Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-10-2012, 07:30 AM
SEMPER FI

Default .40 Springfield XDM 3.8" or M&P Compact .40

Advertise Here

Not ready to buy just yet but i'm scouring in case I find the right deal.

I have held both weapons, we have the XDM 3.8" 9mm for my wife. I love it, great pistol.

I don;t have any experience with the M&P but I hear great things about them..

SO the question is which is better? XDM .40 Compact or the M&P .40 Compact?

Seems like the M&P is a bit cheaper. Any advice to sway my choice? I think they both look like nice weapons.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAK47 View Post
Not ready to buy just yet but i'm scouring in case I find the right deal.

I have held both weapons, we have the XDM 3.8" 9mm for my wife. I love it, great pistol.

I don;t have any experience with the M&P but I hear great things about them..

SO the question is which is better? XDM .40 Compact or the M&P .40 Compact?

Seems like the M&P is a bit cheaper. Any advice to sway my choice? I think they both look like nice weapons.
1. Learn about the different features of each weapon. Learn about magazine capacity, magazine disconnect, etc.

2. Fire both weapons at your local shooting range. A) How much effort does it take to rack the slide back? B) How do you like the feel of the slide stop? C) How do you like the weight of each one? D) How do you feel about perceived recoil? E) How are your groupings when you shoot 50 rounds through each at a target? F) What State are you in (i.e. can't get 10 round mags for XDM) G) How is the trigger pull? Break Point? Reset? H) How is it checking for clear? I) When you hit the mag release how quick does the mag drop? Does it go flying out in the blink of an eye, so you can quickly pop another in or do you have to yank it? J) How are the sites? K) What aftermarket parts are available (i.e. Different barrels, extended magazines, etc.) L) How is reliability?

Ultimately, you just have to pick one and buy it. To be honest with you, I love both the XDM and the XD as well as the M&P. I notice less perceived recoil in the XDM but it is heavier. I might move back to California and can't get a 10 round magazine with the XDM For that reason, I am checking out the XD, which by the way is cheaper than the XDM and the exact same gun for the most part.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Often Tried Never Denied

It is really a matter of personal preference.

For me, I like the Springfield 10X better than the M&P, but I'm sure there all plenty of guys who feel opposite of this.

They are both top quality firearms, and you can't make the wrong decision.

Personally, you couldn't run fast enough to give me a .40 cal. because I HATE them, but again, that is just personal preference. It has become a very popular round, so obviously there are those who disagree.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM

It is definitely a matter personal preference. Both are really well built guns. I have the M&P 40c and carry it daily. It has 1000s of rounds thru it with basic upkeep and it still shoots like a dream. My advice: take both to the range and figure it out from there
Old 04-10-2012, 09:43 AM
SEMPER FI

Yah I was going to go shoot them but my local gun range is expensive as heck if your not a member and I won;t be the way they run it, plusyou have to buy the ammo from them at their range. So in the end i'd spend about $50-$75+ to go shoot them, more if I shot 50 rounds through each weapon and that's considering that they even have the 3.8 .40 XDM and the .40 M&P C.

I'd rather put that 50-75 bucks toward my actual gun purchase.

So I guess I'll just have to pick one and buy it. Just wanted to get some other owners feedback.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM
SEMPER FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4N3 View Post
It is really a matter of personal preference.

For me, I like the Springfield 10X better than the M&P, but I'm sure there all plenty of guys who feel opposite of this.

They are both top quality firearms, and you can't make the wrong decision.

Personally, you couldn't run fast enough to give me a .40 cal. because I HATE them, but again, that is just personal preference. It has become a very popular round, so obviously there are those who disagree.
Just curious but why do you hate the .40? I enjoy it because it has a nice range and close up knock down power. My buddy has the XDM .45, I shot it and it's nice but eh the .40's i've shot seem more accurate. Just my experience with them. My Hi Point .40 is very accurate.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Often Tried Never Denied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAK47 View Post
Just curious but why do you hate the .40? I enjoy it because it has a nice range and close up knock down power. My buddy has the XDM .45, I shot it and it's nice but eh the .40's i've shot seem more accurate. Just my experience with them. My Hi Point .40 is very accurate.
Again, it's just personal preference.
I see it as a compromise. Nowhere near the knockdown power and kenetic energy of a .45 acp, nowhere near the mag capacity of a 9mm .
It's also worth mentioning that 9mm ammo is dirt cheap by comparison.
I cut my teeth on 45 acp, and see that as a good choice.
I also appreciate the convenience of hi-cap mags and cheap ammo, so that makes 9mm a good choice too. .40 is just so-so in both categories, and not outstanding in either.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Master of sarcasm!!!!!!

id go with the xd / xdm platform better gun, better package, more for your money!
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Often Tried Never Denied

Oh, and by the way.
I think you are probably right about the .40 being a little more accurate than.45.
That may be an important issue for you, it depends on how you will use the weapon.
For defense purposes I'm not sure it matters. On a man sized target, inside 25 yards you are not going to notice the accuracy difference, and if you are wanting accuracy for target shooting, the 9mm makes more sense, because it is very accurate and cheaper to shoot.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:59 PM
SEMPER FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4N3 View Post
Oh, and by the way.
I think you are probably right about the .40 being a little more accurate than.45.
That may be an important issue for you, it depends on how you will use the weapon.
For defense purposes I'm not sure it matters. On a man sized target, inside 25 yards you are not going to notice the accuracy difference, and if you are wanting accuracy for target shooting, the 9mm makes more sense, because it is very accurate and cheaper to shoot.
Yah I already have the XDM 9mm, my wife loves it!
Old 04-10-2012, 01:24 PM
Life, Liberty,& Happiness

Thanked 1,198 Times in 445 Posts

I love me some XD, hands down the best pistol that I have handled. The gun feels custom designed for me, for you results may very, so you just gotta try them out, its absolutely the only way to be sure.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:49 PM
The Farce Side

Thanked 9,381 Times in 2,957 Posts

iI have the XDm 40 cal 3.8, LOVE that weapon. You get a nice little package of goodies with it, too. If you decide XDm, PM me , I can point you in the right direction for purchase...
Old 04-10-2012, 05:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,234 Times in 734 Posts

.40 = 10mm short, literally.

I'm not a fan of .40. Not that it's intrinsically bad, but that it was created because the 10mm was found to be too stout. Basically, it evolved as a answer to a question that didn't need asking. As for accuracy, that's all about you. At 25 yards and under, shouldn't be any difference at all between 9mm, .40 and .45.

I won't own a gun in .40, as 9mm and .45 meet all of my needs and I find the .40 to be snappy. That said, as noted, it's not intrinsically bad. As to your post, for me, I'd go XDM, if I was headed that way. Nice pistol.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:56 PM
New and yet, old

Thanked 2,715 Times in 741 Posts

A LOT of police departments have changed to the S&W M&P 9mm;.40S&W and .45acp

Not one police department in the entire country has changed to the XD series.

Not one. As matter of fact, one of the most knowledgeable law enforcement pistol experts in the country has advised against using the XD series for anything (DocGKR)

On Service Pistols
Old 04-11-2012, 07:20 AM
SEMPER FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
A LOT of police departments have changed to the S&W M&P 9mm;.40S&W and .45acp

Not one police department in the entire country has changed to the XD series.

Not one. As matter of fact, one of the most knowledgeable law enforcement pistol experts in the country has advised against using the XD series for anything (DocGKR)

On Service Pistols
Hey BUd - Interesting find. I just skimmed over that link and saw where he said this about the XD
"XD's are a no go for serious use--the inability to retract the slide without engaging the grip safety makes one-hand injured operation very difficult with the XD--this is a deal breaker for me. In addition, in some government tests, XD's (particularly the .40's) have broken a lot of parts compared to other pistols being tested...I'll take a 9 mm Glock or M&P any day of the week over an XD."

He does have a valid point about retracting the slide if you are injured and trying to do a one hand operation. Hmm thanks for pointing that out, never even thought about it. I also have not heard about the .40's breaking, this is also news to me...