Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 08:37 AM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default Bad News for Cheese Lovers



Advertise Here

I have been watching the Farming news daily for three years and today the report for this year is Cheese production will be down to a all time historical low of under two percent of overall Dairy Sales. It currently stands at 1.48%

They say the reason is due to ever decreaseing Milk production and the Decreased herds that reflect national trends of livestock reduction due to costs.
More farmers are leaning towards Soy bean production this year over Corn Production. This means an ever higher shortage of Corn and silage for feeding the cows that produce the greatest luxury dairy item of all Time.

Because The process of making cheese requires so much milk to compress into a solid form thru culturing you can easily see why Cheese will be the last thing considered in Dairy production.

The RFD TV channel program "AGDAY" projects that everyday use type cheeses will have drastic price increases over the next two quarters with availability getting increaseing pressure. High end cheeses or Designer Cheeses as it is called in some areas will see much higher price increases.

So If you really like cheese from Cows milk, it is suggested we start putting a little more effort in stocking up on cheeses that can be frozen and/or stored in a cool dry place. I have been loading up on Freezer type hard cheese and have 4 large wheels of hard cheese that is covered in wax and can be stored in the cool part of my Pantry.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 AM
papajoscochise's Avatar
papajoscochise papajoscochise is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 3,071
Thanks: 3,043
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default

Well around here there is NO shortage of cows, cow sh!t, or cheese!

That reminds me.....have to make another run down to Cuba Cheese soon, best stuff in the east!
The Following User Says Thank You to papajoscochise For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 08:50 AM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajoscochise View Post
Well around here there is NO shortage of cows, cow sh!t, or cheese!

That reminds me.....have to make another run down to Cuba Cheese soon, best stuff in the east!
Around my area a lot of people are getting heavily into Organic Milk and Cheese production. There has been some of the first confrontations with the state government over Raw Milk sales and cheese made with Raw milk. I had some Raw milk made up with Malted chocolate and man that stuff was out of this world good. Thick and wholesome. But so far no shortages. we still need to build up our cheese production in Maine to match Vermonts rates.

I wish I would have bought a Dairy Cow like this ol'girl instead of a Beef Bull. I love my steaks, but I think I love Cheese and butter more.



This my Sir Michael
Old 04-23-2012, 08:57 AM
SLACKJAW44 SLACKJAW44 is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,507
Thanks: 2,071
Thanked 2,189 Times in 899 Posts
Default

As long as there is Velveeta, the masses will be OK.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLACKJAW44 View Post
As long as there is Velveeta, the masses will be OK.
I suppose so, just as long as oil prices don't get to high...
Old 04-23-2012, 03:01 PM
papajoscochise's Avatar
papajoscochise papajoscochise is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Western NY
Posts: 3,071
Thanks: 3,043
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman26 View Post
Around my area a lot of people are getting heavily into Organic Milk and Cheese production. There has been some of the first confrontations with the state government over Raw Milk sales and cheese made with Raw milk. I had some Raw milk made up with Malted chocolate and man that stuff was out of this world good. Thick and wholesome. But so far no shortages. we still need to build up our cheese production in Maine to match Vermonts rates.

I wish I would have bought a Dairy Cow like this ol'girl instead of a Beef Bull. I love my steaks, but I think I love Cheese and butter more.



This my Sir Michael
Woah.....thats a lotta hamburger!!!

Surprised you did not "cut" (de-nut) him for a beefer. Very nice looking bull at any rate.

And yeah, those holsteins are great producers. But I hear the Jerseys and Gurnseys are higher in butter fat production.
The Following User Says Thank You to papajoscochise For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Hopefully I can get him some girlfriends in the Fall if everything goes good. Cows are running $750.00 a pop.

And the Holstiens are nice but the organic Dairy up the road from me has Brown Swiss cows and their milk is heavy on fat, makes damn awesome ice cream and butter. They are harder to get but worth it .
Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Robphillips00 Robphillips00 is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kent county Texas
Age: 42
Posts: 325
Thanks: 82
Thanked 958 Times in 145 Posts
Default

Thats cheap for cows nowadays. Beef cattle are ridiculus.
Anyone who has bought cheeses lately knows the price is through the rough. Dairy cattle and beef cattle are at very low numbers. I'm not sure about dairy cattle but beef cattle herds are at their lowest numbers since the 1950's.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robphillips00 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
ridgerunner1965 ridgerunner1965 is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 438
Thanks: 0
Thanked 279 Times in 171 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman26 View Post
Hopefully I can get him some girlfriends in the Fall if everything goes good. Cows are running $750.00 a pop.

And the Holstiens are nice but the organic Dairy up the road from me has Brown Swiss cows and their milk is heavy on fat, makes damn awesome ice cream and butter. They are harder to get but worth it .
you dont have to have a dairy cow for milk. any old cow will do fine if it milks well enough for you to squeeze out a gallon or so a day and still have enough left over to feed its calf. or, if you could talk your neighbor out of one of those brown swiss heifers that would be outstanding tho! bred to that fine looking black bull it would produce a very nice meaty calf also!
The Following User Says Thank You to ridgerunner1965 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 07:40 PM
optimist45's Avatar
optimist45 optimist45 is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California in the Middle
Posts: 631
Thanks: 1,296
Thanked 1,093 Times in 396 Posts
Default

Frustrating thing about this is the deception. There is not a real decrease in milk production. Milk prices have been lowered via manipulation and local dairies are dumping milk because they can't sell. Believe me this truth because I live in probably one of the biggest dairy areas in the nation. Dairymen are going out business here, many going bankrupt. Heard today of one vendor that is owed $2.4 million for hay. Won't get it due to the bankruptcy.

I agree with the price of feed. Corn of course is getting ethanol subsidies and other crops have been chosen to be grown because of better profit margin.

There is more that is going with food production and manipulation but that is an entire different subject.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to optimist45 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 07:48 PM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgerunner1965 View Post
you dont have to have a dairy cow for milk. any old cow will do fine if it milks well enough for you to squeeze out a gallon or so a day and still have enough left over to feed its calf. or, if you could talk your neighbor out of one of those brown swiss heifers that would be outstanding tho! bred to that fine looking black bull it would produce a very nice meaty calf also!
The Thing is caring for the cow. I barely have enough pasture to sustain ol' Mike. Then there is the need for Grain and hay in the winter, availability is an issue here. Most of the Baleage is spoken for before it's grown, I barely squeek by keeping ol' mike fed.

I could clear more woodlot, but that takes time, and a lot of work.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:55 PM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist45 View Post
Frustrating thing about this is the deception. There is not a real decrease in milk production. Milk prices have been lowered via manipulation and local dairies are dumping milk because they can't sell. Believe me this truth because I live in probably one of the biggest dairy areas in the nation. Dairymen are going out business here, many going bankrupt. Heard today of one vendor that is owed $2.4 million for hay. Won't get it due to the bankruptcy.

I agree with the price of feed. Corn of course is getting ethanol subsidies and other crops have been chosen to be grown because of better profit margin.

There is more that is going with food production and manipulation but that is an entire different subject.
I Think the Primary reason for low profit margins in this area is the remoteness. The Tank Truck charges more per 100 pounds to pick the milk up and that cuts deep into the end payment. Most Of our area Dairies have changed over to Organic and Market their own product. But the cost is High as Hell. I was looking at the price per gallon in a store just 3.5 miles from the first store on their route and they are chargeing $6.00 a Half Gallon for Raw Milk. Chocolate halfs are $9.00 That says a lot in itself. They will deliver also once a week, but there is a minimum order amount and I'm scared to know what the Markup is for home delivery.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Creek Walker's Avatar
Creek Walker Creek Walker is online now
6 Boys and 13 Hands
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southeastern Illinois
Posts: 7,005
Thanks: 5,032
Thanked 14,543 Times in 4,309 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman26 View Post
Hopefully I can get him some girlfriends in the Fall if everything goes good. Cows are running $750.00 a pop.

And the Holstiens are nice but the organic Dairy up the road from me has Brown Swiss cows and their milk is heavy on fat, makes damn awesome ice cream and butter. They are harder to get but worth it .
For the average person Holsteins produce way too much milk. Now Brown Swiss is what I consider a perfect blend of a milk and meat cow as they tend not to be a heavy producer of milk.

We always referred to Holstein milk as Blue John milk that has little creme or milk fat.

Most of the steers we butchered were Holstein and you couldn't stick a fork in the meat to sop up the gravy.

We milked Guernsey, Jersey, Holstein and Brown Swiss.

By the way that's a nice looking bull.

We also subscribed to a dairy magazine called Hoard's Dairyman it has been around since 1885. People might find some good information here:

http://www.hoards.com/history
The Following User Says Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Beaniemaster2 Beaniemaster2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 147
Thanks: 371
Thanked 162 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman26 View Post
So If you really like cheese from Cows milk, it is suggested we start putting a little more effort in stocking up on cheeses that can be frozen and/or stored in a cool dry place. I have been loading up on Freezer type hard cheese and have 4 large wheels of hard cheese that is covered in wax and can be stored in the cool part of my Pantry.
Could you recommend a few hard cheeses that freeze well and how do you package it??? Colby-Jack is my favorite, know if this freezes well?

Also we have an Amish store near us that sells their cheese in large 5-6 lb rolls that are like vacuum packed. Is it possible to cut up a roll and wax it or is that a bad idea??? Either way I have to do something once I open it, not to mention it takes up too much room in the fridge!

I did get the supplies and instructions on making various cheese but still working on a press so haven't tryed it yet!

I can do this!!!!!!!!! (I hope...) hahahahahaha
Old 04-23-2012, 11:53 PM
cranky1950's Avatar
cranky1950 cranky1950 is offline
My Temperature is Right
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Neither here nor there
Posts: 5,578
Thanks: 1,323
Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,319 Posts
Default

I dunno cheese companies derive their income from making cheese, if they don't make cheese they don't have sales. I have trouble believing that they will stop making cheese. The cheese they make may get expensive, but they will make cheese. You said farmers are going into soy, looks like there will be plenty of velveta.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:15 AM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robphillips00 View Post
Thats cheap for cows nowadays. Beef cattle are ridiculus.
Anyone who has bought cheeses lately knows the price is through the rough. Dairy cattle and beef cattle are at very low numbers. I'm not sure about dairy cattle but beef cattle herds are at their lowest numbers since the 1950's.
Prices are way below standards here,, mostly because large livestock are rare and hard to care for. The food alone is difficult to get. Hay is scarce and mostly spoken for.

most people are getting into goats and sheep and chickens. smaller scale critters.
even the slaughterhouse is 4-1/2 hours away from here. Fuel cost is hurting every aspect.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 AM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist45 View Post
Frustrating thing about this is the deception. There is not a real decrease in milk production. Milk prices have been lowered via manipulation and local dairies are dumping milk because they can't sell. Believe me this truth because I live in probably one of the biggest dairy areas in the nation. Dairymen are going out business here, many going bankrupt. Heard today of one vendor that is owed $2.4 million for hay. Won't get it due to the bankruptcy.

I agree with the price of feed. Corn of course is getting ethanol subsidies and other crops have been chosen to be grown because of better profit margin.

There is more that is going with food production and manipulation but that is an entire different subject.
I Guess it's differant in other areas. Up here in Maine everything is based on 1960s technology and 2000s market. A wee bit Tricky.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:29 AM
paddysdaddy's Avatar
paddysdaddy paddysdaddy is offline
cannin' apricots
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 571
Thanks: 97
Thanked 765 Times in 305 Posts
Default

Our gummamints war upon raw milk is well documented and after all, it IS our natural enemy (if you're an idiot).
A local Amish family manufactures and markets cheese from raw milk and to stave off the gun-toting alphabet-soup gestapo, they age-and carefully document-the cheese for 60 days to appease Mein Fuhrer's minions.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 AM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Walker View Post
For the average person Holsteins produce way too much milk. Now Brown Swiss is what I consider a perfect blend of a milk and meat cow as they tend not to be a heavy producer of milk.

We always referred to Holstein milk as Blue John milk that has little creme or milk fat.

Most of the steers we butchered were Holstein and you couldn't stick a fork in the meat to sop up the gravy.

We milked Guernsey, Jersey, Holstein and Brown Swiss.

By the way that's a nice looking bull.

We also subscribed to a dairy magazine called Hoard's Dairyman it has been around since 1885. People might find some good information here:

http://www.hoards.com/history
I Think Brown Swiss are the way to go also.
I built a milking Parlor and Creamery for a young Amish Couple that moved here 7 years ago and they bought 7 established BS cows and they have to be the most gentile girls I have ever seen. That coming from someone that used to milk 152 Holstiens three times a day for two years while my neighbor recovered from a heart attack. Them damn cows were hard headed and some were outright Crazy. Kick happy doesn't begin to describe them. I had a hard time getting them to let their milk down and move around etc.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM
madscotsman26 madscotsman26 is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,003
Thanks: 8,147
Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaniemaster2 View Post
Could you recommend a few hard cheeses that freeze well and how do you package it??? Colby-Jack is my favorite, know if this freezes well?

Also we have an Amish store near us that sells their cheese in large 5-6 lb rolls that are like vacuum packed. Is it possible to cut up a roll and wax it or is that a bad idea??? Either way I have to do something once I open it, not to mention it takes up too much room in the fridge!

I did get the supplies and instructions on making various cheese but still working on a press so haven't tryed it yet!

I can do this!!!!!!!!! (I hope...) hahahahahaha
Any Salted Hard Cheeses do well, but the longer they are frozen the more Brittle they become and crumble easily when thawed and sliced.
I Freeze Extra sharp Cheddars and colby-jack, pepper jack, swiss, and Kerry Gold irish cheddar. All of These seem to hold their texture better. And a lot of the Amish Dairies are starting to switch over to cryopack methods now because wax is a outdated technology and cost more. But you can get some food grade wax and wrap your cheese in cheese cloth and dip in the wax yourself. But before you do ,talk to the Amish Store people and see what they recommend for long term storage of Their cheese. I still get the Amish wheel cheese and keep it on the lower shelf of my storage room. The wheel cheese is getting harder to find now because people think it's harder to divide evenly. I used to live on a large wedge of hard cheese for a week when i was younger. Looking at my Waistline, i think that Amount has increased now...
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
End of the AK era? sad day for AK lovers :( thenagantghost Military Weapons Forum 67 10-01-2011 04:54 PM
M1A/M14 Lovers must see!! davis Firearms General Discussion 6 07-09-2011 07:32 PM
For Dog Lovers.... 123Testing General Discussion 1 04-28-2009 10:37 AM
Good news for Chocolate Lovers Micah525 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 05-14-2008 12:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net