Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Heavens to Mergatroid

Thanked 9,326 Times in 4,161 Posts
Default Kill Shot For a Deer With a .22LR

Advertise Here

Ok, i'm curious. I've been reading a lot of posts about being able to kill a deer with a .22 LR.
I've never attempted it, so, where is the best kill shot and at what best yardage would that be?
I have a group for those of us who like to prospect or mine for gold. Whether it be the person who just prospects with a pan, uses a metal detector or the person who has a giant trommel. Everyone's Welcome!
www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=370
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to txplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,952 Times in 4,454 Posts

This has potential for ugly written all over it.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:42 PM
DIE HARD PATRIOT

Thanked 1,694 Times in 591 Posts

Head shot at close range no more than 25yds.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Semper Fi 0311 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,312 Times in 703 Posts

In Wv a .22 hornet is the smallest legal rifle and was my kid gun. I lilled two doe with it (durimg doe seasom of course). One i got in the front shoulder and it ran and the the leg gave out, that was when i was 17. The other i did years later and did a head shot, went in just above the nose, dropped sfraight to the ground.
Parents butcher cows with a .22 pistol so i think a well placed shot in the head or heart will get the deer. Head shot will prevent any damage to the meat, only concern is if a bug racked buck has a stronger skull?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,305 Times in 5,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txplowgirl View Post
Ok, i'm curious. I've been reading a lot of posts about being able to kill a deer with a .22 LR.
I've never attempted it, so, where is the best kill shot and at what best yardage would that be?
Well be aware that some states have a minimum caliber for hunting deer.

That being said, your post asks about "killing deer" not hunting deer. Killing deer, a headshot would be recommended. And yes it can be done with a .22

Now the best yardage for that is probably 1-3 yards for safety purposes.

Now for those that "hunt deer"... using a .22 (legally?) is risky for MOST people. Not all, most. The distance depends on your skill and competence. You will not be making any 50 yard shots or anything with a .22. So probably 10 or less yards I would say.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,241 Times in 607 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

from the side is the best spot ,,,about half way between the back of eye and the top of the ear where it starts out of skull,,theres only a area about the size of a fifty cent piece that will drop them in their tracks,,so range is what you can hit that small area in,,,i dont think i would try outside of fifty yards tho,,it might of lost enough by then to not work ,,,but at thirty or so they fold right up

and to all thats going to call me a poacher ,,i hunted with natives in north west ontario for years ,,,they have no game laws they must follow,,i did being non native but they could use whatever they wanted anytime they wanted,,,ive seen moose shot an killed with a 22
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to wilderness bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Heavens to Mergatroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalguy72 View Post
This has potential for ugly written all over it.
And that is How?
I have a group for those of us who like to prospect or mine for gold. Whether it be the person who just prospects with a pan, uses a metal detector or the person who has a giant trommel. Everyone's Welcome!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,350 Times in 2,909 Posts

I used to shoot a couple a day when I worked on a dairy. They had a crop depredation permit. My .22 would put one in the ear (if the deer was side on) or the eye (if the deer was face on) at anything under 100 yds. It wasn't even a challenge and I didn't get any joy from it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,141 Posts

For cattle, put an imaginary X between the eyes and horns, or poles.
Use a solid point bullet.
Should be very close.
It may just stun the animal. The throat is cut to bleed as soon as animal goes down.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Heavens to Mergatroid

I'm a very direct person. I have a tendency to say what i'm thinking without a lot of beating around the bush. I can't stand it when people beat around the bush, if you're gonna say something say it and don't screw around.

I guess what I was trying to say was hypthetically speaking. It's just that I have seen quite a few posts where people were giving what they thought were their opinions on shooting deer not hunting. Hypothetically, I was wondering best shot, best yardage in posters opinions. Geesh.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to txplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,241 Times in 607 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangea View Post
I used to shoot a couple a day when I worked on a dairy. They had a crop depredation permit. My .22 would put one in the ear (if the deer was side on) or the eye (if the deer was face on) at anything under 100 yds. It wasn't even a challenge and I didn't get any joy from it.
i agree ,,,i love to hunt ,,but the saddest part is the shot ,,,my joy comes from being in the bush with the wildlife,,,it always makes me a bit sad after the shot,,but i eat what i hunt and hunters pay for more wildlife habitat and preservation than anyone else,,,the money from them have reestablished several populations in areas where they were gone from
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to wilderness bushman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanked 18,770 Times in 7,774 Posts

Quote:
A deer at 100 yds with a 22 and not be a challenge? Seriously doubt it!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to rokitman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,049 Times in 2,559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Well be aware that some states have a minimum caliber for hunting deer.

That being said, your post asks about "killing deer" not hunting deer. Killing deer, a headshot would be recommended. And yes it can be done with a .22

Now the best yardage for that is probably 1-3 yards for safety purposes.

Now for those that "hunt deer"... using a .22 (legally?) is risky for MOST people. Not all, most. The distance depends on your skill and competence. You will not be making any 50 yard shots or anything with a .22. So probably 10 or less yards I would say.

thats wrong!! the penatration of a .22lr will suprise most ppl. you can drop a deer well over 100yrds away IF you do your part.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...=782785&page=1
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,305 Times in 5,976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txplowgirl View Post
I'm a very direct person. I have a tendency to say what i'm thinking without a lot of beating around the bush. I can't stand it when people beat around the bush, if you're gonna say something say it and don't screw around.

I guess what I was trying to say was hypthetically speaking. It's just that I have seen quite a few posts where people were giving what they thought were their opinions on shooting deer not hunting. Hypothetically, I was wondering best shot, best yardage in posters opinions. Geesh.
Here is the straight deal.

There is a distinction between hunting and killing that you should be aware of and here is why... Hunting involves getting close enough to the deer in order to effectively shoot it, even hypothetically with a .22.

Killing involves walking up to a deer and shooting it. It could be injured, incapacitated, or tied up.

For best shot, best yardage I say 10-15 yards. max and I am a good shot with a .22 But I would not risk taking half a does jaw off if I happen to miss a longer shot. Now can you get a deer 20 yards or less to you? That is the hunting part.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitman View Post
A deer at 100 yds with a 22 and not be a challenge? Seriously doubt it!
Shoot much? The same rifle busts stationary clay pigeons at 200 yards at a rate that gets boring but you go ahead and doubt it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pangea For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:45 PM

You shoot a deer with a 22 chances are its going to die. Its a matter if its going to die from the damage the bullet caused or by the infection that wound catches after a week or two. People underestimate the 22. A 22 caliber hole through a lung will kill a deer its just going to be a matterof how long it takes to bleed out. Personally I wouldn't do it but if it was all I had I'm taking the shot. Also 22 very little recoil could probably get 3 or 4 rounds in the lungs/heart real quick
The Following User Says Thank You to mainah976 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:47 PM
...all out of bubble gum

Thanked 1,195 Times in 433 Posts

From the front....... picture a line from top eyelid to the other top eyelid, aim for the center.

From the side...... aim for the imaginary line between the eye and ear.

From the top..... center between the ears if they were erect.

I can't verify the "from the top" shot, all three areas were taught to me by my grandfather. I can personally verify the front and side shots, using Stingers in an old Marlin with a scope. Both were "drop" shots at approx 60-75 yards out.

Last edited by kevinthenurse; 05-06-2012 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Added distance shot was made.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kevinthenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,992 Times in 3,351 Posts

A 22 will kill about anything within reason depending on where the shot is placed but hunting a deer with a 22LR will get you in deep manure with the law.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SCALPHUNTER For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM
Survivor

Old 05-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,184 Times in 652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptkeeper View Post
thats wrong!! the penatration of a .22lr will suprise most ppl. you can drop a deer well over 100yrds away IF you do your part.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...=782785&page=1
Quote:
Shoot much? The same rifle busts stationary clay pigeons at 200 yards at a rate that gets boring but you go ahead and doubt it.
I don't know how much arm chair thinking there is here, but these guys are right on. A .22lr is probably the most underrated round on the planet, and it's possible that more deer have been killed with it than with any other round if you count poachers.

Hit one in the head at 100 yards and it will enter, go through the brain and knock out a good sized piece of skull where it exits. Same at 200 yards if you do your part.

Hit one in the heart/artery area at 100 yards and it's dead. It may walk or run a couple of hundred feet but it's dead on its feet. Heck, I saw a mule deer walk about 100 feet and then drop dead when broadsided through the heart with a 30-06. It just looked like it got "pushed" in the side and the shooter thought he'd missed until it dropped.

I think it would be a really good thing for more preppers to gain more respect for the .22lr with just bulk pack ammo. You can carry a lot of ammo, the gun is light and easy to shoot accurately, and it's deadly.