Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Which name brand gun? Please specify caliber.
Glock 120 29.63%
Springfield XD 82 20.25%
1911 100 24.69%
Other 103 25.43%
Voters: 405. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-17-2008, 04:59 PM

Advertise Here

I love my Beretta 96! Except for this post, it seems it's always left out of the "what should I get discussions" and I can never figure out why!! It's rock solid dependable. While using it in steel shoots and general practice I have never ever had a failed to fire or a stoppage of any kind. I often though that I would want my S&W 686 for any critical situation simply because of its dependability but I would not hesitate one bit to use the Beretta in a "tense" situation.

I also bought a Kel-tec sub2000 that uses my Beretta mags. I had to send it back to the factory twice for feed problems. I also found that it had a somewhat tight chamber. Turns out the Dillon dies I had been using in a 650XL had a slight taper to help alignment in the progressive press. Seems I had to adjust the die a little farther than usual to satisfy the Sub2000. The Beretta though ate up everything ever fed to it.

If you handload ( I load for everything I shoot) the 40 S&W can often be hard to find brass for. Since it's used a lot by law enforcement the brass seems to disappear rather quickly. I had a local Gander Mountain that was out of 40 brass for years even though they always had a bin dedicated for it. When I asked the manager why they never had 40 brass he told me that it was always immediately sent to some law enforcement customers as soon as it arrived. I also found out that some local gun ranges had a couple of days a month closed to the public and open only for law enforcement. Turns out if you could get out there after the LE's had been there you could get all the 40 brass you'd ever need!

Anyway, that's my 0.02 cents! As I said I love my Beretta!!

Rick
Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM

Default Kahr TP-45

Kahr Tp-45 smallest, flattest 4" .45 around with 7+1 rounds. I can shoot 1" groups off hand at 15 yards all day. To be even more concealed I cut down the grip to the 6 round mag length and funneled the mag well. Thats 6+1 and still carry the 7 round spares.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine_wannabe View Post
I'm looking for a pistol in 9mm, 45 ACP, or 40mm which caliber should I get in which name brand gun, Glock, Springfield XD, or a 1911?
Well, first you're not going to find a 40mm pistol. That'd be a .40 caliber (.4 inches) S&W round you're talking about.

The .40 is a good bullet that has become almost the standard for law enforcement in the U.S. because you get the magazine capacity of a 9mm and a closer lethality to that of the .45 ACP round. The first pistol I ever bought was a .40 Glock 23, and it's a fine weapon. Don't doubt that. I used it for work and later was issued the larger .40 Glock 22 which is a tac driver. I never qualified less than expert with the G22. I have recently become more aware of under-penetration by .40 rounds, and this is research I will continue to engage in. However, for your own concealed carry and "fun shooting" I recommed a .40.

I don't give a diddly about 9mm anything so.... pooey.

The .45 ACP (automatic Colt pistol) round is the best, man-killing pistol cartridge around. Some eyebrows probably raised from my stating that, but it's true. If you want a self-defense weapon I can talk nothing but good about this caliber. Sadly, most of the weapons that fire it are a bit large and heavy. Some have substantial recoil. That'll depend on the weight of the weapon and gas operation. Four months ago my agency switched from a .40 Glock to a .45 Glock 21sf which is a smaller framed Glock 21, i.e. it has a more ergonomic grip without losing magazine capacity of 13 rounds. It's a hand cannon, but due to weapon weight there is little perceived recoil so one is able to quickly realing the sights of the weapon and continue firing accurately. It is also a tac driver, and I've qualified nothing but expert with it. The popular 1911 frames in a .45 design will have more recoil. Another drawback of .45's is magazine capacity. To get a concealable gun you have to give up some bullets.

Tell us what you want the pistol for, and if you'll be carrying it concealed tell us how you plan to do so and what you'll be wearing. Then I'm sure collectively we can spout off 20 or so pistols for you. I didn't read every reply to the original post so you may have already mentioned all this and if you did I apologize.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:22 PM

I agree that you're going to get a multitude of answers because each individual has their own preferences. In the Marine Corps I was a Primary Marksmanship Instructor and Small Arms Weapons Instructor, and I've also owned dozens of guns. I think it all just depends on you. I just sold my Glock 27 (subcompact .40) and carried it daily for a few years. I've shot a few of the XD's and their pretty cool too, but I always come back to the 1911. I always seem to find "flaws" or complaints about other pistols. I carry a Springfield Armory Parkerized Loaded .45 and also have a Springfield Armory Stainless Loaded 9mm. The 9mm is fun to shoot and rounds are cheaper, but IMHO, you can't beat the stopping power of the .45 and the accuracy out of the box with a 1911.

I'm a Fraud Investigator and work with local, state and federal law enforcement daily and I don't know many people (civilians or law enforcement) that carry 9mm anymore. Too many horror stories of suspects not stopping. However, the great thing about the 9mm, especially in the XD is capacity. It's all about your preference.

I can also tell you that my subcompact Glock 27 had more recoil than my full size .45 and it's easier to keep the .45 on target, and it also gives tighter groups. I've owned Sig Sauers (220 .45 & 239 .40) and the 220 is large and bulky making it harder to conceal for the CHL holders. I'm 5'9" 185 and my best friend is 6'3 250 and he doesn't even carry his 220, and either carries his Glock 27 or his new Ruger LCP .380. The 239 was nice but again, not as accurate as the 1911.

The best thing you can do is simply hold and shoot each weapon that you are considering before you drop coin on anything. You'll probably be like most of us and like several different weapons.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas_Ranger View Post

The .45 ACP (automatic Colt pistol) round is the best, man-killing pistol cartridge around.
there are plenty of documented cases of police shooting drugged up criminals over 10 times with 9mm and the person is still standing. for self-defense, you really have to get a .45

the only think i would take over my .45 is a 44mag but those aren't as easy to carry around
Old 09-24-2008, 04:31 PM

While I voted for the Springfield XD, I would also recommend you look at the FNP-45 from FN. Made in the good old USA and is one heck of a handgun. I have been very pleased with mine and the 1911 Springfield is wondering if I have forgotten it in the range box.

The XD was a very close second for me when choosing a 2nd 45 for the home battery. The FN's second strike ability with an external hammer won out.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:53 PM

After buying my 1911A1 I will have a hard time go back to any other type of pistol. Shoots nice and clean, and a .45 apc is a great round. If you hit what your shooting at then 7+1 is enough. I keep it behind the counter at my store, sits next to me by my chair, and i go to sleep with it by my side.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Simple Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo JohnJ View Post
there are plenty of documented cases of police shooting drugged up criminals over 10 times with 9mm and the person is still standing. for self-defense, you really have to get a .45

the only think i would take over my .45 is a 44mag but those aren't as easy to carry around
Please, link a reference to that story. Though I doubt you'll be able to, its the same BS that has been floating around for years. People just talking out their arss.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:26 AM

if u had the money id tell u to get a beretta inox 96FS .40s&w or the beretta cougar, or beretta combat 92FS. bot if u want a 45 get a colt http://www.ironfoot.co.uk/shop/image...government.jpg
Old 09-25-2008, 04:27 AM

the link i gave u is a pic of a government model
Old 09-25-2008, 08:31 PM

Default H&K

If you don't mind the price a USP .45 or .40 is hard to beat.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:57 AM
Target Shooter

Default Glock

im a big 1911 fan but im not going to hual my nice 1911 around all the time and get it dirty.... i have 2 glocks (G21SF and G19) they are the best but the G19 will jam if limp handed the G21 will not...
Old 09-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Prepared

Glock is the way to go
Old 09-30-2008, 02:42 AM

rugger p89-dc i keep at the house. Just bought a taurus pt111 pro for ccw. the pt111 kicks much harder than i thought it would, still very good ccw pistol for size and money
Old 09-30-2008, 07:30 PM

While I have been a lifelong 1911 fan, last year I purchased a HK P7 9mm. for those unfamiliar with these pistols, do a google search.
It is by far the MOST accurate, BEST BUILT (like a tank!), MOST concealable, and SAFEST (due to it's unique sqeeze cocking feature) pistol I have ever had the pleasure to own! They are not cheap, but well worth the money.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,517 Times in 944 Posts

With today’s technology they are all about equal. A 9mm hp will do a lot of damage. Imho a .45 is a little too big for most situations. The .40 is a nice compromise. Go to a shooting range and rent your gun of choice in each caliber and see which one you’re most comfortable with. I will tell you that a 9mm with some good hollow points will be sufficient about %90 of the time. I saw somewhere a graph of the kill ratio of each caliber. The 9mm had a %94 first kill rate, .40 was 94%, and .45 was %97. Again, imo when you look at range, weight of ammo and gun, accuracy, and price, the 9mm and .40 beat .45 hands down. At work the SORT team carries 9mm sigs. I guarantee that over %90 of the guys there are more hard core than anyone you will encounter on the streets. Most of them are really mentally insane (literally, they’d shoot themselves just to prove how tough they are). A lot of the time there doped up on something or drunk from hooch. I have yet to hear a complaint from anyone that used a 9mm in a cqc situation or at a greter distance. I know I’m probably going to get slaughtered for this but that’s my opinion and my personal findings. A lot of people with through out the more mass argument, while it is true the .45 is bigger and translates into more energy transfer and damage, the .9mm and .40 in a hp design will do about as much damage while still retaining the high fps giving it greater range and penetration whilst still being a light weight high cap. Don’t get me wrong a good .45 has its place in everybody’s collection but it’s not my ideal gun for anything but home protection where I don’t have to carry it and have plenty ammo.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,517 Times in 944 Posts

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ight=truth+9mm
Old 09-30-2008, 08:46 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prep View Post
.40's are for homos.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA................. never heard that before. My vote, XD40. Its like a Glock, only ...........better.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Ding... Thanks for playin

Thanked 7,396 Times in 2,079 Posts

.45 acp for me... That and .357
Old 10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
How's it with stains?

I understand why you're asking but don't look for specifics out of a bunch of people. You need a gun that you can shoot. Find one that fits comfortably in your hand and feels good. If possible, shoot it and pay attention to recoil. If you can't hit anything with it because it's hard to handle then it doesn't matter how much metal you're throwing. A well placed .22 will kill just as well as a .45 (an exaggeration maybe but you get the point). I'd get my wife the biggest gun I could find but her fingers would never be big enough, she'd break her wrist shooting it, and she'd never hit anything besides. So, IMHO, get something that fits you and practice, practice, practice!!!

Good luck!!