Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 04-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Prepared

Default Ruger gunsite scout scope recommendations

Advertise Here

I am looking for scope Recommendations for a Ruger gunsite scout. Brand recommendations are welcome but I really looking for the type of scope that wold best suite the forward mount.

Gettin the rifle later this week and I would like to get a optic on it as soon as possible.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated!
Old 04-22-2012, 03:52 PM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,079 Posts

Leupold IER Scout

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...8mm-ier-scout/
The Following User Says Thank You to Jida For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Tu ne cede malis.

I agree with the prior post. The Leupold is the gold standard of scout-style scopes. Bushnell, Burris, and Nikon also have single offerings, but there really is not a lot of variety unless you want to switch to handgun scopes. If you use a handgun scope, there is always the issue of whether it can hold up to the recoil of the .308 round.

My scout rifle came with a Leupold M8 which is basically a rebranded version of Leupold's FX-II IER from my understanding.

I keep hoping that Trijicon will eventually release an ACOG-style long eye-relief scope. I emailed them about 8 months ago, and they stated that others had asked about it and if interest continues from the market they will eventually send it to R&D.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Prepared

Thanks to both of you.

What is the amount of eye relief I should be looking for given the forward rail?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:14 PM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,842 Posts

Leatherwood Scout Scope was suggested to me a while back

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/761...-reticle-matte
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Tu ne cede malis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2005 View Post
What is the amount of eye relief I should be looking for given the forward rail?
That is something you will have to play around with, and the exact measurement will depend on your comfort and the brand of scope.

I like my scope mounted with the rear of the scope just in front of the ejection port. For example, my current setup has my scout scope about 5 mm in front of my ejection port.

This is not my picture, but my scope setup is the same on my Steyr (mine is in .308, not .223 like the picture). I have tried other configurations, but none were as comfortable as this. Most people I know with a scout scope set theirs up in the same location as well.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,753 Posts

IF I bought a ruger scout rifle. I woulkd not scope it. Why buy an expensive rifle with a short barrel and just put a scope on it like a regular hunting rifle.

A well setup low power scope performs just like that ruger scout. A back-up iron sight is not a bad choice and is a requirement of all non-shotgun firearms I own.

I do own a SKS that I wanted a good scope setup on. I used a scope mount that uses the rear sight as a base. The firearm has a leupold M6 scope in 4x fixed magnification. Wish I got the 2.5x instead.

I'd avoid scout scopes. There are several disadvantages optically to scout scopes. There is much less selection in scopes like that.

IF you truley want a long range rifle, I would not buy a 16" barreled .308. Scout scopes are much more prone to parallax issues too.

Another bad thing about that gun and long range shooting. You will want to leave the rear sight on it I assume. You will need to mount the scope a bit higher so your view is not blocked by the rear sight. The scope will be mounted too high and you will loose a good cheek weld onto the stock. Without being able to use your cheek to stabilize the gun accuracy will suffer significantly on offhand and those less than idela geometry field shots, like twistng or leaning over to get a clean shot while maintaining concealment or cover.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:00 PM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,972 Times in 1,842 Posts

sailhudson - have you shot the ruger scout or did you just read the stats, see a 16" barrel, and assume its not quite up to par.....
The Following User Says Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2005 View Post
I am looking for scope Recommendations for a Ruger gunsite scout. Brand recommendations are welcome but I really looking for the type of scope that wold best suite the forward mount.

Gettin the rifle later this week and I would like to get a optic on it as soon as possible.

All suggestions welcome and appreciated!
I put a bushnell elite 2x6 x 32 pistol scope on mine.it works really well.I also used quick disconnect mounts.They return to zero if you remove the scope and put it back on. A 16" barreled rifle will shot very well to 500 yards.

I know what I'm talking about,I also have a SA scout rifle that is accurate even farther than that. Don't fall for the short barrel hype that is mentioned. The Gunsite Ruger will make a fine hunting rifle.

here are the quick detachable mounts. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...duct/QRW-RINGS
Old 04-23-2012, 07:07 PM
Low Country

I think an Eotech red dot would be appropriate. Used mainly on AR15's with the same length barrel. They make a couple with reticles set up for 16" .308 ballistics. They claim 100% parallax free and unlimited eye relief. Samplelist.com has some for $399.00 right now but not sure about the price with the .308 ballistics; they may be a few dollars more? I use an Eotech like the one pictured below on my DDM4.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:25 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,978 Times in 1,689 Posts

I would first consider if you really even want optics on the rifle. You do not need them to do good work with the Ruger. The sights it has are excellent for shooting at distances under 200 yards at practical type targets.

If you do, Leupold offers 3 different Scout scopes with a variety of reticle options. The 1.5-4 with German #4 post is my favorite but I am considering the new fire dot model in 1.5-5 and 30mm tube.

If you want an ultra light model that is very fast to use, try the Burris Fast Fire II.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Hunter

I bought the Burris Scout Scope in fixed 2.75 and like it alot.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Scout Motto - Be Prepared

I have shot Eotechs and Leupolds, love em both.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Prepared

To those of you with a ruger gsr, what sling do you use / recommend?
Is there a name for those sling ports on the gsr? Do I need some sort of adapter for normal slings?
Old 05-02-2012, 02:17 PM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,079 Posts

I don't know why someone would purchase the GSR and NOT scope it (or at least put on an optic).

The costs are very high for the overall build/use/brand. If you just want to shoot irons there are solutions just as good (or better) out there for a much smaller price tag.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Michigan Gun Nut

Spend the money and get Something serious- Leupold, Burris, Nikon.

Holosights/red-dots are also good too- Aimpoint, Eotech.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jida View Post
I don't know why someone would purchase the GSR and NOT scope it (or at least put on an optic).

The costs are very high for the overall build/use/brand. If you just want to shoot irons there are solutions just as good (or better) out there for a much smaller price tag.
Not scoping it keeps the rifle rugged, lighter and easier to carry. The iron sights are adequate for the majority of field work I need it to do. I still have the option to scope it (I like my Leupold) should the need arise, perhaps for a long range match (paper or steel) but even with my scoped rifles I don't take long shots on game - too many variables to be ethical and with antler restrictions you HAVE to be sure - a 1" brow tine can result in a big fine in a spike only Elk unit.

I shoot long range steel regularly with my iron sighted leverguns (out to 1,000 yards) and I've found the GSR to be at least as capable.

Here's some video I took of my friend who decided to see if he could make a 1,000 yard shot offhand since doing it off the sticks was getting a little boring.

I did a fair amount of walking around with my GSR last year and found it to be almost as handy as a levergun out in the woods. The big advantage the GSR has over the levergun is the 308 chambering. If I could find another GSR (that I could afford) I'd have it bored out to 358 Winchester.