Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-28-2012, 03:19 PM

Default Big berkey

Advertise Here

I live in California and just ordered a big berkey water filter, then recieve an email stating that big berkeys cannot be shipped to california due to a lead free law. how freakin ridiculous is that. It makes me question what california is putting in the water.

Last edited by jfountain2; 02-28-2012 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: no bypassing the language filter
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,188 Times in 3,987 Posts

Yeah, I think that has been going on for a while.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 9,610 Times in 3,819 Posts

You should be glad.

Read all about the problems and failures.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...erkey+problems

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,235 Times in 661 Posts

yep, thank California for preventing some major headaches.

What are you wanting it for? Berkey type gravity drip filters are good for cabins and other places that don't have running water. They aren't practical for travel and they take up room on your counter. If you have running water, just get a countertop filter that screws onto the end of your faucet. Cheaper and just as good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highwater Filters For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwater Filters View Post
yep, thank California for preventing some major headaches.

What are you wanting it for? Berkey type gravity drip filters are good for cabins and other places that don't have running water. They aren't practical for travel and they take up room on your counter. If you have running water, just get a countertop filter that screws onto the end of your faucet. Cheaper and just as good.
Man that hurts from laughing reading that BS statement. Berkey makes a superior product, an one is in my Preps...To travel with and sit on he counter top when needed... Potable water is important! What are you going to do when the water does not run out of the Faucet any more...Sweat.. but that will not help the situation when a Berkey will filter whatever you stick in it.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 16,005 Times in 6,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorBust View Post
I live in California and just ordered a big berkey water filter, then recieve an email stating that big berkeys cannot be shipped to california due to a lead free law. how freakin ridiculous is that. It makes me question what california is putting in the water.
You will never be subject to lead contamination. I think that it's great that the state looks out for you guys. Wonder how long it takes to die from lack of water ( three days? ) versus lead poison. (years? )
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Man that hurts from laughing reading that BS statement. Berkey makes a superior product, aone is in my Preps...To travel with and sit on he counter top when needed... Potable water is important! What are you goinig to do when the water does not run out of the Faucet any more...Sweat.. but that will not help the situtation when a Berkey will filter whatever you stick in it.
lol, what will I do? How bout sell a lot of portable water filters that aren't subject to fail?

Did you not even follow ONE of the links provided?

geez. keep on laughing. I'm laughing with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Highwater Filters For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,106 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwater Filters View Post
lol, what will I do? How bout sell a lot of portable water filters that aren't subject to fail?

Did you not even follow ONE of the links provided?

geez. keep on laughing. I'm laughing with you.
Never ceases to amaze me how people in sales always knock the competition weather it is Ford VS Chevy, Harley Davidson VS Honda, Amsoil VS Mobil 1, Napa parts VS dealer, etc, My product is VS their product... an now Water filters...Whats next ???? Medical Marijuana use VS Recreational Marijuana use??
Old 02-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Never ceases to amaze me how people in sales always knock the competition weather it is Ford VS Chevy, Harley Davidson VS Honda, Amsoil VS Mobil 1, Napa parts VS dealer, etc, My product is VS their product... an now Water filters...Whats next ???? Medical Marijuana use VS Recreational Marijuana use??
yeah, funny how businesses do that. There oughta be a law, eh?

Unbelievable. Do you suggest that I praise Berkey for their epic failure?

Sorry to point out the flaws of my competition. The truth is that I explored the possibility of selling Berkey but they didn't pass my standards.

I understand that in business and politics some don't like it when the competition gets disparaged. There was once a candidate who didn't do it. I forget his name.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Highwater Filters For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 10:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,284 Times in 549 Posts

I looked at all of the links provided. All, but one, describe the glue issue on the black elements. The other is a wing nut issue. Having dealt with Berkeys for years, I would like to point out a couple of things.
I have heard no issues with any of the white elements.
If you over tighten a plastic nut you will ruin it. If you set the washer for the elements in a window sill for a few minutes they will soften up a bit and seal without cranking down on the nut. Slowly putting tension on the nut will allow the somewhat hard washer more time to seal.
As for the glue issue....
I have never had a glue issue with any of the elements I have purchased so I cannot state what the issue actually is. I do know that if you turn them on the side when they are full of water it puts a lot of stress at the base. They shouldn't be moved a lot when full of water or handled roughly for the same reason. It seems odd to me that on a board like this that I keepnseeing people saying that they have one, but have never used it. Any gear you haven used should be considered defective until you use it. I am also of the mind that two is one and one is none. Have a backup. It can either be another element, or another style of filter, but something as important as water should have multiple avenues to get it clean. I have several of the smaller portable filters and I have a few other elements from other vendors, like monolithic.
The choice is yours as to what filter you go with. My hope is that you go with more than one. Ten people, or even a hundred people complaining about any product doesn't make it bad, it just means you should do your own testing. How many people here have heard about the Toyota issue of unintended acceleration? How many people know that the actual problem was that the customers who had the issue had bought cheap floor mats that had bunched up at the pedal and caused it. How many know that Honda had the same issue several years ago, caused by the same thing?
Like I said earlier, I don't have a failed filter to look at. I also don't know how the people that have the issue handled the product? Did they prime it and then carry it around by the stem? Was it kicked around during shipping? Whas the glue just not put on at the right temperature or the right amount?
I will finish by saying that you should always test any equipment that you buy before the time that you have to depend on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to LEPER For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 12:01 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,059 Times in 364 Posts

I have an Aquarain filter, and its excellent.
i dont know how anyone can ignore the many reports of berkey failure, but oh well.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,480 Times in 33,057 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEPER View Post
It seems odd to me that on a board like this that I keepnseeing people saying that they have one, but have never used it. Any gear you haven used should be considered defective until you use it.
That's a pet peeve of mine too. I constantly stress that people should thoroughly test absolutely everything that they may have to trust their life to some day. Not just once or twice. But enough to become intimately familiar with it. This means BOBs and all gear therein, emergency foods, water filtration and treatment, weapons, tools, lighting, heating and cooking solutions, clothing, etc.

We've had a large number of threads over the years from folks who's utilities went out, and the lessons they learned from it. It's critical that these lessons are learned ahead of time, as in a crisis, mistakes could be lethal. Yet more reason to test everything, including your plans. These threads showed that often, even the plans themselves are faulty, or that certain aspects were overlooked in implementing them. One of the best preps you can make is to turn off the utilities for a couple days and see if you've overlooked anything.

Master your gear. And like with anything in life, once you master it, raise the bar and start again. Anything else is just gravitating to the lowest common denominator.

Last edited by MikeK; 02-29-2012 at 01:27 PM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM

As an alternative you might try the Katadyn Ceradyn and Gravidyn gravity filters. I have a Ceradyn at the BOL...

You can get them off of Amazon.com for a much better price than the Berkeys.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:17 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,736 Times in 2,291 Posts

So does the People's Democratic Republic of California think Berky's introduce lead to the filtered water, or have some lead in their manufactured product, or filter all the bad stuff EXCEPT for the lead in the water? It doesn't make sense. Then again, nothing California does makes sense. TP
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 01:47 PM
I am a woman. :o)

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
That's a pet peeve of mine too. I constantly stress that people should thoroughly test absolutely everything that they may have to trust their life to some day. Not just once or twice. But enough to become intimately familiar with it. This means BOBs and all gear therein, emergency foods, water filtration and treatment, weapons, tools, lighting, heating and cooking solutions, clothing, etc.

We've had a large number of threads over the years from folks who's utilities went out, and the lessons they learned from it. It's critical that these lessons are learned ahead of time, as in a crisis, mistakes could be lethal. Yet more reason to test everything, including your plans. These threads showed that often, even the plans themselves are faulty, or that certain aspects were overlooked in implementing them. One of the best preps you can make is to turn off the utilities for a couple days and see if you've overlooked anything.

Master your gear. And like with anything in life, once you master it, raise the bar and start again. Anything else is just gravitating to the lowest common denominator.

Very true; we just had a day or so w/o water, everything else (electrics, etc.) was still fine, and even then we noticed some real holes in our water plans. Nothing like good ole experience! :o)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keepingon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 04:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,421 Posts

Quote:

we got a big berkey and have used it for a week when the pipes from the well house froze (the lamp burned out overnight) melted snow and ran the water through it worked fine no leaks no gastro-problems now admittedly it wasn't a mud puddle but had it 2 years now and not a problem 1
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,284 Times in 549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getFOODnow View Post
i dont know how anyone can ignore the many reports of berkey failure, but oh well.
If this was directed at me, I think I explained it in my post. Without seeing, first hand, I can't say if it a manufacturing issue or an end user issue. 5 currently in use with years of use and 7 more that have been used and put back away.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Patriot View Post
So does the People's Democratic Republic of California think Berky's introduce lead to the filtered water, or have some lead in their manufactured product, or filter all the bad stuff EXCEPT for the lead in the water? It doesn't make sense. Then again, nothing California does makes sense. TP
the issue is that California requires that the components are tested for lead. It seem ridiculous since the filtered water should already be tested, but really they shouldn't be using components that contain lead.

The tests should be more affordable. The manufacturer chose to refuse to do the tests and now they can't sell to Cali or Iowa. It seems to me that they are cutting off their nose to spite their face, unless they think their product will fail.

Does anyone know where the stainless canisters are made?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Highwater Filters For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Hiker

Quote:

I ran black Berkeys all last summer at my BOL filtering lake water for household use and for drinking. No problem. In fact, they worked great. Last week I tested some recently purchased filters, and they also worked great. I will use those also this coming summer.
Woodchuck.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Dog Walker

I use a Berkey every day. I received a defective black element with the glue not sealing the base correctly. I emailed the company & received a response in less than an hour. I had replacement elements overnighted to me.

A tube of food grade caulk (or crazy glue) could have repaired the seal if necessary, but I'm happy to have the vendor make it right - & they did.