Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 PM
VIP Member

Default Fish antibiotics

Advertise Here

I've been interested in learning if the antibiotics available for fish are appropriate for human use. We know the lable says "not for human consumption". Yesterday, I had one of my dogs at the vet and brought along a bottle of fish-mox and asked her about it.

In her opinion, the biggest difference was in the manufacturing process. Obviously compounds for humans have to pass a rigorous level of quality controls mandated by the FDA. The same is not true for the fish based drugs. She opined the manufacturing process was way less stingent and the drugs could be "dirty". Obviousy fish mox is dumped into water than is far less than clean.

In a SHTF scenario if its all we got, its got to be better than nothing.

Just my 2 cents...
The Following User Says Thank You to brookman007 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Recent Blog:

Don't know about anyone else, but I used the Fish Mox amoxicillin 250 mg. around Christmas this past, for a sinus infection, and don't know if it was that, or the sinus decongestant, but I was greatly improved in a couple of days (which usually takes me 3 or 4 to get over). Guess maybe everyone is different.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cocodrie11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,114 Posts

Brookman, please search out some of our past discussions on this. I've been using fish antibiotics for several years. They're identical to those labeled "For Humans". They work. I was able to find a picture of my "fish" amoxicillin on the internet in seconds; it was with all the other generic forms. Right now I have around 600 assorted fish antibiotics and plan to get more. For one thing, it means I don't have to waste time at the doctor (and no bbbiiiggg bill). Some of the clinics, such as CVS, won't give antibiotics unless the patient tests positive for strep. They're following CDC guidelines, which means some paper-pusher in Atlanta decides what medicine you can have. Not this rebel.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SouthernSassy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Prepared

First, do you know how to tell if you have a bacterial infection or a viral infection?

VERY generally speaking, a viral infection will result in full body pain while a bacterial infection is localized (for instance only your right ear and throat hurt).

That said, I have used fish mox twice in the past 4 years with positive results within 3 or 4 days.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theTway101 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 09:03 PM
VIP Member

Guys/gals.. I agree she said nothing around the compounds being different in dosage or efficacy. Her only comment was around the manufacturing process. Further, I think part of the reason these are labeled not for human use is due to the potential for overuse, thus increasing the risk of drug resistant strains.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Prepared

As with any antibiotic you need to make darn sure you use it enough to actually kill off the infection. A couple of days is a bad idea for most standard antibiotics in pill form. Cipro, if taken in enough dosage might do the trick in five days of so. If you don't get the infection completely resolved you risk creating a resistant strain in your own body. So, read the proper dosage and do the whole thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to falconbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 PM
This is a great survival forum

Used fish mox personally, worked great. FYI, you need to take 1500mg a day to treat a sinus infection. (2x250mg) 3 times a day=1500mg Fish mox has (100) 250mg doses per bottle.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 AM

HAVING NOT READ THE ENTIRE THREAD.....

Funny, I was literally signing on to write about this very topic!!!

My Uncle is a vet and I was asking him about animal antibiotics (Don't know if there's a difference between animal and aquatic) and he said the animal antibiotics and the human antibiotics are exactly the same. He said his distributor that he uses for medications and stuff has a "human" side and an "animal" side and sometimes when they don't have something in stock in the "animal" side they order it from the "human" side and transfer it over to the "animal" stock before sending it to him.

That being said I ordered fish antibiotics and they came in the mail the other day..

My ex-gf's mom is a pharmacist, I spoke with her about dosing requirements and stuff. She too confirmed that antibiotics are antibiotics. The animal antibiotics are the exact same thing as the stuff we get at Walgreens.

I ordered mine from aquaticpharmacy.com, they advertise pharmacutical grade fish antibitotics.

EDIT: Be aware that dosing requirements for antibiotics is done by body weight. Example: I wiegh 170lbs and took 500mg of Amoxicillan 3x a day for 10 days recently for an infection in my mouth. That does not mean I would take the same dose for Cipro or Doxy... There are plenty of medical personnel around here that can help if you need to take antibiotics.

**I'm not a Doctor, use fish antibiotics at your own risk.**
The Following User Says Thank You to 1USD For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 11:32 AM

I have been using fish antibiotics for years on myself and my dogs. Makes sense that the manufacturers would use the same formulas for animals and humans rather than having multiple manufacturing processes.
The Following User Says Thank You to mikew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Fit&Prepared

Fish antibiotics are the way to go. Amox 500mg 3x a day for 7 days will clear up severe sinus infections which plague me 1-2x a year.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:23 AM

I haven't ever used them but have done a bunch of research on them, and have some stocked up for SHTF scenarios. Just make sure the ones you get are USP - Pharmaceutical grade. And don't use them unless you really know how to dose them and what to use not use them for. Worst case is you could give them to so someone in your family or yourself who has an allergic reaction and ultimately someone could die. I have a nephew who was 2 and got a prescription filled from the doctor for amoxicillin and he had never had antibiotics before. He broke out in huge blister/welts all over his entire body. They had to take him to the ER, it looked like the plague, it was freaky. So just be smart about it.

I get mine from FishMoxFishFlex and have been really happy with them.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:09 PM

You can buy quite a few different types of antibiotics at your local feed store. they are labeled as being for livestock and their concentrations are typically different than the ones intended for humans. But their active ingredients are essentially the same as others have mentioned.

1USD mentioned that meds are typically weight based, and this is generally true. So you have to be careful with that when using concentrations of meds that were intended for animals weighing 3-5 times what a human weighs. and also remember that most dosages are mg/kg, so convert your weight in pounds to kg to make sure you dont calculate out a dose that is way too much for your size.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,427 Times in 903 Posts

Check out http://armageddonmedicine.net/?p=581 Dr Cynthea Koelker. Good info on fishmeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny367 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 19,239 Times in 6,826 Posts

Went ahead and ordered $118 worth of Cipro, Amox, and Tetracycline from Cal Vet...

Figured better safe than sorry. Prices can go no where but up if a prepping frenzy catches on...

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
The Following User Says Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM
One of YHVH's sheep

Thanked 21,597 Times in 8,549 Posts

I used fish mox, for a bladder infection and it worked. I keep a stock of them for itshtf. They are not a cure all, but sometimes antibiotics can save your life.

As far as them not being under the regulations of the FDA, so they might be dirty, Have you read the labels on our food, lately? The FDA does not care about our health. I understand that we need regulations, but they do not insure that we have safe food or drugs, so taking fish antibiotics does not bother me.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 PM
That's "Ma'am" to you

Thanked 5,596 Times in 1,679 Posts

I'm not too worried about how "dirty" fish meds might be. Fish are VERY sensitive. You can kill them just by cleaning the outside of their tank with glass cleaner.
The Following User Says Thank You to yappat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocodrie11 View Post
Don't know about anyone else, but I used the Fish Mox amoxicillin 250 mg. around Christmas this past, for a sinus infection, and don't know if it was that, or the sinus decongestant, but I was greatly improved in a couple of days (which usually takes me 3 or 4 to get over). Guess maybe everyone is different.

Upper respiratory infections are almost always viral. This is why anti-microbial drugs have to be regulated, because people use them irresponsibly. This is also why these drugs that are so crucial to modern medicine are becoming ineffective.

Last edited by the_viking93; 03-29-2012 at 09:20 AM.. Reason: Added the quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM

If you want to use these drugs after society fails, by all means do what you want. However as long as society is still functioning please have a doctor or P.A. make the decision if these drugs are appropriate. Not necessarily for your welfare, but for mine and my future children's. This is why there are so many drug resistant bacteria now.

Just wait until all these pathogens associated with the third world come back because we can't treat them anymore.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_viking93 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 13,751 Times in 5,493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboy View Post
Went ahead and ordered $118 worth of Cipro, Amox, and Tetracycline from Cal Vet...

Figured better safe than sorry. Prices can go no where but up if a prepping frenzy catches on...
Did the same but from another place. Got to keep those fish well. I really think prices have already increased a bit soince my last order. Im sure they will since it was mentioned last week on NG Preppers, and hope the government doesn't put a stop to keeping fish healthy.
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Hi Everyone,

We have been researching and writing about this issue for a longtime now. In fact our original article on fish antibiotics and expiration dates was published on survivalblog in July 2010. Here are a couple of articles to get you started:

http://www.doomandbloom.net/2011/11/...tm-part-1.html

http://www.doomandbloom.net/2011/10/...-collapse.html

Here is a video we made on fish antibiotics:

http://www.doomandbloom.net/2012/03/3082.html

If you have any questions regarding these issues we are happy to answer them,
Nurse Amy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NurseAmyDrBones For This Useful Post: