Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-14-2012, 08:28 AM

Default Dented Can and Food Safety

Advertise Here

Hello,

First post, but a long-time reader of the forums.

I received my Starter Kit from the LDS Online Store yesterday. One of the cans was severely dented and two had minor dents. I am not concerned with the minor dents, but I have little confidence in long-term storage of the severely dented can.

Here is the email response I received from LDS this morning.
"Because of the weight of these cans, they can sometimes be dented in handling. As long as the seals of the cans are not damaged, their shelf life will not be affected. If the seals have been damaged, please let us know.
RoseE
Internet Customer Relations"

Would you accept this answer and store the dented can or demand to exchange it for a undamaged one? I have a pic of the can to post, but can not upload it as a new registered user.

B
The Following User Says Thank You to ba13e4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Follow your own star

Thanked 3,380 Times in 983 Posts

I do not store dented cans long term.
I eat what I store and store what I eat.
If your rotating your food supplies then just eat them first.But if your one of those who just stores long term and will eat it when SHTF then yes I would have them replace the dented cans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazeleyes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the reply. My #10 cans are for long term storage. I sent a second email to LDS because the dent is long and deep and is right on the lip that seals the lid to the can. I do not trust to store it for 20 years in that condition.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:46 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

I wouldn't store it long term. Open the can and if the metal liner is cracked, don't use it.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Angry ol' coot

Thanked 10,865 Times in 2,758 Posts

Take pictures and send them to the vendor. If they don't replace the cans, use them over the course of the next year, but perhaps find another vendor if you aren't satisfied with their customer service/ and or product.

Was the box that contained the cans dented or crushed? For future reference, examine any boxes you recieve for such damage...that would be on the shipper. Then file a claim against them.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoOzone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 09:08 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

honestly just take it and eat it you gotta rotate through it anyway start there
Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Preparing for my Family

If the dent is on the edge of the can it will be impossible to "visually" inspect the integrity of the seal. I do not use cans dented on the edges for either short-term or long-term use. Ask the vendor to replace the damaged product.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy Steve For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. The box was not damaged. Also, I did send a pic to the company and received the quoted reply as shown above. Wish I could post the pic here as the dent is significant in my opinion. If they don't replace it, my family will be eating pinto beans in all sorts of dishes throughout the next 6 months
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM

Cowboy Steve ... the dent is absolutely along the edge of the can and is quite deep. If they do not replace this, I will not be doing business with them again. I have received many #10 cans from another vendor (The Ready Store) and have never received a damaged can from them.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 AM

if you want undaunted cans go to the cannery in your area instead of ordering them and can them yourself itl be cheaper too
Old 03-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Preparing for my Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJohn View Post
if you want undaunted cans go to the cannery in your area instead of ordering them and can them yourself itl be cheaper too
FJ, I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. First, it implies that if your order cans they ARE going to come dented (not my experience ordering many times through many vendors), and 2) Can goods are frequently offered by online vendors on sale with free shipping as well. So canning yourself locally may not be cheaper if you consider your time to do the canning and gas to get there.

Bottom Line: OP - Don't settle for improperly handled cans
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy Steve For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Steve View Post
FJ, I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. First, it implies that if your order cans they ARE going to come dented (not my experience ordering many times through many vendors), and 2) Can goods are frequently offered by online vendors on sale with free shipping as well. So canning yourself locally may not be cheaper if you consider your time to do the canning and gas to get there.

Bottom Line: OP - Don't settle for improperly handled cans
no the lds canneries are about as cheap as it gets and there several throughout each state typically

and no i was not implying anything but you will get dented cans from time to time and it has to do with the delivery not the maker
Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,578 Times in 2,791 Posts

If I get a damaged product I demand a replacement. No harm no foul. The integrity of cans can be compromised without your knowledge, until you need them. I don't play with food safety.
The Following User Says Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 08:34 AM

LDS responded to my second email indicating that they will replace the shipment and send me a pre-paid shipping label to return the damaged case of cans.

I was pleased with the quantity of food received for the price paid so with this response from their customer service, I would definitely recommend purchasing their starter kit of #10 cans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ba13e4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 12:43 AM
Target Shooter

Open the dented can. If liquid comes oozing out, that means internal pressure caused by organisms growing. It's gone bad; so toss it out,

If pressure seems normal, sniff carefully for any off odors indicating spoilage. Your nose is highly sensitive in these matters. Then boil the beejasus out of the contents. That will denature any botulin toxin. If you are squeamish like me, toss it out.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 AM
Rest In Peace My Brothers

Thanked 27,246 Times in 14,270 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Tin cans used for food processing are often coated on the insde to protect the product from the metal. If the can gets dented, the coating can be damaged. This can lead to rust or corrosion. I'd get it replaced.
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 AM
Asian Newbie

Firstly, I worked in a Canned Food Company, and for my personal storage, I do not store any dented can, I ate them all up - just my personal storage preference.

But, canned food can be dented during transportation, handling or during storage, and that does not affect the life-span or properties of the food, the can be still be stored and consumed before the expiry date (printed on the can).

One matter to take note, if the can was well and later dented by itself (not cause by any parties concerned), those must be replaced as possible chemical reaction (due to the contents) may have taken place within the can which caused the dent to form. As such, the content's properties have changed and may no longer be edible.

Hope my limited knowledge helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to dtcepl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,348 Times in 551 Posts

I have never had a dented can of food go bad ever. You do have the option to make an appointment at your closest LDS food cannery and purchase the items in bulk then can it yourself on the spot and then cart it home in your vehicle completely removing the shipping part. This is what I do. The LDS cannery have very nice people there that help you throughout the entire process and it is cheaper then ordering online.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Lighten up, Francis

Resurrecting an old thread. I recently got my first ever order of #10 cans. (Augason Farms/ Walmart stuff). 3 out of 8 were dented. 1 dented along an edge will definitely go back. Dumb newbie question: Is it ever normal to see a small amount of powdered product on the top of the can, beneath the plastic lid? A few of my cans have a fine dusting of their contents on their metal lid. I assume this means a damaged seal but don't want to stress about it if cans commonly just aren't washed after the canning process. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to queenof3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,847 Times in 32,497 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenof3 View Post
Resurrecting an old thread. I recently got my first ever order of #10 cans. (Augason Farms/ Walmart stuff). 3 out of 8 were dented. 1 dented along an edge will definitely go back. Dumb newbie question: Is it ever normal to see a small amount of powdered product on the top of the can, beneath the plastic lid? A few of my cans have a fine dusting of their contents on their metal lid. I assume this means a damaged seal but don't want to stress about it if cans commonly just aren't washed after the canning process. Thanks!
They don't wash the cans after filling. But I haven't seen any powder on any of mine either. So I don't know what answer to give. I can see how there could be loose powder from the filling process though. I'd give the can a thorough inspection along the seems to see if anything doesn't look right.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post: