Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 03-06-2012, 09:49 PM

Default Sugar storage in mylar...remove air?

Advertise Here

Hello folks. I just received my first batch of mylar bags from one of the merchants listed on this board.

I know it's not recommended to add o2 absorbers to suger or salt, but I was wondering about removing air from the bag.

I loaded one 1 gallon mylar bag and manually removed most of the air, leaving just a little in order for the bag to be somewhat flexable.
I didn't like the "air pillow" effect after the bag was sealed, so I tried using my HVAC vacuum pump to remove air on the 2nd bag I loaded.

I liked the way the bag compressed. My question is this:
Will removing some of the air out via the vacuum create the clumping or hardening i have read about here, or does that only happen as a result of using the o2 absorbers?
I don't want to continue my packaging untill i have a better understanding of the results.I don't want to waste time and product.
thankyou
The Following User Says Thank You to solar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
Look Behind You!!

Thanked 2,258 Times in 978 Posts

I just seal mine up. I try to push out as much air as possible but don't worry about a little left inside the bag. Same with salt too.

it may clump a little but sugar is sugar and at the end of the day it will still be sugar.
The Following User Says Thank You to dhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 104,576 Times in 33,526 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Doesn't matter at all. All you need to do is keep it dry and keep ants out of it. Removing air won't cause it to clump. I think what makes it clump when you use an O2 absorber is the moisture the absorber gives off as it works. It'll clump salt too.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 PM

I just got some mylar bags, too. I have been too scared to use them, though. Like you - I don't want to waste them.

I have beans and rice and flour for mine right now. Thanks for the tip on sugar and salt - I didnt know you can do them without the o2 absorbers.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Hiker

All crystalline materials tend to clump into a solid mass over time regardless of whether they are exposed to O2 or not. That is because the individual component crystals (eg. sugar, salt or some other compound) fuse together as a natural process of crystal growth. I know this from experience of doing scanning electron microscopy on pharmaceutical compounds in a quality assurance job that I had years ago.
Woodchuck
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Woodchuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 11:43 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck View Post
All crystalline materials tend to clump into a solid mass over time regardless of whether they are exposed to O2 or not. That is because the individual component crystals (eg. sugar, salt or some other compound) fuse together as a natural process of crystal growth. I know this from experience of doing scanning electron microscopy on pharmaceutical compounds in a quality assurance job that I had years ago.
Woodchuck
You mean if I put a bunch of tiny, cheap diamonds together, in a few years, they will turn into one big expensive one? Now there's the perfect retirement plan for me!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 12:57 AM

thanks for the info Chuck and others, I appreciate it.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 AM

Sugar and salt will stay good practically forever without any special preparation. Just protect it from pests - put it in a sealed, hard container. You do not need to worry about microbeasties or bacteria degrading the food like other foods, no need to use O2 absorbers or mylar.

Save your $$ and just get some cheapo plastic jars that will keep the ants and such out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fisterkev For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 06:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,321 Times in 3,901 Posts
Default Ditto Ditto Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisterkev View Post
Sugar and salt will stay good practically forever without any special preparation. Just protect it from pests - put it in a sealed, hard container. You do not need to worry about microbeasties or bacteria degrading the food like other foods, no need to use O2 absorbers or mylar.

Save your $$ and just get some cheapo plastic jars that will keep the ants and such out.

Absolutely correct .... must use a FOOD GRADE container however .... salt/sugar will pick up the contaminates and odors just like any other foods ..... if you buy in 4lb packs, remove from paper bags before packing ..... lifetime storage
The Following User Says Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,062 Times in 734 Posts

I leave it in the original paper bag and vacuum seal it.
The Following User Says Thank You to 7.62 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Angry ol' coot

Thanked 11,667 Times in 2,952 Posts

If the sugar is a 'rock' when you're ready to consume it, just use a cheese grater or microplane to return it to a useable state.

BTW-anyone notice sugar is stating to slowly go down in price. Now if peanut butter and chocolate could follow suit.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoOzone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2013, 10:29 PM
More Fun Than People

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOzone View Post
BTW-anyone notice sugar is stating to slowly go down in price. Now if peanut butter and chocolate could follow suit.
Now that is just Torture!! The two most important staples will never come down in price!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:00 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,167 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
I leave it in the original paper bag and vacuum seal it.
That's how I do it, too. Keeps it dry and bug-free.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:39 AM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Dammit newbies, stop resurrecting old threads when you don't have anything to add to them! If you have something to add other than "me too" then please feel free. Otherwise they just add to the clutter.
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 08:18 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 26,447 Times in 7,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Dammit newbies, stop resurrecting old threads when you don't have anything to add to them! If you have something to add other than "me too" then please feel free. Otherwise they just add to the clutter.
Maybe there should be a sort of "agreement" newbies sign when they join, such that they acknowledge the following:

1. Do not start new threads without searching for recent threads first; here's how.

2. Do not resurrect threads older than 2 years unless you have a very good reason for doing so.

3. "Me, too" posts are not informative; indicated agreement through "thanking" a poster.

4 Everyone here is trying to learn as well as pass on what they know. Do not engage in personal attacks, and work to ensure that what you post is correct.

Perhaps each statement would have a checkbox next to it such that a newbie could not join unless she/he acknowledged, through the checkbox, that they'd read it, and if they violate the agreement they get a 3-day timeout?

Easy for me to say, I don't have to moderate it. Just a thought.

My sugar is stored, in the original bags, in 5-gallon food-grade buckets. I can get five 5-pound bags in one bucket. Don't know how many 4-pound bags I could get in one.

There actually is an official survival guide, but you have to write it yourself - and edit it as the situation changes - and revise it as you learn from your mistakes - and start all over again when things change again. (AceScanner)
The Following User Says Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2013, 08:42 AM
None

Thanked 72,337 Times in 17,007 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
We've got a couple of newbies right now who must think there is an award for resurrecting old threads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post: