Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 03-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Tu ne cede malis.

Default Bolt-Action Rifle in 7.62x39

Advertise Here

I am curious if anyone in the forum has experience with a bolt-action rifle in 7.62x39. I am interested in picking up a bolt-action rifle in this caliber to supplement my current firearms while also allowing for cheaper target practice than with my .308 rifle.

I am also seeking such a rifle because I have yet to decide on an AK brand and model to purchase. I am looking to familiarize myself with the cartridge and begin setting aside some surplus ammunition with the eventual goal of having the bolt-action rifle serve as a backup to an AK platform. Also, I think such a rifle would serve as an excellent compliment to my current scout rifle in .308. My end goal is to have an M1A Scout Squad backed by my .308 scout and an AK platform backed by a bolt-action 7.62x39 (not likely to be in scout configuration). Whether I purchase an M1A or AK first has yet to be decided.

I am aware of the CZ 527 and have read several reviews on it and watched several videos of it in action on YouTube, and it seems like a high-quality, high-value firearm. I also saw that Ruger has an M77 Hawkeye Compact in 7.62x39 as well. Does anyone have experience with either of these bolt-action rifles in 7.62x39? What about experience with any other bolt-action rifles in 7.62x39? I would also consider a combination gun that has one barrel chambered in 7.62x39 or a single-shot platform such as a break-action or falling-block action.

I should note that the retail price of the rifle does not serve as a limiting factor in my decision, but I will use price as a factor among many to determine overall value. With that said, I am open to any and all suggestions in any price range.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Boolit Master

Savage Arms

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCMSCOUT/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to res45 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Getting there....

Man! A Savage with iron sights in 7.62x39! That would be a keeper!!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,930 Times in 2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by solinvictus View Post
Man! A Savage with iron sights in 7.62x39! That would be a keeper!!
their scout rifle with reciever peep sightes is available in 7.62x39
Old 03-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Tu ne cede malis.

I am aware of the Savage, but I don't know of anyone that has actually used one in 7.62x39. The only posts I could find were simply recognizing the availability of the rifle.

I am hoping that someone out there has some experience with a 7.62x39 bolt-action rifle or even a non-semi auto version using the cartridge.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,752 Posts

.308 is $6 a box if you reload. 7.62x39 is $5 s box to buy. You would need to shoot over 200 rounds to break even.

The homemade 308 will shoot much better than the 7.62x39.

Cheap bolt action rifle practice, get a 22lr.

Need to get good at shooting long range, you need to use the same gun. Wind drift and bullet drop is noticeably different between those 2 rounds.

I shoot military matches with a SKS rifle, the difference is big past 200 yards versus the.308 M1A rifles. It make me work harder and I'm not there to win, If I was I wouldn't be toting a SKS. I do pretty good at time versus some M1A users. Some trey ot nit pick my equipment when I beat them with a $250 rifle. The SKS has been worked on, but nothing wild. Trigger work, crown cut, stock fitting, and some sight modifications.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,752 Posts

If you want a good long range bolt action rifle that is cheap to shoot, look no farther than the .223.

The cheap 7.62x39 will not produce wonderful results. For a bit more moeny, 1-1.5 MOA tighter shooting .223 can be purchased.

Bolt action 7.62x39 rifle can have problems firing the primer in the 7.62x39 ammo. The primers are harder to strike to prevent the ammo from firing while the bolt is closing. AK and SKS can have the firing pin to stick a bit, causing a light primer strike while the action is cycling and this may happen before the bolt closes. You do not want to be anywhere near a gun that does that. That is why 7.62x39 uses hard primers.

CZ 527M is designed to fire this type of ammunition.

.223 has much more selection in bullets to choose from. I reload 7.62x39, there is probably 1/20th the bulets available than compared to .308 or .223.

Take a good look at savage .223 rifles.

Going back to 7.62x39 rifles, eithet the CZ or savage will treat you well.

I'd pass on the scout model. Scout scopes are optically inferior to traditional 4" eye relief scopes. You are paying an extra $100-150 for scope. On top of that I believe the savage uses the williams peep sight.

That sight uses soft aluminum materials and holds the sight adjustment with a clamping screw. I had 3 different williams sights just like the savage scout scope. They all come loose way to easily, even when babied. A marlin 336, a thompson center omega muzzleloader, and a browning BLR. All of them came loose with-in 20-100 shots. Besides, if you scope the gun, the sight is useless. I would definitely get a rifle with a iron sight, but if it's going to live with a scope on it, it doesn't need to be a fancy sight. Just a durable sight that will hold zero.

I have a chinese type 26 SKS rifle with the scout mount an a leupold M6 long eye relief scope. I shoot roughly 1.5" groups at 100 yards with golden tiger ammunition.

The Saiga rifle is about $400 new. It has a detachable side mount scope base that accepts standard 4" eye relief scopes. Make sure you use va shell deflector with the scope mount. This is the civilian version of the AK-47 rifle. With some simple tools and $100 in parts, it can be turned into a AK-47 styled rifle. I have one with a scout mount and an eotech 512 red dot. It shoot roughly 2" groups at 100 yards with either wolf or golden tiger ammo.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,303 Times in 2,036 Posts

Only one gun you really need to think about if your going to be shooting the "surplus" cheap steel cased ammunition from China and Europe...CZ-527. Not only does it have a more robust extractor to handle the steel cased ammunition the gun also features a .311-.312 barrel not the typical .308 diameter barrels that are on American guns. Over Seas ammunition almost always features the .311 bullets where is American ammunition almost always features .308 bullets. While thats only a .002 to .003 difference which seems miniscule it will make a difference in accuracy and pressures if you start shooting the Over Seas made ammunition in American made guns in this caliber. Additionally the CZ guns are very well made guns. Spare magazines for the guns are a little more pricey and harder to come by but as previously mentioned, these guns are made to handle this particular type of ammunition.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,505 Times in 4,837 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
Only one gun you really need to think about if your going to be shooting the "surplus" cheap steel cased ammunition from China and Europe...CZ-527. Not only does it have a more robust extractor to handle the steel cased ammunition the gun also features a .311-.312 barrel not the typical .308 diameter barrels that are on American guns. Over Seas ammunition almost always features the .311 bullets where is American ammunition almost always features .308 bullets. While thats only a .002 to .003 difference which seems miniscule it will make a difference in accuracy and pressures if you start shooting the Over Seas made ammunition in American made guns in this caliber. Additionally the CZ guns are very well made guns. Spare magazines for the guns are a little more pricey and harder to come by but as previously mentioned, these guns are made to handle this particular type of ammunition.
I try to make People aware of this every chance I get. Thank you for saving me the Effort. Someone will be along shortly to tell you that what you say is not True, just ignore them.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Tu ne cede malis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
.308 is $6 a box if you reload. 7.62x39 is $5 s box to buy. You would need to shoot over 200 rounds to break even.

Cheap bolt action rifle practice, get a 22lr.

Need to get good at shooting long range, you need to use the same gun. Wind drift and bullet drop is noticeably different between those 2 rounds.
I should clarify my position somewhat. My interest in a bolt-action in 7.62x39 also stems from my preference for bolt-action, lever-action, and break-action guns. I have significant experience on several platforms, and I am looking for more than just bolt-action practice; I also want to familiarize myself with the 7.62x39 cartridge while I remain undecided on a future AK purchase.

I do not currently reload, and truthfully, I am not interested enough in reloading at the moment to purchase equipment. I do see it as a useful skill, and somewhere down the road I will move in that direction. This forum will likely be the first place I seek advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
If you want a good long range bolt action rifle that is cheap to shoot, look no farther than the .223.

The cheap 7.62x39 will not produce wonderful results. For a bit more moeny, 1-1.5 MOA tighter shooting .223 can be purchased.

Going back to 7.62x39 rifles, eithet the CZ or savage will treat you well.
I am not really interested in .223. Perhaps someday when I have my other firearm desires fulfilled, I will purchase an AR variant. Results, in and of themselves, are not really my goal either with this purchase. As addressed above, my goal is to familiarize myself with the round. However, I would certainly want the most accurate rifle chambered for 7.62x39 as I could find.

I agree with you on the scout configuration. One scout is enough for me at the moment. I wish Trijicon would come out with an ACOG-style scout scope with variable zoom from 1.5x to 4.5 x or so, and I would consider setting up another platform. My current .308 scout uses a Leupold that came as part of a package from Mannlicher, and the Leupold seems to be the premier forward-eye relief scope on the market.

Thank you for all of the information, and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I will probably end up purchasing the CZ because of the great reviews it receives.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM
Tu ne cede malis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
I am curious about the other side of your discussion. If the CZ is barreled for the surplus foreign ammunition, how will it handle the .308 diameter American bullets with the excess tolerance?

Thanks for your help. This is the type of information I am seeking prior to making a purchase.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Young Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollreeMappEsq View Post
I should clarify my position somewhat. My interest in a bolt-action in 7.62x39 also stems from my preference for bolt-action, lever-action, and break-action guns. I have significant experience on several platforms, and I am looking for more than just bolt-action practice; I also want to familiarize myself with the 7.62x39 cartridge while I remain undecided on a future AK purchase.

I do not currently reload, and truthfully, I am not interested enough in reloading at the moment to purchase equipment. I do see it as a useful skill, and somewhere down the road I will move in that direction. This forum will likely be the first place I seek advice.

I am not really interested in .223. Perhaps someday when I have my other firearm desires fulfilled, I will purchase an AR variant. Results, in and of themselves, are not really my goal either with this purchase. As addressed above, my goal is to familiarize myself with the round. However, I would certainly want the most accurate rifle chambered for 7.62x39 as I could find.

I agree with you on the scout configuration. One scout is enough for me at the moment. I wish Trijicon would come out with an ACOG-style scout scope with variable zoom from 1.5x to 4.5 x or so, and I would consider setting up another platform. My current .308 scout uses a Leupold that came as part of a package from Mannlicher, and the Leupold seems to be the premier forward-eye relief scope on the market.

Thank you for all of the information, and I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. I will probably end up purchasing the CZ because of the great reviews it receives.
So...you're spending $800-900 to familiarize yourself with a round that is

A. Not optimal for a bolt action rifle that is
B. Designed for a $500 rifle.

You want an AK, get the AK. You want a bolt action rifle that is similar to a bolt action .30-30, get the 527.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roaver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,671 Times in 951 Posts

The Ak round in a bolt action is just not that big of a demand item. It will use a really short action, shorter than 223. Could probably rebarrel a savage rifle in it.

Poking around you can get the rossi single shots in 7.62x39, a much cheaper alternative.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:45 PM

I like the idea but who not just get an sks and a hell of a lot cheaper and iv got a Buddy who get but a grouping about he size of a quater at almost 400 yards with his sks. Semi auto beat bolt
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 PM

I love my little CZ 527 carbine. It's light, handy, reliable, and quite accurat. My only complaint is that I don't really like the safety. Rear for fire and forward for safe. This isn't necessarily bad, just different than ost other current production guns, at least here in the states.
The Following User Says Thank You to wvdoc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,303 Times in 2,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollreeMappEsq View Post
I am curious about the other side of your discussion. If the CZ is barreled for the surplus foreign ammunition, how will it handle the .308 diameter American bullets with the excess tolerance?

Thanks for your help. This is the type of information I am seeking prior to making a purchase.
Well with 2-3 thousandths of a inch in diameter play it will function fine enough safely but I would suspect that accruacy while it may be acceptable at shorter ranges will be ho-hum at best at ranges beyond.

When handloaded with proper sized bullets and consistent powder charge weights, this round is very capable of turning out some pretty dang good accuracy at 100 yards. You wont quiet get that kind of results with the "surplus" steel cased ammo but in a quality gun you can come suprisingly close!
The Following User Says Thank You to LuniticFringeInc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Born to prep

Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,012 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Go to Russian American armory’s web sight and see what they offer. RAA is the importer of the Saiga rifles.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:07 PM

Saw this and thought about my lil carbine from Australia International Arms model m10A-2. I got one of the first imported before the ban due to teak wood stock from Vietnam and metal from North Korea (supposedly). It is chambered for the 7.62 x 39 round; it is built on the enfield pattern (jungle carbine) and takes AK 47 magazines. I prefer my AR anyday to the AK platform; however living near the city of Detroit I wanted something that would take and use the ammo from any possible shtf losers that rely on their pray and spray rifle of choice...can go out take their magazine and slap into my rifle and use it right away.

I have the scope zeroed at 200 meters...a good range for that cartridge. It looks and functions great..people at the range look on at a bolt action rifle that has a 30round magazine, harris ultra light bipod and 3x12x56mm scope.

pro: uses cheap ammo, 7.62 x 39 widely used in Detroit at most crime scenes
con: limited real world use, prefers soft nose to fmj for proper feeding into chamber.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Prepared

How about a Stevens 200 in .308, then use a Chamber adapter to shoot 7.62x39.
That way you can shoot both calibers in one gun.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,893 Posts

Just buy the ak or sks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post: