Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Awakened Citizen

Default Best vehicle that is easy/cheap to fix? Truck, Van, or SUV is what I have in mind.

Advertise Here

I'm shopping around for a used vehicle and have a question. What is the best kind of truck, van, or suv that is reliable, and cheap to make repairs? Or can be easily worked on by a layman.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:25 AM
DILLIGAF

Thanked 1,451 Times in 615 Posts

silverado z-71 with a 350. parts are everywhere.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,501 Times in 5,625 Posts

The one that everybody else has. Spare bits see.

Here it would be the holden commodore
Old 03-12-2012, 04:46 AM
Expect No Mercy!

I am looking for an older pre electronic, one ton ford. Only because I know fords better to work on. Chevy or what ever flavor you like. All mechanical. Nearly fix them selves.
The Following User Says Thank You to Redneckidokie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,314 Times in 3,901 Posts

just tons and tons of Ford SUVS and pickee-up trucks with 6 bangers .....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:42 AM

The original Jeep Cherokee (the boxy XJ model) with the 4.0 inline 6 cyl. I have had 3 of them and the engines last forever, parts are cheap as hell, They are easy to work on and its hard to get them stuck while wheeling.

The other I would recomend is the old square front (late 80's early 90's) Ford F 150 pick up. I recomend the inline 6 cyl model. Same thing as the Cherokee, strong engine, cheap and easy to fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to LowMaint For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 AM
I <3 NV

Thanked 1,789 Times in 885 Posts

Toyota Hilux. Why you ask? Because they are the AK of pickup trucks. The Taliban use them and do you think they change the oil in their trucks? Hell no because their belief in a backasswards god keeps them too occupied to perform basic vehicle maintenance. They are the cornerstone of third world cavalries and even used by US and other special forces in Afghanistan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux#Reputation
The Following User Says Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

'96-'99 Suburban or pickup with 350. Would prefer 3/4 ton. Lots of parts available at the salvage yards.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,727 Times in 525 Posts

Late 60's to mid 70's Chevy or GMC pickup. Tons of inexpensive parts for small block V8's, huge knowledge base everywhere, huge parts swapping ability among models, no electronics,solid axels in 4x4's, and simple to work on. Same can be said for Fords of that period.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geoffl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Hunter

Almost any older truck/SUV from the mid 1970s to the mid 1990s. That's about the golden age of 4x4s. Aviod IFS, complex engines, screwy transmissions, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brettboat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Trapper

90s suburban or silverado with a 350. Their everywhere (really everywhere, pick a parking lot and there are probably a few vehicles that could be donor vehicles lol), easy to work on, run forever
Old 03-15-2012, 11:58 AM

I'd have to second the older Chevy idea. I have a M1009 that I can pick up 6.2 engines from the gov't auctions for 100-300 bucks. Could always drop in a small block eng/trans if needed later also. Parts are everywhere and in terms of the m1009 fuel mileage is over 20mpgs..
Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokes762 View Post
Toyota Hilux. Why you ask? Because they are the AK of pickup trucks. The Taliban use them and do you think they change the oil in their trucks? Hell no because their belief in a backasswards god keeps them too occupied to perform basic vehicle maintenance. They are the cornerstone of third world cavalries and even used by US and other special forces in Afghanistan.

Ok, never heard of the Hilux before but now I would have to agree after reading about them. Im in the market for a new suv/truck and now i want the hilux. Where do I find one in North America? I would really like to spend no more than 7K but for some reason I get the feeling that will be impossible. Toyota doesn't sell the hilux in U.S.A.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM
camps in trees

Thanked 1,514 Times in 685 Posts

The hilux is just the normal yota mini over here. They started out in the 70s with the name but it wasn't on it anywhere and since it was the only truck they never needed a name. Evolved into to tacoma over here, overseas they kept the hilux name.

My vote is for 85 and older chevy. The can be picked up dirt cheap. Was the last year of non ecm. Even some parts off newer trucks will still easily retrofit. All chevy v8s can swap parts pretty easy. Distributor is on the back of the engine and protected from water splash.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,664 Times in 2,178 Posts

The 89 body style Chevy/GMC pick up trucks.

A vehicle that old will likely need some repairs due to neglect and age but for the most part are pretty easy to work on and parts are everywhere and reasonably cheap. Generally a lot of these such repairs are repairs that wont likely need to be done again for another 15-20 years! For example mine is 21 years old and a couple months ago I had to break into the differential for the first time and only needed to replace a bearing not the rear end gears. To me that says a lot about the vehicle right there.

I find the 5 speed stick shifts to be easpecially easy to work on due to the fact that the computer only controls fuel/spark delivery and very little else. The engine compartment has minimal clutter making it easy to reach components and chanmge them out as needed. You will also get about 3 miles more per a gallon.

Doesnt matter if its TBI or TPI, the 305(5.0l) or 350(5.7l), the chevy small block engine is a great design, very reliable, easily modified and adaptable to after market parts like no other engine on the market. For simplisity sake the TBI is far less complicated and adaptable to tweaking for higher torque or horse power if you need to tow. Despite the unfounded reputation for the 305 TBI engine being gutless, some versions of it can cheaply be made to produce about 375 hp and comfortably over 400 ftlbs of torque and a nice fat power band through out the RPM range! The 5 speed stick transmission is just about bullet proof if the stock or near stock power levels are maintained on the engine.

Most of these trucks can be had in non-4x4 versions on the used car market for 2500-3500 fun dollars depending on how pristine of a condition they are in. Body and interior parts are easily available and plentiful in salvage yards.

The only Achillies Heel I have found on these vehicles in the 5 speed version are:

Hydrualic Assist clutch system. These seems to need to be replaced about every 16-18 months. Labor runs me about 150.00 and the part is a life time warrenty part. It will give you plenty of warning long before it completely goes out on you so you should get stranded or spend more than an hour in the repair shop.

Tail Light Circuit Boards. Chevy no longer stocks this part! Buy OEM ones from a salvage yard!!! Its worth the 50 dollar asking price. The chinese made ones available suck and rarely last more than a week or two although they have a life time warrenty too. Not worth the hassel very couple of weeks. Your money ahead getting them from the salvage yard.

There are 3 different models of Brake Proportioning valves installed on these trucks. One of the three are no longer available period from the factory or the after market. Get a truck with one of the other two models of brake proportioning valves other wise your looking at a very expensive disc brake conversion on all 4 cornners to replace the factory disc/drum brakes installed. These systems are available though but they are pricey and labor intensive and will put your vehicle down for about a week and require a mechanic that is familar/specializing in vehicle restoration and hot rodding for a toruble free conversion.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,501 Times in 5,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoortactical View Post
Ok, never heard of the Hilux before but now I would have to agree after reading about them. Im in the market for a new suv/truck and now i want the hilux. Where do I find one in North America? I would really like to spend no more than 7K but for some reason I get the feeling that will be impossible. Toyota doesn't sell the hilux in U.S.A.
The toyota hilux is a very good vehicle. We have them as our main 4wd over here. But I would not fully import a car that I want to be able to fix cheaply.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Major League Infidel

If you want something to last a lifetime, get something with a cummins diesel engine. They last FOREVER! not cheap to replace parts at the shop but Do it yourself and your good to go. They call it the Million mile motor for a reason, I would look for a 12 valve early 90's or mid 90's they are mechanically injected and easiest to work on. Plus you can make your own diesel fuel on the cheap.

Mine is a 2003 all stock quad cab larime 4x4 I bought it used for 16k with only 108k on the OD and runs like its brand new, only has a few dings and scratches, Its black tough to keep clean on a dirt road, gets Good MPG- 18- mid 20's I haven't had any issues at all.

My father in-law has an 06 with almost 200k on it and he had to rebuild rear end and put breaks and tires on it. rearend cost the $700 which was less then replacing the tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyboy1304 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2012, 02:10 AM
Rock'em Sock'em Glock'em

1970s-ish Ford, Chevy, Dodge. Chevy parts are cheapest, Ford then Dodge. Inline 6es are way easy and you can sit in the engine compartment in the rain and stay fairly dry.
4 speeds! Emp proofness. Old reliable, sold a gazillions in the USA!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:13 AM
Rock'em Sock'em Glock'em

Lightbulb Here is an angle I missed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokes762 View Post

What he said? There is a logic to this!

Last edited by theboonedockssaint; 03-16-2012 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: can could did!
Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 AM
Target Shooter

Hilux's are tough trucks. The CIA brought more of them than any single buyer during the afghan conflict vs the soviets.
Tough tough tough trucks