Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Prepper

Default 2 liter bottles

Advertise Here

i'm not a big soda drinker, nor is anyone else in my house. we don't buy many bottled beverages at all, we're lucky to get one 2 liter bottle of pink lemonade per year. i've been reading around and noticing lots of you use 2 liter soda bottles for storing certain foods and water in, sounds like a pretty good idea to me, might as well try it. only problem, i have no 2 liter bottles.

i've been looking around on bulk plastic bottle sites for 2 liter bottles, but have been unable to find any. does anyone know of any good sites out there that offer 2 liter bottles in new, un-used condition preferably?

i'm not looking to stake out the local grocery store bottle return machine for hours on end, or beg people for their used bottles because i don't know what they've used them for, or who's diseased mouths they've come into contact with. i'm a bit of a germophobe...

thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Rocket Surgeon

Thanked 20,846 Times in 8,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffr View Post
i'm not a big soda drinker, nor is anyone else in my house. we don't buy many bottled beverages at all, we're lucky to get one 2 liter bottle of pink lemonade per year. i've been reading around and noticing lots of you use 2 liter soda bottles for storing certain foods and water in, sounds like a pretty good idea to me, might as well try it. only problem, i have no 2 liter bottles.

i've been looking around on bulk plastic bottle sites for 2 liter bottles, but have been unable to find any. does anyone know of any good sites out there that offer 2 liter bottles in new, un-used condition preferably?

i'm not looking to stake out the local grocery store bottle return machine for hours on end, or beg people for their used bottles because i don't know what they've used them for, or who's diseased mouths they've come into contact with. i'm a bit of a germophobe...

thanks!
Before I store anything in plastic bottles I sterilize them with iodine before using. That should reduce to chance of bacteria from forming before adding my storage goods!
The Following User Says Thank You to rokitman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:04 PM
Hiker

Know anyone who does drink sodas (neighbors, coworkers)? Ask them for their empty bottles. Come up with a simple reason (mini garden, child/niece/nephew/cousin's science project, ant farms, terrariums, trotline floats, ect), and don't ask for a bunch cause the end of the world is near. A few here and there and it tends to stay off everyone's radar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TxRanchMedic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I'm friendly, maybe

Thanked 10,517 Times in 4,615 Posts

My son is a pepsiaholic, he goes through a dozen or more every 2 weeks.

Right now, since i've been getting him to save then i've got over 150 2 liter bottles of water that are being stacked in a corner but i'm thinking about moving them to a closet.

I've thought about storing some rice in some to see how that works since i've seen some posts on here about it.
I have a group for those of us who like to prospect or mine for gold. Whether it be the person who just prospects with a pan, uses a metal detector or the person who has a giant trommel. Everyone's Welcome!
www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=370
The Following User Says Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE

I use 2 liter bottles for rice and water. The one gallon tea or juice jugs with the bigger opening works well with beans. 16 or 20 oz. water bottles work great for rice and instant potatoes while camping or hiking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Srchdawg For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,325 Times in 31,471 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If you're going to buy the 2 liter bottles just for storage, you might as well do it right and buy mylar bags instead. The folks using the bottles are just finding a use for them rather than throwing them out. But the plastic the bottles are made from are not as gas impermeable as mylar. So for the same price, you could use mylar instead.

I use 3 liter bottles for short term storage of foods. 2-3 years max. They fit nicely in my cupboard, and the 3 liter bottles have larger openings so they're easier to fill. They also don't glug when you pour the soda.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Insert Custom User Title

Thanked 29,555 Times in 12,401 Posts

One or two a week -- wash them out - peal the label off -- fill with water - into the plastic milk crate - and stored

For me --- now -- it's the simple cheapest way
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricekila For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,652 Times in 2,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricekila View Post
One or two a week -- wash them out - peal the label off -- fill with water - into the plastic milk crate - and stored

For me --- now -- it's the simple cheapest way
Gotta agree with you there. I do normally buy the 3 liter bottles for use in storing stuff though due to the larger capacity and the large mouth opening. While not as permenant a solution as Mylar, it works well enough for my needs and I can usually burn through Rice, Beans and sprouting Seeds fast enough to not worry about it going bad on me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 10:41 PM

I can see mold forming if you don't wash and dry it well.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

If you are afraid of other peoples germs you probably won't be happy with my suggestion. I put an ad in the local free paper under recycleing it was a free ad. I got connected with a couple that used a lot of seltzer water and tonic water. The bottles were very clean but I cleaned them with bleach water before I used them. I use them mostly for water but I have a few with rice and other grains and lentils.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Texas Raised

if youre going to consider buying them, just go ahead and get a 50 gallon barrel or some of those little 5 gallon water jugs
Old 03-27-2012, 11:24 PM
OhMySoades

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerbourne View Post
if youre going to consider buying them, just go ahead and get a 50 gallon barrel or some of those little 5 gallon water jugs
agree, don't waste your time. 5 gal water bottles for drinking, 55 or larger for rain water storage. rotate & use.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,205 Times in 13,698 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

do you drink anything else? Tea, fruit juice etc. I drink Arizona Iced Tea and fruit punch. Both come in gallon bottles. I rinse those out and use them to store water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 12,304 Times in 4,511 Posts
Default Hawaiian punch bottles

The 1 1/2 liter Hawaiian Punch bottles are nice, they have a heavy duty carrying handle on it and a little bigger mouth to pour stuff into. I'd like to have some of those but I can't drink the drink because of the sugar in it.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:37 AM

I don"t drink much pop either but I do use coupons for everything so I get most of mine free or no more than 25 cents a piece. I send them home with the grown kids (or put them in their Christmas and birthday baskets) and then they just bring them back when they are empty. I do get alot of juice bottles too that I use to store water in, mostly free with the coupons!
The Following User Says Thank You to mahrrb For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Prepper

thanks for the replies! as i was reading these, it occurred to me...i have a buddy who lives at college and has access to a bunch of hardcore soda drinkers. gonna see what she can scrounge up from their dorms.

i agree with the 55 gallon barrels, i just don't have the storage space for any just yet. i'm also looking for something that is easily portable by anyone in the family. i have eight 7 gallon aquatainers which would be impossible to move by two of the four people living with me.

i also like having 2 liter bottles on hand for the solar disinfection method for purifying water; a slow process but it's better than nothing. i'm just keeping that as another backup for my many backups. again, thanks all
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffr For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Follow your own star

Thanked 2,970 Times in 959 Posts

If you drink juice use those bottles as well.Any bottle that is food grade works.Even wine and whiskey bottles.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hazeleyes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM

I fill them with water and put them in the deep freezer. Instant ice for power outages or water for extended outages.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wyattd5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffr View Post

thanks!
Are you joking?

Go to your local supermarket and buy 2 litre bottles of water for 20c each
Old 03-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 2,450 Times in 1,038 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

If I was you I would go with 3 liter bottles they have a wider mouth and are easier to fill and empty. Dollar Tree sells pop in 3 liter bottles for $1.00 you could buy a bunch and donate them to a church and take the cost of the pop off your taxes. Tell them that you want the bottles back when empty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post: