Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival

Default Best Tomahawk

Advertise Here

Im looking to get a Tomahawk ... just wanted your guys opinion on which ones you recommend ... im a knife nut ... but dont know too much about tomahawks ... looking for a like self-defense hand to hand number that could also complete minor bushcrafting jobs ...

Any ideas ?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JayOlliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 11:17 AM

Go over to www.bladeforums.com and check out the axe and hawk subforum.
The Following User Says Thank You to txpossum For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOlliver View Post
Im looking to get a Tomahawk ... just wanted your guys opinion on which ones you recommend ... im a knife nut ... but dont know too much about tomahawks ... looking for a like self-defense hand to hand number that could also complete minor bushcrafting jobs ...

Any ideas ?
Here are a few "Tactical" Tomahawks for you to check out:

(1) ATC Lagana Vietnam Tomahawk
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/ATVT...actical-combat
ATC takes an old proven design and manufactures it with modern materials. The Head is made from a ridiculously hard and tough steel. The Grinds and profiles are thick to prevent damage. The handle is made from modern plastics that are damn near indestructible (To test it, They prop up the handle on a block and drive a humvee over it. It just bent, and then returned to its original shape.)
Certain military units are issued this Tomahawk as a "breaching tool". Apparently it is good for going through doors, concrete, kevlar and helmets, not necessarily in that order. Probably not the best cutting instrument for bushcraft, skinning or food prep, but I have a feeling it would do the job.
You can throw it and abuse it.

Very light weight. Small Profile.
Knifecenter.com is selling them for $116 plus shipping.

(2) RMJ Tactical
http://www.rmjtactical.com/
RMJ is currently very popular among the Soldiers fighting in the "sandbox".
Their tomahawk designs are made as fighting tools. There are a number of different models, but they are all thick, full tang construction with G10 handle slabs. The idea is that there is chance for head separation, or a need for handle replacement with a integral one piece design. The spike is designed to go through helments.
Expect to pay $475 plus shipping and wait up to 4 months for delivery.

(3) Swamp Rat Crash Ax
http://www.swampratknives.com/
Swamp Rat Knives made an Ax design a while ago. If you aren't familiar with them, they make everything on a limited run basis with proprietary steel SR101 (modified 52100 steel) with a lifetime guarantee.

Swamp Rat Knives makes ridiculously tough knives, while still maintaining a useful knife profile so that bushcraft, skinning and cooking chores can be met easily. They feature full tang construction with G10 or micarta handle slabs.
These can only be purchased on the secondary market (Bladeforums, knifeforums, etc) , or if you go to a gun/knife show where Busse Knives/Swamp Rat Knives/ Scrap Yard Knives are in attendance.. They are hard to find and can be expensive.

One was recently sold for $240, "used".

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...Rat-Well-Loved!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:31 PM
The Slingdart Master

Anything without a spike on the end. If you got into a CQC fight the spike could be used against you.

I have a CS pipe hawk and love it.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Life, Liberty,& Happiness

Thanked 1,200 Times in 445 Posts

United Cutlery M48, have two around the house for throwing, haven't had one break yet, and works for BushCrafting just fine. If you don't like the spike just grind it flat.
The Following User Says Thank You to MeatHunter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,455 Times in 3,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOlliver View Post

Any ideas ?
First there is no "best" anything.

Do you maybe want a hatchet--which will perform far better in the bush then any hawk ever will and a smaller axe will perform even better still with the likes of a GB Forester pattern or a HBC Canoe pattern (below).

Second, modern (all steel) or traditional (wood handle) hawk? How much you want to spend? $35 gets you an American Tomahawk made hawk with a Cold Steel label on it that are well made to something by Danial Winkler that starts at $3,500 for traditional hawks and $150 will get you a very good entry level modern hawk going up to around $1,000...Do you want it with or without a spike pawl? How you going to carry it, need a sheath or a carry system?

Wild Rose traditional Eastern tribes heart cutout war hawk and pipe hawk

This older, Amer. Tomahawk Co. model, is a modern copy of the Ranger Vietnam era hawk with slightly different steel and a synthetic handle instead of wood but otherwise unchanged and still not issued to the soldiers ($160)...RMJ Tactical Talon ($475)

Firestone--of sharpeners fame makes a line of excellent hatchets and this one called a Sport Axe, 18" handle and 28 oz weight--chops well, throws well and pounds well...Just a little higher priced ($10 to $15) then a Cold Steel and a far superior performer.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeekHer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 08:46 PM

Wildernessoutfittersllc.com has a nice looking tomahawk. It's called the pathfinder hawk I believe. It cost around a hundred bucks and is american made from 5160 steel. It's more on the bushcraft end than tactical, but any hawk will put a man down.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:51 PM

I have the GG&G and it is sooo solid. You could hit it against solid concrete as hard as you can and it won't phase it a bit. I spent $200 for it though. If I had to do it all over again I would get the SOG for $30 or whatever it is. The SOG is a good buy for the price

Old 03-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Sped Man

Thanked 2,466 Times in 768 Posts

Take a look at the Smith and Wesson Tomahawk. It give you more bang for the buck. It can go through a wood door with no problems. It comes with a nice spike. This tomahawk is made from a solid piece of metal over a 1/4" thick!

Total price $76.
You will have a hard time finding a better built one for the money.

My favorite Tomahawk is made by Self Reliance Essentials. It is called the Jackal ($375). It is super sharp all the way around. It is very easy to carry and when you swing it around the weight doesn't drag you down with it. It comes with a tactical shealth.
Here is a photo of Jared the maker of the Jackal with Ryan from RMJ Tomahawks.

As you can clearly see the difference between the two Tomahawks. I personally own one of each and I prefer the Jackal.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sped Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 09:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,127 Times in 751 Posts
Smile

I think the ones used by the navy, in Libya recently are my favorites.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,504 Times in 3,464 Posts

This is my personal hawk forged for me by Kings Forge. They specialize in tomahawks and other past era weapons. I "antiqued" the blade, tacked the haft, and beaded the buckskin lanyard for it. Some folks like a hatchet or axe better but my hawk has never let me down yet. Here's the Link to their site...give them a look.

http://www.kingsforgeandmuzzleloading.com/page1
Attached Thumbnails
Tomamhawk 1.jpg   Tomahawk 2.jpg   Woods 5.jpg  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SCALPHUNTER For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 AM

My favorite is Ft Turner. Very good hawks at reasonable prices.
Bob
Old 04-01-2012, 12:12 AM

Thank you for sharing.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Prepared

Those are fine and well, but I recommend the versatile Cold Steel trail hawk. Some of those listed about have too short of handles to suit me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IlikeSa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 08:56 AM
Hunter

I use the Vietnam Tomahawk cold steel sells, I like it a lot, and it took a nasty edge with very fast. In spit of it's size it cuts very strong. You can throw it and it will stick in a tree or a body, and it is not expensive. I'm going to make a kydex sheath for mine.

http://www.coldsteel.com/vito.html

You can fight with this too, changing direction in mid swing is no problem, and you can move this thing lightning fast. Peter LaGana knew what he was doing when he perfected this tomahawk.

Specifications:
Weight: 19.7 oz.
Primary Edge: 2 3/4"
Hawk Length: 8 1/2"
Overall: 13 1/2"
Steel: Drop Forged 1055 Carbon
Handle: American Hickory
Sheath: Leather Sheath

$61.99
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to INCH PACKER For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Wilddieb

Thanked 1,741 Times in 921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCH PACKER View Post
I use the Vietnam Tomahawk cold steel sells, I like it a lot, and it took a nasty edge with very fast. In spit of it's size it cuts very strong. You can throw it and it will stick in a tree or a body, and it is not expensive. I'm going to make a kydex sheath for mine.

http://www.coldsteel.com/vito.html

You can fight with this too, changing direction in mid swing is no problem, and you can move this thing lightning fast. Peter LaGana knew what he was doing when he perfected this tomahawk.

Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk - YouTube

Specifications:
Weight: 19.7 oz.
Primary Edge: 2 3/4"
Hawk Length: 8 1/2"
Overall: 13 1/2"
Steel: Drop Forged 1055 Carbon
Handle: American Hickory
Sheath: Leather Sheath

$61.99
I also have the Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk, obtained at a sale for ridiculous 25 bucks. Hard to beat that.

If one is searching for something more tactical/modern, I would go with one from RMJ Tactical. Although they are pricy and one has to consider waiting time.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Hunter

Waldlaeufer, so what do you think about it? The only thing I don't like is the sheath, but that is OK, just gives me an excuse to make a custom Kydex one.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 8,182 Times in 3,661 Posts

Guys, can someone explain to me what the point of a tomahawk is, other than employment as a battle weapon? Clearly I'm missing something here, because while I get great use out of my hatchet and forest axe, for instance, I just don't see a practical use for one of these things.....

Last edited by 357revolverfan; 04-02-2012 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: Grammer
Old 04-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357revolverfan View Post
Guys, can someone explain to me what the point of tomahawk is, other than employment as a battle weapon? Clearly I'm missing something here, because while I get great use out of my hatchet and forest axe, for instance, I just don't see a practical use for one of these things.....
+1. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357revolverfan View Post
Guys, can someone explain to me what the point of a tomahawk is, other than employment as a battle weapon? Clearly I'm missing something here, because while I get great use out of my hatchet and forest axe, for instance, I just don't see a practical use for one of these things.....
Well it is an Axe, think of it as a Battle Hatchet if you will. I can do the same thing with mine as you can your hatchet, yet it is light enough to carry all day without being heavy, and at the end of the day it is a fast weapon that will disassemble an opponent. If you watch the video Cold Steel made it should give you a few ideas. I can throw it for a silent take down, and with the pick end, I could do things like MINE, open up steel drums, etc.

You would Be surprised how efficiently this thing chops too for it's light weight size. Lets say I just killed a 12 point buck and I need to butcher it, no problem lickety split that buck is getting dissected.

I'll tell you what, I am ordering my materials to manufacture my own Kydex sheaths Wednesday. When I get everything and make my sheath for it. I will make a video and show you what it can do.

I sharpened mine, but not too sharp, since too sharp would make the edge chip, but it cuts very good.