Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Default The state of the Republic of Texas (San Angelo area)

Advertise Here

So, my job is a little unsettled right now; in fact I had thought I may move earlier this winter to Colorado, but that fell thru. I have a work prospect in the San Angelo, TX area.... Wondering if there are any issues with this area that I haven't considered? Anyone from there or around there or have experience (good or bad) with the area? I realize it is subtropical and dry.... I wonder how the water supply is? Is it possible to garden and have livestock there? Any advice is much appreciated!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:30 PM

Livestock in Texas? Are you kidding? Everybody here rides horses and owns cattle.

Seriously, it's a great place to live and work. No state income tax. I'm a native Texan and would not consider any place else, but that's the way most Texans feel. I don't live around San Angelo but it's a nice place. If you're into big city metro type culture, you probably won't like it. If you're more small town/city type, you will like it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wind Breaker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,184 Times in 795 Posts

You have to have one thing to be a Texan.

1) more guns than shoes

The Yankee Philip Sheridan once said, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell." - Philip Sheridan, major general in the Civil War and military governor of Texas and Louisiana afterwards

A man with 100,00 rounds of ammo and 300 rifles was recently sent to a mental asylum under a police mental commitment.

In California he would be called, "Mentally Ill"

In Arizona he would be called, "a Novice Prepper"

In Texas, he would be called, "Governor Elect."
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JohnWStiner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 PM

San Angelo is dry and dusty in summer but otherwise ok. Can get some bad tornados. Overall great place to live if you can handle a small town big city. Housing is real cheap. Wages tend to be low there unless you are in a skilled trade. Angelo state (now Texas tech) is a good school. South west side of town is the best area to live in if you want to be in the city. Lots of good deer hunting but they are small.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to njamma For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2012, 11:21 PM

All I can say is Texas Rocks!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TexasGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM
Trapper

If i ever live anywhere else, Tx will be my choice...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Necred For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Texas Raised

Texas is better than Nebraska. Get your ass over here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerbourne For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Cabron

Thanked 2,849 Times in 1,070 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njamma View Post
San Angelo is dry and dusty in summer but otherwise ok. Can get some bad tornados. Overall great place to live if you can handle a small town big city. Housing is real cheap. Wages tend to be low there unless you are in a skilled trade. Angelo state (now Texas tech) is a good school. South west side of town is the best area to live in if you want to be in the city. Lots of good deer hunting but they are small.
njamma is right. It can be pretty dry and dusty. When traveling from the San Antonio area to Colorado, San Angelo was were it really started to feel like desert. Just south east of there you get into the hill country. They actually have quite a bit of water between rivers and reservoirs. Watch "The Last Picture Show" but imagine more people and some low hills. That being said, I really like the area. Its like being in the middle of nowhere without really being in the middle of nowhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to guntownuncle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Recent Blog:
Texas Born & Texas Proud

Texas is a State of Mind. Texasns believe the worst part of our state is better than the best part of any other state but outsiders believe just the opposite. I have friends, co-workers and family that live in or are from Dirty SA and they love it.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Brace for impact!!

Come on down.

HuskerBill
South Texas
Old 04-17-2012, 12:48 PM
17 Oaks Ranch Tx

Thanked 4,467 Times in 1,988 Posts

We are hiring down here in Texas, its open for business and new business too. Folks are friendly, food is great, we spend more on hunting that most states spend on welfare.

on avg: 1014 folks, 7 days a week move into Texas, cause life is good

If you live outside the city we don't dial 911 (You WANNBE Raiders remember that!)

Where I live the kids say yes sir/mam, pray before a football game on Friday night.

Obammy HATES Texas

We lead the nation in wind power for electricity, solar power development (IIRC San Antonio is bringing on 450 Mega watts) and the EPA hates our guts because we develop oil, solar, wind on PRIVATE LANDS using PRIVATE $$$$.

Texas has its OWN POWER GRID, EPA HATES us

Texas is 97%+ PRIVATE lands, EPA, FEDS HATE us

If Obamy gets re elected, we are pulling out, don't need the FEDS for chit, we are the 13th largest economy in the WORLD

If you want to work, start a business, raise a family with some values, come on down, if not head to Colorado or where ever!
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SavageSun 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Brains???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSun 4x4 View Post

on avg: 1014 folks, 7 days a week move into Texas, cause life is good
Question is, how many move out daily? Seems like they come to CO to often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Always have an exit

Thanked 5,674 Times in 2,188 Posts

I have done some work off and on at Goodfellow AFB. It seems like a good town. The people are friendly enough. Walking at night seemed safe.

Couple of small lakes for recreation. If you drive to Colorado be careful, they stop a lot of vehicles and search. Apparently it is a major drug traffic route on Hwy 87.

State Hwy patrol was friendly enough, Just did not like my speeding Shook my hand and told me to have a good night and be safe. Sent me on my way with ticket.

All is good, we return the favor when Texans come up here to Colorado.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,333 Times in 6,633 Posts

Se Habla Espanol? For San Angelo you will need to, I grew up in Abilene about an hour away from there, it is brutal hot in the summer, dry and dusty, water is critically rationed sometimes by the cities.

Welcome to reality......It's not immigration it's an invasion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 02:36 PM
17 Oaks Ranch Tx

Thanked 4,467 Times in 1,988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombies View Post
Question is, how many move out daily? Seems like they come to CO to often.
1) If we take the # moving in and subtract out the deaths and those moving out, the number is somewhere in the 700's (forgot exactly)

2) Texans are the # 1 visitors to Co, we buy a ticket, ski, play in the snow, go, repeat agin that season then go home till next ski season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageSun 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 03:33 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by njamma View Post
FAIL.

San Angelo is considered to be where the climate from Central Texas meets the climate from West Texas. It does not have the dust storms that are common in the Panhandle. While it can get an occassional tornado, they are usually NOT the strength of the ones in the Panhandle or in Oklahoma. In fact, San Angelo is graded as relatively SAFE from tornados:
http://www.homefacts.com/tornadoes/T...an-Angelo.html

Angelo State is NOT Texas Tech. Texas Tech is in Lubbock, Texas. Originall called San Angelo College, it changed its name to Angelo State.

Otherwise, your post was accurate.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Kibitzer

Thanked 3,355 Times in 2,052 Posts

One year in San Angelo, the river got real low. Turned on faucet, brown water sometimes.
Put some water in baby bottle warmer and it left big brown spot afterwards.
When river is full, they had parade boats float down it, was really neat.
I thought there was more sheep than cows.
And the damn sand fleas would be bad some years.
Boy I sure loved the steak houses there, hamburger the size of a dinner plate and a steak would feed two people.
Another place had all the chicken strips and white gravy you could eat once a week?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Somewhat prepared

Default I want to switch places...

Hello,

I would like to trade places. I live somewhere near Austin.
I will take your Nebraska address.

How about it...San Angelo ...no direct experience..?

But look over the Rio Grande... when they run out of oil
then what...?

Hint: The Mexicans and Bernanke have finally forced me
to purchase my first bullets !!!

Sincerely,

ArrowToTree
Old 04-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Prepared

TX has no State income Tax.

TX has no Medicaid for adults ages 21-Nursing Home.

TX does not provide assistance to non-citizens unless the FEDS have decided we have to (of course, anchor babies get a lot of their non-citizen parents benefits they wouldn't otherwise be entitled to).

TX has many climates found around the world except Alpine. Subtropical, desert, piney woods, etc. So you can travel to many "exotic" destinations without leaving the state.

TX has about any weather phenomenon found around the world - hurricanes, tornadoes, blizzards, dust storms, fog, extreme heat, extreme cold, draught, floods. Don't like it - just wait a few minutes.

Many TX highways have 75 mph speed limits - necessary when destinations are 12 hours away within the same state!

Tx requires a photo ID to vote (at least for right now).

TX is rapidly becoming "English is the secondary language", although there is a bill proposed every year to make English the official state language. Learning Spanish would be a good idea.

TX does not put Education very high on the list of priorities.

Just some pros and cons about our great State. From Texline to Beaumont to Brownsville, (I wouldn't recommend El Paso - too much shooting from across the border into the city!) you're sure to find something you like.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXbookworm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Healthy Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWStiner View Post
You have to have one thing to be a Texan.

1) more guns than shoes

The Yankee Philip Sheridan once said, "If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell." - Philip Sheridan, major general in the Civil War and military governor of Texas and Louisiana afterwards

A man with 100,00 rounds of ammo and 300 rifles was recently sent to a mental asylum under a police mental commitment.

In California he would be called, "Mentally Ill"

In Arizona he would be called, "a Novice Prepper"

In Texas, he would be called, "Governor Elect."

You did foret to mention the ld salty Texas DPS tropper who was aksed why he carried a .45

His answer, of course "Because they don' make a .46"