Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Default Best Freeze Dried Food?

Advertise Here

Im looking to find one of the best long term Freeze Dried Food companies to purchase a supply for the family incase of disaster,etc and food shortages?
Im looking for the type of food packs that you would just need to add water.
I have heard of a few different companies such as Mountain House, etc.
What type of Freeze Dried Food and what Company would be the best to order from?
Thanks Much
Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 31,578 Times in 6,678 Posts

I like mountain house

Order from here

http://www.safecastle.com/
http://beprepared.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 09:44 PM

Costco sells their own version of Mountain House made by Oregon Freeze dried. Cheaper too. Look at their cite under emergency supplies.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:46 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 13,751 Times in 5,493 Posts

You can feel safe buying Mountain House - it's great. If you purchase any other brand, get a small quantity first and try it to make sure it will work for you and your family.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM

I like Daily Bread too. Good stuff.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Hunter

I'm a huge fan of Backpacker's Pantry. Their asian dishes are so freakin' awesome. Kung Pao Chicken is my absolute favorite. I can't stock it because if I do, I'll take it on every trip I take and sometimes just cook it at home...LOL...

Mountain House is good stuff too. I like spicy foods, so Chili Mac rocks from Mountain House.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:45 AM
Prepared

I always liked Richmoor and Backpackers Pantry more than Mt. House.

My biggest problem with freeze dried food is the sodium content. I have high blood pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to indiandave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Prepared

Mountain House Some stuff is a little salty but we use extra ingredients to mix in to help lower the saltiness and stretch the meals per can like extra beans in the Chili Mac or Rice with Sweet & Sour Pork.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7.5mas For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,601 Times in 1,274 Posts

Mountain House period. they are consistently good and have been around a long time. Good people.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,234 Times in 734 Posts

Add another vote for mountain house and for backpackers pantry. As mentioned Chili Mac from Mountain house is great as is the beef stew. I like Back Packers pantry's breakfast better than Mountain house. These are my staples for all of my back packing trips.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:56 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,498 Times in 6,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo77 View Post
Im looking to find one of the best long term Freeze Dried Food companies to purchase a supply for the family incase of disaster,etc and food shortages?
Im looking for the type of food packs that you would just need to add water.
I have heard of a few different companies such as Mountain House, etc.
What type of Freeze Dried Food and what Company would be the best to order from?
Thanks Much
First I would like to say Welcome Leo77! Enjoy this great Place..Lots of good info on many things...There are many Freeze Dried Food (long-term) companies out there....Mountain House is a good one! There are choices to make on taste...many of these companies offer free samples. One that I know of and use personally offers some:** Get your samples and try out the food...find one you like...Get some. Here is the sample pack:

http://lastresort.mygofoods.com/prod...a-free-sample/
Old 02-29-2012, 08:57 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 2,809 Posts

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM

I already have some M.H. but has anyone tried AlpineAire? I was thinking about purchasing some and wanted to get some feedback first, thanks.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Tough Chick

Thanked 3,324 Times in 1,369 Posts

Mountain House vote again. I have not been pleased with Backpacker's Pantry. Overall, I felt their taste, texture and quality was lacking. MH never fails to deliver great flavor.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:10 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 15,498 Times in 6,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Dakota* View Post
I already have some M.H. but has anyone tried AlpineAire? I was thinking about purchasing some and wanted to get some feedback first, thanks.

`Never tried AlpineAire....I will find and check out the site...and see if they have any free samples I could try...been pretty happy with what I have been using....**I like something I buy it in bulk...of course taste and price is important...That is why I like free samples (just shipping cost)...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,234 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktx View Post
Mountain House vote again. I have not been pleased with Backpacker's Pantry. Overall, I felt their taste, texture and quality was lacking. MH never fails to deliver great flavor.
I have had some BPP that I wasn't crazy about, but their breakfasts, IMO, are the best.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:18 PM

I order from REI when I want to sample new freeze dried brands. Free shipping for members, and 10% discount if you order more than 10 packs (I think).

Living outside of the contiguous US, shipping is a big issue for me. So Amazon wins for Mountain House #10 cans--free super saver shipping and (usually) fair prices.

As for what brand, Mountain House is my #1 pick. I've tried a few others, Backpackers Pantry, Wise foods, Thrive, though my experience with them is limited. I know that Mountain House is high quality and consistent. I've tried most of their foods, and I've liked most that I've tried. The exceptions being Sweet and Sour Pork (though my family members liked it), Scrambled Eggs with Ham (far too salty for me) and maybe one more, I can't remember.

Couldn't hurt to try other brands, ALWAYS try before you bulk buy.

I like Thrive for their variety. Their fruits and yogurts (yeah, freeze dried yogurt!) are good, delicious as healthy snacks. Not all their stuff is freeze dried though, take note of that. Also, they are a much younger company and their quality may not be as consistent as Mountain House. They are experimental though, which I think is great. I heard they are attempting to freeze dry taro!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 PM
all is ... well but here

If you want the best bang for your buck ...... shipping is included with price Easy Meal is made by the same company that makes Mountian house brand.... and is shipped to you in 7-10 days there service and price beat Emergency Essentials am still waiting for Emergency Essentials to process my order i placed two weeks ago they are swamped right now.....

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...t75277&topnav=

Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREBLADE View Post
[U][B][COLOR="SeaGreen"] Still waiting for Emergency Essentials to process my order i placed two weeks ago they are swamped right now.....

No kidding. I'm still waiting on my order too. I've noticed both times I've ordered they would charge my card. Then a couple days later the transaction would be gone from my bank, then the charge would show back up again. I've never been double charged, but it is a hassle when I check my account and never know if the payment posted or not.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athanasius View Post
`Never tried AlpineAire....I will find and check out the site...and see if they have any free samples I could try...been pretty happy with what I have been using....**I like something I buy it in bulk...of course taste and price is important...That is why I like free samples (just shipping cost)...
I ended up just buying a couple packages on Amazon a minute ago for less than 10 bucks. It will be here Friday so I'll post my results for AlpineAire. Let me know if you try it out.