Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Primitive Weapons, Bows and Crossbows
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-03-2012, 01:04 PM

Default Numb fingertip for 48 hours after my first archery lesson

Advertise Here

I want to learn archery, so a couple of days ago I had my first lesson. It was only one hour and my middle fingertip has been numb now for 48 hours and I don't know when or if feeling will come back. I'm definitely concerned and bummed....thinking that maybe I won't be able to shoot at all.

I should note that I have issues with numbness periodically in that hand but feeling ALWAYS immediately comes back after shaking it. This is the first time that I have had constant numbness for days.

I'm wondering....is numbness at all common when starting out? Did I do something wrong? Will the feeling come back in my finger? Will I be able to pursue archery?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,310 Times in 2,075 Posts

Get a trigger release.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cobra-Arch...i_sku=17284225
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 01:08 PM

If I decided to get a compound bow, then I will. But, I'm not sure yet. I may want a recurve bow. There aren't mechanical releases for recurves, are there?

That is...if I can continue with archery.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,310 Times in 2,075 Posts

The trigger release I linked should be able to be used with any bow.
The Following User Says Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Shadow

use a heavy glove, I have one that I soaked the tips with superglue to stiffen it a bit. Also when I am going to be shooting for several hours in tournaments I coat my 3 finger tips with superglue. Got one heck of a callous built up by the end of summer but bit early on in the spring I use the superglue.

You can do nerve damage if you do not use a glove untill you get used to it. The current issue should go away slowly if you do not continue to do anymore damage. USE a glove, use superglue, build up to it slowly but never quit.

Should be using 3 fingers and the 3rd one is usually the one that has more issues, check your release better, get closer to the tip and line up finger tips on the string evenly. My string rests just slightly forward of the middle of the finger pad on all 3 fingers. Even using a glove you can tell I am an archer by looking at the callouses on my fingers.

Some girls in our group use very heavy finger tabs to avoid this happening along with lighter bows.
The Following User Says Thank You to mmunds For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 01:03 AM
Prepared

Use a finger tab. Shoot with 3 fingers.

Pressure points should be more evenly dispersed with shooting 3 fingers and with a tab (a tab is typically a piece a tan'd hide with a rubber matching piece under it then a leather backing).....this promotes a much better release as the string will "slide" unobstructed off the tan's hide verses hanging up on your middle finger.

Hands/Fingers falling asleep:

First, I shoot my bows a lot, I play the guitar, I fish a lot......I have a herniated disc in my neck/spine.....the herniation pinches the nerves running down my arms to my hands....Most time it takes awhile and constantly stopping, wringing and shaking hands after they fall asleep a few times before it goes away for the day.......so with all of this said have you ever had your spine looked at? Especially in the neck region? I never knew I had a herniated disc until I thought I was having a heart attack and it wasn't so I went for all the testing I could.....found out that I had "gerd" (extreme heart burn/acid reflux) that would shut off my larynx was the problem but found the herniated disc in an MRI.

Shooting a bow shouldn't cause any pain if you are doing it correctly.....wear a tab or get you a "3 fingered archers glove".

Oh and since you are a noob, wear a long sleeve shirt or an arm guard as you will get arm rash....haha.....that comes from either being a newb or your bow does not fit you.....if you have big forearms do not extend your arm out to a locked elbow...this turns the forearm in and the string will take the hide off when it hits, at best you only will get bruised badly!

Good Luck!

Oldhat
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldhat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 05:16 PM

Well, it's been a week and day now since my first and only practice shooting and my middle finger is STILL just as numb!

I am going to my chiropractor on Friday and am now considering going to a hand surgeon for an eval. I had a ganglion cyst surgery on my other wrist a long time ago and I think I have one on this wrist....maybe carpal tunnel...? Not sure.

Any archers out there who have had carpal tunnel and/or ganglion cysts? Have you had surgery or are you able to shoot in spite of these problems?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,446 Posts

Give it time, the feeling will come back. Back when I was shooting bows semi-regularly may fingers stayed numb. Truthfully, after 3 months I didnt even notice anymore and didnt even know when the feeling did finally return, but it was a couple of months. Thats been several years ago and I havent had a minutes issue with it since I quit shooting bows.

Trigger releases are cheap in comparison to a bow. If you do plan to continue training on a regular basis, regardless of WHAT kind of bow youre shooting or what you end up buying, and you dont want to deal with the numb fingers then I suggest getting one. Its a problem that you will continue to experience if you shoot on any kind of regular basis. If its an issue that really concerns you or has an impact on your life then why continue basically punish yourself? Just my opinion in the matter, personally I never liked the feel of trigger releases but didnt have an issue with having numb fingers so I didnt use them, even when shooting my old 70# bow.

As far as the other issues, Ive never had CTS but I do have a ganglion cyst that occasionally flares up on my draw wrist but it never affected my shooting. Of course, it only flares when Im PUSHING on it (shoveling, etc)bb, being that its on my DRAW arm it never bothered me. If anything it helped remind me to keep my wrist straight to avoid the pain of curling my wrist- which just happened to throw my shots off.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLICK75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Trapper

I shoot a compound with fingers several hundred times a week, all year long. I've had what you're talking about and it does go away after awhile even if you keep shooting. It happens to all finger shooters and is just part of the game. Also, the more you shoot, the more your fingers seem to be able to resist the numbing/tingling.

If you aren't using anything, I also would recommend some type of finger protection (tab or glove). The one I use and recommend for anyone shooting a higher draw weight is the Super Glove by Alaska Bowhunter Supply. It has cordovan tips which are tough as nails and really protect your fingers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supermag For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Eaglescout for Life

Thanked 5,124 Times in 1,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. 1:3 View Post
I want to learn archery, so a couple of days ago I had my first lesson. It was only one hour and my middle fingertip has been numb now for 48 hours and I don't know when or if feeling will come back. I'm definitely concerned and bummed....thinking that maybe I won't be able to shoot at all.

I should note that I have issues with numbness periodically in that hand but feeling ALWAYS immediately comes back after shaking it. This is the first time that I have had constant numbness for days.

I'm wondering....is numbness at all common when starting out? Did I do something wrong? Will the feeling come back in my finger? Will I be able to pursue archery?
My finger was numb for 3 days after I spent most of the day using cans of spray paint. get a release like others have said, but its nothing to worry about