Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Hiker

Default Is there design for chicken coop nest where the egg rolls away?

Advertise Here

Could be a dumb question but was wondering if anyone has ever seen a coop design where if the chicken lays an egg perhaps there is a sloping path where the egg could roll away to be kept cleaner?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,335 Times in 1,870 Posts

Not unless you could potty train the chickens to lay their egg in the hole of the chute. Intriguing idea but only feasible in the cartoons where they can disregard basic physics and physiology.

Now watch some genius come up with a working model.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 04:57 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 14,534 Times in 4,309 Posts

That is how most commercial producers are setup. The cage the chicken lays their eggs in is slightly inclined and the egg rolls out onto a conveyor usually a conveyor with rollers. It's been awhile since I've been inside a commercial chicken barn so it's hard to say what they have now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 04:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,783 Times in 2,976 Posts

Commercial egg companys have a cage system like rabbit breaders do. But the floor of the cage is slanted down twards the front (slight slant). The egg is lain in the cage and rolls slowly to the front of the cage and out onto a lip that sits in front of the cage.

There is an opening along the front of the cage high enough to alow the egg to roll out onto the lip in the front of the cage. This keeps the eggs clean.

However, if it is a cleaner egg that you want, I put saw dust (left over from a friends personal wood mill) in their box once a week and the eggs come out almost perfect. I give this couple a couple dozen eggs a month for the saw dust.

Start your prepping community now!

God bless and keep on prepping.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ramona M. Faunce For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 05:00 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 14,534 Times in 4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grump View Post
Not unless you could potty train the chickens to lay their egg in the hole of the chute. Intriguing idea but only feasible in the cartoons where they can disregard basic physics and physiology.

Now watch some genius come up with a working model.
We had a metal layer over 50 years ago that would let the eggs roll out to be collected in the front.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:07 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Walker View Post
That is how most commercial producers are setup. The cage the chicken lays their eggs in is slightly inclined and the egg rolls out onto a conveyor usually a conveyor with rollers. It's been awhile since I've been inside a commercial chicken barn so it's hard to say what they have now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona M. Faunce View Post
Commercial egg companys have a cage system like rabbit breaders do. But the floor of the cage is slanted down twards the front (slight slant). The egg is lain in the cage and rolls slowly to the front of the cage and out onto a lip that sits in front of the cage.

There is an opening along the front of the cage high enough to alow the egg to roll out onto the lip in the front of the cage. This keeps the eggs clean.

However, if it is a cleaner egg that you want, I put saw dust (left over from a friends personal wood mill) in their box once a week and the eggs come out almost perfect. I give this couple a couple dozen eggs a month for the saw dust.

thanks for good info. i was wondering how the commercial operations did this or if they had to wash a lot of eggs. seems like they would still have to sterilize the outside of the shell somehow.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:18 PM

Here's a thread I was just looking at the other day...
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/28...1#post_3499006
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wembley For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 11,375 Times in 4,295 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Looks like these would be super easy to make, and fairly cheap as well
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 05:27 PM
Tired of you people

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Same guy, even cheaper boxes!
The Following User Says Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 09:20 PM

I saw the post on Backyard Chickens as well and didn't do that involved of a project... I have two hens that are egg eaters! So I designed a "coop" for just the two of them. If I didn't need them, I would have culled them, but I have plans for them and in the meantime, if they learn not to eat eggs, I will have accomplished quite a bit! I had a piece of plywood that was 3'x4'. I have 2x4 welded wire fencing available almost all the time so I fashioned a pen for them. What I did was place the plywood on the floor, elevating one end about 4 inches. Then I put the wire fencing over it so that the cage was level and containing the slanted board. I cut the fencing at the end so the eggs could roll out and out of their reach. It works great! Only thing is I have to use a hoe to scrape the board morning and night because I don't want them keel-deep in manure which would keep the eggs from rolling as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lacy blues For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straza View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWuAz0NsE9Y

Looks like these would be super easy to make, and fairly cheap as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straza View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpqZM2K9F0U

Same guy, even cheaper boxes!

i thought these were the best. not too complicated and look like does the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to zbx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 AM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,335 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Walker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona M. Faunce View Post

Now you know how old I am, When I was a whole lot younger I worked for a commercial poultry farm just gathering eggs, Each chicken had its own box and it was lined with straw and sawdust. We hung the basket strap over our shoulder and went down one row getting all the top row eggs, Put the full basket down and picked up the next basket and went down again picking eggs up from the middle row and by the time you made 4 trips you had done the 4 levels, it was time for lunch and you started over again because those boxes had eggs in them again. I don't even want to think about what that did to our lungs back then but I can certainly see why they improved the system. I was working there to late I guess. Anyway I had other things to do, the Navy had places they wanted to send me and things for me to do when I got there. At home we only had 5000 turkeys and a hundred chickens and on that small a scale it wasn't really a problem gathering eggs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Tired of you people

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbx View Post
i thought these were the best. not too complicated and look like does the job.
Take pictures and let us know!!!