Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Ladies Section
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Recent Blog:
Gitter Done!

Thanked 1,793 Times in 630 Posts
Cool Don't throw away that expired canned food

Advertise Here

Without me spewing my thoughts about why you should keep every can of food that is expired and even keep stocking it, I will let you read the stories.

Both store canned food and granny's canned food has a much longer shelf life than thought.

EXTREME EXAMPLES of CANNED FOOD SHELF LIFE
http://www.foodreference.com/html/cans-extreme.html

Canned foods??? Forget everything you've been told...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2517238/posts

I do have food that expired 7 years ago still on my shelves. Keeping them for a rainy day.
Thought I would share since it might help people save a few bucks and in case if SHTF and you find a 10 year old can of peaches you know its still good if it isn't rusted through, not bulging, and doesn't smell funny when you open it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to usmountains For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 03:39 AM
Recent Blog:
Nature is My Medicine

http://www.supercan.co.za/canned-food-facts.html
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,491 Posts

I was rotating my food supplies in my pantry today. Checking the freezer supplies, dried goods, etc.

I was double checking all kinds of food for the two of us and for some donations to the homeless shelter. I am picky about dates and using something up in time or donating it in time too.

I often wonder about 'dates' on store bought canned goods.

Thanks for the post.

Catherine
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
VIP Member

I don't toss canned food unless it's dented or showing signs of botulism. I'll also toss if looking at the can gives me the creeps for any reason, ie unidentifiable dirt type seriously attached to the can. If my doubts are raised high enough, I toss. Expiration dates do not raise doubts very high, at least not for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Target Shooter

If you believe what you see on television, go by the expiration date. On March 17, 2012 your canned peaches are sweet, tasty, and wholesome. On March 18, 2012 they have instantly turned into a repulsive stinking toxic mess, one bite of which will kill you deader than dead instantly.

It must be true, they say it on national TV.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lynxx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 AM
VIP Member

Ah yes TV, that bastion of, uh, truth designed to confuse the sheeple into submission! I suggest watching only when too brain-dead to to anything else.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to citykittyatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,561 Times in 4,714 Posts

I've eaten canned food that was several years old and lived to tell about it. No way I'd throw out 'expired' food.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxHannah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,305 Times in 2,255 Posts

If I HAD to I would eat 7 year old canned food.

But, then I do not WANT to, and so I rotate! And, when the teens are no longer at home to help eat it, (no food gets expired around teens), I will probably store things like rice properly, so that I STILL do not have to eat expired food!

Because I do not want to. Instead I will properly store grains and beans and such and I will make soup from my garden.

Because I do not want to eat 7 year old soup. Nope. Not even if it is not contaminated.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,151 Times in 2,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by citykittyatheart View Post
I don't toss canned food unless it's dented or showing signs of botulism. I'll also toss if looking at the can gives me the creeps for any reason, ie unidentifiable dirt type seriously attached to the can. If my doubts are raised high enough, I toss. Expiration dates do not raise doubts very high, at least not for me.
I'm wondering what these signs are...
Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Lazy Prepper

Quote:
If I HAD to I would eat 7 year old canned food.

But, then I do not WANT to, and so I rotate! And, when the teens are no longer at home to help eat it, (no food gets expired around teens), I will probably store things like rice properly, so that I STILL do not have to eat expired food!

Because I do not want to. Instead I will properly store grains and beans and such and I will make soup from my garden.

Because I do not want to eat 7 year old soup. Nope. Not even if it is not contaminated.
Very good old common-sense. I like it. Yeah, rotate is the way to go.
Found this on the web: https://www.advnt.org/cart/products/...7B47%7Dbx.html But at this price, it makes sense only to use it in a community level to protect againt bio-terrorism.

On the other side. I think that with highly efficient modern chest freezers, maybe it's safer to invest in solar energy and frozen meats instead of canned food. Maybe I am a little partial, because other than Tuna I generally don't like canned food.

Last edited by elZ; 04-24-2012 at 05:53 PM.. Reason: had deleted some words without noticing
Old 04-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Lazy Prepper

Oh Jesus! I posted on the girls section. Please forgive-me mods. I though I had clicked on the D.I.Y Section. sorry girls!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Survivalist

Thanked 4,376 Times in 1,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
swollen can.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynxx View Post
If you believe what you see on television, go by the expiration date. On March 17, 2012 your canned peaches are sweet, tasty, and wholesome. On March 18, 2012 they have instantly turned into a repulsive stinking toxic mess, one bite of which will kill you deader than dead instantly.

It must be true, they say it on national TV.
this is the same issue going on in my household. the DAY after an item "expires", be it a can of food, box of something, a drink, it gets thrown out. no amount of convincing will help my family. i have tried endless lectures and fact throwing, still to no avail.

its quite sickening to throw out food of any type, leftovers from a meal or "expired" food. finished reading One Second After the other day and it kind of put a very...graphic picture in my head with what hungry people would do for a scrap of food.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Lazy Prepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffr View Post
this is the same issue going on in my household. the DAY after an item "expires", be it a can of food, box of something, a drink, it gets thrown out. no amount of convincing will help my family. i have tried endless lectures and fact throwing, still to no avail.

its quite sickening to throw out food of any type, leftovers from a meal or "expired" food. finished reading One Second After the other day and it kind of put a very...graphic picture in my head with what hungry people would do for a scrap of food.
Well, console yourself with the fact that the homeless dumpster drivers are getting a fairly good meal out of this waste. even if unintentionally, you are help your brothers as our Lord wished.
But, think why are you having to throw out itens, before rotating then? wouldn't be wise to keep some written cards in a rolodex to better rotate then? or are you buying things that your family doesn't like to eat?
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 PM
veritas aequitas

Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elZ View Post
Oh Jesus! I posted on the girls section. Please forgive-me mods. I though I had clicked on the D.I.Y Section. sorry girls!
Off with his head!

No worries, bro. Just keep an eye out for tender breasts and water retention. It'll be OK.
The Following User Says Thank You to siege571 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Para Bellum

Thanked 3,662 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elZ View Post
Very good old common-sense. I like it. Yeah, rotate is the way to go.
Found this on the web: https://www.advnt.org/cart/products/...7B47%7Dbx.html But at this price, it makes sense only to use it in a community level to protect againt bio-terrorism.

On the other side. I think that with highly efficient modern chest freezers, maybe it's safer to invest in solar energy and frozen meats instead of canned food. Maybe I am a little partial, because other than Tuna I generally don't like canned food.
Yeah, $245 for 10 tests kinda makes it a non item for me
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM

http://www.stilltasty.com/
Great info here !
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to steve1234 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmountains View Post
, not bulging, and doesn't smell funny when you open it.
If I had a nickle for every time I heard that...
Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Prepared

We throw out expired baby food, but that is a little different.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
Signs of botulism include a puffy can and a horrid odor when you open the can. Signs that the food may be contaminated include rusted, dented cans along with either or both of the above. Google botulism for more information.