Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 AM

Advertise Here

I'd say plywood and 2x4's to brace the side walls, you'd hate to find them trapped after a ground shift. As easy as it was to dig that size hole. Better safe than sorry.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluetick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 AM
Romans 3:23

Kudos for being a cool enough dad to build their kids a fort! Too many parents today will only do what's "practical" and it drives me crazy. My own father is like you and let me do stuff like this when I was younger. Its the best possible way to grow up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slim2634 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Gary Johnson 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riday View Post
Great project for the kiddos!
My brother and I did pretty much the same thing when we were kids.
A word of advice, have the talk now about not playing with fire.
We decided that we needed a fireplace in ours and my brother eventually set the fence on fire!
I guess it isn't a bad idea to mention that to them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover View Post
dont forget the grenade sump.

curious, did they build it themselves, how many hours of work did it take them?
They dug the hole by themselves, with a little bit of help from me getting the larger rocks out. I primarily built the roof and laid out the cinder blocks, but with their help. I would have let them do that too... Except I don't think it would be wise to let a 7 and 9 year old design a roof that will be holding hundreds of pounds of dirt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug18 View Post
Just to let you know, in PA its illegal to collect stones from your local creek or river. If your caught you could face a stiff fine.

Your neighbors must think your nutty digging such deep holes in your backyard.
Ha. I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I'm in a rural enough area that no one cares much about stuff like that though. I collected up literally over a ton of rocks last summer when I built a 400 gallon garden pond in the backyard. I guess I'm taking a risk... But it's one I'm willing to take.

I do wonder what my neighbors think about the bunker in the yard. My one neighbor has kept a close eye on my kids' progress, as she thinks it's pretty cool what they've been doing. Honestly though, I'm lucky to have really good neighbors on all sides of me. The neighbors to my right and left are retired women who are both very friendly and not the nosy type at all, and the guy who I share my back yard fence line with is a retired vet who flies a Gadsden flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
I was thinking the same thing- I can dig a much larger hole, including water and grenade sump in less than 2 hours, by myself. Also, why they be spreading their dirt everywhere instead of building up a parapet around the outside?
Good for you. Sounds like you have much more experience at this type of thing than my two children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetick View Post
I'd say plywood and 2x4's to brace the side walls, you'd hate to find them trapped after a ground shift. As easy as it was to dig that size hole. Better safe than sorry.
The ground is very solid and mostly clay. It's highly, highly improbable that the sides would cave in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim2634 View Post
Kudos for being a cool enough dad to build their kids a fort! Too many parents today will only do what's "practical" and it drives me crazy. My own father is like you and let me do stuff like this when I was younger. Its the best possible way to grow up.
My dad was the same way... Which is probably why it just seems natural to do this type of thing with my kids.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,814 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Good for you. Sounds like you have much more experience at this type of thing than my two children.
lol ass hat
The Following User Says Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm tryin'

Good job dad! My brother and I loved our foxhole when we were young. We had a couple of false starts when we dug ours and left several 12"-14" holes scattered around the yard for our dad to find when he was mowing, those holes didn't go over to well with The Man.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rwisaacks For This Useful Post: