Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Target Shooter

Default Can a paintball marker be used succesfully for home defense?

Advertise Here

I may have to move to Mexico and will not be able to bring my firearms with me. I want to know if a paintball marker can be used as a home defense weapon if loaded with 68mm glass marbles? I would raise the PSI of the marker to the max to tweek all the power out of it.

Specifically, I have a tippmann x7 electric model with semi and full auto modes.

I know they sell pepperballs. But, they are very expensive. I was thinking marbles would be a little more cost effective. Or is this something that I'd be better off biting the bullet and getting the pepperballs?

Anyhow to give you an idea of the marker I'm talking about it's the same type used in this video. Mine has a folding stock and a 200 round hopper. The idea would be to temporarily disable the intruder in order to get away or disarm them. This would be backed up by a taser, oleocapsicum pepper spray, and a fixed blade fighting knife. I had a really bad experience in Mexico and really don't like the idea of being unarmed.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Hiker

not going to happen bud

*edit

you could always hook up with the cartel and have the gubment sell you some guns?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diluted For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Recent Blog:
Wendigo

Thanked 33,870 Times in 10,801 Posts

Police would shoot you. Nobody knows who the good guys are or who aren't over there.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Target Shooter

I agree. It sucks. I'm just trying to think out of the box and figure out how to protect my family. I think it might work against a normal unarmed home invader. Backed up with the taser, pepper spray and knife.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Recent Blog:
Wendigo

It does, my brothers wife and son moved back to Mexico City for 2+ years so she could get her paperwork in order to be here legally. They are back now thank God. I would get to know your neighbors off the bat first off. Saftey in numbers.

Guess where are you are moving to is a major factor. Northern states are seeing much more violence.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Target Shooter

We may try and move to Canada as an alternative if we can immigrate there. But, in the meantime. It's Mexico.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 PM
Recent Blog:
Wendigo

You can go anywhere you want to if you have the will. If you have the will you will find the means. In the southern states it is a bit safer than north. Canada is a nice place also if you can put up with people always saying "eh" at every turn and sentance.

i.e.-- eh, how you doing today, eh? It, eh, eh, glorious day, eh.....eh ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Limping Crow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,583 Times in 1,014 Posts

You want to use a non-lethal toy to defend yourself in Mexico.
Seriously? You sure you're not trollin?

Short of shooting someone dead in the face, all you'll do it **** someone off if you hit em with a few dozen paintballs. Trust me. I may still have scars from being smoked point blank during a tournament bunker rush, but the thought of being hit, never, even for a single instant, ever detered me from breaking cover.

If you think you can use marbles, you need to research a bit more. It won't work. You'll never get a seal tight enough to block enough air LONG enough to impart ANY kind of velocity on it. Unless you're talking about powering the system with a 150lb scuba tank.

If you're living anywhere in Mexico short of the US Embassy, don't bother with a PBG. Get soem real weapons. You can be damned sure anyone who wants to do you harm will have them; and probably full auto.

//I played semi-pro paintball over the course of 7 years when I was young and in share. I have some experience in monkeying around and shooting silly sh1t out of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to SunwolfNC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunwolfNC View Post
You want to use a non-lethal toy to defend yourself in Mexico.
Seriously? You sure you're not trollin?

Short of shooting someone dead in the face, all you'll do it **** someone off if you hit em with a few dozen paintballs. Trust me. I may still have scars from being smoked point blank during a tournament bunker rush, but the thought of being hit, never, even for a single instant, ever detered me from breaking cover.

If you think you can use marbles, you need to research a bit more. It won't work. You'll never get a seal tight enough to block enough air LONG enough to impart ANY kind of velocity on it. Unless you're talking about powering the system with a 150lb scuba tank.

If you're living anywhere in Mexico short of the US Embassy, don't bother with a PBG. Get soem real weapons. You can be damned sure anyone who wants to do you harm will have them; and probably full auto.

//I played semi-pro paintball over the course of 7 years when I was young and in share. I have some experience in monkeying around and shooting silly sh1t out of them.
That's easy to say. Look up the penalties under Mexican law for owning illegal firearms. The cartels might get away with it, but I doubt the average gringo will.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlasphemousBill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Target Shooter

Unfortunately, I'm not trolling. Other than an "Illegal" firearm that would get me landed in a Mexican prison. What would you use for home defense in this situation? They do have Pepperballs for paintball guns. I guess I could shell out the money. There are also glass rubber coated paintballs that work well in a paintball gun. They are just really expensive.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:06 PM

Frozen paintballs.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Maximus

Thanked 14,072 Times in 6,231 Posts

CAN and SHOULD are two different things... I CAN win the lotto. SHOULD I play it....
Old 03-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedley_mandingo View Post
Frozen paintballs.
I heard the rumors and I think mythbusters did a show on this idea. Further, it's not practical for my purposes. I'm not going to run downstairs and tell the bad guy to wait a minute while I get the frozen paintballs out of the freezer so I can shoot you. I want something I can keep loaded at the side of the bed ready just in case.

The more I think about it. I think I'm gonna have to spend the money on the pepperballs and/or the glass balls that were used in the video.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Anyone seen my dog?

Forget the paintball gun, and go Medieval on them. Lots of non firearm weapons that have neturalized a great many people. Think bow/arrow, crossbow, sword, mace, axe (a favorite), lance, flail, and the list goes on.
You can hang them on any wall and now, presto, they are decorations. Add a shield (bullet proof if you are so inclined) and that should help you inside the home.

Hope this helps
The Following User Says Thank You to ray charles For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 AM
VA / NC

Thanked 15,824 Times in 6,182 Posts

Thought one of our federal bureaus supply those going to Mexico with weapons.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:12 AM
Fringe Element

Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,397 Posts

If I were forced to resort to a paintball gun for self defense, I'd try to figure out a way to
make paintballs loaded with a contact poison of some sort, or possibly a concentrated
cyanide solution.

Of curse I'm sure that would be even more illegal down there in Messico where the
Gummint only exists to protect the Narcos so that the Mexican pigs can stay supplied
with Mordidas, anyway... And, if you blow it handling The Stuff, well...

I don't suppose just staying out of Turd World bug-holes is any kind of an option?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 AM

Check out the FN 303 it can kill with the impact rounds.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:40 AM
Prepared

Unless you're planning to be defending against tiny dogs or small children I'm guessing the answer is no.

Would a bow not be a better choice?
Old 03-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,157 Times in 2,134 Posts

Why put yourself in that position?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,857 Times in 2,725 Posts

better than a fly swat, but not much