Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-04-2012, 02:36 PM

Default Expired Albuterol Sulfate

Advertise Here

Okay, my 12-year old has asthma and uses Albuterol from time to time when she has issues... today I had an older gentleman give me a box of 120 vials of albuterol sulfate (the type you put in a nebulizer).

Just one problem (well, two if you consider what he did being illegal)... but the vials are 5 years past the expiration date. Should I just dump this stuff or store it in the fridge in a major emergency situation? I'm just think, God forbid... the world goes to hell and we have nothing for her, I could break this out to just see if it can help.

Thoughts? I'm leaning towards throwing it away.

BTW: They are still sealed in the original thick packaging.

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryno of the Sith For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 03:01 PM
Fight the Good Fight

my daughter has really bad asthma, we have used old "al-bee" many times. I do feel like it loses some potency over time, but im thinking it would be worth to keep just in case. You could always ask your pharmacist what their opinion is, but they push saftey guidelines for obvious reasons. 5 years? dunno ours was expired about 2yr and cleared me right up during a bad chest cold. but it doesnt seem to work as well for her, but again she probably has a higher resistance with her more constant use.
I feel for ya...people think asthma is the nerdy kids with an inhaler, I would be so happy if thats all my daughter had to deal with. when we rush her to the e-room cause her lips are blue.... ughhh she is getting better! good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to STHOMAS For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Be Prepared

As long as it was stored at room temp. and not subjected to extreme heat or cold it should be OK. May not be as potent, but should still have some affect. Better then nothing. We have used out of date vials in the nebulizer with our son before. It is really just up to what you feel comfortable with.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:39 PM

I have asthma myself and because its not that extreme, my inhalers tend to last me a while and likely pass their expiration date before I ever use them up completely. They have always worked fine for me. I mainly have allergy triggered asthma, which means I have issues when I clean and kick up a ton of dust. It could be different for you though. When you open the packages and so long as the solution is colorless, it should be good to use. I've seen others use their solution past the expiration date and have had no issues so it could be worth a shot. Just like others have said, depends on your comfort level.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcurious View Post
I have asthma myself and because its not that extreme, my inhalers tend to last me a while and likely pass their expiration date before I ever use them up completely. They have always worked fine for me. I mainly have allergy triggered asthma, which means I have issues when I clean and kick up a ton of dust. It could be different for you though. When you open the packages and so long as the solution is colorless, it should be good to use. I've seen others use their solution past the expiration date and have had no issues so it could be worth a shot. Just like others have said, depends on your comfort level.
Thanks... I opened one package because I have 160 unopened (now 155) to just see and they are clear as water, just like I'm used to seeing. I figured just in case of an emergency, I can use these.

And I'm storing them in the bottom of my fridge to keep cool. Thought that would be better than room temp.

Thanks for all the help! Makes me feel better now that I DO have a long-term back-up for my oldest. Funny thing is, giving me this stuff is against the law :P
Old 05-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,772 Times in 8,992 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

HAve you been to the Doctor? Not any doctor.... the survival doctor.

He posts right here on the forum and has his own site where he talks about stuff like this... the email he sent this morning was about 9 steps that could save your life if you (or a loved one) have an asthma attack and have no inhaler.

You should susbscribe to his emails. He has a thread here... http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=211047

and that thread has links to his website.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 PM
смерть на дальнем расстоя

Thanked 6,978 Times in 2,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfountain2 View Post
HAve you been to the Doctor? Not any doctor.... the survival doctor.

He posts right here on the forum and has his own site where he talks about stuff like this... the email he sent this morning was about 9 steps that could save your life if you (or a loved one) have an asthma attack and have no inhaler.

You should susbscribe to his emails. He has a thread here... http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=211047

and that thread has links to his website.
You never cease to amaze mf jf. You are a walking talking wealth of info. Job well done sir.

HH54r
The Following User Says Thank You to Hard Hittin 54r For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Oath Keeper

Thanked 1,446 Times in 702 Posts

It's should go cloudy when bad
Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 AM
Prov 3:18

Thanked 1,741 Times in 990 Posts

Another option would be to use it now and replace it with the albuterol you are currently buying. This would allow you to test the potency while you have the new stuff available and if you feel it is adequate at the end of the box you would have a supply of in date meds for emergencies.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfirebalrog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,184 Times in 1,150 Posts

I hate to be a negative nelly -- I have asthma and find that my inhalers and/or nebulizer solutions lose effectiveness after about 6 months past expiration.

However the side effects (racing heartbeat, anxiety, insomnia etc.) are still just as present.

I store my medications at room temperature.

Why don't I get better results like some of you are describing?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:55 AM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,321 Times in 6,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaynaGirl View Post
I hate to be a negative nelly -- I have asthma and find that my inhalers and/or nebulizer solutions lose effectiveness after about 6 months past expiration.

However the side effects (racing heartbeat, anxiety, insomnia etc.) are still just as present.

Some of it has to do with the severity of your asthma and the maintenance meds you are on other than albuterol. If you tend to use the neb or inhalers often they tend to not work as well in general and you should talk to your provider as your asthma is not really being managed well.

Welcome to reality......It's not immigration it's an invasion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,167 Times in 2,472 Posts

I am currently taking albuterol for bronchitis... I just did some research..

albuterol will retain 90% of its effectiveness even after 5 years past expiration

albuterol sulfate has no negative side effective for expired use (accept lower effectiveness)

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5730580_si...lbuterol_.html
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM
Medic Shawn

albuterol can not be stored in sunlight either
Old 05-11-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaynaGirl View Post

This could also be due to the fact that it is more likely the propellant that is in your inhaler is failing and not the actual medication. The fact that you get the typical beta-adrenergic side effects of albuterol indicate that the albuterol that is being absorbed, most likely in your mouth and oral passage is fine. But the propellant is no longer functioning to a capacity that allows it to deliver the med into the branches of your airway where it can provide the bronchodilatory effects that you actually need.

Think about the fact that albuterol can sit in a pillow pack for years before being used in a nebulizer. But the same albuterol in an MDI has a much shorter shelf life. It is not likely that the two albuterols have such varying chemical or physical properties to create the disparity. It is much more likely that the cause is somewhere in the different things that the MDI albuterol has been coupled with.
The Following User Says Thank You to txmikenlisa1 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Trapper

I'm just throwing this out there. So anyone in the EMS or Med professions could/should really give some feed back. We give Magnesium sulfate for severe resperatory probs including asthma. Generally we give 2gm in a bag of 250 pushed over 2 min. Mag is a smooth muscle relaxer and helps with the broncial muscles involved. We push Mag for eclamptic patients, I did some research on this, all be it was on herbalist sites, for extreeme menstrual cramps for my daughter. It worked. I wonder if it could be give in small doses like 250 to 500 gm tabs as a preventative, maybe to reduce the chance of a severe athma attack, if not to control it.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Medic Shawn

be careful giving mag sulfate....many people underplay the risk of Hypermagnesemia....as with all electrolytes it can be deadly in high levels....it starts out as nausea, vomiting, and dizziness but leads to hypotension, bradycardia and finally complete heart block then cardiac arrest. in the civilized world all is good cause we can get lab values but in a shtf situation you could end up killing someone if your not careful.....mag sulfate should be your last resort....also to make it a little more comfortable for your patient try 2 gm in 100ml of d5 over 10 minutes.....wont burn as bad but will work just as well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scon86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scon86 View Post
be careful giving mag sulfate....many people underplay the risk of Hypermagnesemia....as with all electrolytes it can be deadly in high levels....it starts out as nausea, vomiting, and dizziness but leads to hypotension, bradycardia and finally complete heart block then cardiac arrest. in the civilized world all is good cause we can get lab values but in a shtf situation you could end up killing someone if your not careful.....mag sulfate should be your last resort....also to make it a little more comfortable for your patient try 2 gm in 100ml of d5 over 10 minutes.....wont burn as bad but will work just as well
Your right. I started doing some research on it. Most people don't get enough mag in there diets. I typed in magnesium asthma in the Google and came up with some pretty good articles. The one that takes you to livestrong.com had additional links to other articles. Some of them had shown a direct corrilation between mag deficiency and asthma, but like you said, mag is a major player in cell function and could cause dysrythmias either in hypo or hypermag. The d5 is a good idea too. I know , even though it isn't protocol, you can use the glycogen as a relaxer too. But definetly need to do your research on this. I love alternative meds as oppose rx.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:10 PM
Truth...is self-sustained

Quote:
Originally Posted by exetermedic101 View Post
I'm just throwing this out there. So anyone in the EMS or Med professions could/should really give some feed back. We give Magnesium sulfate for severe resperatory probs including asthma. Generally we give 2gm in a bag of 250 pushed over 2 min.
In critical care medicine, we only give Mag IV. "Conventional nursing wisdom" in my unit is that oral mag is not as bio available. Perhaps this is because many medications that we take through the digestive system must be processed through the liver prior to reaching the site of action, also known as the "fist pass effect." Also of note, oral magnesium is a laxative: magnesium citrate. Diarrhea will wreak havoc on all your fluid and electrolyte balance. That being said, we do give IV mag to our pre-term labor patients to stop uterine contractions.
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW*RN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 12:44 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW*RN View Post
In critical care medicine, we only give Mag IV. "Conventional nursing wisdom" in my unit is that oral mag is not as bio available. Perhaps this is because many medications that we take through the digestive system must be processed through the liver prior to reaching the site of action, also known as the "fist pass effect." Also of note, oral magnesium is a laxative: magnesium citrate. Diarrhea will wreak havoc on all your fluid and electrolyte balance. That being said, we do give IV mag to our pre-term labor patients to stop uterine contractions.
Yes as I stated, we normally give these IV for those reasons. But in small doses before the event, for my daughter, it has worked wonders. The first pass does process a lot out of anything PO route, and as medical, not herbalist, research showed, most of us live in a magnesium deprived state. And that same research showed a correlation with asthma sufferers. I know in the medical profession Big Pharma is the top dog and the end all be all to all medical treatments. The sad fact is most of what Big Pharma kicks out, oddly enough, causes more need for more Big Pharmacy solutions. And a lot of what they produce is stolen, and very poorly copied, from natural sources. I'm not saying there is no need for Western medical solutions, but they are very overused, and to a lot of detriment in some cases. Anyway back to the original question, I have used 3 yr old albuterol, both the phishes and the multi-dose bottle when I had a severe chest cold as well as bronchitis with excellent results. I have no doubt that a lot depends on how much tolerance has been built up by the pt with the asthma, but as mentioned before anything is better than nothing.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:52 PM
The man in the shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by exetermedic101 View Post
I'm just throwing this out there. So anyone in the EMS or Med professions could/should really give some feed back.
I suspect that RESPONSIBLE people in the medical profession aren't going to touch this thread. I'm not passing judgement on the threads merits, but imagine if I was a Doctor and I suggested that it is OK to stockpile prescription asthma stimulants past their expiration date, then someone died from a heart condition after using those meds. It's not completely outside the realm of possibility that I'd be tracked down and face at least a heavy lawsuit, or at worst losing my medical license. Thus is the world we live in.
The Following User Says Thank You to tempest766 For This Useful Post: