Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Non-Lethal Weapons & Self Defense
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 08-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Sports and Hunting

Default paintball

Advertise Here

Im Getting a Tippmann 98 custom platinum series. I have been wanting a paintball gun for ever and it is perfect for me. My dad is also wanting a gun. Is the 98 worth my money?

Is an air tank worth money?

And is their n e certain brand of paintballs that r better? Some r like $30 for 1000 and some are $15 for the same.

Thanks for ur help!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Off-roadie

Tippmanns are tought, have an A5 ant a 98c, lots of parts.. air tanks? eh, depends how serious you are about it.. if your looking at a basic gun like the 98c, then not-so-much. paints generally paint for play. you donjt shoot someone with a paintgun for self-defence.. because when you do theyll come pull your arms off! in prisons there shooting inmates with mace-balls/pepper-balls, but thats wiz-bang cop only junk for the most part.
The Following User Says Thank You to spudgunsniper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2008, 08:31 PM

Air tanks are expensive, but they give more consistent shots than CO2. They allow you to play in colder weather too. Just make sure you have a good place to get them filled, unless you dont mind buying an expensive hand pump, and getting a strenuous workout every time you pump the tank up.
If you are into shooting crosman airguns, the air tank will come in handy for hunting in cold weather.
Paintball markers can have other potential uses as well if you have a creative mind...
The Following User Says Thank You to theairgunman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2008, 08:56 PM
delta squad

they are great i got one with all the M4 mods on it painted desert camo( cost more to shoot paintball than a .22, thats why i stopped playing so often
The Following User Says Thank You to spenceNC For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Off-roadie

LOL, it really is cheaper to shoot the realt gun Vs the paintgun. funny, but, for a beginner gun the tippy is perfect, and air is the better way to go, but its pricy.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,363 Times in 2,707 Posts

tippmans are the AK 47 of the paintball world. all paintballs will shoot but with trail and error youll find a brand that your barrel like best. if your getting a new gun an after market barrel is one of the best things you can do to improve accuracy. Co2 is just fine for reck play just dont even think of tourny play, but rec/woodsball and you will have tons of fun. here is a good link for woods ball http://www.specialopspaintball.com/index.asp the game locater is really great. paintballs you can get to a point that you do get what you pay for $20-$30 is a good price for 1k of good paint.i can remmber when we was paying $125 for a case of 2500 and there was only about 3 brands to choose from. but the game has changed. back then tournys was played more like woodsball with a bit of strategy not just spray and pray style of play, with paint costing so much you wanted every shot to count. if you going to use CO2 i would look at getting an expasion chamber they help stablize your gun for better shot to shot accuracy,and extends the number of shots you get out of your tank

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 08-15-2008 at 03:24 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2008, 05:53 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,847 Times in 784 Posts

Agreed with comments on Tippman being a decent gun. I added a flat-line barrel to mine. As previous poster mentioned, different barrels seem to like different paint.

I played a lot, but never in serious enough competition to use anything but CO2 - worked well and though cold weather can be a problem we did play winter games in the snow and managed to keep shooting.

Anyone old enough to remember the Nelspot 007? Pump action, 12 gram CO2 and only held 10-15 balls...

Cheers,
-Per

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
The Following User Says Thank You to Per Ardua For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2008, 01:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,363 Times in 2,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Ardua View Post
Agreed with comments on Tippman being a decent gun. I added a flat-line barrel to mine. As previous poster mentioned, different barrels seem to like different paint.

I played a lot, but never in serious enough competition to use anything but CO2 - worked well and though cold weather can be a problem we did play winter games in the snow and managed to keep shooting.

Anyone old enough to remember the Nelspot 007? Pump action, 12 gram CO2 and only held 10-15 balls...

Cheers,
-Per
do you remmber what a splatmaster is? LOL i had a few then went to a VM68 and a war games ,sniper. i retired from the tournys when nitrogen was starting to hit my main guns then was a, evolution autococker and an automag back up

Last edited by Cryptkeeper; 08-17-2008 at 10:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptkeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I worship Ray Mears

If you want a paintball ball marker that will never let you down. It has to be a AIRGUN designs (AutoMag) very old school. I still have mine for when my ANGEL goes down. The Automag is AK47 of paintball markers
The Following User Says Thank You to Khris For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Sports and Hunting

Is a red dot scope accurate. I want to upgrade a lot of things and the main one is red dot scope.
Thanks again
Old 08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Off-roadie

its a paint gun.. has a rainbow arc.. ever shoot one? red dots are great when your projectile flys flat... paintballs dont. BUT you can get a flat-line barrel that will shoot flat-er. but then have to shoot better paint. still not optics freindly
Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,847 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudgunsniper View Post
its a paint gun.. has a rainbow arc.. ever shoot one? red dots are great when your projectile flys flat... paintballs dont. BUT you can get a flat-line barrel that will shoot flat-er. but then have to shoot better paint. still not optics freindly
ditto.

Neat thing about a flat-line barrel is that it can actually reverse the arc. I was out once and got lined up on my son. I was on higher ground and shot at his chest. It hit him on the chin line under his mask.

-Per.

-Edmund Burke

Canadian Survivalistsp
The Following User Says Thank You to Per Ardua For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,471 Posts

I played alot15+ years ago,and then again about 10 years ago.Paint was very expensive because the sport was just taking off. My first gun was a tippman 68special ,one of the first semi autos on the market.Most people were using bushmaster pumps. It was all about playing in the woods back then,unlike now with this speedball crap. My next gun was a piranha.The thing that always ****ed me off ,was that very few guns shot well right out of the box.Most needed alot of aftermarket parts to get up to snuff.Also if you happened to buy a bad case of paint,your whole day was ruined by spooge in your gun,and you wasted x amount of dollars on it.Hope things have changed and I guarantee you will have a blast playing.P.S. Buy the double pane goggles,because the single paned ones fog up like crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apocalypse Now For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Sports and Hunting

[QUOTE=Apocalypse Now;234091 It was all about playing in the woods back then,unlike now with this speedball crap.

Im playing back in my woods. I cant stand the speedball it looks boring. I want some realism too it.

Thanks for all the help on everything everyone. I will probably have a lot more questions. Thanks
Old 09-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Sports and Hunting

My friend got an Alpha Black. I have changed my mind and am getting the same. It is awesome. I also got 2 free guns. I have been having wars and it is the most fun thing i have ever done. Thanks again for all of your help. I will b getting my alpha blackat the end of the month......
Old 09-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Ardua View Post

Cheers,
-Per
I remember a Nelspot bolt action that was originally indended for marking cattle and line poles -- THEY HURT. I was away for a lot of years before my wife got me back into it about 3 years ago. It was like going from Civil War weapony to Desert Storm weapons compairing then to now. Where I play is a TACTICAL WOODS BALL FIELD and the owner is an ex-marine. He has a Vietnam style fire base and well as other set ups on about 25 acres of land with assorted terrain. It's funny though to see some guys with "electronic " guns running over a $$ 1000.00 and shooting 40 bps craddling their guns in a rain and my Tippman A5 keeps on going. I added a flat-line barrel from ebay to it and run an O2 tank. HOWEVER the owner also does a safety speech at the start of the day and puts 6 or 8 rounds through corrugated cardboard to prove they WILL do damage. So if you hit somebody in the UNPROTECTED face or even in the groin you will either hurt them or maybe even put them down. Sorry for going on and on but yes the Tippman is the AK of p/b guns !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to weaselrunner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2008, 07:37 PM

The 98 custom is an excellent paintball gun for woodsball. If you are more of a speed baller then the custom wont cut it. Its pretty accurate and reliable in the woods and is overall a pretty good choice especially for the price and offers a wide range of attachments.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigstuffc17 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Sports and Hunting

i cant stand playing speedball i like to play woods or scenario ball where it is realistic. but yea it is great ive had mine probably 2 weeks and im so glad i bought it it was well worth the money now i am buying an Apex barrel for it.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 AM
Hiker

I like the diablo paintballs or Nelson "Nel-splat" paintballs. I have a bunch of paintball gear that I would be willing to get rid of for a price. PM me if interested.

Tbull
The Following User Says Thank You to TBULL55 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Sweat more, bleed less!

Thanked 1,511 Times in 941 Posts

i'v played for about 15 years, be it tournament or wods ball. I played in world cup back in '05. Its a BLAST. I recently got into airsoft because its a bit more realistic. But, i still play every now and then.

my first gun as a tippmann 98 custom. its a FANTASTIC marker. it will take any abuse you through at it. Every paintball field that i've played at had them for rent.

There:
easy to clean and fied strip.
fairy inexpinsive
parts are everywhere and cheep.
can be used for any type of play.
easy to use
O and did i say durable?
The Following User Says Thank You to CPL_BS_88 For This Useful Post: