Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,398 Posts

Advertise Here

This is really going to come down to personal preference and what exactly you are looking for, me personally I carry a cold steel voyager but thats my preference.

I wont recommend any specific knife to you that is for you to look, browse, find what style and size you like and buy it. What I will recommenced are some good quality brands that have proved their toughness, made of good material, and are well within a good price range

(in no particular order) Cold steel, Spyderco, Benchmade, Buck, Gerber, Ka-bar, SOG, These are all quality knife company's and have knives in the price range specified (or less) Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,198 Times in 559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken k View Post
Hi Survivor87.

Like someone already said you can get all kinds of answers. I'll share with you what I use:

I have two Camelbak hydration packs. One is the Mule and the larger one is the BFM. For a kinfe I have a Gerber Parrabellum. The sheath is handy because it allows me to carry the knife in the fixed blade position and I keep a Gerber multi-tool in the pouch. I have it attached to the shoulder straps.
This is a large folder and is no longer made. You can find them on ebay though.

One more knife. The esee Izula I keep on my belt.

I think you would be better off with a fixed blade knife to keep in your pack and keep the folder in your pocket as most have clips on them.

Anyway lets us know what you end up with.
The folding knife shown being withdrawn from the pack strap is a very rare Gerber Parabellum. This knife is an excellent knife for the field as folders go. If one can be found for sale snap it up since the chance to own one will not come your way again!

http://highadventureoutfitters.com/h...s/prod_230.htm
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 1,061 Times in 536 Posts

The two folders that have impressed me the most are the SOG Salute and Kershaw RJI. The Salute is a lockback and opens manually via thumbstuds while the RJI is assisted opening with a linerlock, but both have G-10 grips and ~3.5" 8Cr13MoV blades. Not the best steel in the world, but far from the worst. I have alternated between the two for EDC, consider them sturdy enough to substitute for a fixed blade in a pinch, and feel that both are (in my opinion) the perfect size for defensive use while still being easily concealed. It doesn't hurt that they fall into the $25-35 range while (again in my opinion) offering superior features and workmanship to imported Buck and Gerber knives. Yes, these are still built in Taiwan or China, but on par with USA models that I own, and far better than many other imports in the same price range.

If you take self-defense off your list, I think that there are other knives (and more USA-made) that are more appropriate for bushcraft and utility purposes, but for true EDC, defensive features are a must for me.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM

Nice set up.