Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,311 Times in 824 Posts
Default Burying guns

Advertise Here

I don't have one, but I've seen a couple of websites that advertise gun tubes (vaults) that allow you to bury guns in the event the government should ban guns or attempt to seize them (ala Katrina and many other occasions). What's the sentiment here about going to this extreme? Wouldn't it be just as effective to conceal a couple inside drywall or something similar?
Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 PM
Silver Wings

Thanked 19,321 Times in 6,847 Posts

Good question. And I'll be interested to see the suggestions because I want to do just that.

I want to bury some cheap POS guns down a spider hole and tell Uncle Sam to kiss my ass!

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm friendly, maybe

Thanked 10,418 Times in 4,581 Posts

I've wondered about this myself. To me, if I just have 1 or 2 guns I wanted to hide I would make something out of PVC pipe with end caps then wrap in plastic. Something i've been thinking about seriously.
I have a group for those of us who like to prospect or mine for gold. Whether it be the person who just prospects with a pan, uses a metal detector or the person who has a giant trommel. Everyone's Welcome!
www.survivalistboards.com/group.php?groupid=370
Old 03-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,184 Times in 795 Posts

if the tyranny gets that bad, i would put my resources into moving away and hiding rather than be subject to house to house searches.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnWStiner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 1,195 Times in 496 Posts

When you think it is time to bury your guns

it's really time to dig them up!!!

Consequently, buy more ammo that may well impact your future rather than plastic tubes that do nothing constructive.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM

oil those peace keepers well and throw in some ammo, oxygen absorbors (hand warmer packs) and moisture absorber packs (dehydrated clay).

next to that buried cache do the same with a 5 gallon bucket of barley...the roman armies were fueled with barley... and that may keep you alive for 6 months. keep a handful soaking in your canteen...your drinks will be chewy but it will keep you alive as you run between sniping positions. Barley has the highest concentrations of energy, vitamins and minerals of grains. Easier to fight for God, family and country with something in the belly. The only thing more valuable will be oil...tuck some olive oil or palm oil in with that barley and you will be the luckies freedom fighter in the woods.

Our enemies are fighting for power and money... cut off their food supplies and they will go home.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dauser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,189 Times in 654 Posts

I have a couple of caches. I just bought 8" PVC pipe and glue on end caps. I put a rifle, a same caliber pistol, a knife and sharpener and ammo in them. I put in a few other things like fire starter, gun oil, rain gear, a soft back pack, etc. Then I put in a lot of oxygen absorbers and desiccant packs and glued them up.

I didn't bury them because I want quick access, but i have hundreds of square miles of wilderness right out my back door and the only thing I'm worried about is a forest fire. Even then, I could probably retrieve them before a fire got to them.

I painted them camo and covered them with natural materials found on site. I know right where they are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Adapter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Prepared

Default Guns, what guns?

There is everything from sonar buoy tubes to large premade pvc "monovaults" with gamma seal lids to the simple do it youself 6" PVC pipe you seal one end and install a cleanout fitting on the other.
Cheaperthandirt.com and others sell the US army corrosion resistant bags, break it down, grease it up good, seal it in your bag with some O2 absorbers (vacum sealer even better if you've got one), and bury your item vertically so it has a smaller signature to metal detector enthusiasts or you may find you're stashed Mosin Nagant on the next episode of something detectors on Nat. Geo. You won't beat a ground penetrating radar unit but if your good with your OPSEC they'll be no reason for anyone to be looking for it.
Cheaperthandirt and MANY others sell the PVC vaults too but you can build your own easily enough. There are several books on it and I'm sure you can find more info on the net. A posthole auger will work nicely if you can use it without drawing attention to yourself.
The logic against wood crates is the moisture barrier. Properly cached should have some rocks in the bottom to assist drainage. You'll have to account for ground settling after burial and tamp it well and check it later and top it off. I have never buried any myself but have seriously considered burying a rifle, pistol and ammo in at least one location between me any my BOL in case confiscation occurs before I get out. Then at least I have fallback resources for hunting and protection. Buy a 91/30 Nagant for $90 and a cheap Taurus or Llama .38, (Hi-point for that crowd) add ammo and a cleaning kit. Rinse and repeat.....

Last edited by mhneil; 03-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: spelling. of course
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 PM
Old guy who plans ahead

Thanked 3,901 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Wouldn't it be just as effective to conceal a couple inside drywall or something similar?
Consider this. A text book house search for drugs involves stripping the room down to its component molecules, including unscrewing wall outlets to inspect the cavity behind the plate, unscrewing lamps and searching inside the base, disassembling deodorant containers to look for pills or powder inside the container, under the deodorant, etc.

If dogs can be taught to sniff out bombs, they can be trained to sniff out firearms by the smell of oil or powder solvent residue.

If they are serious about serving a search warrant, they will take a metal detector to your walls and rip the drywall down.

Hiding guns inside of drywall might keep em' safe from burglars and thieves, but a serious, well funded, well trained search team will find them.

Places they won't find your guns include:

Buried on property that the deed ISN'T in your name.
Resting safely in a gun safe at an undisclosed friend's house.
Sitting in a locked storage locker that wasn't rented in your name.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 AM

You guys should really keep up-to-date with military technology. Afghanistan and Iraq civilians are limited to 1 gun per household and the only reason they (US soldiers) can maintain that order is through the latest X-Ray technology that has been released. It can see through walls, cars, and I believe down to 10ft below ground. Currently in the process of being used at border check points as well.

In other words, like the previous poster stated, when the searches start is when you will want to have them out and ready to use. Don't be like the others slapping your forehead wishing you could turn back time and do things differently.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galbraith For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Silver Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbraith View Post
You guys should really keep up-to-date with military technology. Afghanistan and Iraq civilians are limited to 1 gun per household and the only reason they (US soldiers) can maintain that order is through the latest X-Ray technology that has been released. It can see through walls, cars, and I believe down to 10ft below ground. Currently in the process of being used at border check points as well.

In other words, like the previous poster stated, when the searches start is when you will want to have them out and ready to use. Don't be like the others slapping your forehead wishing you could turn back time and do things differently.

hmmmm, so a lead shielded rat hole?

what if you wanted to hide a gun/survivalkit so no one but yourself could find it?

Disclaimer: The information I provide is my unaffiliated opinion and not reliable as financial advice. Past performance guarantees SHTF.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,645 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Team View Post
I don't have one, but I've seen a couple of websites that advertise gun tubes (vaults) that allow you to bury guns in the event the government should ban guns or attempt to seize them (ala Katrina and many other occasions). What's the sentiment here about going to this extreme? Wouldn't it be just as effective to conceal a couple inside drywall or something similar?
Well, it assumes that one or two "sweeps" will be made and that's it. It is then assumed that you will retrieve the gun after this initial hardship--otherwise, why even have it, if it's 4' underground when you need it?

So, do you think there will be one or two sweeps and that's it?

It depends on what you think is going to happen.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboy View Post
hmmmm, so a lead shielded rat hole?

what if you wanted to hide a gun/survivalkit so no one but yourself could find it?
I'm sure a radio-opaque inclusion in the ground wouldn't raise ANY suspicion. None at all.

One thing that CAN be done is hiding the weapon underground in its component pieces, and then burying a ton of trash over that area and a few others. If you can make a fire there, and throw your canned goods and other trash in it for 6 months or so, even better, as that will explain the high concentration of nails, forks, cans, etc. that are driving the metal detectors and the like crazy, and they will likely not spend much time on it. You cannot fool a machine, but you can use the fact that people are operating it against the man/machine unit.

The downside is that you now look like hick trash with a huge burned-out spot on your property with a bunch of things in it that should never have been burned that you were too lazy to take to the dump. Pluses and minuses. Personally, I'd pass on that one, but it was a fun creative thinking exercise.

Other options include burying it in a lead-lined box under a very nice looking tomb-stone for a dog, and then peppering your household with pictures of this alleged dog. Make your residence a clear indicator of your affection for the dog. People go ape**** over their pets, and some neurotic person is likely to indeed market a casket for them that you can claim to have bought. "Survive 2012" is a huge theme, so a lead-lined casket to help your pooch's remains make it through a possible nuclear holocaust isn't so far-fetched in today's world of gimmicks.

It's doubtful that they would dig up your dog's casket and throw it open in the light if they had no other reason to suspect. That takes time and you could surely make a huge ruckus about human rights and your pet's rights and on and on. If you are a truly dedicated person, make an air-tight sealed compartment under the main cavity as a hidden compartment and put your weapon under it, and a real dead dog on top of it, JUST IN CASE! Yeah. Go the whole 9 yards. If the dead dog matches the pictures in your house, so much more convincing! It's doubtful they would continue to investigate the "coffin" with you screaming and running around and crying while they desecrate the putrid remains of your Best Friend as they gag and possibly vomit into your lawn over the mutt's stench.

Another thing to consider is that until the UN moves in (if they do) is that these agents are Americans. They know that they are next. Their weapons will be kept ONLY at work, and they have ****ed a lot of people off and they know it. Imagine how safe they feel now? They might not be the most thorough searchers...

Anyway, this was a fun little fantasy adventure. If they want your guns, they will search. If you want to hide them, you will slip a few through. It will depend more on social engineering than on out-witting detection methods, though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 07:16 AM
Silver Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
I'm sure a radio-opaque inclusion in the ground wouldn't raise ANY suspicion. None at all.

One thing that CAN be done is hiding the weapon underground in its component pieces, and then burying a ton of trash over that area and a few others. If you can make a fire there, and throw your canned goods and other trash in it for 6 months or so, even better, as that will explain the high concentration of nails, forks, cans, etc. that are driving the metal detectors and the like crazy, and they will likely not spend much time on it. You cannot fool a machine, but you can use the fact that people are operating it against the man/machine unit.

The downside is that you now look like hick trash with a huge burned-out spot on your property with a bunch of things in it that should never have been burned that you were too lazy to take to the dump. Pluses and minuses. Personally, I'd pass on that one, but it was a fun creative thinking exercise.

Other options include burying it in a lead-lined box under a very nice looking tomb-stone for a dog, and then peppering your household with pictures of this alleged dog. Make your residence a clear indicator of your affection for the dog. People go ape**** over their pets, and some neurotic person is likely to indeed market a casket for them that you can claim to have bought. "Survive 2012" is a huge theme, so a lead-lined casket to help your pooch's remains make it through a possible nuclear holocaust isn't so far-fetched in today's world of gimmicks.

It's doubtful that they would dig up your dog's casket and throw it open in the light if they had no other reason to suspect. That takes time and you could surely make a huge ruckus about human rights and your pet's rights and on and on. If you are a truly dedicated person, make an air-tight sealed compartment under the main cavity as a hidden compartment and put your weapon under it, and a real dead dog on top of it, JUST IN CASE! Yeah. Go the whole 9 yards. If the dead dog matches the pictures in your house, so much more convincing! It's doubtful they would continue to investigate the "coffin" with you screaming and running around and crying while they desecrate the putrid remains of your Best Friend as they gag and possibly vomit into your lawn over the mutt's stench.

Another thing to consider is that until the UN moves in (if they do) is that these agents are Americans. They know that they are next. Their weapons will be kept ONLY at work, and they have ****ed a lot of people off and they know it. Imagine how safe they feel now? They might not be the most thorough searchers...

Anyway, this was a fun little fantasy adventure. If they want your guns, they will search. If you want to hide them, you will slip a few through. It will depend more on social engineering than on out-witting detection methods, though.
How about just bury them under a big abandoned metal farm implement?

That would drive detectors crazy, and no one would want to have to move it and dig around it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to txflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txflyboy View Post
How about just bury them under a big abandoned metal farm implement?

That would drive detectors crazy, and no one would want to have to move it and dig around it...
It's not as cool of a fantasy, there is no morbid element, and it's not nearly as exciting.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,005 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxx View Post
Consider this. A text book house search for drugs involves stripping the room down to its component molecules, including unscrewing wall outlets to inspect the cavity behind the plate, unscrewing lamps and searching inside the base, disassembling deodorant containers to look for pills or powder inside the container, under the deodorant, etc.

If dogs can be taught to sniff out bombs, they can be trained to sniff out firearms by the smell of oil or powder solvent residue.

If they are serious about serving a search warrant, they will take a metal detector to your walls and rip the drywall down.

Hiding guns inside of drywall might keep em' safe from burglars and thieves, but a serious, well funded, well trained search team will find them.

Places they won't find your guns include:

Buried on property that the deed ISN'T in your name.
Resting safely in a gun safe at an undisclosed friend's house.
Sitting in a locked storage locker that wasn't rented in your name.
In a search they have the capability of using portable x-ray equipment on the walls.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Prepared

I have a marlin mod 60 put away vac sealed it in PVC with 250 rnds, knife, and other items I will need. Its hidden away on some land thats on my way to getting home. But I am never unarmed anyway I work Security jobs and have handguns, rifle, and shotgun with me everywhere I go. but im working on burying more just looking for some good spots.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
1 riot 1 ranger

Thanked 1,556 Times in 769 Posts

There is not enough law enforcement to get everyones guns at once. Word would spread like wild fire. That is when you bury the guns and ammo you will not need immediately.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemosabe View Post
There is not enough law enforcement to get everyones guns at once. Word would spread like wild fire. That is when you bury the guns and ammo you will not need immediately.
^Yep. Not enough man-power, and right now, they know if they did this wide-scale the people would not stand for it. They are going to have to dis-arm the country piece-meal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2012, 10:25 AM
+Adcock

Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,079 Posts

Which leads you to what would honestly happen.

They will slowly crush gun ownership in the major metropolitan areas. Like they already are now. The people that are interested in controlling the populace have 0 interest in your farm.

As far as they are concerned, if they have police state cities with a bunch of fly over space full of gun toting red necks they won't care.