Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default Remington Wingmaster for $400?



Advertise Here

I got a chance to buy a excellent condition Remington Wingmaster in 12 gauge for $400. I am currently shotgun-less and need to get one. I was planning on just getting a Remington 870 express for $300 from "Richard's" Sporting Goods but figured if I got a chance to get the nicer shotgun for just $100 more I should do it. What do you guys think? I really don't know the models of Remington shotguns. Is the Wingmaster definitely the way to go in this situation? Thanks
Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Eagle Scout Dan's Avatar
Eagle Scout Dan Eagle Scout Dan is offline
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,463
Thanks: 152
Thanked 916 Times in 451 Posts
Default

Wingmaster is high quality, hardwood stocks (not the laminate junk ones on the express), it has beautiful blued barrel and reciever (not the bead blasted matte ones on the express). They sell for $600 and up for new I believe... Looks like that's a deal... got any pics?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
AK15-T AK15-T is offline
Is that all?
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Alaska
Posts: 674
Thanks: 1,457
Thanked 569 Times in 265 Posts
Default

My uncle had one, and it was a little nicer than the 870 express maybe, however I think maybe it only took 2 3/4" shells? I would say buy new, but it seems like Remington's quality has gone downhill a little. The 870 express I bought brand new in 2010 has finish problems, not to mentions lots of sharp edges that can slice a finger open in the receiver, I have a few scars from cleaning it!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 AM
merlinfire's Avatar
merlinfire merlinfire is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,763
Thanks: 17,136
Thanked 20,486 Times in 6,340 Posts
Default

Personally I wouldn't pay $400 + tax for a pump gun. Just me though.

But then...the Kel-tec KSG is shipping.....
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
m47dragon's Avatar
m47dragon m47dragon is offline
Wire Guided
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northern Michigan
Age: 42
Posts: 907
Thanks: 2,433
Thanked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Default

That is a good price for a Wingmaster in good to excellent condition. An advantage of the Wingmaster over the Express is that it has the same barrel retaining nut as the Police models making the addition of a magazine tube extension much easier. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate trying to get this particular shotgun for less than the asking price
The Following User Says Thank You to m47dragon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m47dragon View Post
That is a good price for a Wingmaster in good to excellent condition. An advantage of the Wingmaster over the Express is that it has the same barrel retaining nut as the Police models making the addition of a magazine tube extension much easier. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate trying to get this particular shotgun for less than the asking price
hehe I did.....I offered $350. He stuck firm. I am gonna go look at it in 30 minutes.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default

And yes he did send me pics. It looks perfect. very minor blemishes on the stock and one tiny one on the receiver. I would rate it at least 98% from the pics.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
Personally I wouldn't pay $400 + tax for a pump gun. Just me though.

But then...the Kel-tec KSG is shipping.....
Haha I understand. I have had some Mossberg 500's and Remington 870 Expresses and both were very functional and reliable. I am just looking for something with a little bit better fit and finish. I am willing to pay an extra $100 for that. $300 more for a brand new one than a 500 or 870 express.....not so much
Old 03-23-2012, 11:34 AM
shootnstarz's Avatar
shootnstarz shootnstarz is offline
Stargazer Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 1,056
Thanks: 916
Thanked 1,023 Times in 495 Posts
Default

I had one offered to me for $150, back about 98. It was essentially new having fired only 5 rounds. Like to broke my hand getting my wallet out. Bought the shotgun, 28" VR mod, and 2 boxes of shells minus the 5 he shot. It's still in the back of the safe and I still haven't shot it.

$400 seems a bit high but the gun will last a lot longer than the few extra bucks you'll pay will last if you don't buy it.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to shootnstarz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Slim2634's Avatar
Slim2634 Slim2634 is offline
Romans 3:23
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 240
Thanks: 341
Thanked 153 Times in 83 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz View Post
I had one offered to me for $150, back about 98. It was essentially new having fired only 5 rounds. Like to broke my hand getting my wallet out. Bought the shotgun, 28" VR mod, and 2 boxes of shells minus the 5 he shot. It's still in the back of the safe and I still haven't shot it.

$400 seems a bit high but the gun will last a lot longer than the few extra bucks you'll pay will last if you don't buy it.

Rick
Saw a near-mint 60's Wingmaster for $700 at the show and the guy I was with said it was decent price. Only thing wrong was the red recoil pad was dry rotted. He ended up finding one for 375$ with more blemishes but still near mint.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Well I bought it. I will get some pics up by the end of the day. $400 was the TOP I was gonna pay for it......that being said. it is VERY nice. Nicest shotgun I have ever owned thats for sure. I am happy with the purchase. I am gonna get a 18.5" barrel to use for HD and SHTF and keep the 26" for birdies and clays.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:37 PM
RogueSpear2023 RogueSpear2023 is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 930
Thanks: 6
Thanked 534 Times in 332 Posts
Default

I bought my 11-87 Super mag for $400OTD, I am not sure if it is worth it, but it may be to you, any reason you aren't looking at a Mossberg 500? Even the Maverick 88 is great shotgun and can be found under $200 new. Unless you are taking it hunting I am not sure I would pay that much for a pump shotgun, if it's for SHTF, the definitely not.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueSpear2023 View Post
I bought my 11-87 Super mag for $400OTD, I am not sure if it is worth it, but it may be to you, any reason you aren't looking at a Mossberg 500? Even the Maverick 88 is great shotgun and can be found under $200 new. Unless you are taking it hunting I am not sure I would pay that much for a pump shotgun, if it's for SHTF, the definitely not.
I pheasant hunt every year on our family farm in North Dakota so yes it will be used for hunting. And to be honest these sell for over $600 brand new and this one looks new and hardly used and I got it for $400. Mossberg 500's are $279 and while they are good shotguns they are not in the same league as the wingmaster. I am ok with paying the extra 125.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
JackBohm's Avatar
JackBohm JackBohm is offline
Michigan Gun Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern MI
Posts: 801
Thanks: 729
Thanked 288 Times in 218 Posts
Default

How smooth is the action? Some of the newer ones feel like a bucket of Gravel. And is it Choke Tubed?
Old 03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBohm View Post
How smooth is the action? Some of the newer ones feel like a bucket of Gravel. And is it Choke Tubed?
The action is smooth as butter.....still trying to check a date code on it. It is not choked tubed.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default

I checked the date code and mine was made in 2006. The fit and finish are superb. I bet the guy didn't even put 50 rounds through it. Said his dad bought it for him to try and get him into hunting but it failed. Anyways here are some pics of my new acquisition:







Old 03-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Eagle Scout Dan's Avatar
Eagle Scout Dan Eagle Scout Dan is offline
Scout Motto - Be Prepared
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,463
Thanks: 152
Thanked 916 Times in 451 Posts
Default

Looks like an awesome gun Ranger.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Dan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 07:29 PM
Hick Industries's Avatar
Hick Industries Hick Industries is offline
Live Secret, Live Happy
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Star Killer Hollow
Posts: 8,154
Thanks: 6,631
Thanked 12,731 Times in 4,662 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
I got a chance to buy a excellent condition Remington Wingmaster in 12 gauge for $400. I am currently shotgun-less and need to get one. I was planning on just getting a Remington 870 express for $300 from "Richard's" Sporting Goods but figured if I got a chance to get the nicer shotgun for just $100 more I should do it. What do you guys think? I really don't know the models of Remington shotguns. Is the Wingmaster definitely the way to go in this situation? Thanks
I purchased both a 12 ga and a 20 ga wingmaster over the last 16 yrs or so. I always felt the better gun was worth the small price increase.

If the action is sound, and if it's built for 3" mag shells, I think you did well.

If the barrel is not threaded for Rem Chokes, you might want to pattern it and decide if you like how it patterns.

If you are hunting pheasants you likely want the pattern to remain effective at 35-40 yds (unless you have a lot of runners) with a #4-#6 high brass load. I keep my 12 ga choked at modified for pheasant and I no longer try shooting the ones that run and jump up past 40 yds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Ranger375's Avatar
Ranger375 Ranger375 is offline
Humble Coffee Maker
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rocky Mountains
Age: 30
Posts: 1,869
Thanks: 698
Thanked 2,180 Times in 874 Posts
Default

Heck yeah man.......I have been hunting pheasants since I was 8 years old and prefer the #4 myself. I will have to take her out this year and see how she competes with my cousins beretta O/U and my other cousins Supernova. I bet the wingmaster smokes em
Old 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM
JackBohm's Avatar
JackBohm JackBohm is offline
Michigan Gun Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Southern MI
Posts: 801
Thanks: 729
Thanked 288 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger375 View Post
I checked the date code and mine was made in 2006. The fit and finish are superb. I bet the guy didn't even put 50 rounds through it. Said his dad bought it for him to try and get him into hunting but it failed. Anyways here are some pics of my new acquisition:
No, its older. Long before 2006, it would have been factory fitted with Choke tubes- and the checkering is of the older style Pressed type. But on the bright side, it should be smooth to start with.

Regarding the date, I have a brother and a few friends in the Fine Gun room at work - I'll get a rough idea on age for you.

I think you did fine on the price. Nice gun. If you decide to swap out barrels, well they can be had easily.

Last edited by JackBohm; 03-23-2012 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: Added last line
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remington 870 Wingmaster Genetologist Shotgun Forum 10 07-20-2010 03:19 PM
just picked up a second hand 870 Wingmaster Katrina Guy Shotgun Forum 22 11-28-2009 09:38 PM
Remington 870 express or 870 wingmaster dont know what to get KneeMoe Shotgun Forum 12 07-22-2009 03:08 PM
How much is a Remington 870 wingmaster? DaggerD Shotgun Forum 0 12-19-2008 12:32 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net