Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-09-2012, 03:56 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 9,228 Times in 4,121 Posts
Default Ultimate Ferro Rod & Magnesium combo

Advertise Here

So, I just got off the phone with a metal supplier. I may be able to get 1-3/8 diameter magnesium rod in length between 5 and 8 inches, and I may also have a possible lead on 1" Ferro rods in bulk, at a wholesale price.

The ferro rod would be about the diameter of a push broom handle, or the handle of a yard rake.

I just had an idea that if I were to put them together I could make a multi generational fire starter that will last a lifetime, and likely be passed down to your children, if used correctly.

My best guess is the set would be about $150.00 retail, plus shipping and handling if I were to do it.

Does anyone have an interest in something like this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 04:08 PM

I looked into the same thing thinking I could section it to make several 'kits' but it is just way too cost prohibitive to do it that way.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroo View Post
I looked into the same thing thinking I could section it to make several 'kits' but it is just way too cost prohibitive to do it that way.
I don't actually want to cut them down. I was thinking to use them full size, and maybe make a little pouch for them to wear on a belt.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:15 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,625 Posts

Subscribing to see how it goes VA.
I'd love to see an almost "forever" kit.

Right now, I'm riding the "on-the-cheap" wave and am working to put together mulit-source
fire starting sets that I can distribute through various sets of gear bags (auto, BOB, etc...).
I'm going to purchase supplies in bulk, find some common compact waterproof containers that
would house the firestarting tools, tinder & ignition elements and buy myself some peace of mind.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR69 View Post
Subscribing to see how it goes VA.
I'd love to see an almost "forever" kit.

Right now, I'm riding the "on-the-cheap" wave and am working to put together mulit-source
fire starting sets that I can distribute through various sets of gear bags (auto, BOB, etc...).
I'm going to purchase supplies in bulk, find some common compact waterproof containers that
would house the firestarting tools, tinder & ignition elements and buy myself some peace of mind.
My current kit is very similar to what you describe. I have a variety of storm proof matches, various tinders from Spark lites, to wetfire, to some sort of commercially made cotton in Vaseline. I also have birthday candles, Mag blocks and a Strike Force(Ferro rod in a cool plastic case)

However, after years of doing this stuff, I have found I only really use the magnesium and the strike force to light fires. Since learning to make a bow drill, now I always try that first, and then use the strike force to ignite the tinder bundle if I fail.

From where I am now, if I had a 1 X 6 ferro rod, and a 1 X 6 magnesium rod, I would never need to carry anything else for the rest of my life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 07:17 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,712 Posts

I bought ferro sticks online somewhere that were reasonable priced but ca'nt recall where.
at the scrap yard I found magnesium blocks that were tossed out from a machine shop, I locked them in a vise and used a 1/2" bit in my drill motor to drill. saved the shavings - a sort of 'curl'. the ferro rod will light them and very hot fire is result. would light most any tinder.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin 45 carbine For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin 45 carbine View Post
I bought ferro sticks online somewhere that were reasonable priced but ca'nt recall where.
at the scrap yard I found magnesium blocks that were tossed out from a machine shop, I locked them in a vise and used a 1/2" bit in my drill motor to drill. saved the shavings - a sort of 'curl'. the ferro rod will light them and very hot fire is result. would light most any tinder.

I would love to find a machine shop near me that had scrap magnesium.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 40,164 Times in 5,557 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

For a family heirloom to start the fireplace and grill, but not for the field.

Carefull of the magnesium. Some of it that is available is alloyed and does not shave very well at all. I have a couple of the cheap mag bars and I've yet to start a fire with them. The striker was okay, but I just couldn't shave the mag.

The ones I go to now have soft magnesium and it shaves great. They have from small to large and are reasonable price for what you get.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbanba View Post
Amazon.com: Magnesium Extruded Rod 1/2" Diameter X 1 Foot: Industrial & Scientific

or

Amazon.com: Camco 11553 RV Magnesium Anode Rod Fits Atwood Heaters: Automotive

plus some large OD ferro rods via ebay or elsewhere will do it
you could probably epoxy them together with high test epoxy like long cure JB Weld or similar or just rubber band/ranger band them together

interesting thread

now what goes in the rest of the 'fire kit'?
These will not work. The top one has a steel core, and is not pure magnesium. The bottom one is a magnesium, aluminum mix, and also will not work.

You need pure magnesium, like this

My wholesale price is about the same as this, however the rods I can get are 14", not 12", and they are 1-3/8 (more than twice the size), not just a 1/2"
Old 04-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Plinker

One word....Heavy. I have a 1/2 inch x 6 inch ferro rod and its annoyingly heavy to take out into the field. It just sits at home for messing around in the yard.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik View Post
One word....Heavy. I have a 1/2 inch x 6 inch ferro rod and its annoyingly heavy to take out into the field. It just sits at home for messing around in the yard.
LOL!! Maybe you should start lifting weights then?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:14 AM

You guys seem to be way ahead of me. I purchased 1/4" Ferro rods and 1/2" Mag. rods trying to make my own combo stick. The question I would like to ask some of the more experienced guys, is how do you put the grove in the Magnesium rod for the Ferro. rod to fit into?
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo Troop View Post
You guys seem to be way ahead of me. I purchased 1/4" Ferro rods and 1/2" Mag. rods trying to make my own combo stick. The question I would like to ask some of the more experienced guys, is how do you put the grove in the Magnesium rod for the Ferro. rod to fit into?
I don't put a groove and attach them. I prefer to keep them seperate, as they are easier to work individually than when they are attached like that. Better to drill a hole in the top of them, and attahc them witha lanyard, than to marry them like a magnesium block is.

www.firesteel.com pretty much has the solutions, just not in full size.

Since I made this thread, I have decided that 1 inch is too big. a 3/4 by 6" is a much better size. That is about the size of a dinner candle and easier to carry. Will still last a life time though.

I can't find pure 3/4" magnesium rod in small samples though....can only find it in 12 foot lengths. so this project is on permahold...
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,031 Times in 3,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Nomad View Post
So, I just got off the phone with a metal supplier. I may be able to get 1-3/8 diameter magnesium rod in length between 5 and 8 inches, and I may also have a possible lead on 1" Ferro rods in bulk, at a wholesale price.

The ferro rod would be about the diameter of a push broom handle, or the handle of a yard rake.

I just had an idea that if I were to put them together I could make a multi generational fire starter that will last a lifetime, and likely be passed down to your children, if used correctly.

My best guess is the set would be about $150.00 retail, plus shipping and handling if I were to do it.

Does anyone have an interest in something like this?
I would be interested.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:03 AM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 8,700 Times in 3,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
For a family heirloom to start the fireplace and grill, but not for the field.

Carefull of the magnesium. Some of it that is available is alloyed and does not shave very well at all. I have a couple of the cheap mag bars and I've yet to start a fire with them. The striker was okay, but I just couldn't shave the mag.

The ones I go to now have soft magnesium and it shaves great. They have from small to large and are reasonable price for what you get.
Mr. Young I have had the same issues with these cheap mag bars. I have used a double cut file and had better luck. But its still alot of work. Cheap is always gonna be cheap.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Mr. Young I have had the same issues with these cheap mag bars. I have used a double cut file and had better luck. But its still alot of work. Cheap is always gonna be cheap.
I have some 4 X 5/8 samples of 99.99% pure magnesium rod. it's the best shaving magnesium I ever tried. It's soft, ignites super easy, and burns so hot that it separates water into hydrogen and oxygen, and then ignites that too. That is from the supplier that can get me the 3/4 X 6 X 12 foot size.

Also, I have a source for wholesale Ferro rods in various sizes now.

My plan, is to get enough money to by 12 foot lengths of magnesium rod (since I cannot get the good stuff in smaller amounts), in 4 different sizes. That will cost me a good $1000.00. Once I have that, I can cut it to length based on the customer order and pair it with a ferro rod that the customer chooses from a prepurchased selection I'd have in stock from the wholesaler.

Everyone gets the ultimate firestarter based on personal need and funds that way.

I want to get Ferrocerium rod in 12 foot lengths too, if it's available. Then each order would be custom made to customer specs as they order. No two fire starters would be alike that way. each would be tailored to the customers needs and budget.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,161 Times in 1,005 Posts

V N your idea is a good one. One line of supply you may want to explore is you can get an 10" long 3/4 inch thick mag. anode rod for your water heat much cheaper, and of excellent quality.

They run from $10 and up depending on size of rod and the type/brand of water heater you have. Any home improvement store has em. Just be sure you get the Magnesium anode and NOT the Aluminium anode.

I sometimes get a call to switch out the Magnesium anode for an Aluminium anode due to sulfur water. One of these magnesium anodes should last a guy about 3 lifetimes unless you use it like thermite!!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,156 Times in 1,625 Posts

Would the consensus be that Doan's Mag Bars are the best?
Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThrivalist View Post
Would the consensus be that Doan's Mag Bars are the best?
As far as mag bars go, yes, they are the standard. They are also the original.

My issue with them is that they were designed as emergency firestarters for downed military pilots expecting rescue in 72 hours at the most. They were never meant to do more than get a handful of fires started. They have very small firesteels imbedded in them. You used up the entire fire steel, before using even 25% of the magnesium.

Mine occupy emergency back up positions in my system. One on the knife sheath, one in the FAK and such areas like that.

I use a 1/2 diameter ferro rod in a StrikeForce case as my main firesteel, and a 5/8" X 4", 99.99% pure magnesium rod as my magnesium source. This is a much better balanced ratio of magnesium to firesteel. Also, a 1/2" diameter firesteel just throws off a tn more sparks than the tiny striker on the doan block does. Makes it much easier to gte a fire going even when you don't need magnesium.

Performance wise, a large ferro rod, and matching rod of near pure magnesium is way easier to use, lasts way longer and is far more reliable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post: