Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Standing With Israel

Thanked 9,198 Times in 3,100 Posts
Default Review of the Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro for CC

Advertise Here

I continue to see posts about what is the minimum caliber and capacity for conceal carry, with people thinking that the threat will be eliminated after 3 shots, or with a .22, or other light round. I had made a version of the following post in reply to someone asking what we'd recommend for conceal carry, and decided to make this a review of what I now carry.

I switched from one of those light powered rounds, 380acp, and went to 45acp years ago due to a multiple threat situation::

I really liked carrying a Walther PPKS. It fit in my hand perfectly and it was small - nice for CC - everyone that shot it was also impressed, but I sold it for two reasons. It was too underpowered with 380acp and I was not happy with only 6 + 1 rounds of firepower before having to reload.

What finally made me upgrade my CC weapon was I found myself in a bad situation with the possibility of multiple attackers and realized this gun would not do the job with 7 rounds of 380acp self defense ammo. This was in a hotel parking lot at night where there shouldn't have been any issues while on vacation with my wife.

My goal was to go with a 45acp, high capacity, small frame weapon, similar in size and fit as the Walther and for a good price if possible. It turned out to be about an even trade.

The gun I now carry came with a spare magazine and is the same size when laid on top of a Walther, but is a little fatter, and heavier when loaded. It is the sub-compact Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro. With the double stack mag, I now carry 10 + 1 rounds of 45acp, a huge improvement in fight ending stopping power without over penetration.

The size is right, I don't like a full frame gun for carry.

It only weighs 22.2 oz unloaded, Polymer/Steel, 3.25" Barrel, DA/SA, a mini-rail, unlimited lifetime free repair warranty, and is very safe to carry with one in the chamber - Firing Pin Block, Manual Safety, Trigger Block. First shot is DA and then goes to SA for the rest. If you have a light strike on the primer and the round doesn't fire, the gun reverts to DA for a quick trigger pull and re-strike, although I've never had it happen with this gun using various types of ammo.

As for anyone who questions carrying the PT145 loaded with one in the chamber read this discussion::

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/mi...-question.html

This is a CQ self defense weapon, not a long range shooter. Recoil is not bad at all due to the dual-recoil spring and in fact feels less than the notorious Walther PPK.

It took some tweaking to get the bugs out, Taurus is famous for this but it was well worth it. (for any Taurus hating gun elitist, I have a new S&W revolver costing twice as much that needs tweaking right out of the box . . .) The gun now goes boom every trigger pull with zero issues and I have around 1500 rounds through mine. For the low price of around $350 you get a light weight, small size, conceal carry, high capacity, threat stopper.

Here is a very good review with photos comparing it to a 9mm Kel-Tec P11, this is the version of my PT145::

http://mouseguns.com/ratguns/pt145/pt145.htm

His range report::

http://mouseguns.com/ratguns/pt145/rangerep.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Lono For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Hunter

Pick up a 24/7 12 round 45 mag to have when you're not concealing. Makes the 145 feel like a totally different gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ritepath For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM
Prepared

My terrible experience with This handgun and their customer "support"

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...71#post4063271

I'm sure the Brazilians can make a good gun. But I would carry a sharp stick before I took the one I had out for CC.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 18,886 Times in 6,798 Posts

Have had one for several years works fine no major problems. Did have one occasion when it did not like my reloads but think that was my fault.
I did replace the front sight with a Wilson Combat 1911 SNAG-FREE FRONT SIGHTS, made a big difference in low light.
it's a bit smaller than my 45 Glock mod 30
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Member - it's a euphemism

I personally carry the PT111. Basically, the 9mm version of this gun. I love it. Have not had a single problem. Not a one. I have run Winchester, Federal, TulAmmo, and have never once had a failure.
I even find that it is fun to take to the range. Not that I dislike my Springfield 1911, but I have far more issues there (magazine related) than with my Taurus.
The one time that it came in handy, it turned out that caliber was no issue. They just saw I had it, and they took off.
The way I see it, you have two camps when it comes to anything. The [insert category/brand here] snobs, and those who don't care, as long as it works. The Taurus fit the bill for me to carry. Most comfortable in my hand, besides the 1911 so it is the gun for me. If you are not brand loyal, and are looking for a good carry weapon, check this one out.
One thing some may complain about though is the long trigger pull. For me, I like it. A little added insurance if I ever pull it, so that I do not fire it accidentally in the heat of the moment. Even so, I find that it is not so bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to cragmor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Hunter

Almost bought one of these yesterday still debating between it and the mp in .40
Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,505 Times in 1,433 Posts

Nothing wrong with your choice, or with Taurus in general.
Also, sound reasoning for the caliber change, can't argue with 45!
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmedman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Getting there....

I owned a PT-111 Millennium Pro in 9mm and loved it. Great shooting, really good trigger, and great price. I bartered it off for some legal work, but otherwise, I'd still have it.
The Following User Says Thank You to solinvictus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 AM
Prepared

I suppose to be fair I should say that my mother has had a 9m version and not had a single problem for 2 years.
The Following User Says Thank You to IceBerg1163 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Standing With Israel

Thanked 9,198 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBerg1163 View Post
My terrible experience with This handgun and their customer "support"

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...71#post4063271

I'm sure the Brazilians can make a good gun. But I would carry a sharp stick before I took the one I had out for CC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBerg1163 View Post
I suppose to be fair I should say that my mother has had a 9m version and not had a single problem for 2 years.
That is how the Taurus company is, it's either good or bad with them. I did a lot of research into them and read all the reviews on boards like this before buying. I liked the gun too much vs others not to buy it, knowing the gun might need work and that Taurus had almost non existent customer service. I was able to get the bugs out locally so I didn't have to deal with them.

It's been a good carry gun, a lot of stopping power in a small package. Glad I bought it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lono For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Hiker

So about that firearm manufacturer...

Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 PM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,450 Times in 667 Posts

Personally I love my Taurus 709 Slim in fact I like so much I bought one for my wife also , over 1600 rounds and it works just fine. I also have a TCP and I had a 24/7 Pro that was 17 + 1. Maybe I have just been lucky but four of them and never a major problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to wchancey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,039 Posts

I have one and hate the thing, it does feel great in your hand and 10+1 in 45 with such a small frame is a huge win......BUT.........the stupid mag will not stay in period no matter what. If a slight breeze blows against the mag release it will drop the mag. When I did try to carry it I would always find that the mag was released when I went to take the gun off. I have had a new mag release on order for 4 months now does their CS suck? Id say so called them emailed them I will never buy another product from Taurus ever again.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:46 PM

Smile dropped mags

I recently purchased a Taurus Millennium PT-140. I initially experienced some dropped mag issues also. The mag release is a bit to sensitive, and I discovered my grip would slightly touch the release when firing, causing the mag to release and not allow the next round to feed. It never completely dropped because my little finger rests beneath. I adjusted my grip profile so that my thumb rests below and not over the release button. This seemed to solve the issue for me. I have not inadvertently released a mag since. I do wish it wasn't so sensitive though. Has anybody else had this problem? Can it be solved with a stiffer spring or mod to the catch? Otherwise, I love this little 40 for CC. Over 500 rds so far and not a failure of any kind.
The Following User Says Thank You to richthib44 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2013, 11:23 AM

I own a PT-111 and love it I have not had a single problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to TX-Stephen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 PM
Target Shooter

I recently picked up a PT-145 and LOVE it!
It's compact, is high-capacity for the caliber & there's no arguing with the stopping power of the .45 ACP.

I've owned a 9mm PT-99, an enhanced version of the 92, for many years now & it's always been rock-solid reliable.
I have no doubt whatsoever that my PT-145 will follow suit.

The one & only glitch with it was that while testing out IWB holsters at the gun show where I purchased it, I dropped the security key at one of the vendor tables & lost it.
I called Taurus' customer service & they got one out to me within two days.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 8,628 Times in 2,890 Posts

I've heard bad reviews on this pistol, but I love mine. It's a great gun for the price and a good weapon to keep concealed on the person or in the car. If you have larger hands, get the extended clip, otherwise you'll be shooting with your pinky hanging off the bottom. You'll read about more good experiences than bad and they don't have bad customer service, they have the same turn-around as anyone else when it comes to sending a firearm back for service... a couple months. Also, keep in mind that Taurus owns Rossi, Braztech as well as a few others, so it's not just Taurus they are supporting.
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 11:06 AM

Some years back I bought the same pistol at the suggestion of my favorite gunshop owner. It was the first Taurus I ever bought. I went in looking for an all metal gun, preferably a 'Warthog'. For carry under work clothes (I wear various types of coveralls), it was to replace my 1911 (I have three of those and love them) as a carry weapon. That make or that model were not on my list. $309.00. I decided to listen to him since he is usually worth listening to. He took it apart at the counter and showed me how simple it was. My first striker fired pistol.

Lou said "when you told me you would like a semi that was more revolver, I thought of this". It feels right at home and for reasons posted already it is as safe as any of my wheel guns which are ready to do business as soon as your finger is ready.

I don't particularly like shooting it. My son shoots multiple times a week and when we go out, he makes sure I run a magazine or two through that one too. He is right of course. It isn't much satisfaction at the range though. Over a thousand rounds through it and it even shot some 45 gap that we tried in it. It takes hollow points way better than my son's xd will. Our reloads too. It can sit in my pickup for days during freezes and thaws and you can take it and empty it without a jam. Ever. I don't know how you make one jam in fact. It is close to just being a tool for me.

All that said and with all respect to the original poster I probably have my 380 on me more. It constantly rides in an ankle holster. The 380 and the holster were presents from my son after hearing about me being on the ground working when I was approached by three men in an alley wanting money. (They didn't get it, but my too bulky for the job I was doing Taurus was on the doghouse in my pump truck.) So he added that 380 and made sure it was placed on me where it was easy to get to when I was on the ground as I often am during work.

Thanks for listening to a new guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ossagp For This Useful Post: