Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 05-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Firefighter Hazmat ops

Default WASR-10 Double stack rifle

Advertise Here

http://www.dunhamssports.com/product...e-stack-rifle/

I am looking at getting a 7.62x39 or a 5.56. I found this on dunhams which is local to me. I have heard good things about this gun, and was wondering if the price was good?

Oh will be getting a rifle once I find out if I passed my exams. (get paid then.)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:27 AM
With all due respect....

Thanked 4,949 Times in 1,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmi_bigdave View Post

I am looking at getting a 7.62x39 or a 5.56. I found this on dunhams which is local to me. I have heard good things about this gun, and was wondering if the price was good?

Oh will be getting a rifle once I find out if I passed my exams. (get paid then.)
First off you're going to get a lot of guys to tell you this is a great rifle and they've had good experiances with them. I had one that was an "ok" weapon, but nothing worth $500 I'll tell you that.

At one time I owned 3 others and paid around $300 each for them. All three were junk: canted sights, poor fittings, mis matched parts, used parts, crappy receiver work, mag wobble, constant failure to feeds, etc.

Buy an SGL21, it is a brand new AK from the former Soviet Arms Factory, and you can't go wrong with that.

WASR-10's seem to be hit or miss, so if you want to risk it, go for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tap Water For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,914 Times in 6,770 Posts

If you're careful and check them over, there is no reason to end up with a bad AK of any kind, even with WASRs. Your basic AK is a decent rifle but, like any other weapons system, you have to adjust your tactics to meet its abilities and its limitations. You can also improve them by adding on things, like scopes, that improve your accuracy with them. I did not go with a WASR but I did opt for a Romanian SAR-1 in 7.62 X 39. But no matter what rifle you opt to buy, check it over with a keen eye and look for things that aren't right like canted front sights, etc.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 AM

The prices on these have skyrocketed. Black Friday of 2011, Dunhams was selling these for $389. The typical online price now is about $480+shipping+transfer fee. So, $550 for a WASR that you can visually inspect and handpick is not too bad of a deal for a local chain store.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WaywardAce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 04:04 AM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,739 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tap Water View Post
First off you're going to get a lot of guys to tell you this is a great rifle and they've had good experiances with them. I had one that was an "ok" weapon, but nothing worth $500 I'll tell you that.

At one time I owned 3 others and paid around $300 each for them. All three were junk: canted sights (922 compliance), poor fittings (922 compliance), mis matched parts (922 compliance), used parts (922 compliance), crappy receiver work (922 compliance), mag wobble (922 compliance), constant failure to feeds (922 compliance), etc.

Buy an SGL21, it is a brand new AK from the former Soviet Arms Factory, and you can't go wrong with that.

WASR-10's seem to be hit or miss, so if you want to risk it, go for it.
WASRs seem to be hit or miss in the US, because you don't know which tool monkey slabbed them together. There seems to be poor quality control.

Other manufacturers offering AK clones have slightly better quality control, but the rifles are more expensive. But even those rifles are slabbed together in the US. And they do not have the quality of a Bulgarian made Arsenal rifle or even a FEG from Hungary.

So my advice is, buy where you can touch and inspect. That avoids a lot of trouble.

I also have a Romanian AK clone (Cugir) and it is made in Romania and no other person touched it and messed with it. Zero problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Waldlaeufer For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 05:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,183 Times in 682 Posts

You can take a go at one of these CAI does have a send back and fix problems policy. If they can figure out whats wrong they will fix it.

Most of the issues Tap Water siad can be a easy fix by them or a local smith. You can also tack on 3XX bucks send it off to Rifle Dynamics and get back a nearly Aresneal quality AK out of what most consider low end. If you don't have the cash now thats how I would buy it. If you can get a higher quality AK I would suggest that.

A higher quality AK will give you near AR15 accuracy if not better (better then DPMS in many cases). However even many of the low budget AKs will function reliably unlike companies like Bushmaster, or DPMS that tend to fail at CQing there guns.... then again CAI has the same issue.

Id buy one for the price if I could touch it.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarksInnerDemon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmi_bigdave View Post

Often they have 20% off on anything over $150, they do that here about every other week, nice way to save a few bucks and get closer to what they should retail for.

A lot of the CAI issues have passed, the "canted sights/mag wobble" issues did exist, horribly, a few years ago, but as CAI has worked to overcome them the perception of these in the marketplace hasn't kept pace with the new reality.

Handle it for sure before you buy, but I suspect that you'll be well pleased with the purchase. It's a 4 MOA weapon (4 inch groups at 100 yards), which is what a battle weapon is intended to be. It's not meant to be a "tack driver", if you want that buy a bolt weapon, not a semi auto. And what gets overlooked here all too often is the fact that, if you ever have to use it in a "real life" as opposed to plinking situation, your heart rate, etc. are likely going to be so jacked up that any failure to hit what's being targeted will be shooter induced, not weapon induced...lol.

Enjoy your new shooter, they're fun, reliable, easy to service, and dependable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobbers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 11:15 AM
Firefighter Hazmat ops

Thanks for the info. Exactly what I wanted to hear.It would be cool if they had a sale on them again.

I checked the website again, and now my local store is out and the closet is ohio.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM

I have a wasr 10-63 I have not ran many rounds through it yet (less than 500) however I have not had any issues other than ergonomics with the short stock on the gun. I fixed this problem with the addition of an adjustable stock. I looked at the Dunhams in Pittsburgh at those same rifles. I was planning to purchase there but found a used one at a better price. The rifles I looked at did not have the slash cut muzzle brake and the one I got does not either. The gun is still easy to shoot and is as managable as are my m4 type rifles. Look it over good, make sure the sights are straight and enjoy the heck out of the gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to sleeplightly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,705 Times in 836 Posts

When dunham's has these on sale they are usually 450.....up from 350 a couple years ago. They are not the top dogs of ak's, but they work as well as any.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to reverendg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Safety before not after

i seen a Saiga 7.62 x 39 at my last gun show in niles, oh for $389. If your looking for a toy to plink with check it out at your local shop. If your looking for a battle rifle there is many how to on the net to convert it into an ak. But as always i would check the local pawn shops first. They have some of the best finds ever! just make sure you check them out before you buy. If your just learning, thats ok, ask a friend who has one and some know how to go with you
The Following User Says Thank You to dandanthearmyman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 12:00 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,498 Posts

You can get a much better AK for the same price or less. First thing I always tell people that are looking at an AK online is, go to your local gun store. Go to all of them in fact.
Secondly, look at an AMD65.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Firefighter Hazmat ops

Alright. My buddy showed me his sks (didn't realize he had), it looks preety sweet too. Will be getting ammo to shoot it. He also mentioned to me to buy the parts for a ar15 and he would help me build it (used to be a gunsmith). So now I have more choices and decisions to make...
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 AM

Jeez they're really expensive right now.

Those are bottom of the barrel weapons that were cut in half and shipped here as parts kits, then assembled on a new receiver by drunken oafs, evidentally.

Look for canted sites, mag wobble, rivets not properly seated, that kind of thing.

You're way better off if you can pick the best of the litter.

*maybe* they're all better now. I wouldn't trust without verifying, personally.

All that said, drunken oafs have been assembling ak47s for 50 years now and they still function, but fit and finish is where you see differences between high and low end.

Demand is huge, everything is expensive right now. If you can wait a year or two, prices might go down
The Following User Says Thank You to socalocalypse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Dirty or clean.Wet or dry

Thanked 1,870 Times in 858 Posts

Demand and prices will be going up. I remember saying I wish I would've bought one when they were 289, 350, 389. I had to inspect 4 before I settled on one w/o canted sights and little mag wobble when they were on sale awhile back for $450. I didn't want to look back and say I wish I would've bought one back when they were 450, 550 etc. Doesn't shoot any different than my friends Arsenal. The finish on the Arsenal is much, much better, if that's important to you. For me it's just a beater range gun in the AK platform for some variety.

I just wish someone would make a flat trigger like the Geiselle Super Dynamic. I emailed Tapco since the G2 triggers are one of their better products, nothing on the horizon for the foreseeable future. Unless of course they get a alot more emails then they might consider it if they were smart.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 PM

I got one last year. The newer ones seem to be mostly problem-free (the 3 I looked at had no canted sights, mag wobble, etc). YMMV, but I've had great luck with mine. There's 846 rds through it (I keep a barrel log on all my firearms) with only a few jams that were from a bad mag. A set of calipers and a dremel tool made it just fine, no problems since then.

The accuracy is pretty good. Again, you get what you pay for. I can say that using the Herter's ammo (mine was from Cabelas) in MY rifle, the groups are very tight out to 200 yards. For the engangement distances in my area, that's more than I could ask for. Using the cheap Golden Tiger laquered ammo, it looked like a shotgun blast at 50 yards. Again, that's just mine

I did get the chance to fire an Arsenal AK and it did feel better when I held and fired it. The grouping was only about 2" tighter at 150 yards, so for the cost savings, I was ok with my WASR.

So, get your hands on it and check it out. Worst case, you can put it up for sale and you're only out some time for experimenting. I see plenty of "wanting to buy" posts in my area on armslist dot com, so I'm pretty sure I can dump it for what I paid for it and walk away clean.

But for me, it's just too fun to shoot. My teenage daughter was reluctant to try it, but she hit a plastic garbage can 30 out of 30 at 75 yards with it the first time she picked it up. Needless to say, it's staying in the family.