Rock Island Armory GI 1911 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Island Armory Armscor 45ACP 1911 Handguns from $359.99 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 04-30-2015 08:10 AM
Rock Island Armory Armscor 45ACP 1911 Handguns wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 04-01-2015 02:09 PM
Rock Island Armory Armscor 45ACP 1911 Handguns from $399 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 03-18-2015 12:43 AM
Rock Island Armory 1911 45acp Matte Nickel - $389 shipped after $50 MIR slickguns.com For Sale 4 08-19-2014 02:23 PM
Rock Island Armory 1911 GI Pistol .45 ACP 5" 8 Rnd Parkerized - $359.99 + $12.98 S/H slickguns.com For Sale 0 04-25-2014 06:09 PM
Armscor Rock Island Armory 1911 Pistol .45ACP 5" 8rd Parkerized - $324.99 + $5.99 S/H slickguns.com For Sale 0 12-10-2013 12:57 PM
10mm Rock Island Armory R1 1911 Tactical 5" barrel 8 Rounds Scaled VZ G10 - $599 slickguns.com For Sale 1 12-11-2012 12:59 AM
Rock Island Armory 1911 kd7one Pistol and Revolver Forum 20 03-14-2011 03:15 PM
Rock Island Armory 45 Half Moon Tune Pistol and Revolver Forum 18 04-16-2010 09:04 AM
rock island armory 45 cal 911JB Firearms General Discussion 9 03-12-2009 09:44 PM

Old 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM
Humble Coffee Maker

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,028 Posts
Default Rock Island Armory GI 1911

Advertise Here

So I am looking at getting a RIA 1911a1 GI .45 ACP. Just the standard GI model. I have been getting back into 1911's lately and got a brand new colt. I love the thing and don't mind getting it beat up but would also like a 'cheaper' gun that I can take camping/hiking with me etc. that I can really abuse. Anyone had any experience with these? I actually had one WAY back when they first came out but never shot it or used it much and traded it off. Let me know. I want to be able to trust my life to it. Don't need to shoot beautiful groups or anything....it just has to be reliable and work. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ranger375 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,101 Times in 451 Posts

My friend recently purchased a RIA 2011 Tactical and was praising it so much that 3 of us took a range trip last weekend to give it a run; the result is I'm now looking for one to purchase and the 3rd friend is saving the money to get one as well.

It shot well, was solid in the hand and gave us no impression that it wasn't well worth the money.

I'm actually looking for the RIA Tactical Model without the rail, I have no need for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lowne For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 PM
I told you so!

Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,639 Posts

I have an RIA officers model I have shoot hundreds of rnds through it no failures at all great 45 the only thing I don't like is the grip safety rattles when I walk I think the spring needs to be bent a little. I don't think you can go wrong with an RIA. JT
The Following User Says Thank You to wasniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Prepared

I have the GI model and have had no problems and really like the gun, my only complaint is the sites, and it looks like it would be pretty expenive to put better sites on it.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,886 Times in 4,675 Posts

I can't speak on RIA, no experience with them. But for conceal carry I like the shorter barreled 1911s.

Buds has an RIA Officer in .45 for $417

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411539804
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry View Post
I can't speak on RIA, no experience with them. But for conceal carry I like the shorter barreled 1911s.

Buds has an RIA Officer in .45 for $417

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...s_id/411539804
just bought one of these today. hope to take it out and shoot it tomorrow, but most likely will have to wait until the weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to kylerimb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 10:04 PM

My Rock GI has been very accurate & reliable but I haven't fired may HP's through it. From what I hear they shoot ball/FMJ well as that is what the GI was designed for. Some people have had good luck with them feeding HP's and some haven't.

There has also been some complaints about hammer bite on the GI models. I don't have big fleshy hands. So it hasen't been a problem for me. Not sure if it would be for you?

Just some things to consider about the GI model. If I could only own 1 rock. As mentioned I would go for the tactical model. But IMO the GI is a great pistol for the $$.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Prepared

Use the search feature of the forum. i JUST did a review of the Rock Island 1911 about 3 - 4 weeks ago. Its an awesome gun. Mine is dead accurate. Had problems feeding hollow points at first, but after the initial 500 rounds it feeds hollow points like it was made to, even though it says its made for FMJ rounds in the included instruction manual.

If you care about how the gun looks after carrying it/using it, dont buy this gun. One little scuff or BELT HOLSTERING!! will scratch the finish. Mine has a few scrapes on it after 4 weeks carrying and use, but nothing to cry about. Just normal wear marks. The gun feels great, and actually shoots better than my buddy's springfield 1911. You can get an RIA 1911 for 379 at budsgunshop.com or 700 for a springer. The RIA is the best value for the money, and it is an awesome gun.

Don't listen to any of the ******* on here telling you to get a shorter commander sized gun. Get a full sized, with arguably better accuracy. Don;t get a woman's gun that isnt a full sized 1911.

The recoil on it is very balanced, considering the heavy weight of the gun compared to polymer .45s. If you want better sights, which you will after shooting it in low light conditions, go for a tactical model with novak adjustable white dot sights. The extra $60ish is worth it. It will cost you a LOT more to buy the adjustable sights and have them put on by a gunsmith, which I assume you will unless you are a precision machinist and know about gunsmithing.

If you want a good HEADSHOT gun for a great price at under 400 bucks, get the RIA mil spec 1911. If you want to spend a grand and get all the bells and whistles, stainless gun, get a Kimber.

If you write a review of this gun after you decide to get one, make sure you shoot 300 rounds out of it beforehand. It recommends a 200 round break in period. Make sure you spend the $100 to do this the first time u take it to the range. Then shoot another 200 rounds. You will be very pleased.

your RIA will shoot better than your colt and you will wish you had saved that 600 bucks to buy another RIA with
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allmightyoz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 09:09 PM

A simple solution to feeding issues with hollow points is to use Hornady Critical duty, Critical defense. Both feed extremely well.
The Following User Says Thank You to elkriver hunter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2016, 10:46 PM
Semper Fi, 29 Palms, CA

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,158 Posts

I have the RIA Tactical model and it has been accurate and reliable. I HIGHLY recommend it over the GI for the reason that the upgrades (sights/beavertail/etc) will cost you more to get added later then they add to the cost of the gun over the GI model.

For HP try to stay in the 185Gr size as that big hole on the nose makes the 230Gr ones a bit long to reliably feed. My Tac will feed those but not the 230Gr versions but that is something MANY 1911s have trouble dealing with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 03:28 PM
Humble Coffee Maker

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,028 Posts

Holy thread resurrection new guy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ranger375 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Prepared

My RIA GI has been getn beat around for over 10yrs. Countless rounds & yes I do bet my life on that pistol, I don't leave home with out it. Still accurate, qualified for my CHL with it. That's one tuff 1911, eats hollow points all day long.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 PM
Trapper

I owned a used, and looked abused RIA. My Brother in law wanted to buy it. and let his son(a new gunsmith student) work with it a while.
Sold it and soon brought home a brand new 1911 GI Rock Island for myself.

What a difference. My older one had prolly 5000 rounds, and rattled a little. Shot fine though.

New model was a dream to shoot, hollowpoints no problems. Nice parkerized finish added new grips and good to go.

They aren't a Colt, or a Kimber, but for a house defense, trail, field, CCW, work well.

Saw my Brother in Law, and he handed me my old gun back, in pieces. Son quit school, didn't re assemble the Rock. With some You Tube help, we reworked the RIA, and sent the slide to be hard chromed.

Got a new barrel from Brownell, and put new spring kit from a Colt. Minimal fitting needed, shot well. Since it looks great, Son wants to buy from Brother In Law.

He asked me, I told him it's his, do whatever you want. Declined the sale, said he had too much good learning about 1911's to still learn. Attaboy B-I-L.
Now he is learning.
Do not let haters out talk the good side of RIA 1911's.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmightyoz View Post

Don;t get a woman's gun that isnt a full sized 1911.
Brilliant advise. Don't buy a commander sized 1911. Before you know it, you'll be wearing high heels and a dress. Your man parts will fall off and you'll probably start using tampons.

And some people say gun people are primitive and stupid. Au contraire mon ami!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KLR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2016, 01:03 AM
Semper Fi, 29 Palms, CA

Thanked 2,961 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtScott14 View Post
I owned a used, and looked abused RIA. My Brother in law wanted to buy it. and let his son(a new gunsmith student) work with it a while.
Sold it and soon brought home a brand new 1911 GI Rock Island for myself.

What a difference. My older one had prolly 5000 rounds, and rattled a little. Shot fine though.

New model was a dream to shoot, hollowpoints no problems. Nice parkerized finish added new grips and good to go.

They aren't a Colt, or a Kimber, but for a house defense, trail, field, CCW, work well.

Saw my Brother in Law, and he handed me my old gun back, in pieces. Son quit school, didn't re assemble the Rock. With some You Tube help, we reworked the RIA, and sent the slide to be hard chromed.

Got a new barrel from Brownell, and put new spring kit from a Colt. Minimal fitting needed, shot well. Since it looks great, Son wants to buy from Brother In Law.

He asked me, I told him it's his, do whatever you want. Declined the sale, said he had too much good learning about 1911's to still learn. Attaboy B-I-L.
Now he is learning.
Do not let haters out talk the good side of RIA 1911's.
I definitely agree with that statement, as my Rock Island Tactical sure DIDN'T come with the non-parallel frame rails that my Kimber Pro CDP II did (along with several other issues). A defect that Kimber's Customer Service told me was acceptable to their QC standards and declined to replace the frame.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:17 AM
Prepared

My buddy, who is a gunsmith urged me to get a RIA rather than a more expensive Springfield. I recently purchased the RIA "Tactical" model. The difference between the tactical and the GI are the sights, grips, trigger and beaver tail. All things most people complain about in the GI model. I think it's only a $60 difference. The extras are worth it in my opinion.

I still have less that 200 rounds through mine. They recommend 500 as a break in period, so keep that in mind when you read the next statement. I have had MANY failure to feeds with it. All with the factory Armscor magazine that comes with it. Most of those were on the 6th round in the magazine. I bought an aftermarket Chip McCormick mag and have had 0 failures when using that magazine. I just purchased a couple more magazines today at the gunshow. They appear to be good quality "no name" mags. This is my first 1911. I've been told by a buddy that 1911's can be finicky when it comes to magazines. I need to get her out a little more often and finish up the 500 round break in. I want to do some experimenting to see if it is the pistol that is finicky about magazines, or if the factory mag is just a total POS. I suspect the latter to be the case.

Other than the FTF issues the only other gripe I have is with the sights. The sights that came installed from the factory are all black. I have had a hard time picking them up at the range. They are Novac style, so they should be easy to change, I just need to get off my lazy butt and do it.

I'd been wanting a RIA for a while, but refused to buy a pistol that looked more like a billboard than a firearm. I was glad when they switched to the smaller logo just under the rear sight.

Like I said RIA does cheap out in a couple of areas, but all in all I am pleased with my purchase. I only paid $450 for mine new in the case. Even after I put on better sights and buy a few more quality magazines I will still have less invested than some of the more "reputable" brands. All in all I am happy so far, and I would classify it as a "high value" item.

Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Victemizer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2016, 01:23 PM

They are great for the money and then some. Seen one that had to de sent back to the factory but was fixed and returned ASAP. I know their customer service is very good.

But I would have to say that since the price hike, you might want to look at the Ruger SR1911 for just a few dollars more. Can't say enough great things about them. And only about 75-100 dollars more than the RIA. And I think the trigger on the SR1911 is way better than the RIA.

One thing about the RIA, a co work did a group buy and got ten of their 9mm/22TCM pistols and they are the funniest pistols to shoot! Sorry I missed that buy! And their 38 Super pistol is awesome as well!

I have a dear close friend that is a Nam vet and retried Army vet that carries his RIA GI model daily. He is like my father and his son and me went in and bought him it for his birthday a few years ago back when they were about $350. He says it reminds him of his Remington Rand 45 he carried in Nam. He has two Colt 1911s that sit in the safe. He just loves the RIA better. He says of it doesn't rattle when you shake it, it's not good for combat. I trust his words.

Lefty
Old 04-04-2016, 07:51 AM
Awakened Citizen

I had one and loved it! I only got rid of it in a trade for a Pap M92 AK pistol. I've been trying to win one at a gun bash but haven't won pick of the table to do so. I did win 3 other times but they were pre selected.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbo082 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2016, 06:03 PM
Hellenic Idealist

Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,344 Posts

I bought my first Rock GI four years and a couple thousand rounds ago. Never had ONE issue with it. I've fed it every kind of 45 ACP imaginable and zero issues. The only thing I've changed on that first RIA were the grips. I swapped out the orange/tan wood grips for hogue grips. It's a bit clinky but 100% reliable to this point. I've grown my RIA collection to four 1911's , I picked an additional GI full size and two commander short barrels . They are just as Rock solid(no pun intended ) as my first. This is coming from someone who owns, Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Remington & Desert Eagle etc, 1911's. The best part is not one of them cost me more than $400 !

They aren't as pretty to the eye like the Kimbers but I value practical vs tactical/cosmetic application. You can't go wrong adding a Rock or 3 to your collection.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmightyoz View Post
Don't listen to any of the ******* on here telling you to get a shorter commander sized gun. Get a full sized, with arguably better accuracy. Don;t get a woman's gun that isnt a full sized 1911.

If you want a good HEADSHOT gun for a great price at under 400 bucks, get the RIA mil spec 1911. If you want to spend a grand and get all the bells and whistles, stainless gun, get a Kimber.
I guess I skipped the woman's model and went straight to the little girl's, as I bought the RIA Ultra compact Officer's model last year. It functions well with the Mecgar mags I bought. It is very easy to carry, and it doesn't interfere when carrying my purse or playing with Barbie! Lol

Two to the chest works just fine for me!

P.S. I have a full size Charles Daly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ammoyankee For This Useful Post: