Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-21-2012, 05:51 PM

Default Survival Scooter???

Advertise Here

Crazy as it sounds,

Major gas crisis may be around the corner. A little Honda 49cc scooter may be the ideal BOV for a lot of urbanites. The can get over 100 mpg, a few are listed at 120-140 mpg!
25-35 mph, able to lane split, ride sidewalks, bike lanes and paths (not legally now, but...) And many states no license needed.
As gas gets more expensive we'll see more of these, cheap to run for town errands.
Smallish, but i've seen people who's plan is a backpack and hike-out, this would be tons better.

Maybe could put a "bob" bicycle trailer on one for shtf gear?

(Also saw some small engine conversions for bicycles. Some touring bikes with multiple panniers and trailers and a 2 cycle motor capable of 25 mph getting up hills many can't pedal and farther in a day than most could go.)
The Following User Says Thank You to mountainmedic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Watching, Waiting....

Thanked 2,507 Times in 830 Posts

I think it is an excellent idea to have a portable gas sipping mode of transportation along with everything else.

I also think a battery powered scooter will be good if you have a solar array to recharge the batteries in the event of a power grid melt down.

The Following User Says Thank You to Still here. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Target Shooter

IMHO, i think you would be alright on a bigger scooter, it will have to be big enough for you and your supplies and any inclines you find along the way.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,623 Times in 2,335 Posts

goped FTW. only draw back is the 2cyc but you can convert them to 4cyc with a motor swap. find one online that needs a motor replaced and then get the 4cyc
Old 04-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Recent Blog:
Target Shooter

Just bought a 125 cc , gio dirt bike .
I would be more inclined towards a dirtbike around here as we have a lot of deactivated logging roads and otherwise rough terrain to get around .
Still , I do like the concept.
Funny thing , as I was driving home from buying the bike my wife commented that if solar flares ( her pet fear , other than zombies ) mess with the computer in our pickup , the bike will still work.
The Following User Says Thank You to sortofready For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Tu ne cede malis.

I originally considered a scooter, but ultimately decided to go with a dual sport for the additional speed, handling capability, and load capacity. In addition to using a mechanical ignition, my dual sport is considerably lighter than most modern scooters on the market.

My dual sport gets about 65-75 MPG after I installed an enduro kit for highway driving and a new muffler to dampen the sound. If I were to remove the muffler and make a few adjustments, the MPG would increase to about 90 MPG at a cruising speed (40-50 mph) on the highway. With the added capabilities, I am very happy with my current fuel efficiency.
The Following User Says Thank You to DollreeMappEsq For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,198 Times in 559 Posts

As long as the bug out vehicle in question takes any form of petrol it will be a bad choice. If it gets as bad as many think it will only the military will have any access to petrol at all.

So, IMO, It's better to build your transport plans on bicycles or other human/animal powered methods of travel.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Yep here's mine.
2004 Honda Metropolitan

Other than the body work and the rear frame section they share most of their parts with the Honda Ruckus.
I am in the process if making it brake better, handle better and go a little faster.
believe it or not these things can do nearly 50mph with a few mods as long as you don't weigh 300lbs.

I would like something a little bigger and more motorcycle-like so I am probably going to finish this, sell it and get me a Sachs Madass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vwhammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 7,149 Times in 2,990 Posts

See the various threads on motorcycles.

There are all different kinds.

Here is one:

http://www.motopeds.com/

They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

The problems with most scooters is their low top speed, small diameter wheels, low ground clearance and short suspension travel (not to mention a suspension not appropriate for off-road travel).

There are motorcycles with full sized wheels, small engines and good suspensions that get just as good fuel mileage as scooters and have a much higher top speed. The speed may be necessary if you have to travel on an open road, and/or someone is chasing you to take what you have.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:44 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
See the various threads on motorcycles.

There are all different kinds.

Here is one:

http://www.motopeds.com/

They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

The problems with most scooters is their low top speed, small diameter wheels, low ground clearance and short suspension travel (not to mention a suspension not appropriate for off-road travel).

There are motorcycles with full sized wheels, small engines and good suspensions that get just as good fuel mileage as scooters and have a much higher top speed. The speed may be necessary if you have to travel on an open road, and/or someone is chasing you to take what you have.
not for 1500 bucks for just the frame or 4grand for a complete setup. id rather just buy a pit bike/dual sport
Old 04-23-2012, 03:23 AM
Survivor

BTW for those that think scooters or mopeds can get anywhere remember where these are used in mass. places where the roads are pretty poor.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:57 AM

I have an 011 Ruckus, it's fun to scoot around town but the biggest problem with a scooter as a BOV is the variable transmission (variator). A 100cc motorcycle is a much better answer.

Fun though! you feel like a little kid on a PowerWheels!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
To the surface!

Thanked 7,149 Times in 2,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Will_Survive View Post
not for 1500 bucks for just the frame or 4grand for a complete setup. id rather just buy a pit bike/dual sport
It is not a binary decision - you could buy both.

But how you spend your money is up to you. Scooters aren't cheap either.

If I wanted a really light small displacement bike that doesn't require a driver's license (the main advantage of a scooter), then something like the Motoped would probably be my choice. A pit bike is not street legal, and a dual sport is not as off-road capable and requires a license.

Fortunately I already have two motorcycles - both of which are street legal and very off-road capable - so I am not in a hurry to get a Motoped.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
It is not a binary decision - you could buy both.

But how you spend your money is up to you. Scooters aren't cheap either.

If I wanted a really light small displacement bike that doesn't require a driver's license (the main advantage of a scooter), then something like the Motoped would probably be my choice. A pit bike is not street legal, and a dual sport is not as off-road capable and requires a license.

Fortunately I already have two motorcycles - both of which are street legal and very off-road capable - so I am not in a hurry to get a Motoped.
i understand what your getting at. i just dont see spending 1500 bucks on a frame that still require a donor

for 4grand you can get this http://www.fxbikes.com/sales/

plenty of dual sports will also be perfectly fine off road. most will not truely go climbing rocks.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 11,790 Times in 4,929 Posts

I used to love my Honda Enduro off/on road bike. It was a 250 and street legal, but it could take trails just fine.

I've searched briefly and cannot find such a bike. Does anyone make a small bike for both on and off road these days? A 125 cc would be fine.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I used to love my Honda Enduro off/on road bike. It was a 250 and street legal, but it could take trails just fine.

I've searched briefly and cannot find such a bike. Does anyone make a small bike for both on and off road these days? A 125 cc would be fine.
honda still makes a dual sport. i believe they all do. ktm are cheap and popular.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 11,790 Times in 4,929 Posts

I'm not seeing any with lights and such, but thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I'm not seeing any with lights and such, but thanks!
sorry its the KTM 450 EXC

doesnt look like there is a non-chinese 125 dual sport.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,258 Times in 750 Posts

Okay, since this is the closest I found in recent, I thought I would add here. Please let me know if this is a distraction.

1) Part of my BUG OUT strategy includes a KLX250. Having read this thread, the dual sport and a 250 is a way better solution than some here have suggested. Yes it's more expensive. It doesn't have them EMP thing, but at that point, I'm thinking I'm on foot with maps anyway.

Here is but one example, which happens to be mine.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...scid=14&id=550

There are a LOT. This is smaller CC, but one of my options for bug OUT. As it gets very cold and snows here in the midwest, this may not always work.

2) I have a BOL, two different BOVs, but my Get Home Bag in my every day, is what I question. Has anyone considered toting a Off Road scooter in your Every Day car (happen to be one of my BOVs)

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CK0BEPMCMAI

Crazy idea for a GET HOME in case of a situation?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEyes View Post
Okay, since this is the closest I found in recent, I thought I would add here. Please let me know if this is a distraction.

1) Part of my BUG OUT strategy includes a KLX250. Having read this thread, the dual sport and a 250 is a way better solution than some here have suggested. Yes it's more expensive. It doesn't have them EMP thing, but at that point, I'm thinking I'm on foot with maps anyway.

Here is but one example, which happens to be mine.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Pro...scid=14&id=550

There are a LOT. This is smaller CC, but one of my options for bug OUT. As it gets very cold and snows here in the midwest, this may not always work.

2) I have a BOL, two different BOVs, but my Get Home Bag in my every day, is what I question. Has anyone considered toting a Off Road scooter in your Every Day car (happen to be one of my BOVs)

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CK0BEPMCMAI

Crazy idea for a GET HOME in case of a situation?
with the right clothing weather only is bothersome when it comes to ice and snow depth. know plenty of people who ride read round in the midwest. make sure the outer shell is wind resistant.