Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Fecal Expert

Thanked 3,293 Times in 935 Posts
Default SUV vs. Pickup

Advertise Here

Thinking ahead, down the road when I might need another vehicle. I've been thinking that a large SUV might be more beneficial during a shtf situation. Not only could I haul everything we need, but there is also room that it could act as a shelter. I currently have a four door ram. Plenty of bed room to haul things, but then it everything need to be in the elements and not a lot of room inside.

Any thoughts on this? Currenty it is just myself, wife and son and a dog.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Outbound...

My BOV is an SUV with a trailer for extra storage. I have a family of 5 so it makes sense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sameagle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

Get a topper for your pickup.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 PM

I was going to suggest that but Meat guy beat me to it. I personally prefer the SUV style, because its all enclosed and could act as a pretty good mobile shelter. But Those that have to have the truck and want the cover, just get one. There isn't much that you can't do now a days.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,513 Times in 2,329 Posts

Camper shell.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:23 AM
VA / NC

Thanked 15,510 Times in 6,085 Posts

Get a Tahoe or Sububan - 4 wheel drive. Everyone is in one area where communication is easy. Lots of storage. Lots of electrical plug ins throughout with a few hidden comparts.

I have a trailer with mine for extra space to carry things. Always have luggage rack on top, plus the rear window will open for whatever need you may have for being able to have access out the back of the truck . They are peppy, and have tons of room. Rear seats fold down as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 AM

I agree with what others have said and being in a personal SHTF situation I wish we would of had an SUV or truck topper. During Katrina my family got hit really hard by the storm so we headed down to help. Loaded a 4 door Ram with supplies, gas and a generator in the bed and took off. Every time we stopped to top off on gas someone had to stand guard over the truck. Sure and SUV can still be broken into but your stuff is not just out in the open.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJerm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Beginner's Mind

Thanked 2,897 Times in 996 Posts

I took my camper shell off so I can see better but I'm old so maybe that isn't a problem for the OP.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:19 AM
Trapper

We have a Durango and really like the big SUV. Normally I would suggest going that way but you already have the 4 door ram.

You already know the history of your truck. If you buy something else you would have to worry about buying a lemon. Like others said pick up a camper shell and you will have lots of dry storage.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 6,905 Times in 2,461 Posts

Minivan. More room inside, better mileage, low key.

And if the s never does htf, you'll have a less expensive vehicle to own and operate, especially if gas prices go to $5 a gallon.

Az
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 AM

I've had SUV, 4X4 truck, and a van converted to a camper. When it comes time to get rid of current 4X4 truck I think I'll go back to a camper van.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymrat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,662 Times in 670 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I think what azb mentioned should be carefully considered. So many plan for an end of the world scenario that may never happen. And in doing so make significant decisions that can have real negative effects.

I think it safe to say that gasoline is only going to get more expensive. If you need a truck for your day to day life then you need a truck. But don't buy a large vehicle so you can bug out and find yourself filing for bankruptcy because you can neither afford a new vehicle nor the cost to keep the tank filled.

It sure would suck to find yourself in the position that rising gas prices pinches your ability to buy food, pay your electric bill, etc.. If you are currently on a tight budget you should be seriously taking into account fuel prices and how they will effect you in the coming years. Remember we import a large chunk of our oil. And that is really only possible due to the dollars dominance.

So whether you think the dollar's days are numbered or you believe in peak oil or you believe there will be another middle east war. The end result is the same.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Young Adult

Go OJ style with the Ford Bronco.
The Following User Says Thank You to huntercook15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 07:05 AM

Currently have a hi top conversion van set up to live out of. Have solar panels for it and a couple of agm batteries with inverter. One tank of gas gets me over 600 miles. Also ham gear and bug out gear if I have to abandon it. Lots of storage. For me only it's perfect.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:12 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 4,541 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azb View Post

And if the s never does htf, you'll have a less expensive vehicle to own and operate, especially if gas prices go to $5 a gallon.

Az
All true ...

But, included in the cost of one, is your Man Card. You have to turn it in upon purchase and use of a minivan.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,389 Times in 5,449 Posts

Quote:

Az
How is a minivan more low key than a SUV or a truck with a topper, both commonly driven. Quite frankly the minivan makes you appear a weaker target, even if it's not founded upon reason. More likely to have encounters with raiders if your vehicle looks "weaker" because most humans are shallow and not tactical thinkers.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Truth View Post
All true ...

But, included in the cost of one, is your Man Card. You have to turn it in upon purchase and use of a minivan.
My manhood is not based on what car I happen to be driving.

Az
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
How is a minivan more low key than a SUV or a truck with a topper, both commonly driven. Quite frankly the minivan makes you appear a weaker target, even if it's not founded upon reason. More likely to have encounters with raiders if your vehicle looks "weaker" because most humans are shallow and not tactical thinkers.
Your point is valid, but that appearance of weakness might work in your favor as well. Appearing weak, while not being weak, is a sort of camouflage. It depends on the circumstances.

I'm thinking in a serious shtf situation, it's not going to make much difference. Raiders gonna raid, police are going to police. It's not going to make a flying sideways fornication what you're driving.

Az
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Your point is valid, but that appearance of weakness might work in your favor as well. Appearing weak, while not being weak, is a sort of camouflage. It depends on the circumstances.

Az
Exactly, become a sleeper. Just kidding. I'd personally just get a canopy for your Ram though. That seems like the best and cheepest way to solve your problem at the moment.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

I think it depends on if you want to haul people or stuff.
Saying that, I have hauled alot of stuff in our suburban. I've hauled 2, 4-wheelers without a trailer. One in the back and one on the back rack. Full sheets of plywood & 12' lumber.
When traveling, we use a bag on the luggage rack and a rack on the back. We take out the back seat and fold down the single or double seat in the middle when needing more storage and have less people. Last time we went camping, we had the rack on the back that held a 4' cooler and a double bike rack I build for our back rack. There is lot available for a heavy receiver. I like building my own for the paticular need.
I have pulled a trailer and had a total weight of over 24,500 lb. For a suburban, a '96-'99, 3/4 ton 4X4 is the way to go IMO.
If you trade off your ram, you might keep that in mind.
When gas hits $5.00, the price of used full size SUV's drop like a rock. Pickups seem to be less affected.