Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 32,000 Times in 6,731 Posts
Default Slow sand filter plus berkey filter in 5 gallon bucket

Advertise Here

There are some kits out there that sell something like a berkey filter, 2 - 5 gallon buckets and spigot.

What would happen if you took 2 - 5 gallon buckets, put a single black berkey filter in the top bucket, then filled the top bucket with sand?

Drilled a hole in the lid of the bottom bucket, set the top on the bottom.

Would the sand extend the life of the black berkey filter?

Or would the sand reduce the life of the berkey filter?

Each black berkey filter has a rating of somewhere around 3,000 gallons. I am going to guess that is with clean water. So would running the water through the sand to help clean it increase the the life of the filter?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,818 Times in 2,699 Posts

any type of pre-filter as a rule will extent the life of your filter, maybe not much, but extend it for some length of duration it will, depends on the type of pre-filter and the tpe of filter and the source of the water
The Following User Says Thank You to 223shootersc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 04:37 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,318 Posts

I use a sand filter with my ceramic filter cuz I get water from the big muddy and without a prefilter I would be stripping down and scrubbing the filter every other bucket of water. but I made a sand filter and let the water drain through a sieve into the top filter bucket then I just have to replace the sand when it gets silted up. I stock bags of play sand for the filter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Great idea with the play sand. I am going to try it out.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,661 Times in 670 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

The sand would extend the cleaning time interval as it would act as a prefilter. However, the carbon aspect of the black berkey is what requires you to replace it so often and the sand would do nothing to extend the lifetime of the carbon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Son of the Republic...

Given the reported problems with the Black Berkey filers...Have you considered perhaps using a bucket full of activated charcoal, instead of sand? I'm thinking about making my own pre-filter using a 5 gallon bucket of straight activated charcoal. And then running that water through my regular Berkey filter elements. What I'm trying to figure out, is how to contain the small particles of activated charcoal, to keep them from running through the holes, into my bottom bucket? Maybe I could use the regular Berkey filter elements, and surround those with the activated charcoal? Hmm...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-lb-Pound-...item27c129042e

Zulu Cowboy
The Following User Says Thank You to Zulu Cowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 10:20 PM

Am i missing something?

everyone keeps talking about Berkley filters and 1,2 or 3 thousand gallons it can filter.

but i bought this and it filters up to 1 million gallons.
http://www.rei.com/product/786393/sa...system-2-liter
and far less money and evn the upper better filtration one they have is only $100 more.

So whats the hype on Berkley??
The Following User Says Thank You to Lascivious1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 PM
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly

Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,237 Posts

Only problem is that it would be a little harder to get to the berkey if you had to condition it. I'd use pool filter sand. Much finer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chuckbyf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Alert Today~Alive Tmorrow

Thanked 4,295 Times in 1,585 Posts

I can understand using sand or charcoal as a pre-filter, but doesn't the filter sock that's typically enclosed in these kits serve the same function?

Quote:
The Texas Baptist Men have enhanced their Just Water Ceramic Filter by also developing a pre-filter sock and a spigot.

The sock, which fits over and protects the filter, can be secured with a rubber band. Itís used in areas with extremely turbid water that has contaminants such as fish scales or fecal matter. And the spigots provide a handy, easily installed faucet

With ceramic water filtration kits like the one below, there's no reason people in third-world countries have to drink unpotable water anymore. I should market these in mexico

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Filthy_McNasty For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Prepared

Very good info available here for those wanting to use charcoal.
This is for activated charcoal used in distilling alcohol but info should apply across the board.
http://homedistillation.com/send-a-blank-email/

I tried to attach and upload this file but the upload fails.
Source above has been safe for me as far as I can tell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freebird1st For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,050 Posts

I find my sand filter to be lacking. I have a good large sand pool filter(filter sand changed yearly) and, if I run some green algae water through it.. it blows out green water after filtered. I'm sure that any prefiltering is going to help the final filters life but, I would try charcoal.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:26 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 14,468 Times in 5,777 Posts

Why not have the two bucket set up as Kev suggested, and filter the water through sand without a Berkley filter. After you do a "sand filtering", then place the water in your big Berkley - would be a quantity of trash removed through the sand filtration.

Seems this would keep the one Berkley filter cleaner versus placing it under the sand
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lascivious1 View Post
Am i missing something?

everyone keeps talking about Berkley filters and 1,2 or 3 thousand gallons it can filter.

but i bought this and it filters up to 1 million gallons.
http://www.rei.com/product/786393/sa...system-2-liter
and far less money and evn the upper better filtration one they have is only $100 more.

So whats the hype on Berkley??
Well, Anyone gonna comment?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lascivious1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Old Noob

Thanked 4,934 Times in 2,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post

What would happen if you took 2 - 5 gallon buckets, put a single black berkey filter in the top bucket, then filled the top bucket with sand?

Drilled a hole in the lid of the bottom bucket, set the top on the bottom.

Would the sand extend the life of the black berkey filter?

Or would the sand reduce the life of the berkey filter?
Did I miss something here? How does the water get from the top bucket into the bottom bucket?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlgoRhythms View Post
Did I miss something here? How does the water get from the top bucket into the bottom bucket?

There is a hole drilled into the bottom of the top bucket. The filter is placed inside the bucket with the exit port coming out the bottom of the top bucket. That allows the clean water to fill the lower bucket.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
The sawyer is a great product but it is designed for a slightly different use case. Many of your berkey's are large containers that would LOOK good in any kitchen where as the sawyer products would look more at home in a backpack. The sawyer products are probably better filters but they lack the carbon element the black berkeys poses.

If you want my opinion I chose sawyer any day of the week over berkey. But I'm not going to proudly display it in my kitchen either and I have invested in additional tools to carbon filter the water the sawyer produces.

To each their own. The Berkey is a fine product (if you get one that was manufactured properly) and has its place.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Prepared

I thought the reason charcoal has a limited life span as a filter is that once water runs across it, bacterias start to grow on it.

So after XX days, the charcoal isn't as effective even if you ran only a little bit of water through it.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampwood View Post
I find my sand filter to be lacking. I have a good large sand pool filter(filter sand changed yearly) and, if I run some green algae water through it.. it blows out green water after filtered. I'm sure that any prefiltering is going to help the final filters life but, I would try charcoal.
If your sand filter is doing what your saying then something is out of place. I had that happen after 10 yrs of excellent performance and had to replace the internal parts. They get cracked and pushed out of position. Dump it and see what's going on inside. Have a good swim...
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I'll have to check that out. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Hunter

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsican View Post
I thought the reason charcoal has a limited life span as a filter is that once water runs across it, bacterias start to grow on it.

So after XX days, the charcoal isn't as effective even if you ran only a little bit of water through it.
Think of the surface of activated carbon like you think of a ceramic filter. Its porous. As the various chemicals and other debris from your source water are absorbed by these pours the begin to get full. After a certain amount of time they will be completely clogged and thus less effective at absorbing additional materials. But they can't be cleaned off like a ceramic filter.

So how long an activated carbon stock lasts before it needs to be replaced is really a function of how much it is used and how dirty the water is that it is used on. The 6 month period is really more a rule of thumb then an absolute.