Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-14-2008, 02:17 PM

Default Building a compound

Advertise Here

I never considered myself a true survivalist but have always believed that the s will htf in my lifetime and am well prepared in terms of supplies. I don't believe the reds will invade or our government will turn. I think it will more likely be an international financial crisis that leads to the eventual collapse of national government.

I own (the bank owns) a 140 acres of land. My brother and parents live on either side and my best friend and his family live across the road. I plan on using my farm as a compound which to defend the local area. The surrounding neighborhood would be home to a few dozen close friends and family.

I am interested in making the property a bitch to assault. I live in a rural community and figure the invaders would be mostly gangs of hungry folks, occasional bandits, and rogue military units flying our flag but under no real command structure.

I plan to use existing stone walls, large boulders, hedge rows, and pricker bush patches to deter unwanted visitors.

My question is whether you would build a fortress type buildings that looks very imposing or a series of smaller, seemingly ordinary buildings, which are fortified and possibly connected by a series of tunnels.

In terms of gangs and bandits I would prefer a mean looking structure but that may draw unwanted attention from larger, better equipped military type units. That mean structure would be of little use against tanks and rpgs. Also from the air it would be much easier to spot a fortress type structure rather than a compound of smaller buildings. Thanks for any suggestions.
The Following User Says Thank You to skinnersone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2008, 02:27 PM
Packed and nowhere to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnersone View Post
My question is whether you would build a fortress type buildings that looks very imposing or a series of smaller, seemingly ordinary buildings, which are fortified and possibly connected by a series of tunnels.
Tunnels worked very well for the Japanese in WWII. They still lost, but that was inevitable.

Who is going to build these tunnels?
Old 08-14-2008, 02:34 PM

perhaps look a roman , medievil defensive structures if you wnat to go big or american fire bases if you want smaller. think layers and fields of fire not just with firearms but bows and arrows and spears to.

thats my 4 pence worth
Old 08-14-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatebugs View Post
Tunnels worked very well for the Japanese in WWII. They still lost, but that was inevitable.

Who is going to build these tunnels?
I would dig them myself with my old tractor and backhoe and a bobcat. Would be using 5' culverts as my tunnel sections.

And wolfen I definately am considering that route. Check this one out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fortbourtange.jpg.

Kind of suspicious from the air if you have some scouts flying around searching for a new target.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:09 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 42,267 Times in 5,790 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Conventional looking fortified buildings connected with tunnels.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Fideli Certa Merces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
Conventional looking fortified buildings connected with tunnels.
+1

Make sure that you have an escape route too - you wont win a fight with a military unit.
The Following User Says Thank You to JR2980 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Rifleman

Have thought about building with logs? The walls of a log structure can be as thick as you want them and not draw unwanted attention.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highpower For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Semper Fidelis

I'm building my BOL under a thick deep bluff, I haven't been out there in awhile but it is a good BOL.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:24 AM
I love this forum

A 'compound' is just a well-fenced farm that the government doesn't like.

Build a farm, not a compound.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:17 PM

If I had a place to build I'd make it look plain Jane with natural obstruction's like rock fences, thorny hedge rolls with shooting lanes and the tunnels I'd build them so I could flank or come behind who ever comes to me with escape hatches. One RPG in a house and your house is gone. More then likely you will be out numberd and out gunned have a plan to lead them into your trap by flanking them or comeing up behind them or have them chase you to an ambush point.something like that.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Being Prepared

Don't forget higher is better from a tactical point
Old 08-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,893 Times in 694 Posts

If possible, It is always better to go underground. To not be found is your best chance for survival.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,471 Posts

The 5' culvert pipes sound like a great idea for tunnels ,however cul. pipe would cost a fortune to support a tunnel of any considerable length,if money is not an issue,go for it. Also remember that rock walls and boulders may slow the advancement of enemy vehicles,but they will also provide the enemy with cover when they are shooting back at you. My dream compound would have a brick main house ,aluminum sided barn(painted earthtones) for storage and livestock feed etc. , a chicken coop, a greenhouse for year round vegetables, multiple generators,solar panels ,a stocked pond ,hopefully a creek running through the property, 3 or 4 g.shepperds /dobermans to patrol the inner compound. Flood lights with motion detectors throughout the property.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,451 Posts

my plan is make the house that i had planed in make a home a fortness thread .but with a wall around the house like in a old southwest style home with two levels home with a flat roof to have the small greenhouse area and small growing area for small food growing in a bucket typle set up with a couple dogs at night running free inside the home center area
my other part of the plan is make a garden area outside the home with a fuit trees and garden land set up with chicken coop and other livestock area outside on a 80.acres of land with pasture set up for livestock gazeing as need
Old 08-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Inglourious Basterd

Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,471 Posts

Yeah I forgot about the fruit trees.I live in Ohio,so i think that apple trees are about the only thing off hand that will grow well in this climate.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:00 AM

Keep it low profile. Also, I suggest reading "Patriots surving the coming collaspe" by James Wesley, Rawles. It has some great ideas for when the SHTF. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to kimrobkimrob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnersone View Post
Pro’s and con’s:
If you build an imposing fortress, your average day person who is hungry most likely will be wary of an imposing structure. But gangs/bandits/rogue military, their eyes may light up and think that if someone has gone to that much trouble then something in the place is worth taking and they may want the place for themselves.

Less imposing structures/buildings, for the hungry common folk, they may think that it would be easy to break in. While the gangs/bandits/rogue military may break in or they may pass it. So I suppose you would want to have good security in one form or the other.

I suppose the thing you want to think about is, do you really want people who pass by your place to have some visual clue and remember your place, that could be bring trouble down the line for you later? Nope.

For me personally if I was doing something like that. I would go for a simpler structure(s) in appearance, but make sure that it was very well built, that it could stand quite a bit of force.
As for fences I would have my main perimeter fence, but then I would have a wire/metal type fence surrounding the main structures, that way you can see what is happening to their perimeter fence, and while the wire/metal fence may not stop bullets and the like, the people who are trying to break through will have to trying and get through that as well. So if it is a surprise attack and you haven’t realized that people have breached your perimeter fence, at least you have that little extra time to gather your weapons etc to defend yourselves.

Added: I just read other people posts. Stoneunhenged said make out that your place is a farm, I agree, it would maybe take the governments eyes off you if they took interest in your area. And if you did build a inner fence you could just say it is to keep out the chickens (obviously free range) from running into your house and/or to stop the cat from attacking the baby chickens. Or make up some other thing like that.

Last edited by Arwen; 08-18-2008 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: added an extra paragraph
Old 08-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Limpin to safety.

Thanked 16,788 Times in 4,592 Posts

We live on compounds/farms out here.

My 2 cents is this. The Government won't raid unless they have a good reason to. Substantial or not. You can get rich by having your rights violated. Just as the Child Molesting Mormons when the FBI botched that raid.

Your legal and Patriotic right is to be proud that you live on a compound. Just remember that you do not have the legal right to murder someone that is not an immediate threat. No dogs.

Most people do not realize that serpentine wire is tensioned. If you cut it, it will fly out and turn you into soup. Also this raises your property insurance. =-(

Mark your drive ways every 50 yards with something not obvious. Fence posts, ect. This helps when zeroing in your scope. Most raids are supposed to be when you least expect it, however never are from where you wouldn't expect it. Another words, the creeping through your woods to sneak up on you , doesn't happen. They come speeding down your driveway. Discretion isn't the "zombies" strong point. You can set up motion camera's and a little chime anytime someone comes down your drive way.

This will let everyone know someone is coming. Also good for company, guests, family, or anyone else. If you have only one drive way in, defend that area. Again, they wont come in on helocoptors and trek through your woods for 2 weeks. They will at best come at night.

Back up generators or solar power is a must.

Build your last man standing spot at the highest elevation on your property. If possible make it hard for any vehicles to easily drive beside or into your home. Keep your bug in bag here.

The only other advice I have is this. Its your home. Its not mine its yours. I have no exit plan. If I have to die, so be it. I would have a safe place for my family, but if I am in a battle at my last stand, then its to late anyways.

Also do drills. Set up Mighty Mule gates and other remote control gates to slow anyone down. Never leave your home open to anyone. By law you have to if you still have city power or water. Either get your meter moved or get off the grid. Go to your local sheriff department. You can legally Post your land for no trespassing. This gives you a TON of legal breathing room incase something does go bad.

Also Echoing Arwin, if they can see your house from the road, then you probably already messed up. Be the locked gate that no one thinks about. For all they know its just a hunting club property. Discretion is your key to survival. Be the right hook no one saw coming and pray that its a knock out punch.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2008, 02:06 PM
bad grammar deal with it

i would suggest something nondescript. you dont want to stand out. build a gauge steel gate with some square plates welded to it. next build a cattle guard like structure buried into cement have two heavy gauge steel pipes the you can use to prop against the plates to reinforce the gate.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,635 Times in 1,451 Posts

thanks guys i did not think of that one with cattle guard items