $2,500 Dan'l Winkler hawks...The hawks didn't throw any better or worse since it's your ability to aim and release that wins or loses.

Once you find your sweet spot(s) you can throw any knife or hawk or double bit lumbering axe with ease...5 paces for knife, 7 for hawk, 10 for axe and for hawk reversed...You'll just have to move slightly forward or back depending on your stride and arm length and slightly right or left to align yourself with the target.

NMLRA rules have a max of 4" face/cutting edge.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,285 Times in 525 Posts

The best tomahawk for throwing is someone elses!

A tomahawk is a tool like any other cutting instrument. If you throw it and miss then whoever you threw it at now has your tomahawk. I carry one because it is light and chops well for the light chopping i will do when camping.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Trapper

Tomahawks are not on my want lists. They are dangerous to use, risky to throw, and not as useful as a good machete. I keep a folding saw and a couple of "buck" saws handy. I do use a "Buck" hatchet to split kindling off the back patio. Sport throwing is one thing but using it for self defense is a totally different animal--risky at best. If an adversary gets that close then you have failed as a shooter--lol.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 3,010 Times in 1,519 Posts

Quote:
Tomahawks are not on my want lists.
Well, good for you. I really needed to know that about you. Now do you happen to have an answer to the OP or were you just wasting everyone's time?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone had any input on what they thought the overall best throwing tomahawk was.

Got three of these. It's an actual historic throwing axe design. They work great. The tip forward design sticks well.

The first couple of hafts, I cut off short for the looks. But after replacing a couple, I stopped wasting my time. No point. And, with the stick left long out the top as in the pic, it makes a perfect fist-filling ulu type of knife for cutting stuff/shaving wood etc.

This one's my hiking axe. Used it for several seasons. The haft was coated in tung oil and then wrapped while wet. Once wrapped, it got three more coats of tung oil to seal the wrapping in place. The turk's heads are brass tacked into place. I don't toss this one, though. Don't want to have to remake the haft if it breaks.

r
The Following User Says Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Release the hounds

Here is the hawk I have, they are surprisingly inexpensive as compared to many of the other builders. It is really well balanced and is regulation if you want to get into any competitions for anything with the NMLRA. That particular hawk is super easy to sharpen and holds a good edge without chipping when a target gets missed and hits a small stone or two. Do yourself a favor and get a few extra handles as you are sure to break them until you learn how to throw the hawk.
http://jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?products_id=65
The Following User Says Thank You to Celt5494 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,481 Times in 5,612 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc79092 View Post
The best tomahawk for throwing is someone elses!

A tomahawk is a tool like any other cutting instrument. If you throw it and miss then whoever you threw it at now has your tomahawk. I carry one because it is light and chops well for the light chopping i will do when camping.
I was going to go a cheap one but the same theory applies.

And thowing a tomahawk increases the chance of you breaking it or loosing it.
So even practice with a cheap one.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Quote:
Here is the hawk I have,
Cool! You shop at James Townsend's, too? I spend a hundred bucks with them almost every month. Got my franciscas from them. Great folks!

rich
Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 PM
Release the hounds

Yes they have some really great customer service and their prices are fair.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post

Got three of these. It's an actual historic throwing axe design. They work great. The tip forward design sticks well.

The first couple of hafts, I cut off short for the looks. But after replacing a couple, I stopped wasting my time. No point. And, with the stick left long out the top as in the pic, it makes a perfect fist-filling ulu type of knife for cutting stuff/shaving wood etc.

This one's my hiking axe. Used it for several seasons. The haft was coated in tung oil and then wrapped while wet. Once wrapped, it got three more coats of tung oil to seal the wrapping in place. The turk's heads are brass tacked into place. I don't toss this one, though. Don't want to have to remake the haft if it breaks.

r
Where did you get these hawks? What are they called?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,330 Times in 3,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion2669 View Post
They are called a French Hawk or Axe and one of the dealers is James Townsend and Son (actually it's daughter) as mentioned above.
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 14,394 Times in 4,280 Posts

I have a 50+ year old carpenters hatchet that does everything a more expensive hawk will do and it comes with extra knock down power in the form of more weight.

The secret to self-defense with a hawk is not to have a reason to throw it. Don't give the enemy your weapon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 03:51 PM
GrevCon 7

Thanked 11,402 Times in 3,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post

r
Your cat seems to be daring you.....
Old 09-28-2013, 01:12 PM
This is a great survival forum

If you have a weapon or tool that you might want or need in the future it is stupid to throw it. Rocks are good for throwing - you can usually find another and they aren't good for much else. A spear of wood with a bone point is a better throwing weapon but it takes time to replace and is more useful in your hands.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Human bean of planet Urf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion2669 View Post
It's a francisca. Frankish axe. French axe. Exactly like Seek said. It's an old throwing axe/hawk design that was used exactly like the Viking throwing axes. These were in fact purchased from James Townsend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca

http://jas-townsend.com/index.php?cPath=20_59

They're not really super cheap but they're absolutely terrific throwers and they'll make your 17th century French fur trapper outfit a real conversation piece at the next Rendezvous. If you leave the haft longer on top, sticking up and out of the head and not trimmed off, they make great skinners, too. The haft and the axe socket make for a really comfortable grip, very like an ulu. I've more than once used them to slice pizzas here. The nephews and nieces always got a kick out of it.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Trapper

I have played with a wide variety of tomahawks and bought a SOG battleaxe, it's a nice thrower but the handle sucks. My dad has a very old, like pre 1970s tomahawk that is awesome I've found some like his at a mountain man store for 60-75 bucks. Looking at this one you guys are posting I might wanna try them. I've heard of people killing rabbits and squirrels with them with a little practice. A lot of the newer style ones made by SOG, cold steal and the likes don't seem to be meant for throwing as much. My buddy busted a SOG fasthawk and I have the tactical one that doesn't stick for crap unless I turn it around and use the pointed end.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:39 AM
The Convicted Audiophile™

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,757 Posts

I prefer spike hawks
The Cold Steel version is decent/good enough (for me)...
Old 03-30-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
They are called a French Hawk or Axe and one of the dealers is James Townsend and Son (actually it's daughter) as mentioned above.
How is the head to haft fit on these? I ask d/t disappointment with CS's fit and my inability to get the fit I want. So, do the franciscas fit well out of the box or is some work necessary?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 AM

Additionally, how does the unique blade shape lend itself to sticking after reverse throws with half turns?