Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 03-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Default My homemade Hooch (alcohol) methods

Advertise Here

I have been making this for years and it is always a big hit at get-togethers and parties. Cheap and simple. The materials for a fermentor are about $10-15 at any home center: A 5 gallon bucket with lid and some clear tubing. I use 3/8" O.D. tubing. Drill a 3/8" hole in lid and run the tubing from there to a glass of water. I use a spring clothespin to hold it. This is known as an airlock. If alcohol is exposed to air you get vinegar.

I have varied the ingredients a great deal depending on what I have but the basic recipe has never failed me. Boil a pot of water and slowly add in until it dissolves 12 cups of sugar. Pour this into your clean bucket and add cold water until it is about 3" from the top. LET COOL to at least 110 degrees. Yeast is a living thing and doesn't like to be boiled alive. Add 2-1/2 tsp. of plain old baking yeast from Wallyworld. Yeast needs nutrients so I throw in a few multivitamins while water is boiling. Sometimes a handful of cornmeal, a gallon of grape juice, apple juice, whatever is on hand. Your airlock should be bubbling in a few hours. It is okay to pop the lid off now and then to take a look if you want. You want to keep air out so if I do open it I shake it a bit to get it bubbling and remove the air. About 90% of the alcohol comes in the first 3 days. It would taste like crap at this point. Once you cool it down the fermentation stops and it settles to become clear but yellowish. In winter I just put it on the deck. Summer I put it in the fridge. Warning: this stuff is strong! At 12-15 percent it is 3-4 times stronger than beer. I like to flavor it with frozen juices, candy flavoring or the old stanby: Kool-aid.

I started making this out of frugality and cheap old man syndrome. Over the years it has become a fun sort of hobby. Drink up and enjoy!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to loadingzonebar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 01:09 AM
Recent Blog:
I have nothing to say

Not as cheap, but here's my homebrew recipe.

Per 6.5 gallon fermentor I use:

9 pounds of honey
4 gallons of apple cider
5 cans of Tree Top apple juice concentrate
One quart of yeast starter, EC 118 plus a little honey, AJ and concentrate

Combine ingredients in sterile container, pitch yeast, airlock, and wait six months. You should wind up with 15% cyser/mead that you should rack into one gallon bottles to age for a while. This isn't the cheapest way to go, it will run you about $2.50 for a 750mL bottle, which is the going price for 2 buck chuck, and you don't have to do any work for that. Show up and pay cash, yer done.

I guess it all depends on whether you want to do it yourself or not.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peak_oil For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 AM

Interesting. Could this stuff be used as a fuel?

I'm not crazy enough to put it in my old car, but I was thinking along the lines of maybe winter heating or cooking.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:00 AM
camps in trees

Thanked 1,518 Times in 685 Posts

Buy a gallon of natural fruit juice. Has to be natural with no preservatives.
Pour about a cup out of it.
Pour in 2 cups of sugar.
Put cap on and shake up.
Remove cap and pour in one pack of yeast.
Put ballon over top.
As soon as ballon inflates poke one hole in it with a straight pin.
Wait about 2 weeks and have fun.

Grape or apple juice works and tastes best imho. Started making that stuff when I was 14. Since started making stuff for real and not to just get lit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo71665 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 11:11 AM

This is just for drinking, couldn't be used for fuel without distilling which here in the U.S. takes a BATF license. From what I have researched though, the permits are not that hard or expensive to get anymore. There is a dairy farmer near me who grows his own corn for feed. He uses some to make alcohol for fuel. Has to be mixed with gasoline, but that is to make it unfit for consumption and therefore not taxed the same. Might be my next step.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,167 Times in 2,472 Posts

I use to make a bunch of wine... it is easy to do..

basic hardware

and

I like the one way airlock..it lets the gas out and keeps bugs out
Old 03-24-2012, 02:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,185 Posts

These are great! I'm jotting them all down.

I found something online last year that you might like also (Peach Brandy). this is made with left over peach pits and peels from when you do your canning.

here's the youtube that "splains" it.
The guy is kinda sweet. Love the sand on his pants in the opening shot.

Not tried this myself yet but will do it this year.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 PM
camps in trees

Brandy is distilled wine. Without a still its just aged peach wine. No need to bury it and using the pits in it I can't see it being very good.

I actually have 5 gallons of real peach wine from last year I need to try.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:53 PM
A Round American Woman

From what I know about canning, those peels and added sugar are gathering yeast, and if that isn't processed, then the yeast is going to make alcohol and carbon dioxide.

So why do the jars not explode?

My husband has a "ding-a-ling" sister who thought she was going to "can" some peaches. She "put-up" 100 quarts with sliced or halved peaches and poured sugar water over the top. She doesn't like peaches so she gave them all away to unsuspecting relatives. My husband's father was the recipient of more than 30 quarts and it took him a very long time to clean the mess in the back of his truck when every single jar exploded.

She never measured the sugar and water, had no idea that you needed to heat it on the stove, she thought that you just put the peaches in and cover with sugar and water and that was "canning". Sad part was there were 3 canning books in her kitchen, left by her mother, she grew up around her mother canning and she was 25 years old at the time, not young, not old. but gggeeessshhhh!!

So why are they buried??
Old 03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
camps in trees

My guess is the pressure on the jars from the packed dirt and the lid gives a small bit. I've heard of guys doing it and the jars to bust. Or the lightest tap with a shovel when digging them up and they explode.

Point of it being buried is just a controled temp and no light. I have a fine working hvac and cover mine in towels. No real need to bury it and turns out fine.

I think that way came about as rednecks with no self control wasn't so temped to drink it as early. Allowing the wine to age. If they aint looking at it all the time they forget about it.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:57 PM
Prince of All Trades

This is very old school. Saw a lot of this back in my childhood, and this guy in the video seemed to know what he was doing.

The jars do vent OUT, the jar lids are not screwed on tight. The steel plate and all the dirt and plastic protects them from the shovels when you dig them up and animals that may smell the fermentation. This system uses cool, dark, no air and a lot of time instead of a water lock and room temp for a few weeks.
Stupid simple is a good thing when you are dealing with home made food.

My great grandmother would take the processed liquor from the jars and freeze it in the winter, then skim off the ice and toss that out. The end result was a very high proof brandy that would take the top of your head clean off.
I have tried this system (and the ice processing) with home made mead, and the resulting Diremead is legendary.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Syncline For This Useful Post: