Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 02-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Fat Bass Turd

Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,024 Posts
Default Fortifying a house in the city?

Advertise Here

How can I better fortify a house that is in a development with deed restrictions?

Only thing I have done is weld up a frame out of square tubing to put across my basement window. We have a security system.

Why kind of things could I do to help make things more secure?

What sort of hardware items, other than typical screws/nails and lumber should I keep on hand?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,335 Times in 1,870 Posts

Prepare to bite the bullet with a steel framed steel door. It isn't cheap but that will be my next kitchen door.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 PM

Well in case of Zombie apocalypse you should have tools on hand that are capable of making a sizable Gap in your stairs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FallenSurvivor777 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,983 Times in 7,831 Posts

Fortify it against what? Burglars? Riots? People who know you prep and THEY WANT IN?

Knowing what threat against which you're attempting to defend would help.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,020 Posts

Store sandbags in the basement to be posistioned should the need arise.
They would also help create a fallout shelter.
A heathy supply of cinder blocks might be good as well.
If I could have a basement it would already be a fallout shelter.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:44 PM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,433 Times in 3,800 Posts

One of the better ones I have seen involved an abandoned lumber yard. All I'll say is that it ain't in Arkansas, and it's still in use and "abandoned" to the usual observers.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 PM

Flesh out your BO plan.

I am in a similar situation (Houston, TX) and labored under the fantasy for many years that I could ride out a truly bad event if I could just defend the house. Then reality hit... Suburban homes are ultimately indefensible against determined foes. It is difficult to make fighting positions in an urban house. The walls are generally not very strong. Windows can be hardened by bars and film, but in the end they are still large openings in the structure that are relatively easy to get through. Ditto on doors. If nothing else they can always burn you out.

We have a good alarm system, dogs, strong storm doors, and the like, but I am under no illusions that these measures will protect against anything more than petty criminals. Any truly bad SHTF situation (like riots, total societal collapse, and random zombie infestations) will see us heading out to the BOL at first opportunity.

I'm married to my wife, not this house. The bad guys can have it, I'm getting my family out of here when needed.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to fisterkev For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:50 PM

You could look at security film on your ground floor windows, Harden your door jambs, there are kits available. Get a dog if you don't have one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slugbait For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Stand Still you Die!!

In order to secure your property as quickly as possible. I would have pre anchored and drilled holes around all windows with your choice of fastening system. When the SHTF you can have your pre cut ply-wood, window shutters, etc ready to go. Now all you have to do is throw them in place and seal it up. This might not be that applicable depending on what your house is made of.

I also have picked up a few drive way sensors that I have placed in certain spots. The great thing about these they run on batteries, and they can be turned on and off when needed.

- Good Luck!!! Plan on Bugging out!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FosterHome2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:02 PM

Having predrilled holes for anchors that you can attach plywood is a great idea if you are in hurricane or tornado prone areas.

Still, for the really bad stuff, a well thought out BO plan is invaluable. Oh, and don't forget to preposition the stocks at the BOL...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fisterkev For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:22 PM

The MOVE Organization in Philadelphia was able to fortify a house right in the middle of a city.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 AM
I AM Frankenstein

Thanked 4,197 Times in 1,354 Posts
Default some of the basics

Some of these are only going to be able to be placed DURING a SHTF moment.

Plant spikey, thorny plants in front of any windows, yucca work well.

keep a few bales of razor wire to quickly string out like giant slinkys around your place.

dig holes at outward angles and put pipe in them that end at ground level. if the SHTF you can have quick set concrete to pour in and then put smaller pipes in the ground pipes and have the tips cut at angles. this will stop most vehicles that try to break into your house. think of tank traps.

if you board up your windows, place one on the outside , then fill the inner space with paver bricks (light armor) and then put up the inside board, like a "sandwich". remember to leave shooting ports.

Buy 2 ft long rebar, alot, and a BUNCH thin, strong wire. Make something called "Tangle-foot". pound in the stakes in an odd pattern and then wrap the wire between all the various stakes about 5 inches off the ground. do not make a regualr pattern, this is meant to trip someone thats trying to move fast. gives you longer to shoot the intruder.

Look up how to make "Punji-pits", both small ones that trigger two boards with crap covered nails into the leg and foot or larger ones they fall into.

Make "funneling" areas, make intruders HAVE to go through narrow areas where your gunfire can take out more , easier. use razor wire, thorny plants, heck, the list is nearly endless.

Hope this helps!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Borrowed time For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 AM

Unfortunately, fire beats all of those defenses. It is also the favorite tool of those who are frustrated and angry that they cannot break into a dwelling.

You are deed-restricted. You are not going to be building a moat or making punji pits in your lawn. Accept reality. You can harden doors and windows, upgrade your alarm system, install lights, motion sensors, and CCTV systems, and get dogs for the ultimate backup, but you are not going to be able to make something that is defensible against the hordes in the middle of a city.

Harden the house against "normal" intrusions - crime. Develop the BO plan for anything else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fisterkev For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,317 Times in 3,901 Posts

because you are totally surrounded by other homes ..... you need to think more neighborhood vs just your singular home .... know your friends ------ know your enemies .... develope your inner sanctum but also a larger perimeter plan as well ......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Illini Warrior For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,319 Times in 574 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisterkev View Post
Flesh out your BO plan.

I am in a similar situation (Houston, TX) and labored under the fantasy for many years that I could ride out a truly bad event if I could just defend the house. Then reality hit... Suburban homes are ultimately indefensible against determined foes. It is difficult to make fighting positions in an urban house. The walls are generally not very strong. Windows can be hardened by bars and film, but in the end they are still large openings in the structure that are relatively easy to get through. Ditto on doors. If nothing else they can always burn you out.

We have a good alarm system, dogs, strong storm doors, and the like, but I am under no illusions that these measures will protect against anything more than petty criminals. Any truly bad SHTF situation (like riots, total societal collapse, and random zombie infestations) will see us heading out to the BOL at first opportunity.

I'm married to my wife, not this house. The bad guys can have it, I'm getting my family out of here when needed.
My goal is to make my home as "unattractive" to someone as I can. No offense if you're my neighbor and haven't done anything to prepare or be able to defend yourself, my goal remains the same.

It's like a police officer once told me, "you cannot really make your house burglar proof in a meaningful way...but you CAN make the guy next door a more inviting target..." Obviously I still remember that.

So I'll have some boards up, be standing watch, etc. and if necessary I'll defend my home. Where I disconnect from some of the postings here is that "they" will simply continue to throw themselves at me in waves until they succeed rather than saying, "hmm, easier pickings down the block, gang, let's keep moving."

"But your defense signals them you've got supplies!" That or it signals them I'm a cranky old bastard who's got a gun...

If they think, they'll move on. If they're animals, well, what do animals do when hunting? They go for the easiest meal possible...that won't be me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bobbers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM
Procrastinate Now

Thanked 3,185 Times in 795 Posts

does your deed restrictions prohibit burglar bars on the windows?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,178 Times in 2,148 Posts

Put an obammy sign in the yard. They will think you are in the same boat as them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,532 Times in 528 Posts

One of Jerry D Young's stories had an idea that has stuck with me.
Building flowerbeds around the house that go up to the bottom of the windows. These flowerbeds are built out of cinderblock and then filled in with dirt, and end up sticking out from the house about 3 feet I'd guess.
If someone's firing at the house, you can hit the floor and be reasonably sure that as long as you're below window level, nothing's going to come through the wall and hit you.

Someone already mentioned prickly bushes... I'd second that idea and add that you can get prickly bushes that produce food. Double duty!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifePrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,556 Times in 6,115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Put an obammy sign in the yard. They will think you are in the same boat as them.
Dude, I get you, but this stuff is tired and busted.

Sheep come in blue and red colors, or even no colors at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,722 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturday Night Sp View Post
The MOVE Organization in Philadelphia was able to fortify a house right in the middle of a city.
Only until the fire hit.
The Following User Says Thank You to rgswaim For This Useful Post: