Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 04-12-2012, 12:44 PM

Default How long will bottled water last?

Advertise Here

Hi I'm new to the forum and would like to start stockpiling cases of bottled water. Is this a good idea and how long do you think the water will stay good? Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Werdblue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,233 Posts

Water in and of itself does not go bad.

But it can become contaminated. Stuff can grow in it. Like viruses and cysts. These can always be removed by chemical treatment and/or the right filter

Bottled water is labeled as good for 2 years. ( May vary in some localities) I personally think it is drinkable for much longer than that, at least twice as long. In fact if stored in a dark, cool location I would expect bottled water to last as long as the bottle.

If you are in question as to the safety of any water bottled or otherwise, treat it the same way you would water gathered in the wild. Boiling is best to purify. (purify means kill or remove living things.) Bleach or calcium Hypochlorite will purify also.

A charcoal filter will take out most any kind of contaminant after the water is purified. Charcoal is mostly for chemicals and such.

Some people worry about chemicals leaching out of the plastic container into the water. The charcoal filter take that out.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ShellbackBill For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 PM

thanks Bill. So I'm thinking i'll get some cases of bottle water and some purification tablets and filter
Old 04-12-2012, 01:45 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanked 21,609 Times in 8,627 Posts

Just be sure to store your water away from harmful chemicals and fuels. Plastic is porous to a small degree and eventually outside contaminants can leach in!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rokitman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 01:50 PM
Target Shooter

I am still new to this forum, so thanks for posting this question (I was curious as well). I understand the shelf-life of bottled water, but it may be necessary to have a "back-up" cleaniong method as well. As my computer is running SO slow, any suggestions on quantities of Bleach or calcium Hypochlorite to water are correct. Also, and suggestions on a good water filter type?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM

From the FDA:

Quote:
What is the shelf life for bottled water?

Bottled water is considered to have an indefinite safety shelf life if it is produced in accordance with CGMP and quality standard regulations and is stored in an unopened, properly sealed container. Therefore, FDA does not require an expiration date for bottled water. However, long-term storage of bottled water may result in aesthetic defects, such as off-odor and taste. Bottlers may voluntarily put expiration dates on their labels.
You're doing what I do right now: grab a case of water every time I visit Costco, and throw it in basement storage. When budget allows, I'll start investing in filters and water tanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeliBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanked 21,609 Times in 8,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger2187 View Post
I am still new to this forum, so thanks for posting this question (I was curious as well). I understand the shelf-life of bottled water, but it may be necessary to have a "back-up" cleaniong method as well. As my computer is running SO slow, any suggestions on quantities of Bleach or calcium Hypochlorite to water are correct. Also, and suggestions on a good water filter type?
There are many threads covering all of your questions. At the right top of the first post in this thread is a search function. Use it or just go back through the pages on the bottom of this section. You wont go far before you find a thread answering your questions! Or just google it!
Old 04-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Target Shooter

WILCO...

I was being slightly lazy and annoyed due to my shady internet connection!
Old 04-12-2012, 02:04 PM
Prepared

Considering the earth is 2/3rds water and it hasn't gone bad in a few million years (or thousands if u take bible literally) I dont think you should worry about your bottled water as long as you dont let it get contaminated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nayr For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,234 Times in 660 Posts

Plastic leaches. I don't like chemicals in my water. I'd get a good filter and you won't need to stockpile bottled water if you have a water source nearby.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM

The containers for bottled water (such as the 2.5gal or individ 16oz from Costco) always seem to get "soft" after awhile - almost like they're losing their structural integrity. Also, I always hear not to use the opaque gallon milk jugs to store water - yet the 2.5 gals look very similar to those milk jugs. So it makes me wonder how long can they really be stored. Especially in the south where the cool temps in the garage may still reach 90+ F.

It would be best to rotate stock, but we hardly use bottled water anyways that it's a waste of money (we use city water with a Brita). Seems the better solution is to use some big 5+ gallon containers (bpa free), fill with tap water, and every six months or so use them to water the trees or top off the pool which needs to be done anyways.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Gone for Good

Thanked 4,524 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'm with you on that. We can't drink that nasty plastic bottled water. I'm so used to spring water and no chemicals & additives the thought of drinking water from plastic would be my last desparate choice.

Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwater Filters View Post
Plastic leaches. I don't like chemicals in my water. I'd get a good filter and you won't need to stockpile bottled water if you have a water source nearby.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:49 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor00 View Post
The containers for bottled water (such as the 2.5gal or individ 16oz from Costco) always seem to get "soft" after awhile - almost like they're losing their structural integrity. Also, I always hear not to use the opaque gallon milk jugs to store water - yet the 2.5 gals look very similar to those milk jugs. So it makes me wonder how long can they really be stored. Especially in the south where the cool temps in the garage may still reach 90+ F.
I'll relate my story once again.

I used to do site maintenance on battery back up systems. Add water, load testing, general checkups, installs, ect. Anyway, I started leaving those jugs of water at each site. 1 gal. containers. 6 months to a year down the road I'm noticing that some of the jugs have water missing from them. Pick one up and it's wet on the bottom. Wipe it off and wait for a leak, you never saw one. Come back two weeks later, more water under the jug. They slowly degrade and leak. I've seen this same mechanism at work on the 2.5 gal ones at home.

YMMV.
The Following User Says Thank You to 64duracraft For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Trapper

The expirations on bottled H20 are barely readable so take a Sharpie pen and write the date of expiration. I've been drinking some 6mos outside of the date and never had an issue. I store mine in a dark closet. HINT: get hold of some single half-liter bottles from the Clearance aisles. They come from 24-packs that were broken.

The dates come in handy for rotation. Once the time is up kfheep them outside to wash grease off your hands or put the water in a big cistern for watering crops.

Last edited by kturnerga; 04-13-2012 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: ick
Old 04-13-2012, 09:00 AM

I filled a 5 gallon blue container i got at walmart back in 2006. Put in the garage, at some point moved it and forgot about it. Needless to say it spent around 4 1/2 years outside next to a shed. I finally decided to check it out. Opened it and it was still filled to the top and looked clear. Didn't drink it though, dumped it out on the lawn. The container did seem a little brittle but can't blame it for how long it was out there. 4 winters with 2 feet of snow.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdblue View Post
thanks Bill. So I'm thinking i'll get some cases of bottle water and some purification tablets and filter
Also, do not stack plastic bottles directly onto concrete. Make sure you have cardboard or wood or cloth or something under it. The chemicals in the concrete can seep in through the plastic and into the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to Preacher Man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 AM
Pray For Our Republic!!

If you have the room, and the funds, 55-gallon water storage barrels are the way to go. Assuming, of course, you plan to bug in. Just last week I setup one of these...placed it on wood planks to keep it off the concrete (this is a must for reasons already mentioned), filled it, put the chemicals in for long-term storage, and threw a large towel over it. I want more water on hand, but at least it's a start and I know I have 55 gallons of drinkable water that will last at least five years. Just my two-cents worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to RevTracy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 PM
An Awesome Dude

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellbackBill
Water in and of itself does not go bad.
No you could probably store it forever if need be.... (The one natural resource that wont go bad (One of the only ones))
Old 04-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Learning All the Time

I work for one of the big two soft drink companies. Not all bottled water is the same. The big companies treat the water with a RO system, then UV sterilize it, and inject ozone. Nothing is living in the bottle.

The weak bottles are rigid because just before they are capped several drops of liquid nitrogen are injected into the bottle, the the cap is put on, and the liquid nitrogen turns to a gas pressurising the bottle. This is done so the pallets of water can be stacked.

I personally know of a pallet of water that was found in a warehouse that was 10 years old that was from the time when nobody bought bottled water. It tasted fine.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Orca For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 08:44 PM

Every time I go to the grocery store I get a two 5 gallon waters. They are about 2.20 each. I have a lot of water, worth every penny. If I don't use it for 20 years and that is all I have, I will drink it in a heartbeat.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc Ready For This Useful Post: