Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Default Water well Drilling Rig rental / DIY drilling

Advertise Here

There are many people wanting to drill there own water well on there own land they own or on land they have leased. Please check your local laws and permit requirments, and water rights.

LAND OWNERS OPTIONS
1. Call driller out of yellow pages and get Gold nugget price quote, with the only guarantee you get from them is they promise to cash the check before the sun goes down. In all 50 states, by law no driller is required to hit or guarantee water, or quality of water.
2. Buy a cheap china toy rig off ebay, these will not hold up, and will only do the job if you have water at 150ft or less and no rock or hard dirt. 3. Buy or rent a water well drilling rig, one with API standard options and real drill pipe. If you only need one well, this may not be a good option to buy, but rental may have a place.

Renting a drilling rig is a great option for land owners or people who have land leased. For Rig rental you must be the land owner or lease holder of land. Drilling your own water well is not for everyone, but if you don't mind working hard and saving 80% of the cost of a water well, then renting may be for you
For more info and pictures go to http://drillcat.com/rig-rental.html
The Following User Says Thank You to freewyoming For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Trapper

Guessing 3 has limitation for depth also? Thanks i didn't even think renting was an option
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 PM
17 Oaks Ranch Tx

Thanked 4,466 Times in 1,988 Posts

1) CAUTION, CAUTION is the pass word here.

2) Do you homework or it could well be one of the biggest $$$ mistakes you have ever made. Where I live a well and pump house runs abut $20k. Drive a few miles and drill your own. I pull water at 628 ft, well depth is 728. Few miles away you can dig you own well and use a windmill for the pump. KNOW the underground features of where you want to drill!!!!!!!

3) Snapping off a drill bit or twisting drill pipe can leave you with major wallet damage when you go to return the rental!!!!!!!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SavageSun 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 09:27 PM

Or if your water is 30' or less you can knock a point down by hand.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:07 PM

I used to log geotechnical samples pulled up from a drill rig. No way would I ever rent one and do this work on my own. Way to dangerous for me. Hats off to the guy that pulls it off though with no prior experience running one.
The Following User Says Thank You to bpeltzer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggenius29 View Post
Or if your water is 30' or less you can knock a point down by hand.
In my area knew it was clay then shale type rock then a sandstone bed. I dug about 5 years ago now. Mostly clay and slop the first 10ft, once at 12ft always had water coming in, went down to 16ft, 3 foot and unlined as I dug - althought I did it over a couple of weeks to see if it would cave in while I was not in it.

Being at the bottom of a 16ft, 3 foot wide unlined hole is not a nice place to be. Plus it was a real pain to dig in such a narrow hole. In the end, just did not want to go deeper.

If I was doing it again, I would make it 4-5ft in diameter, dig 4-5 foot and put a cast iron hoop in and then brick up, then dig under the hoop to let gravity lower it and keep bricking up. It is how they used to do mine shafts in my area and is a lot safer than digging in an unlined hole.

Mine normally has 4 ft of water in, enough for what I wanted at the time - watering the garden, did not have any structures on the land at the time to collect water off.
The Following User Says Thank You to Borsch Dorks Gorge For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,406 Times in 614 Posts

Kinda funny.

I put in 2 points in 2 afternoons for less than $100 and no one knows it.

The water table here is at the surface during the rainy season. That's one of the reasons I have to garden in containers.

This year I might pump the water to the street to drain the lot.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 PM
Trapper

The best drill rig out there is a churn drill rig.
http://www.tractor-manuals-downunder...llingrigs.html

Over the years i have seen many still around in back yards at farms and ranches.

Many people still use them for bailing sand and mud from there wells.

Set up right you can go down over 1000 feet with one.

The down side is they are slow.

The next best is a deep rock manufacturing M60 rig with a down hole hammer drill.
http://www.deeprock.com/HD/frmM60.aspx
http://www.drillcat.com/bits

Once you have your own wells you can always drill wells for others and do ground pollution test holes and geothermal heat pump system wells.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
The next best is a deep rock manufacturing M60 rig with a down hole hammer drill.
http://www.deeprock.com/HD/frmM60.aspx
http://www.drillcat.com/bits
From what I've heard first-hand, and read elsewhere, there are some folks who have deeply regretted purchasing from the outfit in Marquez, TX that calls itself Deeprock.com. Here's an example: http://www.deeprockdrilling.com/

Also, drillcat.com and deeprock.com appear to be run by the same person(s), thus drillcat's hearty endorsement of deeprock products. Of course, one does not readily discover that mutuality from looking at their websites. It takes a bit more digging.

Just a heads-up for those looking for honest information.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Trapper

The friend that has and uses a deep rock rig for exploration drilling bought his way back in 1989. back then deeprock was a very good rig.

and its been highly modified for down hole and diamond drilling.

plus he is a highly skilled driller with many years experience.

this is likely a case where someone is illegally using the company name and is now building counterfeit junk

i know from the friend of mine that the drill rod was never built by deeprock but that they bought it from another company.

The address i have in my files is 2209 Anderson Road
Opelika, AL 36801-9701

I understand that the TX scammers have even used the photos from the old deeprock company web site.

They do not own the federaly registered name of the old deeprock company and are in hot water over that.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,239 Times in 3,957 Posts

When we lived down by Flagstaff we had one dug for us, Paid 42.00 a foot for it. We had them go down to 1780 feet. That was over 74,000. Then a month later we get sued From an Indian group that is from down in Phoenix. Seams that the level they talked us into going for we don't have rights to, and neglected to tell us(the drilling company) then they sent the info down to the Indian group. They made us cap off the well and could not use it.

So not only did they go past the mark we could use, they then turned us in so we could not use the well at all. I guess our water rights even thought we had them were not good at that distance because it was there water even thought they were over 100 miles away. What a joke. Now we have our own Lake and a river that runs by us, plus 14 wells on property for most of the outbuildings.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascals View Post
When we lived down by Flagstaff we had one dug for us, Paid 42.00 a foot for it. We had them go down to 1780 feet. That was over 74,000. Then a month later we get sued From an Indian group that is from down in Phoenix. Seams that the level they talked us into going for we don't have rights to, and neglected to tell us(the drilling company) then they sent the info down to the Indian group. They made us cap off the well and could not use it.

So not only did they go past the mark we could use, they then turned us in so we could not use the well at all. I guess our water rights even thought we had them were not good at that distance because it was there water even thought they were over 100 miles away. What a joke. Now we have our own Lake and a river that runs by us, plus 14 wells on property for most of the outbuildings.
That is horrific! Did you recover any of your money from driller? Is he still in business? That's an extreme example of why many folks don't trust drilling contractors.