Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Which one?
ESEE Junglas 19 42.22%
OKC RTAK-II 11 24.44%
BK9 15 33.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Wormhole Inversion

Default ESEE Junglas vs. Ontario RTAK-II vs. BK9

Advertise Here

I'm going to be purchasing one of these once I get my tax return...

The Junglas looks amazing, but so does the RTAK-II and it is a tad thicker, and a bit longer, and at ~$70 cheaper than the Junglas, it seems like the best choice.

The BK-9 is a last-ditch option. I have a BK2 and have been more than impressed with it, but I wouldn't mind stepping up to a "better" manufacturer.

**Sheaths are not a huge issue as I'm OKAY with the "crappy" BK2 sheath.

I would like some opinions. If you vote, please post why you made your selection. This is not intended to turn into a heated debate.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,499 Times in 3,257 Posts

Better hurry as the Ontario RTAK-ll is discontinued and which would be my choice as well.

Another great knife in the same size, purpose and condition is the Kershaw Outcast Bush Knife which I'd prefer over the RTAK except it's made in PRC.

A few other large bladed camp knives to ponder over:
Ka-Bar Johnson Adventure Potbelly -- Just got one and it balances nice
Ka-Bar Johnson Adventure Baconmaker
Ka-Bar BK Combat Utility
Ka-Bar BK Combat Bowie
Ka-Bar Cutlass Machete
Ka-Bar Kukhri Machete
Ka-Bar Large Heavy Bowie
Ka-Bar Zombie Pestilence Chopper
Kershaw Camp 10 – 1077
Condor Hudson Bay Knife -- Great true classic workhorse
Condor Kumunga Knife
Condor Speed Bowie Knife -- Just handled it this weekend and I'm going to buy one
Condor Boomslang Knife
Condor Thai Enep Knife -- Use one to trim back the lilac bushes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Wormhole Inversion

Thanks for the suggestions, MOST of those I have considered previously.

I have a UC Kukri which actually does it's job well contrary to what most think. It has taken some harsh abuse and kept trucking.

I'm looking for something in-between my BK-2 and the kukri.

If I could afford, I would get all of the Kabar ZK series, but that's out of the question.

I'd like something in the 9"-11" blade length range. Not necessarily a full-fledged machete, just a large, durable fixed blade beast. High-carbon is a must, no 440 doodoo.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Wormhole Inversion

As I was dwelling on the fact that the RTAK-II is discontinued, an awesome family member asked what I might want for fathers' day and/or my birthday.

Well, lets just say I'm a lucky EFFER and have an RTAK-II on the way.

Old 04-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,499 Times in 3,257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplaguesaftermath View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, MOST of those I have considered previously.

If I could afford, I would get all of the Kabar ZK series, but that's out of the question.

I'd like something in the 9"-11" blade length range. Not necessarily a full-fledged machete, just a large, durable fixed blade beast. High-carbon is a must, no 440 doodoo.
Afford the ZK series, they're MSRP $79 ea. and under $50 street.

All the Condor line are carbon and I'd suggest the Speed Bowie and I still really like the Kershaw Outcast.

Much pricier is the Entrek Destroyer and mine is one very fine knife but $197 and Browning has a great knife called the Crowell/Barker Competition Knife but $158
The Following User Says Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Target Shooter

i voted for the rtak 2 bcuase of the thickness of the blade. I have the bk-7 and its thin. I carry ontario products for heavy use, the bk 7 is for "fighting" and cutting down littl limbs. I like OKC and i haent had a product break in the 10 years ive owned them. the esee is a good knfe there warrenty is great, bt my spend $140 + on a knife when you could get a bigger thicker heavyer knife for 100 bucks........ I dont care if they say no questions asked. why would you need a warrenty on a knife if your using them correctly. If i break a knife, its usually becuase i am not using it the way it was inteded..... not the comapny faul.... but back to the op. ontario also makes a sp-* and a sp kukri........ i would check them out to.... Phil
The Following User Says Thank You to Big philly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Wormhole Inversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
Afford the ZK series, they're MSRP $79 ea. and under $50 street.

All the Condor line are carbon and I'd suggest the Speed Bowie and I still really like the Kershaw Outcast.

Much pricier is the Entrek Destroyer and mine is one very fine knife but $197 and Browning has a great knife called the Crowell/Barker Competition Knife but $158
I've got an RTAK-II on the way now thank lord almighty. It almost ruined my day when I found that they're discontinued.

I've been considering the ZK Chopper for a while as a replacement for my UC M48 "Junkri". It and the tanto are the only ones I like though. The Warsword is fugly IMO.

The mall-ninja that runs the new local gun-store was bragging on his Kershaw Outcast the other day. It's a SWEET blade but they're apparently discontinued now as well and are pretty difficult to find.

The Condor's look like decent blades. I have been looking at their new HD Kukri. Looks like a beast if you ask me.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Target Shooter

your gonna like the speedbowie
The Following User Says Thank You to Finny For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Wormhole Inversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finny View Post
your gonna like the speedbowie
Just looked it up. Hmmmm.... I might have to pick one of those up too!!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:16 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 6,520 Times in 2,595 Posts

Check out the Buck Hoodlum. Around $115 ish.
The Following User Says Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Don't Tread On Me

I choose junglas I don't have one yet but I will very soon.I have a bk-9 and would personally pick it over the ontario.The reason I picked the junglas is you will be very hard pressed if at all able to find anything on the web that shows one broken or damaged that does'nt involve a hammer or somthing stupid like that+The sheath is simply amazing and versitile,adjustable retention,molle back,upside down carry,and acessory molle panel,I plan to get the molle panel and attatch a esee 3 to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ridgebuggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 07:27 PM
Wormhole Inversion

I wanted the Junglas extremely bad, but it costs the equivalent to a half case of 5.56.

I'm sure I'll love the RTAK-II for what I intend to use it for.

It's going to be more of a chopper. I'll save my BK2 for the batoning.

And the sheath isn't a huge issue... I have a ton of scrap cordura, leather and other odds and ends to tailor it to my liking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theplaguesaftermath For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Target Shooter

I meant to write SP-8. survival machete. It's .26 thick and wieght is almst 2 pounds with sheath.....they say bigger isnt always netter, but when it come down to a knfe vs and hatchet, I woill take the wieght of the rtak 2 anyday. i have the Ontario tak and its also a great beater knif. I have used it from skinning trees, to cracking threw concrete... Ive always wanted the rtak 2, but if i spent $100 plus than im gonna get me more Ammo. recoil springs aand extras.
The Following User Says Thank You to Big philly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 AM
Wormhole Inversion

I almost lost sleep because of the bad rep the RTAK-II has on youtube. Then again, I don't plan to do much, if any batoning with mine.

The only video I could find of the thing breaking, was CLEARLY because of misuse... The dude presented the blade into the log, and gave it a good whack (for lack of a better term) and the blade didn't progress any further into the log. INSTEAD of removing the blade, and resetting it, the idiot just kept smacking it, then the blade snapped. He wasn't even hitting the blade in the right spot. The other vids and pictures were of chipped blades. Once again; misuse.

Nutnfancy seemed to love the RTAK-II. I'll trust his opinion over someone that misused the knife and won't admit their faults.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theplaguesaftermath For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 AM
Low Country

I really like the ESEE knives. Out of the three if money were not taken into account I like the ESEE. At the same price point as the ESEE is the Benchmade Nimravus. I have a Nimravus and it is top quality. It also comes with an excellent sheath.

I know this is about $80 more than the ESEE but I really like the stuff Microtech is putting out. I have a Microtech Ultratech but I would really like to get this new fixed blade they've put out. Pic below Microtech

Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Wormhole Inversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Shot View Post
I really like the ESEE knives. Out of the three if money were not taken into account I like the ESEE. At the same price point as the ESEE is the Benchmade Nimravus. I have a Nimravus and it is top quality. It also comes with an excellent sheath.

I know this is about $80 more than the ESEE but I really like the stuff Microtech is putting out. I have a Microtech Ultratech but I would really like to get this new fixed blade they've put out. Pic below Microtech

The Nimravus is a sweet blade for sure. I'm positive it's a quality knife, but I just can't justify that price for a mid-sized blade.

The Microtech's look like nice pieces as well. There are WAY too many badarse knives being mentioned in this thread. I want them ALL!
The Following User Says Thank You to theplaguesaftermath For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 12:53 PM
I love this forum

In the same boat here. Looking at these three again and again. Would not turn any away.

The winner is the ESEE if money were no object.
Ergonomics and it's weight and thickness seem to make it the best chopper at odd angles as found in nature. Speed is important in cleaving or hacking. So is packing weight. Less knife means more ammo or food.
The sheath is a big bonus. I figure it is in the price. As are the micarta handle slabs.
Made in USA and a go ahead and use it warranty, make it a clincher.

The BKT 9 is a close second. Price makes it possible winner in my kit. It chops and then some. It is a hunk of steel and would be best in splitting and sectioning on a stump or log base. It would be a bit behind the junglass in speed and agility.
Warranty is good enough, because really how would you break one without trying? I have done concrete demolition with pry bars less stout.

The Ontario is the benchmark in the catagory. It does it all well and is made in the USA like the rest. It is hard to rank third.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:18 PM
I <3 NV

Thanked 1,798 Times in 892 Posts

I own an Ontario RAK-II I keep on a chest rig. If I had to buy another I would, but I can't imagine the other choices being bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 08:15 PM

I own the Junglas and the BK9. I chose the junglas over the rtak II because of fit and finish issues of the rtak compared to the junglas. The junglas and BK9 are two completely different blades. The BK9 is lighter and faster in the hand. The junglas is heavier and delivers much more energy when chopping. Also the micarta handles of the junglas are hands down easier to hang on to. The junglas is my vote despite it's higher cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to JelicoCat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Target Shooter

Do your self a favor and get a condor kumuga for about $30 beat hell out of it as I have done then see if you want to spend all the loot on the other blades.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finny For This Useful Post: