Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 PM
May the Lord be with us

Thanked 8,088 Times in 3,261 Posts
Default VEPR and Super VEPR in 308

Advertise Here

It would seem to me that a high quality, accurate rifle in 762 x 51/308, based upon the reliable AK platform, with the addition of a heavy duty RPK receiver, and (in the case of the Super VEPR), a fluted barrel would make a great addition.

Does anyone have any first hand experience that they care to share?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Getting there....

I've only handled one at a show. This was the VEPR imported around 10 years or so back from (I believe) Ukraine. I noticed a decided lack of tool marks, etc that seems pretty common with many AK derivative models and the receiver seemed a bit thicker than most. Even then, the price was around $700+ I think, so it was out of my league.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Getting there....

And I just got done drooling over Atlantic Firearms' selection of VEPRs. Man, I'd love to have the deee-luuxxe 7.62x54r model.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 AM
May the Lord be with us

I agree.... If they handle and shoot as I'd imagine, they could be one of the best available options out there...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:28 PM
смерть на дальнем расстоя

Thanked 6,995 Times in 2,508 Posts

I have a friend who just got the .308 super. I am impressed. It is rock soild and at least a 1 MOA at a 100 yards no problem. The only thing I don't like is that the mags are a item you have to get for that rifle. No cheap aftermarket knockoffs as of yet that I know of.

HH54r
The Following User Says Thank You to Hard Hittin 54r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 08:21 PM
May the Lord be with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Hittin 54r View Post
I have a friend who just got the .308 super. I am impressed. It is rock soild and at least a 1 MOA at a 100 yards no problem. The only thing I don't like is that the mags are a item you have to get for that rifle. No cheap aftermarket knockoffs as of yet that I know of.

HH54r
There is a company called csspecs that is making steel aftermarket mags for them...

The Following User Says Thank You to Goethic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 01:23 AM

Oh gees, that is an old video... From back when I ate what I wanted (and picked out my own clothes). Now I'm a married guy and have to eat "right" and wear stuff that looks less like I stole them from a hobo.

And my vepr still had paint on the barrel

Ahh good times.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,613 Times in 600 Posts

I have a VEPR, Hunter, and Super VEPR in .308 on the way to me. They should be here this week. I will test each of them for accuracy with different ammo. The results will be posted on my Youtube channel.

http://www.military-arms.com
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gladius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,777 Times in 32,481 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Hittin 54r View Post

HH54r
I have wanted one for years. But I'm going to wait on the .308 model until the aftermarket catches up with reliable, affordable mags for it. I'm going to invest in the others fairly soon, since I can get mags for them.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Thanked 4,058 Times in 123 Posts

K-VAR has the original mags in stock for a decent price. They have them for $24.99 ea for any of the calibers.
The Following User Says Thank You to elmillgoa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 10:24 PM

On the bright side at least there are after market options, for awhile there factory Vepr .308 mags ran about $70-$80 for a 10 round. Now even if they stop importing the magazines you still have something.
The Following User Says Thank You to csspecs For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM
Merchant

I have purchased mags from csspecs for my vepr. I wrote a review on the AK forum a while back. They are great! I am going to get more of them.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:50 PM
May the Lord be with us

An old thread, yes, but the prices have really come down on these 308 rifles.

Again, does anyone have first hand experiences with these that they can share?
Old 09-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Merchant

I have had three of them. Regular Vepr, Vepr Super, and Vepr Hunter all in .308. I used a cheap cabela's scope on the regular Vepr and used cheap Chinese ammo with great results. At a hundred yards (all the range distance there was at the time), It shot really nice. The Vepr Hunter mechanically (and the others) are very nice. However, the stock on the hunter sucks. The finish looks like school kids did it. The trigger group has been moved forward to make it look like a hunting rifle very similar to the saiga rifles before conversion. The trigger group is different from the rest. It is not glass smooth but pretty nice for an AK. The Hunter had the integral rail mount fixed to the barrel block and extended rearward over the receiver cover. I had to use X-High mounts and a riser to get my scope on target. Seems like these AK's need the scope high above the bore axis. The hunter and vepr super share the fluting and cuts in the barrel for the brake effect. I would rather have the threaded barrel and use the break of my choice.
The recoil is very good. Accuracy is good for the little I shot it. I have not used high grades of ammo to see what it is really capable of.
I would get the newer square backs to allow the use of standard aftermarket stocks. Get the Cspecs mags. You get 20 rounders for the same price as the polymer 10 round mags. The CSpecs are high quality!
For what standard AK's are going for, I would not hesitate to spend a little more on the Vepr. I have had Maadi's and Bulgarian Milled (those are nice too). I just like the robust .308 in the AK. The machining is very good. The actions are the smoothest of any AK I have had or used. If they are priced reasonably and you want one, get it while you can.
The Following User Says Thank You to victor23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Hellenic Idealist

Thanked 2,026 Times in 940 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor23 View Post
I have had three of them. Regular Vepr, Vepr Super, and Vepr Hunter all in .308. I used a cheap cabela's scope on the regular Vepr and used cheap Chinese ammo with great results. At a hundred yards (all the range distance there was at the time), It shot really nice. The Vepr Hunter mechanically (and the others) are very nice. However, the stock on the hunter sucks. The finish looks like school kids did it. The trigger group has been moved forward to make it look like a hunting rifle very similar to the saiga rifles before conversion. The trigger group is different from the rest. It is not glass smooth but pretty nice for an AK. The Hunter had the integral rail mount fixed to the barrel block and extended rearward over the receiver cover. I had to use X-High mounts and a riser to get my scope on target. Seems like these AK's need the scope high above the bore axis. The hunter and vepr super share the fluting and cuts in the barrel for the brake effect. I would rather have the threaded barrel and use the break of my choice.
The recoil is very good. Accuracy is good for the little I shot it. I have not used high grades of ammo to see what it is really capable of.
I would get the newer square backs to allow the use of standard aftermarket stocks. Get the Cspecs mags. You get 20 rounders for the same price as the polymer 10 round mags. The CSpecs are high quality!
For what standard AK's are going for, I would not hesitate to spend a little more on the Vepr. I have had Maadi's and Bulgarian Milled (those are nice too). I just like the robust .308 in the AK. The machining is very good. The actions are the smoothest of any AK I have had or used. If they are priced reasonably and you want one, get it while you can.
Victor,

I'm looking at the .308 real hard. What's your .308 like to clean, hat ammo does it like best, does it eat steel ? Any specifics you can share would be great .
Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 PM
May the Lord be with us

Quote:
Thank you for the very detailed response.

A couple of follow up questions. You refer to the CSS Specs 20 round mags as high quality. I have not had a chance to inspect one personally. From the images I have seen they appear to be made of good quality steel. My two concerns in this regard is that they seem to be the only source for over ten round mags, and what if they stop producing? Also, I have read reviews indicating that people have had to make all sorts of mods to the mags, filing and fitting them to get them to seat and lock up properly. This would be a big turn off to me if this were the case.

Did your mags fit properly and feed well right out of the box? Any issues with these?

Did you mount an optic of any sort on yours? If so, what type of mount and/or riser did you use? How did it work?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Merchant

I shoot the old cheap Chinese steel case ammo that you used to get for $99 for 1040 rounds. Eats them with no problem. I shot some yesterday with my Vepr Hunter at 100 yards using a paper plate for a target. The Chinese was not as accurate as some Lake City BT I had. But you would expect that. The LC was putting them in tight groups. I am having an issue with the integral scope base on my hunter not being dead straight. I am going to have to address this. The hunter does not use the side scope mount. The other Veprs I have or had did have the side mounts. Once I get this issue resolved, I expect to have a nice tack driver at least at the hundred yard mark. I was shooting next to a guy with a .308 AR by Patriot with nice Leupold tactical glass. I think it I was shooting almost as good as he was given I was having issues getting my scope sighted in due to the fixed mount being slightly skewed.
As for cleaning, it is like any other AK. If you want to take it all the way down, no problem. I usually just wipe it down and do a thorough cleaning when I get a lot of rounds through it. Because it is an AK you can not clean it for months and expect it to run ok. Not many people would do that, but I don't doubt you could.
If you want an Ak in .308, its hard to beat the Vepr. It is well made on the RPK receiver if I am not mistaken. The action is super smooth. Fit and finish of the action is clean and well done. One could argue that you could buy two saigas for the same money. I have not priced them lately and that may not be true any more. Center Fire Systems had Vepr's in .223 for around $500. That is hard to beat. My concern would be mags. Not sure how costly mags are. If you decide to go the .308 Vepr route, get plenty of mags. They used to run about $70 for a ten rounder before they began importing them again. now they are about $25. Just go ahead and go to Cspecs and order a bunch.
If you haven't shot an AK with a scope, they are different. Some of them are high above the bore and you need a cheek pad or your shooting with your chin on the stock. I have gotten used to it. I think there may be lower mounts out there as I have read on other forums. It is not a big deal for me. One day when I get serious about it, I may look into this.
The Super has the fluted barrel as you know. Other than cooling and saving a little weight and looking bad ass, I am not sure if it adds to the accuracy vs the standard Vepr. I may have to do a side by side shooting comparison one day to see.
Go to the Vepr Forum and read what others say. AR15.com has an AK forum as well. There is a Vepr sub forum under Russian makes. There is some good info there as well.
I would suggest getting the square back version to make the after market stock switch easier if you decide to do that. I have not and most likely wont since I like the stocks on the Veprs other than my Hunter's finish. The Thumb Hole stocks are extremely well made and fit me well like some of the competition thumb hole aftermarket ones I have used on other rifles. Good luck on your selection.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Merchant

With the Cspec mags, you should not have to modify anything. mine work perfect every time. He sells extra springs and followers if you feel the need. Never modify the gun. Some guys were converting the guns to use all types of mags, Often with unsatisfactory results. With any gun, get more mags than you think you will need. If we have another mag shortage, you will be happy that you did. I am using a Weaver 3x15 tactical scope at the moment. It is a little large for the gun but works well. You don't have to go that route. I had one on hand to try it out.

I think Pro-mag may have come out with a mag for the Vepr. I was never tempted to try it out. Go factory or Cspecs. Cspecs makes different capacity mags for it as well if you need that.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:26 PM
May the Lord be with us

Quote:
With the Cspec mags, you should not have to modify anything. mine work perfect every time. He sells extra springs and followers if you feel the need. Never modify the gun. Some guys were converting the guns to use all types of mags, Often with unsatisfactory results. With any gun, get more mags than you think you will need. If we have another mag shortage, you will be happy that you did. I am using a Weaver 3x15 tactical scope at the moment. It is a little large for the gun but works well. You don't have to go that route. I had one on hand to try it out.

I think Pro-mag may have come out with a mag for the Vepr. I was never tempted to try it out. Go factory or Cspecs. Cspecs makes different capacity mags for it as well if you need that.
Thank you for taking the time to post the detailed comments. Much appreciated.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Hellenic Idealist

Thanked 2,026 Times in 940 Posts

centerfire systems has the .308 VEPR 20 1/2 inch barrel, for $599 and free shipping. Couldn't resist at that price. Any comments on the integrated sights ?
The Following User Says Thank You to hoplite59 For This Useful Post: