Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-08-2012, 08:55 AM
I love this forum

Default Revolver or Henry US Survival pack gun?

Advertise Here

I feel the need to carry a .22 lr and a brick of ammo. Currently have a US Survival Henry. Considering a S&W 63 steel .22lr or a 317 aluminum .22 both in 3 inch barrels. The steel weighs twice as much but might be a tougher gun?

Up for consideration is also the Marlin Papoose.

How valuable is a .22 when space and weight matters?
Old 05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
11B3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloher View Post
I feel the need to carry a .22 lr and a brick of ammo. Currently have a US Survival Henry. Considering a S&W 63 steel .22lr or a 317 aluminum .22 both in 3 inch barrels. The steel weighs twice as much but might be a tougher gun?

Up for consideration is also the Marlin Papoose.

How valuable is a .22 when space and weight matters?
If you have the room and plan on hunting with your .22, go with the rifle. If it is merely a survival or emergency gun then I would recommend the aluminum pistol.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM
Hired Gun

I am a big fan of the Marlin Papoose. Very accurate, breaks down easily and the stock isn't super fat like on the survival rifle. A rifle is easier to shoot accurately, especially at longer distances. So like Austin said; it makes a better hunting gun. The Papoose would also be quicker and easier to reload if need be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sentry18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 10:36 AM

I know it isn't one of your listed options, but my choice is a Beretta U22 Neos + carbine kit. Carry as a pistol, and can easily/quickly swap the barrel and grip/stock when you want a carbine. 3.8 pounds in carbine form.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,079 Posts

There is nothing that a packable .22lr rifle can do that a .22lr pistol with a red dot cannot.

There is very little usable performance loss from a shorter barrel and with a red dot the entire concept of 'sight plane' goes out the window.

A .22lr pistol with an aluminum barrel and red dot will take up almost no space, weigh very little and will perform nicely. The only minor drawbacks to a pistol over the rifle are,

1) If I was carrying both a rifle and pistol in the back country I would prefer that the pistol is in a defensive cartridge (not an issue if you are only carrying a pistol I suppose).
2) You get a slight drop in usable performance levels.
3) They are louder than rifles.
4) Without a stock you may need either more practice or something to rest on to take steady shots out to 50+ yards on small game.
5) The red dots (quality ones) can be a bit pricey.

The benefits are,

1) You can have it on you 24/7 while in the woods without drawing any undue attention.
2) They can be used as an emergency defensive device on moderately sized and lightly determined threats.
3) Weigh almost nothing and take up very little space.
4) You can get holsters designed for the red dot setup.
5) Even without a red dot you can harvest game out to 25 yards with a little confidence pretty easily.

Given the choice I would pack a .22lr pistol setup with a red dot over a packable .22lr rifle every time.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:29 AM

The Army has a similar issue with small arms for escape and evasion small game harvesting. Their weapon of choice is a good long barreled .22 target pistol with optics, either a scope or red dot. They recommend Ruger MK II and MK III and S&W autos. A Ruger 22/45 with a red dot holosite would be about 34 oz. plus ammo and a couple of spare mags. To make it really quite, a nice little 8 oz. suppressor would be nice.

http://www.sererescuesog.addr.com/USRSOG-Firearm.htm
Old 05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Safety before not after

there is a new take down 10/22. I think that with a folding stock and a red dot scope, in true scout style, would be the ticket for me. If you had to go from finding food to protection/ self defense I'd rather have the 30 round mags. that plus you can use the 10 rounder’s for different types of ammo and be able to change them quickly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dandanthearmyman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 PM
With all due respect....

Thanked 4,956 Times in 1,275 Posts

Ruger 10/22 Charger
The Following User Says Thank You to Tap Water For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 03:11 PM
I love this forum

How much more does a Papoose weigh then a Henry M7? How well will a Henry hold up? Seems to be build kind of cheap. The next thing to fish is small game. I want to be able to take them down at resonable ranges. Maybe I should stick with the .22 rifle idea since it will be the difference between eating or not.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Safety before not after

the Henry's have had thier problems over the years things like the sights falling off, the firing pin braking, and the triggers. please check out some reviews first
Old 05-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,078 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemY View Post
The Army has a similar issue with small arms for escape and evasion small game harvesting. Their weapon of choice is a good long barreled .22 target pistol with optics, either a scope or red dot. They recommend Ruger MK II and MK III and S&W autos. A Ruger 22/45 with a red dot holosite would be about 34 oz. plus ammo and a couple of spare mags. To make it really quite, a nice little 8 oz. suppressor would be nice.

http://www.sererescuesog.addr.com/USRSOG-Firearm.htm
That is not what the military recomends, issues or advises.

And that website is not sponsored by the military.

It is simply someone's blogspot.

I own good quality .22 pistols and rifles both, and the average person with a cheap .22 rifle will eat better than most pistol shooters. One out of 100 people can shoot a .22 pistol better than a rifle, even with the red dot sight and espically after the red dot battery had died about the third day out.

I like my Henry. I like the Papoose. I like the new 10/22 takedown.

My all time favorite is my old Nylon 66 I have been shooting for going on 40 years. It is almost as light as the Henry but shoot snything you can stuff into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dcliffhanger For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 18,734 Times in 5,903 Posts

For almost all situations except personal defense at close ranges, the rifle will outperform, and be easier to hit with, than the pistol.

Get a Papoose or a 10/22 Takedown. Skip the AR-7. The papoose and the 10/22 are good rifles that also happen to be takedowns. The AR-7 is a takedown that happens to be a rifle.

I could never hit as well with a pistol as I could with a rifle, regardless of optic. YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
For almost all situations except personal defense at close ranges, the rifle will outperform, and be easier to hit with, than the pistol.
Exactly.

The sad truth is that 22lr pistols don't really have a lot of real practical uses. I take mine when i'm fishing and to handle rats, snakes etc. That's about it, i could make do with a rifle if i had to, the pistol is just more convenient.

I consider the 2 main choices for travel rifle are the Ruger 10/22 takedown vs the Henry AR-7. One is a better rifle but less compact, the other is more compact but lesser quality. It just depends on what your intention is. For your car, the Ruger, for your travel backpack, the Henry AR-7.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,254 Times in 749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goop View Post
Exactly.

The sad truth is that 22lr pistols don't really have a lot of real practical uses. I take mine when i'm fishing and to handle rats, snakes etc. That's about it, i could make do with a rifle if i had to, the pistol is just more convenient.

I consider the 2 main choices for travel rifle are the Ruger 10/22 takedown vs the Henry AR-7. One is a better rifle but less compact, the other is more compact but lesser quality. It just depends on what your intention is. For your car, the Ruger, for your travel backpack, the Henry AR-7.
False.

There is a thread on this very forum comparing a Henry A7 to a scoped MkIII.

The Pistol won.

I own all of these this is my break down on accuracy.

1) 10/22
2) 10/22 break down (depends on optics, iron, no difference)
3) Ruger MK II, MKIII (Scoped, or dotted)
4) Henry
Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Crazy

Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,041 Posts

A buddy of mine just got the Ruger 45/22 its very accurate. We were pegging bottles at 50 yards like it was nothing.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 AM

i have a ruger m2 comp, and i can hit a coke can at 75 yards on a good day, i would say that im a better pistol shot than 75% of the shooter out there, and would not feal unarmed if a 22 pistol was all i had, having said all of this, i would still take a rifle if given a choise, while i can hit the can at 75 yards 7 out of 10 times i can hit the same can 10 out of 10 times at 100 to 125 yards with a rifle,and the bottom line is putting food in the pot, and the rifle gives you a better chance to do this, if you do chose the pistol,the ruger single six would be a good choice, it,s not picky on what ammo it will feed, you can load it with snake shot if you need to, and if your not to familure with firearms it,s easy enough to see it,s safe, i own a ruger bearcat, it,s a neet little gun realy small and light, however i don,t find it all that accurate, don,t get me wrong it,s not bad, but it,s nothing that your going to run out and tell your frainds about, although part of it could be me, it has rather small grips, that aurn,t exactly used for target use, one more gun ide like to mention, is the magnum research, mountain eagle, i owned one in the early 90.s it,s a 22 pistol about as accurate as a ruger mark 2 but with a poly frame, i hate poly guns but i have to say this little gun was light waight very accurate, and held 15 rounds, there getting a little hard to find these days but there a nice little pistol to carry in the woods, in my opion anyway,
Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Recent Blog:
[CaRP] Failed to open file: not yet
USMC 4 LIFE

the henry fits in a small pack and you could bury it if you have to. its water proof. i have the takedown will be getting the henry next.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:43 AM
I love this forum

I would prefer a revolver over the Ruger for ease of cleaning in the field. I have a ruger and love it but the thing is a pain to field strip.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:23 AM

I like kit guns - 3" 22s but to me they are for plinking and short range use. If I had to go with a packable 22, it would be my Ruger MKII. I am very accurate with it and love shooting it at 50+ yards using plates or clays (seated with shooting sticks). It is amazing how well one can do with iron sights once they are "dialed in". Now for woods bumming, the kit gun like the revolvers you mentioned would be fine. I prefer my Walther P22 - light, fun, easy to reload, accurate enough short range.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,335 Times in 907 Posts

Never understood why folks insist on carrying a 22lr backpacking. Is 10% of your total carry weight of 50-60 pounds really worth it for an item you will only need if you are lost for a week and can be replaced by some snare wire?

If you are going to carry a gun backpacking, it is my opinion that you should carry one capable of self defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post: